• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Raincoat-Poncho

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Of course, pancho vs rain jacket is a personal preference. In my opinion, a waterproof and breathable jacket and pants work best. For a long time I've recommended Marmot - this is what I wore on the Camino.
Though panchos are ok, the key downside in my view is their potential inadequacy during particularly windy situations... in which rain can blow in from the sides. I also saw many pilgrims struggling to put on panchos in the rain.
The waterproof and breathable jacket and pant may cost a little more but are worth the spend in my view. In addition to being lightweight, they also double as wind breakers for those cooler mornings on the camino.
Again, the choice is a personal one...my vote is jacket and pants!

a waterproof and breathable jacket and pants work best
With a pack cover, too. I thought that until a long, heavy rain, during which the water wicked between my pack and my back, and soaked the pack! Water pooled at the bottom of the pack cover.

My Altus prevents that, and is easy to put on even in the wind. I just hang it over my pack; when the rain starts, I slip in my arms. Ditto my Packa, which is very similar to the Altus.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
falcon269 said:
Ditto my Packa, which is very similar to the Altus.

How do you find the Altus vs the Packa? From the limited that I've read, the former is more like a poncho with arms and the latter more like a jacket with a pack enclosure.

Do you prefer them for different conditions? I'd be interested to hear your feedback both positive and negative :)

The Packa is lighter, has a better hood, but is shorter. The backpack cover portion has an elastic band that holds it securely to the pack, so it is less likely to blow off during a wind if your arms are not through the arm holes. It has a pocket, which is quite useful, the material covering the zipper is better designed for warmth and water protection. The zippers under the Packa arms are very large and provide great circulation. I just wish it was a foot longer!

Just got a Ferrino Trekker...seems good but the thing I noticed is that there is NO access to pack waist belt without lifting it up - was hoping it would have slits to allow one to access stuff. Any thoughts on this jacket? My concern? Is there a better jacket I should consider? I really like the idea of covering my pack and my body with the same jacket.

Thoughts :?: :?:

Thank you all
Nicole

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fishern1 said:
there is NO access to pack waist belt without lifting it up - was hoping it would have slits to allow one to access stuff. Any thoughts on this jacket? My concern? Is there a better jacket I should consider? I really like the idea of covering my pack and my body with the same jacket.

I also really like having both body and pack covered with the same jacket but I think the designers prefer to keep any openings to a minimum to reduce the chance of leakage. The only other jacket that I know of that has access points is the Packa which has large pit zips which can be used for both access and ventilation; I believe it also has an external pocket. However, this jacket is considerably shorter than the Ferrino. Alternatively some jackets such as the Raidlight have a dual front zip allowing easier access. Might be worthwhile seeing if it is possible to convert a single to a dual zip, or to replace the zip with a dual.

Since you already have the Ferrino, it like others of the same ilk tend to be quite voluminous so you can slip your arms out of the sleeves back into the jacket to access waist belt pockets or shirt/pant pockets. :)

falcon269 said:
The Packa is lighter, has a better hood, but is shorter. The backpack cover portion has an elastic band that holds it securely to the pack, so it is less likely to blow off during a wind if your arms are not through the arm holes. It has a pocket, which is quite useful, the material covering the zipper is better designed for warmth and water protection. The zippers under the Packa arms are very large and provide great circulation. I just wish it was a foot longer!

Thanks for the comments!

So overall you prefer the Packa? How do you find the Altus?

So overall you prefer the Packa?
I am still on the fence! The Packa hood does not drop over my eyes like the Altus, and that may be the deciding factor. If the Packa was a foot longer, I would prefer it, so for shorter pilgrims, it may be the best choice. It does have a longer skirt in the back for sitting on wet benches and prevent heel splash. Doing the same in the front would have been useful (for me).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Muzzal!! Appreciate your thoughts...what you said is very true, it is quite large so I should be able to pull in my arms as needed...had not thought of that.

Missed a lot of the recent input but will once again give a thumbs up for Altus. Tested in lots of rain and heavy winds, I'd never take anything else on camino. It's not a poncho, tis a raincoat with sleeves and a back extension to cover your pack. I wish Altus would not call it a poncho . . . very misleading!

As for the hood falling forward over the eyes, a simple baseball cap works well, keeping the hood up and out, providing a little 'roof' over spectacles.

For those still looking for a poncho style :- Rohan recently changed their rain capes/ponchos to a sleeved version and they come in 2 lengths. I have no experience of them apart from checking one out in the shop. I would go for the longer version if buying new, similar to our ones. Our original Rohan ponchos are still going strong and were a good investment, covering us and our packs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I've been following along on this poncho discussion and I definitely want to purchase the Altus atmospheric poncho - but should I get the regular or the "light" version? Does anyone know the main difference and can you recommend what I should get? I'm walking the Camino Frances May 20 to July 2, I'm a female about 5'5" and 120 lbs, if that makes any difference. Thanks for all the great advice!

CaroleH said:
Missed a lot of the recent input but will once again give a thumbs up for Altus. Tested in lots of rain and heavy winds, I'd never take anything else on camino. It's not a poncho, tis a raincoat with sleeves and a back extension to cover your pack. I wish Altus would not call it a poncho . . . very misleading!

As for the hood falling forward over the eyes, a simple baseball cap works well, keeping the hood up and out, providing a little 'roof' over spectacles.

Are your comments for the "new" Altus Poncho that I hear is not as good as the "old" version? And was it the regular weight not the lightweight version?

Any other feedback on the current Altus Poncho?

If no one had used the old one, the new one would seem more than satisfactory. I looked at one in Santiago in November, and thought it would be just fine. I like the velcro wrist closure on mine, but the elastic will work fine. There is condensation inside all ponchos. The cling of the new fabric is just like dozens of other pullover ponchos. All in all, it is probably worth the weight savings. If you are in doubt, go with the Ferrino.

http://www.amazon.com/Ferrino-Large-X-L ... ds=ferrino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks
After looking at the other options and getting feedback from the Peregrinoteca.com guys, we orderered the Ferrino Trekker ponchos from Amazon and got them.

I don't know about the Altus but the Ferrino's are a bear to stuff in their little carry-on pouches. I am thinking about ditching them and just stuff the poncho in one of the mesh side pockets of my Gregory Z-40 pack.

It isn't the hassle of packing the poncho away that influences us but the need to get it out and on quickly at times. You can get wet while opening it out of its pack :cry:
We keep ours folded neatly in a side or top pocket of our rucksacs.

If it looks like rain, drape the poncho over your pack. Then you only need to slip your arms in and zip it up!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, It looks like it is going to be a PITA to get it out of the bag. Since I have 2 unused (currently) side water bottle pockets in my pack I may want to see if they fit there.

The storage bag that these raincoat/ponchos come in is largely redundant and unnecessary given the abundance of external pockets on a pack. They often need to be deployed at a moments notice so having them in a bag just adds extra complexity. Your unused side bottle pocket is an ideal place to store it!

I find the bag useful as a stuff bag for other items such as sleeping gear etc.

It isn't just ponchos that come in unneccessary packs all of which add weight. I ditch the packs for my towel, waterproof trousers....and leave them at home. They are good for storage at home. My poncho pack is its pouch pocket, with a velcro tab fastener and integral to the poncho, so included in its overall weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The pouch for the Packa is part of the poncho, and becomes a waterproof pocket when wearing the poncho, a definite improvement.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had a friend who ordered a packa before my very first camino. She sweat profusely in it and the backpack cover became a bucket full of water. She contacted the man who made it on her return and he cheerfully told her to send it back for a refund. Since this is a one man operation, it seems, I would think it's worth an email to see if a longer version could be made. If he knew that was the main drawback for many people, he might be able to change his patterns and make a longer one.

I stick with a poncho, I like the ventilation. But I know many people like the altus/packa option.

The Altus/Ferrino and my Raidlight are much like a poncho with sleeves so they have similar ventilation to a poncho.

I understand the Packa differs in that it is much more close fitting, akin to a raincoat with a pack enclosure hence the issues with perspiration condensation.

The Packa has huge zippers under the arms, so the circulation is better than an Altus. When it gets cold, I have to zip up the armpits to stay warm. You cannot do that with a standard poncho; it always is open.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the Packa was available in a longer length, say to knee or calf length, I would seriously consider getting one, preferably in eVent fabric, although that would make it pretty expensive.

As it is, the cost to send it here to New Zealand is already prohibitive... :cry:

Seriously... I'm so over buying 'just one more thing' even though I desperately need it. I had undersestimated the weather in March. what do you think my chances are of picking up a 'good enough' raincoat in SJPP - or maybe even Singapore on my way over????
I'm so tired....

Hi, sorry if this has already been mentioned - bit of a long thread to go through - but I was looking for a nice price Altus for my friend and wanted to compare the weight of the old and the new model ... and then I found this!

http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/poncho-altus-atmospheric-nylon-p-732.html

It looks like the ultralight one is sold out (being phased out?) and the regular, heavier one is back on, even in bright new colours - but now much, much shorter for about the same weight? Very strange. What I love about my old Altus is that it falls below my knees and keeps me nice and dry all day, and now I am going to have to hurry and buy a spare poliamida one before they are gone! Or maybe an ultralight ...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nidarosa, you could look at the new Rohan poncho. It is expensive but very good and comes in two lengths. We like full length ponchos too.
Long canopy cape here, weight 280gms and short version weight 255gms.
You can see if there is a shop near you or order on-line, and if you can collect in-store then you don't pay postage.

Thanks for that link, Tia Valeria, but it looks like there is no hump for the pack? We'll be walking the St Olav's Way with much bigger packs than we used on the Camino, so really need the room for them inside. But I will definitely keep them in mind for when there are no packs to worry about, because they are a lot lighter than the Altus!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
nidarosa said:
Thanks for that link, Tia Valeria, but it looks like there is no hump for the pack? We'll be walking the St Olav's Way with much bigger packs than we used on the Camino, so really need the room for them inside. But I will definitely keep them in mind for when there are no packs to worry about, because they are a lot lighter than the Altus!
Ours go on over our rucksacs. You might want to check out the new ones, there is a shop in Chester.
The new model has sleeves which still unpopper.

Attachments

• poncho 3.jpg
    poncho 3.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 3,978
I'm just wondering which is the best way to order a Ferrino Trekker to be sent to Australia. Am I right that Amazon won't post to here?
Many thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello fellows,

I'm going to walk the Camino at the end of August/in the beginning of Sept from Astorga and I'm wondering, if I need to take a rain jacket or/and a poncho.
I've read that in Galicia there's a higher chance to have rain, but how heavy rain I could get at that time in this region and what would be your suggestions about that?
Thanks,
Egle

You will always need some rain protection! I generally favour the coat type poncho that has sleeves and goes over your pack, having used an array of gear. In summer gortex jackets are insufferable. I use an old style altus poncho and have it loosely draped over the pack sleeves out in light rain and just slip into it and close it up in heavy rain, when the rain stops I take my arms out of the sleeves and leave the cape draped over the backpack to dry out, it works very well like this and beats ponchos that don't open down the front, as you have to take them off while wet and stow them away. I also dislike being trapped inside a gortex jacket with my backpack over it, it is a performance to dress and undress when you have on and off rain and showers. Gitti

eku_79 said:
Hello fellows,

I'm going to walk the Camino at the end of August/in the beginning of Sept from Astorga and I'm wondering, if I need to take a rain jacket or/and a poncho.
I've read that in Galicia there's a higher chance to have rain, but how heavy rain I could get at that time in this region and what would be your suggestions about that?
Thanks,
Egle

Here are a couple of links to climate information about .

Based on these figures, you might expect a rainy day about 10% of the time at the start, increasing to about 20-25% of the time by the end. The number of rainy days in Lugo in just a little short of double those in Leon. It doesn't appear that there is much difference between how heavy the rainfall is in the two cities, with about 9.5mm of rain on average on a rainy day.

That said, I could have expected about a rainy day 30+% of the time in Galicia when I walked in May, but only got a bit of drizzle on one day.

Regards,

I have emailed Mr Packa to find out if he would consider doing a longer version and/or what a custom order for a long coat would cost. Will post answer when he's replied.

Falcon, you said if in doubt go for the Trekker......just to clarify....you'd choose a Trekker over a Packa?

Muzzal....I've asked how many he can send at once for the same price...maybe if a few of us wanted to order Packas, it might become a bit more economically viable if we can put in a group order.

Hello Rachael, thanks for your query. I am a hiker. The Packa is plenty long. If the Packa were any longer, it would impeed walking with it on. The length of the jacket along the front zipper from the hood opening to the bottom of the jacket is 36 inches for a Medium, 38 inches for a large, and 34 inches for a small. If the Packa were to extend down below the knees, you would not be able to walk with it on. There is no chance of coming out with a longer Packa anytime soon. I will add some length as custom work if you insist, but I think it is a mistake. The cost for custom work will be an additional $35 for each Packa.
I'd say about the smallest a person can be to wear a small Packa would be 5'2 and 120 lbs. I can send 3 to New Zealand for $35 shipping. I think some of the confusion regarding the length of the Packa comes from a few of my older Packa pictures on my website. Some early Packas, especially my prototype, were pretty short---about waist length. I am 6ft and a medium Packa hits me just above knee level. Also, there is a "tail" in the back that extends down about 8 inches further. From about 5'2 up to 5'7 would be small, 5'8 to 6'0 medium, above 6'1 large. Thank you for your interest.

Eddie

So Falcon - do you have an older one or a new one? It might make a difference!

Hi! you can also check meteogalicia web. It´s a public service. I ordered my rain poncho in Peregrinoteca. The cheapest that I found on Internet. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, dougfitz, for the info! Actually I found out from this forum that the weather is quite unpredictable, so there's no point to ask, what is the weather going to be. I just decided that I'll take both - a rain jacket and a poncho. Easier choise :)

Tia Valeria said:
It isn't the hassle of packing the poncho away that influences us but the need to get it out and on quickly at times. You can get wet while opening it out of its pack :cry:
We keep ours folded neatly in a side or top pocket of our rucksacs.

The weather reports are fairly easy to get as other pilgrims are often checking their smart phones or the hospitaleros are very helpful with this as well. When we knew that the weather was going to be stormy, we would keep our ponchos (Ferrino Trekkers) handy and out of the bag. This was painfully impressed on us during a freak hail storm. One minute it was sunny and the next... wups! But we knew that the weather was changing frequently and were prepared. When it was 27C in the shade however I kept the Ferrino packed up.

Kiwi-family said:
I have emailed Mr Packa to find out if he would consider doing a longer version and/or what a custom order for a long coat would cost. Will post answer when he's replied.

Falcon, you said if in doubt go for the Trekker......just to clarify....you'd choose a Trekker over a Packa?

Muzzal....I've asked how many he can send at once for the same price...maybe if a few of us wanted to order Packas, it might become a bit more economically viable if we can put in a group order.

Hi Rachel

Thanks for asking about sharing in getting a bulk order of Packas. However, I bought a Raidlight raincoat/poncho which I'm pretty happy with. It's basically similar in design to the Altus and Ferrino being a poncho with sleeves and having a full length zip in front. Unlike the Packa, the poncho-style means it can be quite long without restricting walking.

Cheers

Murray

I´m not able to understand what is the difference between a packa and poncho :oops: . Poncho is bigger than packa but, it´s more different than special ponchos for hiking as this? http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/pon ... 15194.html

I have never heard about it, I am seeing the packa´s web and it´s more tighter but legs can be wet with this system.

Thanks in advance !

Packa is designed to be attached to the pack even if you are not wearing it as a raincoat. I guess ponchos can also be draped over a pack.
Packa is shorter and not so prone to being blown as a sail in a driving wind - think coat rather than cape.
Hope that helps.

Thank you very much :D
What I didn´t know is that poncho is anoying in case of wind, but is obvious.
Amazing blog!
Regards!

Poncho - goes over everything (including your pack) so keeps everything dry! They weigh near to nothing so don't weigh you down. Cant go wrong!

My daughter and I used ponchos and they were the best thing for us. I can't recall the brand but they were very water proof and the length was excellent. The every day pants we wore had some water repellency to them so we didn't need rain pants. The ponchos were also excellent in the wind because they stopped the wind from getting to us. We figured out a way to weave our hands back inside to help hold the ponchos down in really windy weather and it worked excellent as we didn't always use walking poles. When we had extreme wind going over the napoleon route we tied extra long shoe laces around our waists under the bottom of the packs and that worked excellent. No regrets at all with the ponchos. They also allowed us to not have to wear so many layers of clothes as we saw many people wearing.

Lafuma poncho

For those of you interested in buying a Lafuma poncho online, I found one for £25 (approx. EUR 31,00) via Amazon UK.

This is much cheaper, for example, than the EUR 49,00 that Lafuma in France is asking for the same poncho... :shock:

Plus Amazon UK offers free shipping of this poncho to certain European countries.
I just bought mine. :D

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lafuma-Niagara- ... uma+poncho

:idea:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lafuma poncho

For those of you interested in buying a Lafuma poncho online, I found one for £25 (approx. EUR 31,00) via Amazon UK.

This is much cheaper, for example, than the EUR 49,00 that Lafuma in France is asking for the same poncho... :shock:

Plus Amazon UK offers free shipping of this poncho to certain European countries.
I just bought mine. :D

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lafuma-Niagara- ... uma+poncho

:idea:

I am going to walk the Camino next April/ May along the Camino Francaise . Would anyone have any experience of this walk or a similar one using a Raidlight Rain cape . Is it a better bet than the Altus Poncho? Is it really breathable and robust enough for the walk? Or is the Altus still the best rain gear to take in terms of Ponchos?
I would appreciate any comments and particularly relevant recent experience.
George

Hi George

I've made several posts on this site regarding the Raidlight (which you may find useful) but my coat has not been extensively tested in wet weather nor do I own an Altus or have walked a Camino, so I'm unable to objectively compare them.

As to its breathability, the one day of wet weather I experienced during the Milford Track walk here in New Zealand, was probably an unfair test. It was raining steadily during the uphill 2-3 hour segment requiring hard aerobic activity and I was sweating so much that I was as wet inside my Raidlight as it was outside - the amount of moisture I was producing simply overwhelmed the coat's breathability! I also had to leave the hood off as my spectacles steamed up (more) if I kept it on.

Having said that, on the downhill segment in lighter rain, after changing into a dry shirt at the summit, the coat did perform better and kept me dry - partly because I was sweating less. The dual pull zip also helped with ventilation.

The two negatives that you may wish to consider is that the Raidlight is considerably more expensive than the Altus and it only comes in a mid-grey colour, which may be hazardous when walking along the side of the road.

Hope these comments help and happy to answer any questions.

Murray

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wore a poncho with a very wide brimmed, Aussie type hat during the April/May rains in France,worked a treat & kept me dry as.Also kept the sun off. Good combination,worked for me........Vicr

Hi Vicr

I think your suggestion of a wide brimmed hat is the solution to my problem of steamed-up spectacles when I put on my hood!

What hat did you use? Thinking about getting an Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero, which is supposed to be waterproof with an extra long brim at the back.

Cheers

Murray

Hi Murray........It is an Akubra ,bought years ago,so it has had a lot of use,Ive no idea what model or style it is,I found the floppy ones just seem to collapse & become useless,especialy when it rains.This stops the flow down my neck....not a drop.I wear my solar charger on the top,for me that is an added bonus.........cheers Vicr

Hi Murray, If you're going for a hat, I recommend the Tilley range, the LTM5 or LTM6; they can be bought almost anywhere. My glasses never steamed up at all.

Buen Camino.

Hi Packinglight........From memory I bought it off Ebay for around $10Aus from China.It hasnt got a brand(surprise surprise)it did OK.I made sure the outlet had a standard USB port so I could use a multiple cable with it (also off Ebay) It wouldnt kick start a jumbo jet but got me out of trouble a few times when I couldnt locate a power source to charge my I phone........Vicr

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
muzzal said:
Hi George
I've made several posts on this site regarding the Raidlight (which you may find useful) but my coat has not been extensively tested in wet weather nor do I own an Altus or have walked a Camino, so I'm unable to objectively compare them.

As to its breathability, the one day of wet weather I experienced during the Milford Track walk here in New Zealand, was probably an unfair test. It was raining steadily during the uphill 2-3 hour segment requiring hard aerobic activity and I was sweating so much that I was as wet inside my Raidlight as it was outside - the amount of moisture I was producing simply overwhelmed the coat's breathability! I also had to leave the hood off as my spectacles steamed up (more) if I kept it on.

Having said that, on the downhill segment in lighter rain, after changing into a dry shirt at the summit, the coat did perform better and kept me dry - partly because I was sweating less. The dual pull zip also helped with ventilation.

The two negatives that you may wish to consider is that the Raidlight is considerably more expensive than the Altus and it only comes in a mid-grey colour, which may be hazardous when walking along the side of the road.

Hope these comments help and happy to answer any questions.

Murray

Hi, has anyone tried the Ferrino Hiker, not the Trekker? I met people walking with Trekkers in Galicia, and they were just as wet on the inside as the outside, plus those things are huge! I like the simpler and more ventilated look of the Hiker model, and it looks like the sides are sewn, not fastened with poppers. They might be a little bit shorter than the Altus, maybe? Mine is a L/XL and reaches to below my knees, and I love it for the windy and coldish rain, but I would like to have a lighter poncho with more ventilation for shorter trips and summer walks.

Last edited:
In my experience walking the Camino Frances this year, I experimented with several rain wear configurations, before I left and once I set off from St. Jean. I started with a Poncho, switched to separate rain jacket and rain cover, and ended up using a trekking raincoat. Remember, there are as many opinions on this as there are pilgrims. Let me explain:

IMHO ponchos allow too much water in. I experimented at home with ponchos. On a windy day - which is most every day in Spain, ponchos are a pain. They do not retain heat, and allow rain to penetrate. While they are better ventilated of all the choices, the time of year might influence a decision.

Separate raincoats come in handy as wind breakers. However, the separate rain cover allows water to pass between the jacket and pack and soak both your foam shoulder straps, waist belt and back panel. Some water also WILL seep into your pack. This foam never has time to properly dry overnight.

My optimum solution ended up being (after trail and error on the Camino) a Ferrino "Trekker" rip-stop nylon raincoat that I bought at a spur of the moment at the I got it in the SJPdP outdoors store for Euro 50 the day before I left (http://www.ferrino.it/en/catalog/rainwe ... ipstop-s-m).

It is a long raincoat - to the knees - that fastens with a zipper and velcro tabs. It has a built-in hood and a special "hunchback" that unsnaps to cover my 48 liter Osprey Talon rucksack. Mine was red. I named him "Zippy."

Other firms make similar high-quality, sleeved trekking raincoats. Try: Altus.es, Tatonka.com (de), among others.

As for how much to carry, rely on the advice in these forums. Or, you can ask someone who has done it for what they brought that they should not have, and what they did not bring that they should have. The replies will be all over the place. But eventually, you will zero-in on a solution that works for you.

I would be pleased to reply to any private message (PM) or questions posed in the forum - on any subject.

Buen Camino

Tom

Tom,

I'm leaving in about a month. Does Ferrino make just the raincoat. I have a cover for the backpack and am trying to keep them separate. All the Ferrinos I've seen make you look like a hunchback!

Indyinmaine

€83,-
I have two thoughts that may have not been mentioned yet. First, if you put a simple garbage bag inside your backpack as a liner you never have to worry about a pack cover or whether or not it leaks. Experienced backpackers have been doing this for years. Second, a very popular way to deal with rain among the "ultra-light" backpacking crowd is an umbrella. This is especially effective in warm weather but it also works well in snow. Here's are some especially designed by GoLite ...http://www.golite.com/accessories/umbrellas1

First, if you put a simple garbage bag inside your backpack as a liner you never have to worry about a pack cover or whether or not it leaks. Experienced backpackers have been doing this for years. Second, a very popular way to deal with rain among the "ultra-light" backpacking crowd is an umbrella. ...http://www.golite.com/accessories/umbrellas1
Excellent advice on both counts! :cool: I've been keeping an umbrella "to my chest" or rather over my head, for the last 5 Caminos. You can find them in shops of any town along the Caminos for between 9 and 18 Euros, depending upon size and sturdy structure. Easy to open and close, no sweating under a poncho (which often can weigh more than the umbrella).

People mention the Altus. I have a poncho that can be used for just about everything (including tent), but the downside is that my forearms get wet. Decades ago I backpacked Spain a couple of times and bought a yellow rain jacket in Madrid. I chose extra-extra, large so that it went over myself and the pack. Is that what you guys call an Altus?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No, Altus is a brand of poncho with a hump in the back to accommodate a backpack, hood, sleeves, and full length zipper in front. It covers the body to about mid-shin, and is worn like a jacket. When not used for total rain protection, it can be draped over the pack in a ready-position for slipping in one's arms when the rain begins. It is simply a better product!

OK Falcon, thanks. My poncho covers the legs about the same. The full arm coverage is the plus. I assume these are available in Spain when I get there?

My Poncho is about 10 ounces, how does that compare with an Altus? I have an emergency poncho that weighs hardly anything and a windcheater, so the Altus can replace the windcheater and poncho (hopefully they roll up nice and small). Sounds good to me. Less space and weight. Got my pack contents down to 9 and half pounds, so everything should come in under 9 :)

Ted,

Equipment for pilgrims including Althus ponchos is available in Saint Jean Pied de Port in the two shops Boutique du Pelerin at 32 rue de la Citadelle and Direction Compostelle nearby on the place Floquet. Both are owned by the same helpful, experienced pilgrim. See this web >> http://www.directioncompostelle.com/. Perhaps you might email them for the price.

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Margaret, I'm in at Pamplona. There's probably stores there with them in, I'll have a couple days wandering around the town, so no rush.

Thanks, I'll give them a try when I get there.

Watch out descending the Alto de Perdon!
Yeah, I noticed that on the profiles. Will just have to take as it comes. Saw your post about it too. Mud-surfing wheee-heee.

10 oz is fine Falcon. My windcheater is 1 lb, so I'm down to a decent weight now. Will see what's there when I arrive mid September. Thanks

SJPdP had only lime green Altus in June! The latest model Altus is about 10 oz.; the original is about 13 oz.
I commented already before but want to expand on the issue.
I could purchase an Altus last May, before starting Sarria-Santiago. Expensive, I seem to remember about 38 Euros! I wore the "cover" for 1/2 hour between Portomarín and Gonzar only. It is HEAVY :mad: For the remainder I used my umbrella.
A few years ago I bought a "poncho" at a china shop in León: 1 Euro The thing ripped into pieces after 1/2 day walking under heavy rain and wind. Then the weather turned fine. For the next 37 Caminos :confused: I could do similarly.
I bought a large umbrella in Burgos for 18 Euros. It died a natural death of fatigue after many Caminos.
This year I found a similar one in Sarria, same quality but only 9 Euros. Unfortunately I forgot it under a church bench last week.
I'll buy another umbrella for my upcoming Camino. It helps in walking, shades against the sun, is perfect against rain, and all this without getting sweaty. If the weather turns into a storm, with heavy wind gusts, I'll have to sit it out under roof. Which I would do with any other equipment:rolleyes:
Just my two cents.;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oddly enough Fraluchi, I've only ever had to use my poncho once, when the skies opened and I had about 3 miles to cover before any kind of shelter. The only reason I bought it in the first place was if I got stuck out somewhere and needed to stealth camp (they're ideal for that). I have an emergency one that only weighs a few grams if needed. Just thought it would be easier to kill 2 birds with one stone for wind and rain.

Are you open in February Pierre?

I have always preferred using a rain jacket and trousers to a poncho. In Late August we set off from Roncesvalles in torrential rain. The rain ran down my back, between jacket and pack cover, it poured down my trouser legs into my boots and I ended up drenched. We bought a 'raincoat-poncho' which is a combination of poncho and raincoat. It is a long rain coat with sealed seams, ventilation flaps in the front which zips up and has velcro stays; long sleeves with velcro to tighten around wrists, a snug hood with a peak and an adjustable 'hunchback' at the back to accommodate a backpack. It really was the answer in the rain. Better than a regular poncho which can blow up in the wind and which wide open sleeves don't keep your long sleeves dry. With a pair of short gaiters to keep trouser bottoms dry, it is all you need to keep dry without sweating up.
It was made in Spain and cost 28 euro. You can see it here: http://www.altus.es/default.aspx?info=00022D or order online at http://www.barrabes.com

If thou were to use a poncho, would you still need a rain jacket in May/June?

would you still need a rain jacket in May/June?
I don't think so. Higher elevations can still be cool any time of year, so you may need some layers, but a rain jacket and a poncho would be redundant equipment.

I don't think so. Higher elevations can still be cool any time of year, so you may need some layers, but a rain jacket and a poncho would be redundant equipment.
IMO some sort of rain gear is still essential in May. Maybe not in June.

For those who have walked July/August, did you have rain gear?
I'm wondering if I will need a poncho.

The weather is one of those things that you just cannot predict. Many who walked last year found themselves in appalling conditions that were way out of what would ordinarily be expected.

I like to travel light but always take a poncho. That and my minimal first aid kit are the only two things that go outside my mantra of "if you can't guarantee you're going to use it, leave it at home". They are also the only two things that I'm happy to carry and not use.

Dear Muzzal and other Camino friends,
I have been following the long and very interesting discussions in this forum about the pros and cons of various ponchos versus rain jackets and trousers. I do not want to rehearse these issues but simply to take stock of some key insights as a basis of introducing a relatively new poncho that has come on to the market that may turn out to be an attractive option to some contemplating the choice of a poncho for the Camino. I want to look at this choice especially from the lens of a first time pilgrim. But ,of course, it is a choice that any Camino walker may wish to make. The key issue is: once it is decided that a poncho is the way to go ,what does one want from a poncho and what would one be prepared to pay for it?
What are the contenders? Well, in the lower price range of around 30- 60 Euros there is the much-heralded Altus Atmospheric poncho ( it is not clear that the original model is still widely available as the Barrades on their website - www.Barrabes.com- suggests that it is phased out with a newer lighter model which is not recommended for heavy and persistent rain),the Ferrino , Lafuma and Takonda ponchos and a few others. These are all affordable and good workable ponchos and some like the Altus with a proven track record and many supporters among Camino pilgrims. But although they have their undoubted attractions, they all suffer from from the " boil in the bag" syndrome. If you are very active in them you may ,despite all ingenious counter-measures - be more wet in them from your own perspiration than from outside rain. The problem is that they are generally made from non-breathable material and the venting options only go so far in combating internal condensation. A feeling of clamminess on the skin when working hard or a general plasticky feel is another common complaint. Given they try to accommodate a rucksac , they have to have a lot of material which adds to weight , bulkiness, ease of putting on and off, as well as greater susceptibility to strong winds .
Then , there are the more expensive up-market but breathable ponchos by Rohan , Vaude, and Raidlight costing anything between 70 to 120 Euros. Or ,the even more expensive Event Packa costing over $200. These ponchos because they are made of breathable materials are certainly an improvement. But they too are not without their weaknesses. The Vaude poncho is excellent in many ways, breathable ,but much heavier. The Rohan poncho feels a bit clammy on the skin and is advertised as a poncho for going to music concerts where you are protected from the rain if you stay still. It is made from Rohan's very breathable Barricade fabric so it is very waterproof , probably very good on the move, and in many ways an excellent poncho. The Raidlight poncho is very light,excellently designed, but bulky and being lighter maybe more susceptible to strong winds. It also has a hood with a visor which traps condensation .But if you wear a wide -brimmed waterproof hat this problem is alleviated. The Event Packa is ingenious, highly breathable and once you get the hang of putting it on and off is also excellent and deserves a wider audience .But it can only be used for one specific purpose. It would be difficult to walk to dinner in one. All the above -mentioned ponchos suffer from the " Hunch Back of Notre Dame Syndrome". Granted, people do not generally walk the Camino as a fashion statement.
Finally, we come to the relatively new poncho that I wanted to highlight which is now on the market which may be the best yet. It is produced by a small firm in Cornwall, England by a company called Vamoose( www.vamooseuk.com). It is brilliantly designed and beautifully made out of highly breathable Event fabric. Although it is not designed specifically for the Camino pilgrimage it can be adapted for this purpose with its sophisticated system of poppers. The Director of the Company- Duncan Macrae (duncan@vamooseuk.com) tells me that the poncho with its poppers can be adjusted so that " a six foot man weighing 85 kilos with a 40 litre rucksack can comfortably wear it". The beauty of this poncho besides its technical advantages is that it can be folded up into a stylish rucksack to wear on your back. So it has many potential other uses besides the Camino , especially for travel in general. But there is a significant drawback with this poncho! It costs 285 English pounds!!!! To add perspective, this is around the cost of a good Goretex or Event jacket these days! This is a lot of money and many people may wish to go for the less expensive but still very serviceable options mentioned earlier. On enquiry , Duncan is offering a 15% discount to Members of the Confraternity of St James and other bone fide Pilgrims.
At the end of the day , the choice of rain gear or ponchos comes down to what you want from this gear and what you are willing to pay. If you are willing to pay for a first rate poncho it is well worth looking at the Vamoose website.
I hope the above was helpful.
Warmest regards,
George

Last edited:
If the Packa was available in a longer length, say to knee or calf length, I would seriously consider getting one, preferably in eVent fabric, although that would make it pretty expensive.

As it is, the cost to send it here to New Zealand is already prohibitive... :cry:
I suspect the "ultralight" backpacking craze is alive and well down in New Zealand and "that other island" . . . ;) and UL = lots of DIY.

You can find knock-off patterns for the Packa with some persistent Google searching; thus, if you have any kind of DIY sewing skills and access to a good fabric store, you can make your own to fit.

€83,-
For the remainder I used my umbrella. . . . I bought a large umbrella in Burgos for 18 Euros. It died a natural death of fatigue after many Caminos. . . . I'll buy another umbrella for my upcoming Camino. It helps in walking, shades against the sun, is perfect against rain, and all this without getting sweaty. If the weather turns into a storm, with heavy wind gusts, I'll have to sit it out under roof. Which I would do with any other equipment:rolleyes:
Just my two cents.;)
I can't agree strongly enough about the utility of the umbrella!!! GoLight makes a version (ChromeDome, ~8 oz, ~$20USD) and I swear by it. It is made specifically for backpacking and uses carbon-fiber stays. The entire thing can flip inside out without worry about damage, and there are no fragile or complex joints to worry about.

Along with a 4 oz superlight windjacket with DWR treatment, an umbrella/windjacket combo offers the greatest range for temperature and conditions of any system I've come across thus far, at the lowest weight and at a fraction of the cost of a GoreTex/eVent jacket.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have always preferred using a rain jacket and trousers to a poncho. In Late August we set off from Roncesvalles in torrential rain. The rain ran down my back, between jacket and pack cover, it poured down my trouser legs into my boots and I ended up drenched. We bought a 'raincoat-poncho' which is a combination of poncho and raincoat. It is a long rain coat with sealed seams, ventilation flaps in the front which zips up and has velcro stays; long sleeves with velcro to tighten around wrists, a snug hood with a peak and an adjustable 'hunchback' at the back to accommodate a backpack. It really was the answer in the rain. Better than a regular poncho which can blow up in the wind and which wide open sleeves don't keep your long sleeves dry. With a pair of short gaiters to keep trouser bottoms dry, it is all you need to keep dry without sweating up.
It was made in Spain and cost 28 euro. You can see it here: http://www.altus.es/default.aspx?info=00022D or order online at http://www.barrabes.com

I saw so many people with ponchos, including my love and Camino partner go with the ponchos. They complained of cold and being wet inside. Besides that, on windy days you would see the things blowing all over the place. Maybe others had different experiences. I don't mean to plug any particular product, but for the whole Camino I wore an REI rain parka that I have to this day, and never got wet inside. It also kept me warm. Through the years, even while in the army, I tried lots of gear, but this is the one thing I take with me around the world, and it is made for layering underneath. I have a picture of me wearing it in the media section of this forum in a picture titled Templar Tomas of Majarin so you can see what it looks like. I did some research, but in the end just took a gamble and bought it before the Camino. It did what it said it would do and more. Besides, it is sharp looking and doesn't get in the way. It also has a nice hood for those rainy days and side ventilation slits to get you cool. I was lucky to have found it.

found this raincoat on eBay USA: Orange Long Reflective Raincoat hood w/ visor poncho for cycling trail backpack. Looks like an interesting option.raincoat.jpg

Just beware not all Altus are the same. I bought an Altus Athmospheric Light in SJPP in 2012 and I was thrilled with it. I have just received an Altus Athmospheric Light from a company called Ferrovicmar in Zaragoza and thefabric is different. The inside has an oily feel and instead of hanging free like my previous one, it clings to you and consequently bad condensation problems occur. I am gutted about it. We had similar problems when my husband and cousins ordered anAltus ( not the lightversion) fromBarrabes in 2012, they were on special and theywere equally hopeless, apparently they were the basic type, not the athmospheric type. I had raved about my old Athmospheric non light and when we closely compared ourAltuses the fabric was quite different, just like it is different on theLight I just bought.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know if anyone has tried these, but I found this poncho with built in pack cover on amazon and it's £11. I've ordered one. I'm a bit worried it'll be too long as it looks massive and I'm 5'5". It's got taped seams and looks ok from the pictures. I'll update this post when it arrives from China.

Last edited:
Excellent article - thank you.
Not entirely about the conclusions.

Ponchos and rain suits each have pluses and minuses. I found a $3 solution to the drawbacks of my North Face rain set (jacket and pants). I carry a thin poncho -- the pocket, emergency type they sell in sporting goods stores that weighs almost nothing -- and put it over my rain suit on days when it pours. What a difference! To keep water from running off my rain pants and into my socks and boots, I now use the plastic bags in which my Sunday newspapers arrive. As gaitors, they don't look great, but with the help of rubber bands (or tucked into socks, up under the pants), they bridge the gap between pants and boots and weigh next-to-nothing. (Trim the bags so plastic covers the tongue of boots.) Sounds crazy, but it works surprisingly well. Low tech solutions to low tech problems.

I bought a new poncho a couple of weeks ago (as I had given mine away to someone that needed it). It's a German brand, Wäfo - I bought the 4011 Monsun model (which for some reason is listed under the green 4006/4007 model ????). It's not the cheapest (ca € 50) , but it works well with a pack and without, and it has buttons so that you can play around with the length.

Might be an option for people depending on where they live - it's around 400g, so probably too heavy for some. The company has been around for a while, and from what I see on German forums they last a while, people are still using poncho's they bought 10-15 years ago.

I normally have a couple of clothes pegs and/or document clips with me, and use these to "tighten"the poncho if it's windy... I also use wool/alpacca/silk mixes for my layering, so still keep warm, even if there's condensation and the temperature is low.

I'm firmly in the "poncho camp", so this is probably not useful info if you prefer jacket/trouser/packcover combo;)

I don't know if anyone has tried these, but I found this poncho with built in pack cover on amazon and it's £11. I've ordered one. I'm a bit worried it'll be too long as it looks massive and I'm 5'5". It's got taped seams and looks ok from the pictures. I'll update this post when it arrives from China.
I picked it up from the Post Office today - it's a very bright orange colour (advertised as reddy orange) and the material is quite "crispy" and makes a noise when you move. It reaches down to my knees, has a peak in the hood and two ways of adjusting it so it doesn't fall over your eyes. I tested it in the shower and it didn't leak, apart from water coming in by my face and hands. The sleeves aren't so good if you lift your hands up as there's no elastic or velcro to keep the sleeves closed so could let rain in. It's got enough space inside for me and a massive rucksack, and probably a bit to spare. The rucksack pouch zips away if it's not in use. I'm happy with the quality and light weight of it, hopefully it should do the job.
Not sure if it's as good as the old Altus (not that I've seen one), but it's decent quality and cheap enough.

My wife and I completed our Camino (Sarria to Santiago) in Sept 2013 in excellent summer weather, never the less we carried our Altec Atmospheric Ponchos just in case. I have, unused, one small and, unused, one large Altec for sale at AUD$60 for both..

Contact me on jae2611@gmail.com

NB: the Ponchos are in Melbourne Australia.

Regards,
Jeff

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.