• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bum Bags for Valuables

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think that looks like overkill, to be honest. How much of it will clash with the hip belt on your pack? Will you have it hanging below the hip belt? Won't the bottles be in the way? I'd get something much smaller - but then I use a small crossbody bag, put it on before the pack and always, always keep it on me. Where will you put it at night to keep it safe?

many thanks... I didn't think about half of those issues! I'll look for something simpler :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Les I, too, think that your suggested bag is overkill! It shouts "something special in here, grab me if you can!' In general I have medium priced good quality equipment but nothing fancy, ie nothing that anyone would want to take from me; no fanny pack nor camera bag. No bling; discretion is protection. I have traveled the world, often alone, but ALWAYS discreetly.

MM

Can someone tell me if this is a bit of overkill?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Warehouse-Walking-Camping-Bumbags/dp/B00I7TU9CK/ref=sr_1_32?s=camping-hiking&ie=UTF8&qid=1406470825&sr=1-32&keywords=Mountain Warehouse bag

I'm looking for something that I can keep my passport, cash, phone etc... this has a bottle holder too?

It looks good but I'm wondering if i'm being sidetracked? What do you all think? :)
That one looks too big and awkward etc, but the one shown here (also Amazon) is more like mine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Agreed! I used one of these for my Camino. Removed it only to have a shower, and put it back on immediately afterwards. Of course I slept with it on too. As to a water bottle holder, I bought an 'S' hook, attached it to the side strap of my pack and hung my water bottle on it; it was easily accessible as I walked. You just have to get a water bottle with an opening in the cap through which you can slip the 'S' hook.

Great suggestions all! One more consideration...take with you when you shower and don't hang on the door. Although no recent incidents...there is mention of a bag lifted as the peregrino shampooed up, or turned their back to the door and their valuables.
Buen Camino,

Arn

I wore an old small one and slept with it as well. I met a lady with a larger one and was at first envious as she could carry so much more in a handy location. When I crawled into bed that night I was glad I had the small one. Even in private accommodations, I slept wearing it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Warehouse-Walking-Camping-Bumbags/dp/B00I7TU9CK/ref=sr_1_32?s=camping-hiking&ie=UTF8&qid=1406470825&sr=1-32&keywords=Mountain Warehouse bag

I'm looking for something that I can keep my passport, cash, phone etc... this has a bottle holder too?

It looks good but I'm wondering if i'm being sidetracked? What do you all think? :)

It doesn't say how much it weighs, but I think you will find it bulky and too heavy. I used a cross-body little Sherpani pouch that also carried my Brierley book and my small camera. It worked very well, and I put it under my pillow each night. Unfortunately, that particular item is no longer available on the Sherpani site though there is a similar one, weighing 4 oz. Sherpani Prima LE Cross Body Purse. No water bottle, but I put one in the pocket of my zip-off pants and one more in each side pocket of my pack. And with the cross-body purse, I had access without even having to reach around for anything, didn't interfere with my backpack's hip belt, etc. I'm going on the Camino again next fall, and am so happy to have the "working items" stowed in one place for next year. NO more agonizing for me, though I've made some decisions about what NOT to take.

Good luck . . . everyone has their own preferences, but that was mine.

thanks for all the replies folks... I had a total rethink after reading as many threads as possible about bags and valuables.

I've gone all minimal - my phone fits in my pocket and has a waterproof/drop-proof cover. I'm taking a card that my husband will top-up as and when I need it so I'll have no credit cards to really worry about... and I'll have minimal cash so I'll get an ultra-lite purse for my pocket. I've order a waterproof pocket/bag that I'll keep my passport in which also will fit phone and money too for later when I shower and keep it all together.

Minimal fuss... descreet... and light.

thank you for all your ideas - both here and in the older threads... you are GREAT! :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... and I'll have minimal cash so I'll get an ultra-lite purse for my pocket. :cool:
A tip I was given. Make or get a short chain for the purse (old key rings will do) and then fasten it to your pocket. My pocket has a clip but a safety pin will work. Stops pickpockets. My chain is just long enough to be able to get the purse far enough out of the pocket to get some money out. Some travel purses have a loop or clipping point for the chain, others actually have a safety 'string' and clip on them.

A tip I was given. Make or get a short chain for the purse (old key rings will do) and then fasten it to your pocket. My pocket has a clip but a safety pin will work. Stops pickpockets. My chain is just long enough to be able to get the purse far enough out of the pocket to get some money out. Some travel purses have a loop or clipping point for the chain, others actually have a safety 'string' and clip on them.

very clever!

I bought this one which does not include water holder, but is very light and works with my backpack and will withstand being near a shower (though I don't think it would do well under water.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a husband! But patently he is not called Petruchio!!

However, regardless, please do NOT communicate such compliance to my wife

Bystander... the other side of that coin is of course I only get the spending money he puts on the card ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had something similar but not for valuables.It was great for keeping things handy like snacks, bandaids and a small change purse with only enough money for the day. And especially as a water carrier. Fantastic. Mine worked well with my pack. It looked cumbersome but was great to use and I am taking it next time. The only downside was I had to take it off to go to the toilet but that was not really a problem. I had a seperate bag to take with me with valuables when I showered.
I wore a money belt for valuables last time but it was a nuisance. I am taking a Scottevest this time.

Bystander... the other side of that coin is of course I only get the spending money he puts on the card ;)

LesBrass, I'm a bit lost on this one. You have a card that your "husband will top-up as and when I need it."

So you contact him and say "Just found an Hermès shop in Leon and they have a Kelly/Birkin handbag on offer"

hmmm, does that work?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wore an old time real money belt and kept everything loose in a "Fishing Vest". Not sure what they call those vests in Europe but in US, they are now called "Concealed Carry Vests". Lots of pockets and not very heavy if you don't put rocks in the pockets like I did.

Sorry that didn't come out right I brought a ZPack made here in the states out of what they call Cuban cloth. it's a multipurpose bag. it's not too terribly big And I can attach it to the front of my pack or I can converted to a shoulder bag or a bung bum bag what we call Fanny pack here. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406520100.941137.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One type of vest is called a Scotty Vest. Holds camera glasses phone MP3 player tablet ear buds pen pencils papers passports water bottle and is TSA approved.

Yes, the Scotty Vest worked really well for me; I used that in addition to my money belt (it held my credential and all those other bits that I wanted to keep at hand). I left my money belt strapped around my waist at night and the Scotty Vest, with bits and pieces, was tucked under me in my sleep sack. The price tag for the Scotty Vest is a bit hefty, but I felt it was worth it. I've used it for other trips since and, hopefully, will continue to do so.

Are you wearing it under your pack?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

You need to sort things.

1) Things you need constant access to

2) Things you might need during the day

3) Things you'll rarely need.

Passport and other things you likely will never need during the day shouldn't be easily accessible. A moneybelt under your clothing is a good choice.

Your daily cash you need to access during the day and shouldn't be in the moneybelt.

I liked Tia's idea of a DIY safety purse/wallet, however I bought one of the "packsafe" wallet/passport holders. It goes around your neck so it does take some getting use to. But the chain is 99% thief-proof. To be all the bumbags shout tourist even more than dressing as a pilgrim with shell and backpack. Also agree about what cash I keep in pockets - usually the money for that day and probably the next.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Although the OP has resolved the issue, it may be useful for someone later reading this thread....I did exactly what everyone is advising not to do and actually it worked really well for me! I had to carry five passports so that was my starting point and necessitated a fairly sizeable container. I found this bumbag which worked fine over my backpack hip belt and it ended up carrying everything we might want when we didn't need packs (ie evenings out). Money and cards were in a zipped pocket right next to my body. Then there was a large compartment which fit passports, journal, pens and watercolours, credencial, paperwork (like insurance details etc), Opinel knife, small cloth in plastic bag, tissues, phone charger. Then there was another smaller zipped pouch - just perfect for iphone and the teensy portable keyboard I carried (and many folks openly coveted!) In front of that was a zipped flap over a pocket. Into the pocket went a tiny notebook that we kept finance records in, and in the zipped pocket went the day's spending money. There was a small pocket on one side which I usually stuffed with a plastic bag or two for carrying supplies from the tienda in. And I attached a strap to enable my camera to be secured to the bumbag but accessible without opening any of the zips. Finally, there was a small zipped pocket just perfect for lipbalm.
Yes, it weighed something over 1.5kg with all that gear in it, but it was the stuff I really did not want to lose and if I ever took it off, I gave it to one of the kids to hold. I slept with it - not quite as cuddly as a husband, but likewise it took up less of the bed;-)
One day - not sure why - I decided to put it IN my backpack instead of carrying it as intended. That lasted about two hours - I realised carrying a good portion of the weight in front instead of all on my back was actually a good move!
I would put the bumbag on first (well, it was always on!) and then flip it up to do up the hipbelt underneath. No trouble at all.
I realise that a bumbag screams *tourist*, but when you're a large family you're not usually inconspicuous anyway! I like that I can physically hold the bag whilst in crowds and it's the only thing I really need to think about (other than the kids!)
BTW, I also realise that the compass was overkill once we got off the Baztan route, but I had got used to carrying it there on my map case and so there it stayed.

IMG_1570.JPG

just wanted to add... he's a rather lovely accountant who keeps me on the straight and narrow and I have no idea how I'll cope without him on my walk :)

"keeps me on the straight and narrow" - let's hope the number-cruncher doesn't find out that a certain digger called Gerard is walking the Camino at around the same time as you!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Aaagh, so you will all see the point of my lovely Aarn pack with its weight distributing front packs (two, so you can see your feet), that unhook from the harness to make a day pack, or a bum bag or a shoulder bag. So convenient. And completely waterproof.

Are you wearing it under your pack?
If you’re speaking to me, yes, I wore it under my pack. Still had access to all the pockets, save the pocket at the back which I never used. I would take the bit about the water bottle with a grain of salt – it’s true that one can fit a water bottle into the front pocket, but I would prefer not to look like that (don’t know how it would work with the men’s model). Can’t speak as to the storage of a camera as I used the camera on my iPhone which I stashed as shown here http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/RFID_Vest_Women.shtml. I admit that the ScotteVest will not work for everyone, but it worked for me and provided me with the extra layer I wanted for my April/May camino – I would not want it for a summer camino, as it would be too warm. For those who want to shave off every extra gram, it is also very heavy, at 356 g.

My companion used a small pack which she strapped to her front and which doubled as her 'evening' bag; this worked for her.
You need to sort things.

1) Things you need constant access to

2) Things you might need during the day

3) Things you'll rarely need.

Passport and other things you likely will never need during the day shouldn't be easily accessible. A moneybelt under your clothing is a good choice.

Your daily cash you need to access during the day and shouldn't be in the moneybelt.
This sums it up nicely.:)

This is what I do.
My credential (in plastic bag into left leg pocket as I will need it during day/at albergue.
My notebook and pen into right leg pocket for use whenever.
Small purse with today's money on a chain from belt into left trouser pocket.
Phone into right trouser (zipped) pocket as used as camera.
Passport/cards/paper money all in a plastic bag inside the inside pocket that loops over belt.
Belt with zipped compartment for more money.
All go into a ziplock for the shower and under pillow in night.

Attachments

• important stuff.jpg
    important stuff.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 42
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not that you need it on the Camino, but my Novia has a woman's waist pouch made in US that has a leather lined open pocket designed to hold a sidearm. Probably not sold in Europe. Should not bother people who wear pants with cargo pockets as most people are aware what those pockets are supposed to hold.

I really don't recall seeing very many waist packs on the Camino in May/June. My Novia wore her's but I used all of the pockets in my vest for carrying loose items. Also, after my Novia switched from her waist pack to a purse was when she was pick pocketed of all of her cash!

I used the Zpacks "chest pocket" this year on my second Camino Frances. It was great. It comes with additional straps to easily convert the bag to a shoulder bag, waist bag, or chest bag. I originally tried mine as an upper-chest bag as the company shows on its web site.

However, two days out, at Roncesvalles, I reconfigured the straps so the bag would ride lower, over my tummy. That allowed my hands to rest on top of the bag while walking if desired. It also made getting to everything in the bag much easier.

The Cuben cloth is highly water resistant. The zipper is well made and quite tight against rain. However, I would not consider this bag waterproof. To take it into a shower, the contents should be in a ziplock type bag for proper protection. Mine got rained on regularly with no harm to the contents.

Snacks, guidebook, my buff, walking gloves (no fingers), tissues, toilet paper, a pen and a small notebook went into the Z Packs "tummy bag." There was room for an orange too.

Here is the website for the ZPacks bag:

Here is a photo of me, with the tummy bag at Sahagun:View attachment 11898

The free, reusabel, recycleable half-liter water bottles you see in the photo above the ZPacks bag are hung from my upper rucksack harness with these: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp

I use an appropriate sized silicone "O" ring from my local DIY store to secure the clip to the bottle's neck. It absolutely works! Generally, two bottles are hung, with two more ready in a rucksack side pocket. I swap them from the front to the side / rear as they get emptied. Works like briliantly!

Coming out of Carrion de los Condes, where all are advised to bring extra water to cross the Meseta, as local fuentes are frequently NOT potable, I simply hung four bottles from the upper straps as above, and sternum / chest strap, and placed a single 1.5 liter bottle of spring / mineral water in each side mesh pocket of my Osprey Kestrel 48 rucksack. I also strapped an additional 1.5 liter bottle to the bottom of my rucksack using the sleeping pad straps. That gave me six and a half liters of water coming out of Carrion.

Yes, I KNOW it was heavy. But water is the one thing you must have to continue. The day was bright, sunny, and dry, with very little wind. The sun was HOT. Plus, I gave water to several others who had not planned ahead. Once I warned them about some of the local water sources, they were only too happy to take one or two half-liters of water from my load. So, my burden got lighter as I went along. After a couple of hours, you do not feel the additional water weight.

I still think a minimum of about three to four liters is needed to cross this stretch of Meseta. Then again, everyone is different. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

This past May, I walked 31 Km to a friend's home in Moratinos. By the time I arrived, I was down to less than .5 liters of water.

[QUOTE="Urban Trekker, post: 230522, member: 22821"a bung bum bag what we call Fanny pack here. View attachment 11871[/QUOTE]
We call it a Canguro here in Costa Rica. Perhaps a nicer name, don't you think? Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have just returned from the Camino and took a similar bum bag, it was a High Sierra with dual water bottle holders. i found it just great to have my most important things at my finger tips, I also stored lip balm, phone and a snack - an excellent investment. A great way to take valuables to the showers and dinner with you as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So many great ideas... my waterproof ziplock bag arrived today for my passport and so for now I'll try and stick to my minimalist plan... but if I find it doesn't work out I can always look for one of the ones mentioned as I walk along!

Some great ideas for personal belonging 'carriers'. I know what I'm looking for now! I was think of getting an easy jet euro card that should work all over Europe. Top up and not carry my credit card. Has anyone used this euro card on camino?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I7TU9CK/?tag=casaivar-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I7TU9CK/?tag=casaivar-21

Overkill for sure. Try not to bring to many valuables, that's the best advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.