• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Only back 1 day and my heart is still there.

AudTrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2014 ( St Jean to Estella)
20th May 2015 (Estella - Ages)
23rd May 2016 (Ages - Sahagun)
I came back yesterday from 1 week on the Camino Frances and feel like my heart is still there. I had a feeling it would be special with all that I had read about it but it has got under my skin. I met such wonderful kind, funny and special people. I never expected the countryside to be so beautiful esp that last hour before Puenta la Reina walking through the fields of crops with all the wild flowers.
Hope all the people I met along the way who were continuing on to Santiago have a safe and wonderful trip.
I will definitely be back at some stage to continue on - of that I'm sure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Audtrekker
I walked that section today and am resting now in Puenta la Reina with a beer. A lovely day's walk, the crops and wildflowers are lovely, but I have a few blisters!
Best wishes,

I am so jealous. Wish I was still there. I stayed in Albergue Jakue and the buffet was great.
Buen Camino.
Audrey

I have been gone nearly a year, back in September it has never left me.

Trevor

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm in work now and I can't stop thinking about how a lot of people I met are still on their way to Santiago. I'm glad you're getting the chance to go back.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's been almost 2 years since I walked the Camino and I am still somewhat speechless when I'm asked about what it was like. There are still no words to describe what it meant to me. The feelings have never left. I'm planning to go again next May.

I know the feeling. I'm back home after finishing my third camino, but my heart will always be on the camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I came back yesterday from 1 week on the Camino Frances and feel like my heart is still there. I had a feeling it would be special with all that I had read about it but it has got under my skin. I met such wonderful kind, funny and special people. I never expected the countryside to be so beautiful esp that last hour before Puenta la Reina walking through the fields of crops with all the wild flowers.
Hope all the people I met along the way who were continuing on to Santiago have a safe and wonderful trip.
Six weeks since I finished my Camino and I feel the same as you.

I'm in work now and I can't stop thinking about how a lot of people I met are still on their way to Santiago. I'm glad you're getting the chance to go back.

I was just like you in May last year. I stopped in Leon while all my friends I had met walked to Santiago and beyond. Every few hours I checked up on how they were getting on, or if they had updated their blogs. I was still walking with them.
I am back in September :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds like you lot have all caught it, the thing is you were warned before you went, this might happen, but still you went and want to go again then again. Well you do know there is no cure, so you may as well just join the club ! ;):) It's like telling alchoholics to try Fanta!!:rolleyes:

It really does get under your skin. I remember that feeling when your camino buddies leave you behind. I felt distraught at the time and still think about them four years on. Going back next week. Think I'm going to have to settle somewhere in the north so it's always close by. Run for the hills

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds like you lot have all caught it, the thing is you were warned before you went, this might happen, but still you went and want to go again then again. Well you do know there is no cure, so you may as well just join the club ! ;):) It's like telling alchoholics to try Fanta!!:rolleyes:
Pilgrim b, I've definitely caught it. Someone should have told me it was highly contagious

Finished in April, and still follow the forum every day. I am an addict.
Planning to walk the CP in April next year.
It's been the best thing I've ever done.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hiked it this spring and thought once was enough...I was wrong. Hope to get back in 2016. Hiking on sections of old Roman roads, seeing Templar structures and all the wonderful people make the Camino one of the best places I've ever hiked.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hiked it this spring and thought once was enough...I was wrong. Hope to get back in 2016. Hiking on sections of old Roman roads, seeing Templar structures and all the wonderful people make the Camino one of the best places I've ever hiked.
I know the feeling – did the CF in Sept /Oct 2013 – planning the do the Portuguese Camino in Oct 2014 – flights booked – cannot wait

And some of us met some very special people in that same very short time.

Dear unknown pilgrim...
My first Camino was in 2009 and I was surprised there are people who are going this way once again ( a second, fifth, tenth, etc)... I thought for me there is only this time and never more... Wow, I didn't know the Camino is like a drug, it addictive...
Since that time I am in Spain every year and every year I walk different path to get Santiago d.C. When I cannot go (because of my health) I am a volunteer in alberge...
There is no Life for me without Camino....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am very tempted to go back and walk a few days on the Camino in September 2014. I did SJPdP to SdC in the Spring this year and my feet are barely healed up. But my thoughts are on the Camino every day. I would love to see the autumn, because so many of the books mention it.

I can get away for just 8 days, which would allow 5-6 days of walking. The route will be determined by flights from London. So at the moment I'm considering flying to Santiago and taking a train from there to walk the last few days, or flying to Bilbao and taking public transport from there to the nearest point on the Camino.

It was surprisingly difficult for me to readjust after my return. The walls in my house seemed a lot closer than they were when I left. Upon returning to do the Camino again I was quickly reminded of something my mother has told me "you can't step twice in the same river".
Where I have enjoyed each Camino, they have not all been as moving as the first. Now it seems the pilgrims are less the pilgrims and more those looking to be part of the fad.

I wouldn't label the motives of new pilgrims as generally being part of "the fad." Can something not be worthy and appreciated if it is also popular?

€46,-
Absolutely! But if it has been since 2012 since you have walked and you are planning another Camino this year I believe you will notice the change in the people walking along side of you. One thing I have noticed is the decline in open spontaneous conversations, I met many wonderful people this spring but I can also say there was more rudeness and also less general compassion than I have seen previously. I do not want to imply that the people on this journey are not good people, but I feel, it is my opinion that many are walking just to say they walked the Camino de Santiago. Many many new trekkers that have not undertook something like this on even a small scale, this has lead to many more injuries then I have seen in past years, people walking only because they have seen a movie or met friends online. I am sorry and will be more careful with my wording if I sounded as if I was trying to explain or judge the motives of others.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up. Since I'll be walking in the late fall, I'll miss many of the people who are perhaps more casual in their attitude, so it's easy for me to be tolerant of the masses (since they aren't there!) I've had debates with my husband about "fads" as a motive, so maybe I was reacting to that!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the miracles of the Camino is that it actually does change people for the better. Not everyone, but many. Maybe people who are ready to change anyway, who knows. But it does. So I don't really get too worked up about initial motivation. I'm just happy to let the road continue to work its magic.

It's been almost 2 years since I walked the Camino and I am still somewhat speechless when I'm asked about what it was like. There are still no words to describe what it meant to me. The feelings have never left. I'm planning to go again next May.
I am also considering going in May. Did you chose this month purposefully or was it a choice of convenience? Also, are you going alone? You were alone the first time, weren't you? I have wanted to do this for 8 years and now that the time has come, I will be going alone and am wondering how you felt about it.

Thanks much,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I came back yesterday from 1 week on the Camino Frances and feel like my heart is still there.

Been back approximately 22 days, 13 hours and 25 minutes (but Hey! whose counting!) since this year's 2 weeks, and I must confess to still being mesmerised by the memories - often to the point of distraction. On the one hand that's great: on the other, something of a nuisance, as there are still all the day-to-day responsibilities to attend to.

Don't worry, though: I'm sure it won't pass! ;)

I returned from my first Camino in 2011, and my heart is still there. Hardly a day goes by without my thinking about the Camino—it made such an impression.

I have been back for over two years and my heart is still there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One's heart never leaves the Camino. The day that I returned home, I washed all my Camino clothes and re-packed my backpack. It is ready to return in 2015. All I have to do is pick it up and go. My world view has changed and my life has never been better. Buen Camino

No it never goes away. I am sitting here waiting for today's delivery of a lumbar pack! Still searching for a lighter and more manageable Camino. It's turning into a quest for the Holy Grail! But I have to do something to quell the between Camino blues somehow.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back