• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino La Faba or O'Cebreiro?

Alyssa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2014)
Norte, Finisterre, Salvador, Primitivo (2015)
Hello! I am on day 24 of my first Camino and loving it! Today in Villafranca. Question: for those of you who have stayed in both places, if you had to choose, which of these places would you stay?

UPDATE: when we arrived at La Faba we weren't ready to stop for the day so pushed on to O'Cebreiro, which we loved. Also saw what for me was the most beautiful sunset of the Camino. We didn't find the town resort-y but I will say I wasn't thrilled with the albergue for the reasons mentioned in posts below.

Additionally, La Faba looked adorable when we passed through and everyone I know who stayed there loved it. If I do the Camino again, I will do my best to stay in La Faba next time to check it out.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Alyssa

Both have their charms but there are very few places like O Cebreiro for fabulous views and just sitting and contemplating the universe. The albergue in O Cebreiro is not one of the best, though, while the albergue in a Faba gets consistently good reviews. Myself, I'd go for the views if the weather is good. But of course it's up to you!!!

The albergue in O Cebreiro looks like it was an old school or something. It's basically a few big halls crammed with bunks. It's clean but very basic.

However, I wouldnt have missed staying in the village. It is incredibly atmospheric. It is magical reaching it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Alyssa,

Without a doubt I, too, would vote for O Cebreiro. In sunshine, rain, or snow it is for me always a most special place.

This is another mystic and mythic stop on the Camino. During the middle ages due to the strong faith of one simple parishioner the wine and bread of the mass are said to have truly changed into Christ's blood and flesh. The church became famous and royalty sent priceless gifts. Today this small church is kept immaculate; it and the tiny village form a protected historic site.

Be sure to stop at the tomb of Elias Valinas Sampedro, the local priest who late last century revitalized the ideas of the camino with its network of supporting albergues and even painted the now famous first yellow arrows which mark our way. ...Never underestimate the strength of personal conviction!

Margaret Meredith

I stayed at La Faba, and would do so again. Walking up the valley with the sun rising behind me the next day was one of the most spectacular days of my camino.

Alyssa,

Without a doubt I, too, would vote for O Cebreiro. In sunshine, rain, or snow it is for me always a most special place.

This is another mystic and mythic stop on the Camino. During the middle ages due to the strong faith of one simple parishioner the wine and bread of the mass are said to have truly changed into Christ's blood and flesh. The church became famous and royalty sent priceless gifts. Today this small church is kept immaculate; it and the tiny village form a protected historic site.

Be sure to stop at the tomb of Elias Valinas Sampedro, the local priest who late last century revitalized the ideas of the camino with its network of supporting albergues and even painted the now famous first yellow arrows which mark our way. ...Never underestimate the strength of personal conviction!

Margaret Meredith
Thank you both for the info! What do you think of Casa Carola compared to the albergue? Or is there anywhere else to stay? I(I have budgeted money to stay somewhere more expensive than an albergue one night.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
La Faba is a simple Albergue run by Germans with a small chapel next to it. The town has a small tienda and restaurant.

There is also a small Hippie Albergue (La Faba) that serves a vegan meal. The fellow who runs it is a bit unreliable. It may be open or not.

O'Cebreiro has always seemed like a little resort town. It does have nice views on a clear day.

I would choose La Faba.

Ultreya,
Joe

I had planned to stay at La Faba but, at the last minute, decided to move on to O Cebreiro. I was so happy I did!

The sunset and sunrise viewed from the village were spectacular. After the tour buses leave, it feels quite magical.

We were able to attend mass. It was a special stop.

buen camino

I have always stayed in the Xunta albergue. It was originally built to be an albergue and was totally renovated in 2007; the roof steeply slopes so that the winter snow slips off. Beware of the windows in the ground floor showers/loos; there are no curtains and the windows face directly onto the path. You can see out and all who pass by can peer in!

MM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I went through O'Cebreiro around midday there were bus trippers in and it was a bit like a tourist town so I walked on to Hospital de Contesa where the Xunta albergue is basic but spotlessly clean.

Total distance for the day from Villafranca is about 34 km.

There is a very nice place between La Faba and O'Cebreiro

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like both, but usually arrive at La Faba too early (from Villafranca) and the albergue doesn´t open until 1.30 or 2.30 - I forget which. La Faba (the German albergue) is special because of its location and the church on site. if you are sensitive to such things you will experience a very special "vibe" (man).

I agree - O'Cerbriero is magical! We walked about 30k that day and loved it :) La Faba was a great stop for lunch but when we got to the top....oh wow!
We stayed at Casa Carola early Huly this year) It was 'fine' nothing amazing but clean and comfy enough. No wifi (not everyone cares about this but we did) and the rooms come off a corridor so it is a bit noisy. We had dinner included and it was nice enough. The walk the next morning in the mist was nothing short of spectacular. Two of our most favourite days on the Camino :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. It turned out that we weren't ready to stop walking in La Faba, which was darling, when we arrived at around noon from Villafranca so we pressed on to OC, where we were rewarded with a darling town (no tourist buses today), amazing vistas, delicious pulpo, and one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen...ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405457687.487985.jpg

Which proves that you can't always plan where you go, you just go on until you are done. On that day I intended to go 'up and over' but ended up at the tiny but very friendly Laguna private albergue half way between La Faba and O Cebreiro, and the people who ran it went out in a tractor in a horrendous rainstorm to pick up soaked and cold cyclists and walkers and put them up wherever there was room. I loved it and would stay there again as the walk up to O Cebreiro the next day in the sunrise was beautiful!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stayed at that wonderful German albergue in La Faba. We were following the Brierley guide and were aiming for O cebreiro, as it turned out we we tired and hurting and decided to stop in La Faba for the night. It was a great plan because the albergue was fantastic with a beautiful little church. The next am it was a short distance to o cebreiro ( about 4 km) the hike was more enjoyable in the cool morning air as there were steep hills to climb, but beautiful views. O cebreiro is just lovely, the church is beautiful as is the town, spend some time there for sure!! Susan

I was glad to get to la Faba as it was a hot afternoon and had just run out of water. We cooked a communal meal and enjoyed the ambiance of the place and the church and mass. The albergue did not open until 3pm and there was a long queue waiting to check in. Exhausting!
I came face to face with my one and only bedbug there:(. The temerity of the critter to get past the ever vigilant German hospitaleiros!! I slept fitfully with a bay leaf in my hand and chewing garlic to ward away any critter comrades!!!!!:confused:
I enjoyed walking up to O'Cebreiro in the morning and watch dawn breaking. I found O'C underwhelming.- maybe it was too early or I didn't explore enough but it was just a big car park with a cafe that was too busy to be friendly. next time I might stay there and get a deeper experience.
Next time? what am I talking about!
see you in Le Puy in September!!

AMDG:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My afternoon and evening spent in O'Cebreiro were one of the top 3 highlights of my Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.