• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All the pilgrim numbers from Santiago for the first 6 months of 2014

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola

82374 pilgrims registered at the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago in the first 6 months of 2014. This is an increase of 9.5% on 2013. The growth in the number of pilgrims from the United States of America continues to rise. One surprise in the figures is that the number of pilgrims from Australia is up 30% so far this year.

Read the full analysis here:http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com

Best wishes from Santiago

John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Johnny,
Can you tell me if pilgrims from Northern Ireland are included in the figures for United Kingdom or Ireland and would there be any plans to split United Kingdom pilgrims into their home countries ie. England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales?

Thanks for the info :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
JohnnieWalker's stats, for which many thanks, show the arrival dates and numbers at SdC.

But is there any resource that shows the start dates of pilgrims for the various departure points?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Johnny,
Can you tell me if pilgrims from Northern Ireland are included in the figures for United Kingdom or Ireland and would there be any plans to split United Kingdom pilgrims into their home countries ie. England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales?

Thanks for the info :D
Hi Balian
If pilgrims from Northern Ireland write their nationality as Irish then they will be included as Irish :) If Scots or Welsh write Scots or Welsh they will still be included under UK, a bit like the Catalans are included in Spain :)
Passports aren't checked for nationality though they are frequently requested, this is as a means of checking names as so many names are illegible on credentials. If yours is requested this is not a reflection on your ability to write, just that writing styles change so much from country to country.

I notice that on Johnnie's list there are both UK and England listed so it obviously does depend on what you say in the Pilgrims Office. For being recorded as Northern Ireland then you will need to make it clear so that they know you do not mean the Irish Republic. Otherwise say you are from the UK. :)

hello you all. Proud of being one of the portuguese in june ... and on the Camino again in end of July, God willing

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola

82374 pilgrims registered at the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago in the first 6 months of 2014. This is an increase of 9.5% on 2013. The growth in the number of pilgrims from the United States of America continues to rise. One surprise in the figures is that the number of pilgrims from Australia is up 30% so far this year.

Read the full analysis here:http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com

Best wishes from Santiago

John
Thanks for the information . Interesting !
Um abraço disso lado do mundo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My impression on the Camino Frances this May was that there were a lot more Canadians than from the UK.

The statistics prove me to be wrong.

Today was the first day with over 1,500 compostelas this year!

1,501 for the day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think people from Ulster can give Ireland as well as the UK it depends on the person and what they feel is right for them. I walked with two girls from Derry, one was going to give Ireland and the other the UK. You can try Northern Irish and I don't see why they wouldn't put it on.

I think people from Ulster can give Ireland as well as the UK it depends on the person and what they feel is right for them. I walked with two girls from Derry, one was going to give Ireland and the other the UK. You can try Northern Irish and I don't see why they wouldn't put it on.

Hi, Mike (I think we missed each other in Santiago by a matter of hours, or maybe we even overlapped and didn't know it!!),

When the pilgrims come into the office, they fill in a form in which they also write their country, so you're right that someone from Northern Ireland could write in "Northern Ireland" as country of origin. But that just moves the decision one step down the food chain, because when the pilgrim office staff goes to enter the data on the computer, he or she will have to choose between Reino Unido and Irlanda. There is no "Irlanda del Norte" option. You'd think JohnnieWalker would be all over this. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

I recall meeting a lot of people from Australia on my last Camino. I just spent a week in Yosemite and there were Australian's everywhere enjoying the beauty of the National Park. Did Australia leave anyone home to leave the light on?

Happy Trails

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Laurie arrived in the square at 10.15am on the 22nd and was thinking of coming into the pilgrims office then, the walk had been quiet but a couple from Kansas City came in and dragged me off to the Convento San Francisco, so I left going to the pilgrims office to the next day.

Thanks for your posts Laurie, I might not shout it out but you are one of the people on here that I look out for. Your blog on the Levante had me glued to your postings as you walked across Spain, and it nearly swung it for me when I walked this year, but had a real hankering to walk a while in France. Hope you are OK and that the walk from Bilbao will add to your rich tapestry of Camino walks and the profound effects that they can have on you one way or the other. Is their a blog I have missed? I would love to read it, I think I am a northern routes type of guy and this is one of the ones calling me.

Hope to see you some day, it should have been two years ago but was trying to juggle what my friends wanted and a lot of other things.

Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
July 2014 had 39,581 compostelas, compared to 36,559 in 2013, up 8.2%.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is strange this Camino desire....that seems to be pulling us Kiwi's to the other side of the world.

I met a lot of Spanish who told me they were taught in school that if you drill a hole thru the earth in Spain...you would come out in NZ....give or take a bit of sea. It definitely is a long way to go. Its exactly half way round the world.

I have been twice.....and perhaps may venture back...and I still dont truely understand the "why". But im glad I went.

From my trip to NZ in 2008 I learned that Kiwi's love to travel and backpack even though they live in one of the most amazingling beautiful countrys in the world.
Good on ya!!!!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back