• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy Trails To You

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
I have finalized my travel plans, I have plane tickets in hand, and my gear is packed and ready to go. :) Training's somewhat spotty :( but there's still time to get ready and I'm feeling strong for a someone who will turn 65 at the start of this Camino. ;)
My journey will start in Lisbon where I will utilize trains, buses, cabs, and trams, as needed, and for some 250 miles, walk the Caminho Portuguese from Porto, Portugal to Santiago, Spain.
I have no idea how to do a blog, so unless Ivar says otherwise, :mad: I will use this forum to share my photos, observations, and encounters or you can friend me, Tony Rice, and follow me on Face Book. :D
I cordially invite you to join me and friend Craig as we follow the Way of Saint James.

Happy Trails Urban T

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have finalized my travel plans, I have plane tickets in hand, and my gear is packed and ready to go. :) Training's somewhat spotty :( but there's still time to get ready and I'm feeling strong for a someone who will turn 65 at the start of this Camino. ;)
My journey will start in Lisbon where I will utilize trains, buses, cabs, and trams, as needed, and for some 250 miles, walk the Caminho Portuguese from Porto, Portugal to Santiago, Spain.
I have no idea how to do a blog, so unless Ivar says otherwise, :mad: I will use this forum to share my photos, observations, and encounters or you can friend me, Tony Rice, and follow me on Face Book. :D
I cordially invite you to join me and friend Craig as we follow the Way of Saint James.

Happy Trails Urban T
Bom caminho e depois muito parabèns !

Beun Camino Urban Trekker and Craig

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
May your feet traverse sure-footed and across lovely terrain and your head remain cool and your eyes and heart relish in the marvels of the caminho!
happy trails indeed!
Bom Caminho!
Ansiao_iv.jpg

When I was a child and watched childish things I watched a modern day western series called The Roy Rogers Show. Good guys wore white and the bad guys wore black. At the end of each show Roy with his wife Dale would sing the lyrics Happy Trails To You Until We Meet Again. An appropriate farewell for the travelers of the Camino's.

Happy Trails Urban T
Hope not you walk 250 miles. 250 kms is nearer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Happy Trails Urban T
Hi Tony,

I looked up Tony Rice on fb. Too many of you : ) Can you give more identifying info so I can get the right Tony? I plan to walk the Camino Portugues in 2015. I'd like to follow your walk so I can learn.

Bom caminho.

Try Tony Rice or Tony D Rice in Sparks Nevada. That might help.

Happy Trails. Urban T

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Tony,

I looked up Tony Rice on fb. Too many of you : ) Can you give more identifying info so I can get the right Tony? I plan to walk the Camino Portugues in 2015. I'd like to follow your walk so I can learn.

Bom caminho.
Thanks Tony. I tried Tony Rice Nevada and it worked. I've sent you a friend request. -Hieu

Bom caminho e depois muito parabèns !
Bien Camino. I and other 8 camineros(?) are getting ready for our walk in 6 weeks. Am still trying to find the right bus to get me to Porto from Lisbon. I'm confused with Lisboa Oriente and another
Lisboa bus station. Does the bus from Lisboa to Tui stops at Porto? Hope to see Porto before starting the camino from Tui. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bien Camino. I and other 8 camineros(?) are getting ready for our walk in 6 weeks. Am still trying to find the right bus to get me to Porto from Lisbon. I'm confused with Lisboa Oriente and another
Lisboa bus station. Does the bus from Lisboa to Tui stops at Porto? Hope to see Porto before starting the camino from Tui. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
My good Portugese friend and forummember Diogo92 knows more about bus and trainconnections in Portugal. Send him a personal message I only bussed back from Santiago to Porto and this bus went on to Lisbon but stopped only in Vigo. Maybe from Vigo there is a link to Tui.
Last May we were at the Portugese coast north of Porto and there was a train connection between Porto and Valença do Minho which is 4 kms from Tui on the other side of the Minho river. But like most of the trains(last year we took a train from Porto to Guimaraes 60 kms and 26 stops so so take some sandwiches with you :) it is quite a journey.
Walking from Valença to Tui over the about 500 meters long bridge,built by the French Paris Eiffeltower builder George Eiffel takes an hour....due to the 1hour time difference between Portugal and Spain

Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Mel. Have you thought about taking the train. I did the other direction from Lisbon to Porto. Great!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
Kia Ora Grace! From another Kiwi. I haven't thought about taking the train. Good idea. Is that the Spanish rails Line or Portuguese rails line? Cheers

My good Portugese friend and forummember Diogo92 knows more about bus and trainconnections in Portugal. Send him a personal message I only bussed back from Santiago to Porto and this bus went on to Lisbon but stopped only in Vigo. Maybe from Vigo there is a link to Tui.
Last May we were at the Portugese coast north of Porto and there was a train connection between Porto and Valença do Minho which is 4 kms from Tui on the other side of the Minho river. But like most of the trains(last year we took a train from Porto to Guimaraes 60 kms and 26 stops so so take some sandwiches with you :) it is quite a journey.
Walking from Valença to Tui over the about 500 meters long bridge,built by the French Paris Eiffeltower builder George Eiffel takes an hour....due to the 1hour time difference between Portugal and Spain

Bom caminho
Thanks. I'm new in the forum how do you send a personal message to Diogo92. Obrigado

You can either take a bus from Oriente or Sete Rios. Probably the bus that goes from Lisbon to Tui stops in Porto, however it only stops for one hour maximum, which means that you will not have any time to visit the city.

Here it’s the Lisbon metro map:

metro-lisboa.jpg

Grey lines represent the Train system, Red, Green, Yellow and Blue represent the Underground system.

Oriente it’s the station that it’s located in a nearer position from the airport. The bus company that goes, from Lisbon to Tui, it’s named ALSA. The bus departures at 07:45AM, and reaches Tui at 3:50PM (Spain Time, CET or GMT+1. Portugal it’s GMT).

alsa.jpg

Are you counting with staying in Lisbon for one night? If so, make sure you get your tickets in advance, or you may not find a place on the bus. This because, the driver in that day, already has the route that he has to make, and it will not detour it. Try to buy them in advance online.

If you need help with another question, just PM here, or give me a reply for this post.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks. I'm new in the forum how do you send a personal message to Diogo92. Obrigado
See above That is what I meant... My good friend Diogo knows all about and is as curious as I am what happens on the forum every day ! Obrigado Diogo para contestar! :)

Last edited:
Go to the website of this forum www.caminodesantiago.me and go to the Portugese forum where you find the avatar of Diogo 92. Click on it and you get a popup and one of the possiblities is make a conversion . That is the pm ..so it is simple to do.

Thanks Diogo92. My flight arrives 11am in Lisbon. I hope to get a bus or train ride on the same day to Porto. But if not then I will stay 1 night in Lisboa. I have 4 days to spend before my walk starts in Tui..so a couple of days in Porto will be great. I checked Alsa, and the bus schedule does not show a Lisbon/Oporto..but shows a Lisbon/Tui.
Is the train schedule more favorable? Hope you don't mind if I get back to you again for more questions.
Obrigado

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Diogo92. My flight arrives 11am in Lisbon. I hope to get a bus or train ride on the same day to Porto. But if not then I will stay 1 night in Lisboa. I have 4 days to spend before my walk starts in Tui..so a couple of days in Porto will be great. I checked Alsa, and the bus schedule does not show a Lisbon/Oporto..but shows a Lisbon/Tui.
Is the train schedule more favorable? Hope you don't mind if I get back to you again for more questions.
Obrigado

ALSA works in Portugal only has in International Service. With this in mind, you can never use ALSA for a deslocation only inside Portugal. To move yourself inside Portugal, you have Rede-Expressos at http://www.rede-expressos.pt/ (departures from Sete Rios), and RENEX at http://www.renex.pt/ (departures from Oriente).

If you visit cp.pt (train company in Portugal), you can check the schedule for the trains from Lisbon to Porto (catch it at Oriente station). I would rather prefer to take the train than the bus.

And yes, you can PM me with questions whenever you want :)

You can also take the bus from Porto to Tui, but the station it's a different one from the one for portuguese companies.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ALSA works in Portugal only has in International Service. With this in mind, you can never use ALSA for a deslocation only inside Portugal. To move yourself inside Portugal, you have Rede-Expressos at http://www.rede-expressos.pt/ (departures from Sete Rios), and RENEX at http://www.renex.pt/ (departures from Oriente).

If you visit cp.pt (train company in Portugal), you can check the schedule for the trains from Lisbon to Porto (catch it at Oriente station). I would rather prefer to take the train than the bus.

And yes, you can PM me with questions whenever you want :)
Thanks. I will check out the cp.pt. you've been very helpful ..muchos gracias :)

Thanks. I will check out the cp.pt. you've been very helpful ..muchos gracias :)

Muito obrigado. I don't advise for you to say those words here in Portugal :D

O
Muito obrigado. I don't advise for you to say those words here in Portugal :D

Muito Obrigado ! The train schedules from Lisboa oriente to Porto campagna is great..almost every hour. I think I will definitely consider the train. I chose the urbanos time tables? There are 2 types of services? Are the price showing one way and vuelta? I hope my understanding of the Portuguese version is not too far off :)
pix.gif

pix_cinza2.gif

pix.gif

What is wrong with that my dear friend :)
For the first time since the second world war we Dutch shouted for the German world cup football team,defeating Argentina in the worldcup final. It is by exceptional occasion only done by this time but anyway we did. So be a little more affectioned to your neighbours :) or do I say something wrong ? Ha ha

pix.gif

Muito Obrigado ! The train schedules from Lisboa oriente to Porto campagna is great..almost every hour. I think I will definitely consider the train. I chose the urbanos time tables? There are 2 types of services? Are the price showing one way and vuelta? I hope my understanding of the Portuguese version is not too far off

You have to search for the Intercidades (IC) or Alfa-Pendular (AP) service. On the top of the page, you can always change the language either to English or French. It only displays the price for one ride. The first one it's cheaper and slow. The second one, expensive and fast. If you want to see the country in all it's glory, choose the first. If you just want to see the inside of the train while you read a book, and reach fast to your destination, choose the second.

cp.jpg

What is wrong with that my dear friend :)
For the first time since the second world war we Dutch shouted for the German world cup football team,defeating Argentina in the worldcup final. It is by exceptional ocassion only done by this time but anyway we did. So be a little more affectioned to your neighbours :)

I don't have any problem with Spain. It's almost my second country, and Castellano it's almost like my second mother language. On the other hand. other people don't find it like that way. I'm just warning mel2014 of this. I believe that nobody want's to have a problem just because he said "Thank you" on a different language ;) And yes, it already happened.

.......and follow me on Face Book. :D

Happy Trails Urban T

Hi Tony - I have sent a friend request. See you on fb.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
pix.gif

You have to search for the Intercidades (IC) or Alfa-Pendular (AP) service. On the top of the page, you can always change the language either to English or French. It only displays the price for one ride. The first one it's cheaper and slow. The second one, expensive and fast. If you want to see the country in all it's glory, choose the first. If you just want to see the inside of the train while you read a book, and reach fast to your destination, choose the second.

View attachment 11956

I don't have any problem with Spain. It's almost my second country, and Castellano it's almost like my second mother language. On the other hand. other people don't find it like that way. I'm just warning mel2014 of this. I believe that nobody want's to have a problem just because he said "Thank you" on a different language ;) And yes, it already happened.
Gracias para contestarlo !:)

Kia Ora Grace! From another Kiwi. I haven't thought about taking the train. Good idea. Is that the Spanish rails Line or Portuguese rails line? Cheers
Hi Mel, It is the Portuguese rail. I have been trying to find more info for you but I am working away from home and don’t have my old diaries. I’ll PM you if I find it.
I bussed from Seville to Lisbon, spent a few days there and visiting Sintra (gorgeous) then back to Lisbon and directly to Porto. I spent a couple of days there before heading off. Love love loved it!
Cheers, Grace

Hi Mel, It is the Portuguese rail. I have been trying to find more info for you but I am working away from home and don’t have my old diaries. I’ll PM you if I find it.
I bussed from Seville to Lisbon, spent a few days there and visiting Sintra (gorgeous) then back to Lisbon and directly to Porto. I spent a couple of days there before heading off. Love love loved it!
Cheers, Grace
Mel -I also use ‘the man in seat 61’ website http://www.seat61.com as a starting point for anything train in Europe. Here is a little extract from there referring to the Portuguese Train site
www.cp.pt allows online booking of Lisbon-Porto and Lisbon-Algarve trains.
  • The Lisbon Porto trains usually start from the fairly central Santa Apolonia station and head for Porto Campanha.
    I hope this helps - perhaps someone local to Lisbon can confirm
    Cheers, Grace

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mel -I also use ‘the man in seat 61’ website http://www.seat61.com as a starting point for anything train in Europe. Here is a little extract from there referring to the Portuguese Train site
www.cp.pt allows online booking of Lisbon-Porto and Lisbon-Algarve trains.
  • The Lisbon Porto trains usually start from the fairly central Santa Apolonia station and head for Porto Campanha.
    I hope this helps - perhaps someone local to Lisbon can confirm
    Cheers, Grace

Yes it's true, but sometimes it's better for you to catch the train in Oriente, depending of where in Lisbon you are sleeping over the night.

Hi there Mel Yes we caught the train to Porto from Lisbon and chose the high speed but more expensive trip..wonderful very quick. It went from Santa Apolonia but this was in 2007. We just rocked up, got on to the next train and were off. Lisbon is wonderful too. Cheers Jill

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back