• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Bayonne to Irun

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi all,

I'm halfway through another summer of pilgrimage. Just finished walking the Via Francigena with one group of students and am now getting ready to return to the hordes and the Camino Frances with a second student group. In between, I had a few days in SW France, so I decided to try the Voie de la Cote. I had a day to go from Bayonne to Irun (around 40km), so this was speed-dating--not a long-term relationship by any means. I decided to stick exclusively with the waymarks, instead of pursuing route alternatives along the coast.

I confess that my views on the route are not especially positive. Probably 90% of the route is on asphalt, and that may be a generous estimate. As others have mentioned in this forum, views of the actual coast are preciously rare--perhaps you see it around 1-2% of the time. The only time you actually walk along the coast is in Bidart. There are some nice panoramas of the Pyrenees, so the route is not without scenery, but it might not be what you anticipate.

Bidart and St Jean de Luz are both pretty towns, and I thought the church in Urrugne was quite nice, so I'm glad to have passed through. But the route wasn't especially fun walking--indeed, you're often on roads with little if any shoulder and sufficient car traffic to make you uncomfortable.

For those worried about the first, stiff day out of Irun, you might consider starting in St Jean de Luz as a warm-up, as the walking is easy. Otherwise, though, if you want coastal beauty, I'd just start in Spain--or explore the coastal alternatives that would pull you from the Voie Littorale proper.

Dave

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love this path, it is my training route. No where in the world can you walk a cornice so close to the Atlantic and I don't agree with the comment about the proximity to automobile traffic. Anyone can easily start the Norte from Biarritz!

It's not the loveliest stretch of camino, I agree, but Bayonne cathedral is a wonderful place to start. If nice scenery is one's top criterion, then the Camino is probably going to be a disappointment all round because, though it does have pretty stretches, its appeal does not chiefly lie in its beauty. I urge anyone thinking of walking from Bayonne to Irun not to be put off

Are you guys talking about JUST Bayonne to Irun here, of the Norte in general?

The route from Bayonne. I think once you get to Bidart, jump on to the Sentier Littoral it sticks to the coast, still a lot of hard surface walking but it certainly gives you a beautiful entry and view of St Jean de Luz and afterwards you can cut back from the coast to stay at the Pelerin Gite in Urrugne. The voie littoral had me standing at too many busy intersections wondering which way to go next.

Interesting. I am thinking about walking to Irun from Bayonne. I have been to the Cathedral in Bayonne. IN fact I think I stayed at the Parrochia in Bayonne. Or if not that it was a big retreat center or something kind of out in the burbs. I can't remember now it was 2 1/2 years ago. Maybe someone can help me remember what that was. From there I am going for the Tunnel Route. Is it marked from Bayonne to Irun? Or will I need at the least a decent map?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love this path, it is my training route. No where in the world can you walk a cornice so close to the Atlantic and I don't agree with the comment about the proximity to automobile traffic. Anyone can easily start the Norte from Biarritz!
Hi, I'm thinking of starting directly from Biarritz airport. Is that feasible? Do you know where is the first possibility to get a stamp on my credencial? Do I need to go in to Bayonne? I just have an idea to walk from beginning to end (Finisterre/Muxia) and not set foot in a vehicle until then - but we'll see.
Thanks for any advice.
Mary

Hi, I'm thinking of starting directly from Biarritz airport. Is that feasible? Do you know where is the first possibility to get a stamp on my credencial? Do I need to go in to Bayonne? I just have an idea to walk from beginning to end (Finisterre/Muxia) and not set foot in a vehicle until then - but we'll see.
Look at Google Maps for the streets and roads out of the airport toward Irun. There may not be any yellow arrows until you get to Irun. It can be done. Stamps are less common in France than in Spain. In France they may be found in gites and mairies. Once you are in Spain, you can find stamps in bars and churches as well. As you walk along, just ask in the various commercial establishments. There is no need to go into Bayonne unless you are taking a train or bus.

There is no reason not to have a goal of no vehicles, the fewer artificial constraints you put on you walk, the more fun you will have. If you are caught at the bottom of a hill in the pouring rain in the afternoon, are exhausted, and the albergue is still fifteen kilometers away, why be burdened with a requirement that you never get inside a vehicle?:)

Hey Biarritz Don. Are you saying you like the stretch between Bayonne and Irun? If so, is it well marked?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I am actually beginning at Biarritz airport on 4 September as the walk skirts the field. First night at Ibis airport as a late flight... At least I know what I am heading for. Only as far as Bilbao due to time constraints... and having walked the Camino del Levant few months ago.

I live on the south side of Biarritz down the hill from Bidart. There is an albergue in Negresse near the Biarritz train station, they may stamp passports. I should have been clearer about walking from Bayonne. I do my training walks from my home to St. Jean de Luz and Hendaye and then take a bus home. It is about 20 km and while some of the walk is on pavement, it is a lovely route. I would advise taking a bus to Bidart from Bayonne to start thus avoiding lot of urban trekking. The bus to Bidart stops in Negresse near the albergue and for one euro you can ride a local bus for up to one hour, allowing you to get off and check for sellos at the albergue.

I live on the south side of Biarritz down the hill from Bidart. There is an albergue in Negresse near the Biarritz train station, they may stamp passports. I should have been clearer about walking from Bayonne. I do my training walks from my home to St. Jean de Luz and Hendaye and then take a bus home. It is about 20 km and while some of the walk is on pavement, it is a lovely route. I would advise taking a bus to Bidart from Bayonne to start thus avoiding lot of urban trekking. The bus to Bidart stops in Negresse near the albergue and for one euro you can ride a local bus for up to one hour, allowing you to get off and check for sellos at the albergue.

Hi Biarritzdon, thanks for this very useful information. My first couple of days on the Camino are becoming clearer. Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
FYI, I stopped at the aforementioned albergue today and asked if they stamp pilgrims passport, the look I received answered it all. You'd think I'd just landed from Mars. In other words I don't think they have a stamp. It is a very nice looking place and close to a lake and not far from shops, the train station and bus lines.

FYI, I stopped at the aforementioned albergue today and asked if they stamp pilgrims passport, the look I received answered it all. You'd think I'd just landed from Mars. In other words I don't think they have a stamp. It is a very nice looking place and close to a lake and not far from shops, the train station and bus lines.
Hi
Do you have the name and full address of this albergue, please? it sounds like an ideal place to end my first day.
Thanks for your help.
Mary

I am having Internet connection issues today, I tried to look up the address and got shut down twice. It is signposted as Albergue de Jeunesse, if you arrive at the Biarritz Gare and walk north up the hill to a round about at a shopping area know as La Negresse, you take a left walk past the post office and walk along the road under a huge highway overpass with yellow arrows pointing your way to the albergue. Hope this helps, it is on line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am having Internet connection issues today, I tried to look up the address and got shut down twice. It is signposted as Albergue de Jeunesse, if you arrive at the Biarritz Gare and walk north up the hill to a round about at a shopping area know as La Negresse, you take a left walk past the post office and walk along the road under a huge highway overpass with yellow arrows pointing your way to the albergue. Hope this helps, it is on line.
I think I found it. Is it Aintziko Gazte Etxea, 8 rue Chiquito Cambo, 64200 Biarritz?
I've sent an email to see if I can book a bed.
Thank you.
Mary

I looked it up on the map and that is the correct location. Buen Camino!

I had no problems walking from the airport to Bidart and then doing the coastal walk. The only disappointment was the grim Albergue I stayed in at Hendaye. It would have been better to go on to the Albergue at Irun. I might also have been tempted to get the ferry across the river from Hendaye and then walked along the coast on the Spanish side towards San Sebastian. Anyway I took the 'low' option on the first day rather than the alpinista way - the latter would have been much better with sea and inland views.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The albergue in la Negresse does have a cello and it's pretty cool.
The options of walking from Bayonne or the airport in Biarritz are unlimited as far as making connections to the Camino Frances or Norte. If one studies the CR routes in France they will find they can walk to Perpignan along the ridges of the Pyrenees as well, a truly wilderness trail equal in distance to the CF.

Dear Camino friends and maybe in particular Biarritzdon:) Do you know if the gîtes specific from Biarritz to Irun will be open end of december? Best Lasse

The Gite Pelerin in Urrugne is unmanned. You can ring ahead and if the contacts are not on holidays then I would assume they come to open it for you. I don't have the number, but it could be on the French Basque's association website.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am in Florida for several months enjoying the sunshine to avoiding the unpleasant winter in Pays Basque. The site for the albergue in la Negresse is: www.hibiarritz.org

The Gite Pelerin in Urrugne is unmanned. You can ring ahead and if the contacts are not on holidays then I would assume they come to open it for you. I don't have the number, but it could be on the French Basque's association website.
Urrugne
• pilgrim’s hostel (5 rue Jean Fourcade) – pilgrim’s pass required – call in advance:
Bertrand (05 59 54 33 18) or, if not present: Jean-Pierre (06 30 49 70 54) – 3
places – kitchen - 12 € - open all year

Last October the young lady in the tourist office was helpful and friendly. The hostel is a very short distance after the tourist office, assuming you are walking towards Hendaye.

That's how I contacted them, through the tourist office, but with it being late December(and France) I was not sure if it would be open.
The screensaver on my old mobile was taken from the window of this place, once you open the shutters you have a stunning view of the Pyrenees.

Hi all,

I'm halfway through another summer of pilgrimage. Just finished walking the Via Francigena with one group of students and am now getting ready to return to the hordes and the Camino Frances with a second student group. In between, I had a few days in SW France, so I decided to try the Voie de la Cote. I had a day to go from Bayonne to Irun (around 40km), so this was speed-dating--not a long-term relationship by any means. I decided to stick exclusively with the waymarks, instead of pursuing route alternatives along the coast.

I confess that my views on the route are not especially positive. Probably 90% of the route is on asphalt, and that may be a generous estimate. As others have mentioned in this forum, views of the actual coast are preciously rare--perhaps you see it around 1-2% of the time. The only time you actually walk along the coast is in Bidart. There are some nice panoramas of the Pyrenees, so the route is not without scenery, but it might not be what you anticipate.

Bidart and St Jean de Luz are both pretty towns, and I thought the church in Urrugne was quite nice, so I'm glad to have passed through. But the route wasn't especially fun walking--indeed, you're often on roads with little if any shoulder and sufficient car traffic to make you uncomfortable.

For those worried about the first, stiff day out of Irun, you might consider starting in St Jean de Luz as a warm-up, as the walking is easy. Otherwise, though, if you want coastal beauty, I'd just start in Spain--or explore the coastal alternatives that would pull you from the Voie Littorale proper.

Dave
is the walk from bayonne to SJPDP a good idea, ? we want to walk a few days before the pyrenees . all advice appreciated , have not been any where near camino before. thanks penny

Walked from St Jean de Luz to Irun recently. It was a lovely coastal walk.

Dear All,

I am a complete newbie to this site and the Camino,

I am currently staying at the abovementioned hostel in La Negresse, and I have been trying to find some shelters / albergues between Tarnos and Hendaye, but all the info I can find is about the one in Urrugne.

Is there nothing in the centre of St Jean / Luz ?

I have downloaded some PDF s from this site, but searching for "Luz" or "Hendaye" etcetc , there seem to be no entries in the PDFs.

Can anyone help me with this?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
future/tiger,

For an albergye in Hendaye try this citation. Scan the other pilgrimage possibilties on the same page for more info re the French/Spanish border area. See also this Voie de Littoral list for accommodation possibilities.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!
MM

Last edited:

Hi Don ,
We arrive after a long flight from Oz in Paris followed by Easy Jet to Biarritz landing 12.30pm
Staying @ La Maison du Lierre.
HRH says we bus to Bidart and walk 12km to either **St Jean de Luz or **Ciboure , followed by the same distance the following day to Hondarribia and Hotel Jaurequi where we have booked.

Any recommendations on hotels /pensions in either ** on the path.
We want to get rid of the cobwebs plus enjoy the views before the bigger distances following S.S

Or
Do we have one and a half days in Biaritz then train to St Jean de Luz and walk to Hendaye and then ferry which we expect to be around 19km and 5 hours ??
Any advice appreciated Don

Last edited:
Good choice of a hotel in Biarritz, it is in a nice central location just a block away from the Marche with all the popular bars and restaurants.
I guess I'd wait and see what the weather is while you are there, walking around Biarritz is fun, lots to see, do and eat.
The walk down the coast is a lovely corniche with fabulous views on a clear day. You did not mention when you are walking but if it is a busy season rooms might be hard to find. Sorry, I do not know any hotels to recommend but there are a few which operate seasonally.
You'll really enjoy St. Jean de Luz and Hendaye. I'm not clear what you mean by your ferry comment?

Good choice of a hotel in Biarritz, it is in a nice central location just a block away from the Marche with all the popular bars and restaurants.
I guess I'd wait and see what the weather is while you are there, walking around Biarritz is fun, lots to see, do and eat.
The walk down the coast is a lovely corniche with fabulous views on a clear day. You did not mention when you are walking but if it is a busy season rooms might be hard to find. Sorry, I do not know any hotels to recommend but there are a few which operate seasonally.
You'll really enjoy St. Jean de Luz and Hendaye. I'm not clear what you mean by your ferry comment?

Thanks Don,
Mid June we arrive and will turn left this time on the Norte and finish with Primitivo.
The ferry bit was across the river from Hendaye to Hondarribia , we were originally planning to walk to Irun.
Will play it by ear as you say with the weather,
We will eventually arrive back in Biarritz/Bayonne [ 2 nights] for the train to Bordeaux [ 2 nights] and then Paris [ 2 nights ] before home in August.
HRH on reading your reply has indicated 2 nights in Biarritz, train to St J and then the walk / ferry to Hondarribia.

The idea of taking a ferry from Hendaye is new concept for me but it sounds like fun. I have never been to Hondarribia but any Basque town on the Bay of Viscaya is a treasure. Make sure to try the chipiron, a grilled squid with oil and ground red peppers from Espelette. It is a local dish which I am glad the world has not discovered.
BTW, as my name belies I am from Biarritz but unfortunately I rented my apartment for the year of 2016, so I am bound to live in Florida and Spain this year.

The idea of taking a ferry from Hendaye is new concept for me but it sounds like fun. I have never been to Hondarribia but any Basque town on the Bay of Viscaya is a treasure. Make sure to try the chipiron, a grilled squid with oil and ground red peppers from Espelette. It is a local dish which I am glad the world has not discovered.
BTW, as my name belies I am from Biarritz but unfortunately I rented my apartment for the year of 2016, so I am bound to live in Florida and Spain this year.

Kept well and keep enjoying your travels
As my old dad used to say " Enjoy this side of the grass son "

We had a home exchange in 2011 after walking the Norte in Ave Des Montagnes , Biarritz.
A beautiful couple , Jacques being an old AF pilot and the 3 weeks there were bliss.
Thanks for your help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Norte from Biarritz last May/June. Stayed at Auberge de Juenesse in Biarritz which was fine. E26 included breakfast. Auberge has bar, kitchen, laundry & internet. Made the mistake of walking to Irun in one day as it was a walk of approx. 36km, and quite hot, and the Frenchman I was walking with kept saying we can go down here to the coast and walk that way. Each time we took a road to the coast, this was from Biarritz to St Jean de Luz, it was a dead end so I ended up walking about 42km. By the time I arrived at the Irun albergue I was ready for a beer or two. Biarritz is a lovely place, as is St Jean de Luz. St Jean de Luz would be a nice place to break the walk to Irun and this part of the walk around the coast is very nice.

In Ciboure we stayed in Hotel La Caravelle. It is right on the Camino. Walk outside, turn left and voila! Ciboure is a short waterside walk, 10 minutes from St Jean De Luz.

Hi there, it is possible to follow the river l'Adour from Bayonne to the coast then on to Biarritz. From there one can follow Le Sentier Littoral, a coastal trail all the way to Hendaye. It is beautiful.

Some photos (scroll down to day 318 Leaving Bayonne): https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nidaros-to-santiago-de-compostela.9259/page-5

Bidart to St-Jean-de-Luz
http://www.macotebasque.com/fr/itin...entier-littoral-de-bidart-a-saint-jean-de-luz

St-Jean-de-Luz to Hendaye
http://www.hendaye-tourisme.fr/images/pages/document/document-1439885658-95541744.pdf

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back