• Portuguese

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fionele

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo August 2014
Camino Portuguese Costal Sept 2015
Buen Camino!
I need a little advice. I plan my first camino in the end of August. Really, I want to start from 14 to 22 august and finish on 2-8 September.
I've read here about crowds in august. so, what shoud be better, to start on 14th or 22? is it really possible not to find a free place in albergue in the end of august ?
and where are less people, how you think, on Primitivo or del Norte from Gijon?
and about the whether. is it really hot there? I've never been in spain. something about +30-35 °C or less?

p.s. sorry. i did a mistake!! Portuguese should be read as a del Norte from Gijon.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sorry that I can not answer your question as I have walked only the Camino Frances and I will walk the Portuguese route in September but.... just to give you something to think about, even on the French route you should be able to find space in albergues every night without too much difficulty. Also, walking, dining, chatting, etc with other pilgrims was the best part of my Camino. You may still want to avoid people for your own reasons but I thought I'd mention it. Day time temperatures in the sun, particularly in the meseta can be blistering but in the dark, particularly in the mountains, it gets cold. I sweated like hell walking in the sun in shorts & a t-shirt in the sun, needed arm covers and a buff walking before the sun was high enough and needed a fleece and raincoat to stay warm many evenings.

Buen Camino!
I need a little advice. I plan my first camino in the end of August. Really, I want to start from 14 to 22 august and finish on 2-8 September.
I've read here about crowds in august. so, what shoud be better, to start on 14th or 22? is it really possible not to find a free place in albergue in the end of august ?
and about the whether. is it really hot there? I've never been in spain. something about +30-35 °C or less?

p.s. sorry. i did a mistake!! Portuguese should be read as a del Norte from Gijon.

Hi Fionele....Welcome:)
Just finished the Primitivo Way recently and there was not many pilgrims on this route, no problem to find beds at all. I reckon end August/September will be ok too. I can highly recommend the Primitivo....its beautiful!! I think the Del Norte from Gijon would be more busy at that time with tourists and holidaymakers at the beaches. It probably will be quite warm then but parts of the way is shaded by trees which is nice!
You will have a great time.
Buen Camino
Aidan:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Al estar en el norte, más bien serán entre 20-25ºC.

Being in the north rather be between 20-25 ° C.

Hi Fionele, I don't know about timing, but I have been researching the Camino Portuguese versus the Camino Primitivo. We plan to walk next June (2015). I have settled on the Primitivo because I think it involves less walking on pavement. When walking the Frances in 2013 we found the most difficult thing was walking long stretches on pavement. Good luck in deciding! Liz

I have settled on the Primitivo because I think it involves less walking on pavement. When walking the Frances in 2013 we found the most difficult thing was walking long stretches on pavement.
Hello Liz!
Thank you for advice. I think I'll choose the Primitivo, because I want the least time to go on pavement or throu theindustrial area.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Fionele....Welcome:)
Just finished the Primitivo Way recently and there was not many pilgrims on this route, no problem to find beds at all. I reckon end August/September will be ok too. I can highly recommend the Primitivo....its beautiful!! I think the Del Norte from Gijon would be more busy at that time with tourists and holidaymakers at the beaches. It probably will be quite warm then but parts of the way is shaded by trees which is nice!
You will have a great time.
Buen Camino
Aidan:)
Hi Aidan. Thank you)
I'm really afraid of That Big Mountain between Tineo and Pola de Allande and really hot weather, but Primitivo should be really awesome)

Day time temperatures in the sun, particularly in the meseta can be blistering but in the dark, particularly in the mountains, it gets cold. I sweated like hell walking in the sun in shorts & a t-shirt in the sun, needed arm covers and a buff walking before the sun was high enough and needed a fleece and raincoat to stay warm many evenings.
oh, I see. But you speak about end of September, don't you?
I want to start near the end of august.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
oh, I see. But you speak about end of September, don't you?
I want to start near the end of august.
I walked the Camino Frances from 30 August to 30 September. The first week (near the Pyrenees) and the last week (in the mountains of Galicia) had the coldest evening. Walking in the sun those places was not too bad but it was pretty chilly before the sun was high enough (8:00am) and quite cold in the rain. In the middle of the walk, on the meseta, it could be a little chilly at night but it was burning hot in the day.

I walked the Camino Frances from 30 August to 30 September. The first week (near the Pyrenees) and the last week (in the mountains of Galicia) had the coldest evening. Walking in the sun those places was not too bad but it was pretty chilly before the sun was high enough (8:00am) and quite cold in the rain. In the middle of the walk, on the meseta, it could be a little chilly at night but it was burning hot in the day.
Ok, I understand, thank you! If I understood right, there not much way on meseta in Primitivo, so - am i right? - it will be more expectable a bit cold and windy out of mountains than chilly.
Oh, I should be ready to any weather :confused::)

what exactly do you mean like "north"?)

Pues el norte es todo lo que está de la Cordillera Cartábrica hacia arriba, donde el clima es atlantico por la influencia del océano, lo que hace que los inviernos no sean fríos y los veranos templados.

As the north is all that is of the Cordillera Cartábrica upwards, where the climate is influenced by the Atlantic Ocean, which makes winters than cold and temperate summers.

ScreenHunter_39Jul080937_zps51d0c20c.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino!

Hi Fionelle I started from Le Puy and finished in August on the Primitivo last year. It is a beautiful walk crowds is not a word I'd use as regards the Primitivo as compared to the Frances or even the Norte. You tend to see the same people more frequently as there are fewer Albergues. Being fewer albegues means you don't have the same freedom to choose your distance covered each day as you do on the Frances. However the few people I did see arriving late when the albergue was filled were not turned away - the hospitaleros accommodated them. Go for it! You will love it. Buen Camino.

As the north is all that is of the Cordillera Cartábrica upwards, where the climate is influenced by the Atlantic Ocean, which makes invienos than cold and temperate summers.
Oh, I see. Thank you a lot.

Hi Fionele,

I'm walking just a few weeks before you. (July 16-July 30). I can keep you posted on what it's like as far as crowds, weather and albergues filling up.

My biggest concern has been albergues filling up - but now, as may start day approaches, I'm worried about pack weight. Right now its less than 10% of my weight and less than 7kilo but I'm obsessively trying to get it lower.

This was a last minute trip to the Camino for me, so I hope that I'm prepared enough to complete the journey. I'll be happy to share my experience from walking in mid-July. This forum has really helped me to prepare.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Fionele,
I'm walking just a few weeks before you. (July 16-July 30). I can keep you posted on what it's like as far as crowds, weather and albergues filling up.
My biggest concern has been albergues filling up - but now, as may start day approaches, I'm worried about pack weight. Right now its less than 10% of my weight and less than 7kilo but I'm obsessively trying to get it lower.
This was a last minute trip to the Camino for me, so I hope that I'm prepared enough to complete the journey. I'll be happy to share my experience from walking in mid-July. This forum has really helped me to prepare.
hi!
I hope everything will be right with your trip. Your info abot crowds will be very helpful!) (but I will not have a possibility to cancel my trip)
I plan the route so that I'll not stay in "big" points, like Gardo for example. But everything could be.
Buen camino!

Hi,

I have walked both the Camino. My advice is chose one and walk. Personally , I prefer the Primitivo that I did already two times in August.
Buen Camino
Ultreia

Hello, Ultreia
Thank you)
I've chosen the Primitivo)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Fionele. I walked Portuguese late Aug and it was really crowded with bicogrinos and large groups of Sp holidaymakers so I headed out to the coast just before Tui. Much better. Aug is busy ! Cheers, Grace

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

As others have mentioned the weather in Asturias is never quite hot. I think Angulero mentioned that 20-25 Celsius is about the hottest you'll find and I agree. Night time can be a little cool and Asturias has a tendency to have quick weather changes. This means that sunny days are not guaranteed but cloudy and sometimes misty are very possible.

One of the reasons we are choosing doing el Primitivo next year in June, besides our love of Asturias, is the solitude and incredible beauty of the landscape. Of course the food and drink are awesome as well. If you do start from Gijón in August be aware that the fiestas de Begoña "Semana Grande" happen in August from the 8th to the 15th. In other words, if you plan to stay a night in Gijón book your hotel early as hotels fill up fast. Basically August is a busy tourist season and beach cities and towns are crowded.

Enjoy you camino and I hope you find Asturias and Galicia as gorgeous and welcoming as we always have. Buena suerte y buen camino. :cool:

jnoval, thank you a lot! Info about the wheater is really encourages me.
I start not from Gijon, but Oviedo.

€46,-
Compara la temperatura media de Oviedo, al norte de la Cordillera, con la de León, al sur de la cordillera.

Compare the average temperature of Oviedo, northern Cordillera, with the León, south of the Cordillera.

ScreenHunter_45Jul251048_zps4d309fa6.jpg

ScreenHunter_44Jul192330_zps2d96d765.jpg

Son temperaturas medias, pero te puedes hacer una idea de la diferencia que hay en el clima. Esto no quita que los días que vengas haya una ola de calor y la temperatura pase de los 30ºC o que tengas días más frescos de lo normal y la temperatura sea de 15 o 20ºC.

Pongo también Lugo.

Are average temperatures, but they can make you an idea of the difference in climate. This does not mean that you come on there is a heat wave and temperatures pass 30°C or cooler days have normal and the temperature is 15ºC to 20ºC.

Also attached the box Lugo.
ScreenHunter_46Jul251057_zpsb8cdef7f.jpg

jnoval, thank you a lot! Info about the wheater is really encourages me.
I start not from Gijon, but Oviedo.

Hello

I am Portuguese and I have just returned from the "Primitivo Camino". There is no comparison between the two "caminos". I prefer the Primitive.
The landscapes are the most enchanting but the effort is higher.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.