• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charging IPhones or Kindles on the Camino

jiggy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Frances 2014
Le Puy 2015 to SJPP
Hi, How do most pilgrims charge there phones, kindles etc while doing the whole 6 week camino from St jean to Santiago. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Angelique

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
:D easy, peasey, poo.... hit up amazon and look for a solar usb battery... there are a few most are wall chargeable and solar chargeable battery extenders for multiple devices. Fairly cheap and light weight... Some come with cases etc but you really have to ask yourself "am I absolutley sure I am never going to see a power point?"

url linky for amazon products;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00449U3K0/?tag=casaivar02-20

and...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HEVBCG/?tag=casaivar02-20

most of these are easy enough to clip or tie to the top of your pack...

ward4e said:
look for a solar usb battery... most of these are easy enough to clip or tie to the top of your pack...
I can tell you are a Brissy Boy- you assume it is going to be sunny enough - in April on the Camino. Oh yee of too much faith in the sun- you might get lots of rain then :lol:
Greetings from a Kiwi who is starting to walk further north in France mid-April, and is expecting rain!
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It will be an unusual albergue that does not have a power point in a suitable position, and many of the newer ones have a power point to every bed. David

Hi Jiggy,

There are sockets for recharging phones in nearly every albergue.
All that is necessary is that you have an appropriate adapter, which can be bought in every airport.

Now practically everyone will want to recharge their phone and it is considered very selfish to take up more than one socket. So if you have kindle etc. do make sure you also bring a multipoint adapter with you and use it in such a way as that it does not block the adjoining socket.!!!

Buen Camino,
Lydia

P.S. I see David got here before me, but I let my post stand as I have at times found the power point beside my bed taken up by someone else and all other power points in use also. and because I walk on my own I feel the need of a fully charged phone for safety reasons.

Hi Jiggy,
Ditto what David, Margaret and Lydia have said. Solar may...may be good, if your lucky. This past camino I could have charged anything with the amount of sunshine we had. Previous Camino, same time of year in '08, could have used a water wheel instead, or maybe a windmill! Adapters come in some really nifty portable versions. Your Kindle, if you turn off the WiFi will last quite a length of time, like weeks on end w/o recharging. (As long as you don't roll over on the screen with your elbow, after falling asleep on top of it! :shock: )

Good luck with your planning,
Karin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A couple of quick comments on charging:

1. I purchased a three-way extension socket to plug into the power outlets. This way I never felt I was "hogging" the outlet and others could plug in as well. I used permanent Magic Marker to put my name all over the extension so nobody would accuse me of stealing it when I removed it in the morning. I just wrote "K1" all over it since that was my trail name from the Appalachian Trail.

2. The outlets in the Albergues can be, at times, VERY difficult to find. Unlike the US, there may only be one outlet in an entire room, and it can be hidden under a bed or behind something. You may have to search to find it.

3. As a rule I never worried about someone stealing my Kindle while charging. However, I did try to put it inside my backpack, or under a pillow or something to make it less "obvious." No use tempting someone. As a rule, most of the Pilgrims are very trustworthy and it is not an issue, but all it takes is one bad egg.

4. The last hundred kilometers of the Camino offers a different challenge. Unlike the longer distances, the last hundred has a number of people that are just doing the "minimum" distance to qualify as having done the Camino. There didn't seem to be the same dedication and sense of accomplishment that the longer distance pilgrims had. Many, not all of course, seemed to be just doing the 100 Km to say they had done the Camino. In O Pedrouzo, our last night on the Camino before arriving in Santiago, one woman from Korea that we had spent considerable time with, had her rather expensive cell phone stolen from the charging station. I didn't put anything there to charge because I was concerned that the station was too close to the front door and it would have been easy for someone to walk in from the street and remove something and walk back out. It was taken within a 15 minute time span and due to all the activity that morning, I strongly suspect it was someone in the building that took it and not someone from outside. At that point in our Camino there were a large number of people around that were just doing the 100 km. In that particular municipal albergue they had lockers that one could hire for 3 Euro a night and I suspect that was why. The problem the locker presents is there is no way to charge things.

I think I only had to charge my Kindle once on the entire Camino, it seems to hold a charge forever if the WiFi is turned off.

What K1 says is so true - yes there are outlets, but finding them (or finding enough of them) can be more than a bit of a challenge. I have seen phones charging in bathrooms because that was where the only outlet was! At other times they may be under beds (or above beds) or almost anywhere else.

that said, it's not like I wouldn't take my iPhone with me again. It was particularly good being able to access the internet anywhere I could get a wifi signal (in once case, the whole village). Often though, I kept it turned off until I needed it to save power as I could never be sure whether I'd find an outlet in the next albergue I stayed in.

Taking something to read (in whatever form) is also something I'd strongly recommend. The author of my guidebook said that I'd be surprised how little time I had for reading. If anything I was surprised by how much time I had!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much for all your amazing information. It is all SO helpful. I defiantly want to take my iPhone, mainly for the camera as well as texts to family members. I am still deciding about the kindle because of the weight but I love reading and I would hate to have spare time with nothing to read. I am counting the days, 149 to go,
Buen Camino

Charging a phone is really not much of a problem. There can be a very few times when you can't conveniently charge one at the albergue...but you can almost always ask the bartender to charge it while you eat lunch/breakfast. Not a big deal.

Whether to take a phone/kindle is really just a personal thing. Those who don't use them much will tell you to leave them home...since they don't want them :wink:

The same goes for those who will tell you to take a sketch book instead of a camera. The sketch book does nothing for those of us who can't sketch...even stick figures are difficult for some of us. :shock:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I personally don't see a need for both an iphone and a kindle. I'd say one or the other and go with the phone as my choice. I do 100% of my reading on my smart phone with the kindle app. It took a bit of getting used to but was worth it to not have to carry a book/laptop with me all the time. And I read a LOT. I average about 250 books a year.

On the other hand...most people do not have an unlocked iPhone that can be used with a Spanish SIM. Paying the AT&T international rates and roaming is not an option for most. They will opt to take a non iPhone that is unlocked or buy a cheap prepaid phone in Europe.
Thus...most would not have an iPhone unless they are intending to take one just for using the Kindle app. In this case taking the Kindle would probably make more sense.
I use my unlocked 4S iPhone for reading books...but again not many will have unlocked iPhones.

My phone isn't unlocked. Nor does it even have a SIM option (unfortunately). It was given to me by a friend who upgraded so it's not even active on Verizon. But, I use it with free wifi, to skype and for reading with no problems. My friend went to the store and explained that she needed to use her iphone in Europe with local SIMs for a month and they unlocked it for her, no problem. Turning off data will alleviate the roaming charges. That should be the last thing you do before you leave the US so you don't forget. Skype is cheap for calls/texts and you can even get a US number with voicemail that people can use if you really need it (this is how I run my business from the road).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
AT&T will NOT unlock a iPhone for any reason. I suppose it is possible that Verizon will do this but I do not have any experience with this.
There are only two ways to unlock an AT&T iPhone:
1. Buy it factory unlocked for $600 to $800 U.S. Dollars depending on memory (32 or 64 GB)
2. Jailbreak and unlock it yourself if you have the correct software versions on your phone.

NOTE!!!!!
This post is outdated information from 2012.
It is no longer valid.

Last edited:
One of the biggest advantages our tech toys have is that many charge by way of micro or mini USB. Example: my phone, bluetooth earpiece, bluetooth stereo headphones, iPod, Nook, headlamp battery pack (if i get the one i'm looking at from LL Bean). Having all these devices charge by mini USB cable means I should only need ONE charger for my Nook and headlamp; but I can't see carrying my Android with me in Spain (no SIM card, either :oops:), so I'll grab a cheap no-contract here and get it unlocked before I leave (maybe get a SIM prior to leaving too, checking with Spanish consulate in Boston). That leaves my camera...sigh. My camera is a Canon Powershot, but it has a proprietary battery pack. I'll look into ordering another battery (bringing available batteries to 3) and a travel charger. I think my camera, charger, case, batteries and SD cards weigh about 12 ounces. My nook weighs about 8 in its case, and the phone/charger should weigh about 6 ounces as well. At least I've decided to leave the laptop at home :mrgreen: .

Buen Camino y De Colores!
8)WanderingChristian:arrow:

My android will act as my: phone (via skype), ebook reader, internet connection (so i can work on my trip), camera, translator and more. I would love to bring my nice camera but my phone takes decent pics and it is not worth it to me to have to carry the extra charger, cables, etc. Plus, i would have to find a computer to upload pics while with my droid i can do it all with one piece of equipkent and charger. I am also bringing a small mp3 player but only because my droid battery wont last through a long hiking day. Luckily i can use the same charger for both.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can also search for Solar Charger on Amazon. Most are USB capable and very light weight. A few are under $20 U.S.

Sent using Tapatalk.

How to Use Your nPower® PEG on YouTube.

This device generates energy from your motion while you are walking. It works even during the rain on the plain, and elsewhere on the Camino. Made in Cleveland OH. I would suspect there are comparable devices made elsewhere.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know this may not actually answer your question, but my opinion is, "Leave the electronics at home."...or if you MUST have an iSomething (you know, for emergencies...) then keep it tucked away in your backpack and the battery will last 4-6 weeks. Force yourself to disconnect and take the full advantage of this adventure. Walking 7-9 hours a day "unplugged" can have a profound affect on your emotional growth and spiritual maturity. Meditate while you walk and let your mind be free to NOT focus on anything routine from your "old" life. Take an old fashioned compact digital camera, a journal and a click pen; if you must. Actually, I found that writing in my journal and reviewing photos every evening was a powerful way to stay connected to my journey and a way to focus my "mediation" the next day. I bopped into a telephone/internet cafe or used a terminal in the albergue/hostal about once a week to call home and check e-mails, but it was most jarring to my system, a profound distraction and not really a nice thing for me to experience along El Camino.

I know this may not actually answer your question, but my opinion is, "Leave the electronics at home."...or if you MUST have an iSomething (you know, for emergencies...) then keep it tucked away in your backpack and the battery will last 4-6 weeks. Force yourself to disconnect and take the full advantage of this adventure. Walking 7-9 hours a day "unplugged" can have a profound affect on your emotional growth and spiritual maturity. Meditate while you walk and let your mind be free to NOT focus on anything routine from your "old" life. Take an old fashioned compact digital camera, a journal and a click pen; if you must. Actually, I found that writing in my journal and reviewing photos every evening was a powerful way to stay connected to my journey and a way to focus my "mediation" the next day. I bopped into a telephone/internet cafe or used a terminal in the albergue/hostal about once a week to call home and check e-mails, but it was most jarring to my system, a profound distraction and not really a nice thing for me to experience along El Camino.

That is a real day without any electronics.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And there is a middle ground, where one can carry one or more electronic devices and experience the camino -- in profound ways.

I think the trick is not so much leaving the electronics behind (cold turkey), but carrying them and making a conscious decision to unplug for hours, days, or weeks at a time.

Before my camino, my iPhone was like a fourth dimension in my life -- always present, always on, always connected. Since my camino, that's changed. I unplug for hours and days at a time.

So, take your electronics with you (they might be of great help), and dare yourself to use them less or not at all.

This is actually an aspect I'm curious about. Me and my electronics and the Camino..... I bought a strong power pack and hope to find enough sockets to keep that charged.

However..... I know that I'm too addicted to that "fourth dimension", as one said here.... So let's see what happens.... I already disconnected from my blackberry after loosing it in a plane earlier this year and travelled without for a while.... So now let's see what happens to the isomethings......

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Looking at it, I am not convinced the combined solar battery units are sufficient for today's power hungry devices.
There are some quite nice larger solar panels with USB outputs which would be sufficient though I am not sure how good on cloudy days, or you can get a 50000 mAh battery with 2 USB ports for around £20 from amazon.

50000mAh should be sufficient for quite a number of days, as your typical smart phone is around 2500 mAh battery, so that would be 20 full charges... So even if you used it most of the day, you should be able to charge the batty overnight.

There is a weight penalty though. The power monkey explorer 2400mAh battery with solar charger is about 90g, the 50000mAh battery is about 480g... Depends where your priorities are I guess. Oh and the power monkey will not charge a tablet, only supplement the running time.

I took with me the EasyAcc 15600 and it was sufficient. I could re-charge my iPhone up to 6 times, which was good since sometimes we stayed without power outlets for the night or just not enough. I only had once my own power outlet at the bed.....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been testing the Levin Solstar solar charger and so far I am very impressed! It attaches easily to the back of my pack, charges up nicely (although we've been blessed with lovely sunny days here in NYC,) and quickly recharges my phone.
And the four young people behind the product are extremely helpful and willing to answer questions by phone or Facebook.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEGLLHM/?tag=casaivar02-20

We never had a problem charging our phones on the CF. We took a dual USB charging module so my wife and I could both charge our devices at once. Coming from North America, we also had to use the basic 3-prong to 2-pin socket adapter, and our biggest problem was having the adapter separate from the charging module when we unplugged. This usually happens in the morning as you're leaving the albergue in the dark and you don't notice it until you're ready to charge again. So I recommend using some electrical tape to secure the adapter and charge module together (plus take an extra socket adapter just in case).

I know others will disagree, but IMO taking solar panels and other exotic charging devices is unnecessary and adds weight to your load. If you do decide to take a solar charger, be sure to test it at home in "real world" conditions in case you find out is doesn't work so you can take or send it back for a refund. It's been my experience that any solar charger small enough and light enough to carry on your backpack will take HOURS to charge even a basic smart phone, in spite of what the specified current rating is. Those manufacturer specifications are based on optimal sunlight conditions and panel orientation, which you will never experience while walking the Camino. The slightest bit of shade on any solar panel will dramatically reduce its output. As the saying goes, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

:D easy, peasey, poo.... hit up amazon and look for a solar usb battery... there are a few most are wall chargeable and solar chargeable battery extenders for multiple devices. Fairly cheap and light weight... Some come with cases etc but you really have to ask yourself "am I absolutley sure I am never going to see a power point?"

url linky for amazon products;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00449U3K0/?tag=casaivar02-20

and...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HEVBCG/?tag=casaivar02-20

most of these are easy enough to clip or tie to the top of your pack...
Solar charging and batteries have got lot popular in recent times..You can use them as portable charging device.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since my camino, that's changed. I unplug for hours and days at a time.
Learning how to switch off - after years of being switched on - is one of the reason I'm aiming to walk right after retiring in August 2015. Taking the time to reflect and look inward, whilst learning how to move into the next chapter of my life where checking my emails 24/7 is no longer required. My husband will be very happy if I manage to switch off, my children probably less so!!
Suzanne :)

Learning how to switch off - after years of being switched on - is one of the reason I'm aiming to walk right after retiring in August 2015. Taking the time to reflect and look inward, whilst learning how to move into the next chapter of my life where checking my emails 24/7 is no longer required. My husband will be very happy if I manage to switch off, my children probably less so!!
Suzanne :)
Good advice
I found that I rarely thought about my phone and I switched it off until I had wifi at night to check in at home. I left in my Australian SIM card to discourage me from using it unnecessarily (cost).
The power packs are great and I will use one this time and leave the phone safely in my pocket.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here is a wall charger and battery all rolled into one unit, it charges the device first then the battery, I emailed the company about making one with interchangeable international plugs and was told that it is in the works, I'll buy one once they start making them.
http://www.fluxmob.com/collections/bolt/products/bolt-stealth

Here is a wall charger and battery all rolled into one unit, it charges the device first then the battery, I emailed the company about making one with interchangeable international plugs and was told that it is in the works, I'll buy one once they start making them.
http://www.fluxmob.com/collections/bolt/products/bolt-stealth

That's fairly expensive for a smallish battery. USB chargers are fairly small and light.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005NFOA0S/?tag=casaivar-21

Almost twice the battery £15.

You can find external batteries these days that will give you 2 or 3 charges of a cellphone fairly cheaply. Unless you're super weight obsessed, they are light and take up very little space. But I think there were only a handful of places I had issues re-charging my stuff. By issues, I mean I had to wait for an outlet to become available, or I had to ask if I could daisy-chain my charger to theirs. (I had converter with multiple outlets) I could see using a battery if you're concerned with theft. (Better they steal a battery than your phone or tablet.)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you use Android you can bring a spare battery for those times where charging is difficult, I did this and had to use the spare only about twice. If you use Apple products then you can get a piggyback battery + charger to fit, my brother used this on our Camino, you will get about two full charges for your phone before having to recharge the whole lot, it also acts as extra protection for the phone.

I have a spare battery and a cheap battery charger. I never have to worry about my phone as it is always with and I never have to miss an opportunity tocharger setup.jpg take photos.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.