• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Guide for your Camino

Beverley

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2009, Camino Portuguese 2010, Del Norte 2011, Pamplona to Burgos and Santiago to Finnesterra 2012
Hi all, going into my 3rd Camino in 2011 and after coming back from my second I decided to write a planning guide. I had so many pilgrims say to me when I was walking, "I wish I knew this before I left.."
It won't be ready until March 2011 but if you are interested, it is going to be in e-book format as well as soft cover, send me a post or a private message. It is not everything in one place but it is alot in one place. Newbe walkers would like it.

Bev from Canada

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
yes please! i need help and advice! only think i have going for me is a determnation to try and attamp this walk in 2011 any advice is most appreciated consider me at unfit, unprepared and willing to learn thought it would be possible for me to start at dubrovnik in first week in june? Forgot to mention i am confident some say too confident. :wink:

Myra, thanks for the reply. I will let you know when the guide is ready. Don't know much about starting in northern Europe but your timing sounds good. I am envious that you can take such a long walk.
Confidence is important and I wonder if there is such a thing as too much. When people say that, it likely means you are more confident in ways that others aren't. Not everyone is BRAVE enough to do what you are planning but you will find many on this forum who will cheer for you.
I remembered something today that I should have put into my planning guide and I will pass my advise on to you now. When you are packing your backpack before you go, if you are going to use a camel back or other such bag for water, fill the bag with water and try it out in your pack with your pack full of all the other stuff you plan to take. The reason I suggest this is that last year I had a new pack and because it was smaller than my first one I had trouble putting the full water bag into it. I did not try this before I left for the trip. It all worked out but I had to learn to cary my water bag only half full.

All the best, more later

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Myra, I have just been looking at my pilgrimage map of Europe and here are some suggestions, although I can't give you any info from Dubrovnik - though if that is where you live that will be the easy part. Here we go:-

a) - you could cross over to Italy and head up the Camino san Milan de La Cogolla to Parma (or the via Franicigena to Rome & Genova) and from there work your way around to Arles where you can pick up the via Tolosana

b) Make your way up to Trieste and then continue on through Venice, Milan, Torino to Arles (and the via Tolosana)

c) head north to Budapest and then west to Bratislava, Vienna, Salzburg, through the Austrian Tyrol to Switzerland and eventually meeting up with the via Podiensis at Le Puy

d) make your way to Vienna and and then follow some of the river bikeways in Austria / Germany / and the Czech Greenways to Prague and then come down through Nurenberg or Regensberg and eventually make your way across to the Via Lemovicences (Vezelay)

The German paths are called Jakobsweg/e and there are plenty of guide books and maps available.

What an adventure! Hope this gives you some ideas - the options are endless. Happy planning. regards, Janet

Great, Beverley, any new guide-book for the Camino is more than welcome!
Good luck with your work on it :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My new book - Planning Your Camino (best for new walkers)

Hello, yes this is a self promo, sorry but who else will...Ivar I hope this is not considered junk mail!

My book Planning Your Camino - Preparing the way is now available from http://www.authorhouse.com

The e-book edition is not available yet but you can get a soft cover copy by searching the first half of the title.

This book is intended for first time Pilgrims. It is full of relevant information for packing, getting there, what to expect when there, etc, and lots of tips for new-bees. :D

Can you tell I am excited!

Hi all, going into my 3rd Camino in 2011 and after coming back from my second I decided to write a planning guide. I had so many pilgrims say to me when I was walking, "I wish I knew this before I left.."
It won't be ready until March 2011 but if you are interested, it is going to be in e-book format as well as soft cover, send me a post or a private message. It is not everything in one place but it is alot in one place. Newbe walkers would like it.

Bev from Canada
Hi Beverley, I would be interested in reading your adivice, this will be my first Camino. Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...
My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back