• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel & Hostel recommendations for Lisbon, Porto, & Via do Condo

dustylee

I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for the following: (1) an inexpensive hotel centrally located in Lisbon (we are going to be there for a couple of days & want to be able to get out & see the city) and (2) either an inexpensive hotel or hostel centrally located in Porto (also will try to arrive early in Porto from Lisbon by train & then have time for a tour); & (3) hotel in Via do Condo (we want to do the first stage by the coast & I don't think that there are any hostels in that town. )
We all have our flights scheduled, so this is the next step. Plan to be starting the walk on May 19th. Cannot wait!
dusty

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for the following: (1) an inexpensive hotel centrally located in Lisbon (we are going to be there for a couple of days & want to be able to get out & see the city) and (2) either an inexpensive hotel or hostel centrally located in Porto (also will try to arrive early in Porto from Lisbon by train & then have time for a tour); & (3) hotel in Via do Condo (we want to do the first stage by the coast & I don't think that there are any hostels in that town. )
We all have our flights scheduled, so this is the next step. Plan to be starting the walk on May 19th. Cannot wait!
dusty
I like to leave an answer on lodging in Lisbon to my forum friend Diogo.He knows the hotelworld in Lisbon and lives around. He definitively will respond.

In Porto however are many hostals in the center. Just have a look at the website www.Vialusitana.org or in John Brierley's guide camino Portuges.

In Vila do Conde are some hotels at various prices (www.bookings.com) but if you go on +3 kms f.ex. by metro you'll find a rather new albergue which I think is a reasonable cheap alternative and the day after you will be on your way either to Viana do Castello along the coast or to the interior route to São Pedro de Rates

Bom caminho

Last edited:
dusty

Hey there :D

Well, in Lisbon you have plentiful of options. I don't know how much are you intending to spend, but I work in a Hotel in Lisbon, called Hotel do Chile. You can check it out in http://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/do-chile.pt-pt.html We will probably have some discounts for some periods of this year.You can also make your reservation via email to info@hoteldochile.com If you do it by this way, send the email in my name, that I will try to get a discount for you :)

Otherwise, you can also check Booking.com for other places.

In Porto, I will recommend to you Oporto Dixo's Hostel. It was in 2 years the best Hostel for HostelWorld users and I think that you will like it. A lot of pilgrims stay there, because it stays located just 500m from the Cathedral. The owners have also done the Caminho, so you will find a very good place to stay.

About Vila do Conde, I don't know nothing about that, but check vialusitana.org jus has my good friend @Albertinho said.

Best Regards
Diogo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love Lisbon!!! Been quite a few times, so much so I now have local friends to stay with! But three times I stayed in a hotel and I really liked it. Residencial florescente. Affordable, great location, friendly staff. I recommend it.

I'm staying in Porto and Lisbon this April and May. In Porto I'm staying at Hotel Paulista which is in the central a Square and great spot to use as a base to tour around Porto. Stayed there last year. In Lisbon I will be staying in an apartment. My research showed me this was better value than a hotel as I will only be using it for bed and shower and will eat out each day. I will be staying here, Benformoso 151, 1100-084 Lisbon, Portugal found it on housetrip.com
Wish you all the best.
Bon Camino

dusty

"The Poets Hostel " in Porto & Lisbon are highly recommendable. They include a substantial breakfast, free internet, information & are the friendliest! Just Google them. Casa da Laura in Vilarino is wonderful too. Caroline at the bar on your left as you enter Vilarino will help you. Enjoy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"The Poets Hostel " in Porto & Lisbon are highly recommendable. They include a substantial breakfast, free internet, information & are the friendliest! Just Google them. Casa da Laura in Vilarino is wonderful too. Caroline at the bar on your left as you enter Vilarino will help you. Enjoy!

With permission. Vilarinho is not on the way to Vila do Conde. @dustylee spoke about the detour from Porto to Vila do Conde.
To reach Vilarinho you have to leave Porto in a different way and besides walking to Vilarinho you'll have to walk alongside busy roads. very stressfully ! If you do do not forget your yellow safety jacket !
The detour from Porto via Matosinhas to Vila do Conde is very relaxing and quiet alongside the ocean.

Last edited:
Dusty - you should find some earlier threads here with pilgrims' experiences and recommendations. To recap on mine from 2012:
Lisbon: I booked the Old Town Hostel and really liked it. Young crowd there, but friendly. Run by father and son. Had a simple but pleasing twin bed room. One bus from the airport to its terminus at the quayside and 10 minute walk (uphill) into the bairro alto. It's about 15 minutes from the church where you can get the credencial (Igreja dos Martires). A leisurely 40 minute walk across town to the castle.
Porto: I stayed at the Poet's which was lovely. It has a range of accommodation options with dormitories on one site and the private rooms in a separate building with sweet little garden about 50 yards away. Communal meal was fab. It's a few yards from the route and about 10 minutes away from the cathedral.
Vilar do Conde: I took the first option in Brierley's guide, but there are several others listed. Casa de Hospedes "O Manco d'Areia" is just across the bridge on the left and was clean and functional - en suite, no meals. The important thing about VdC is to arrive with enough energy to climb the steep hill above the town to where the Roman aquaduct meets the convent.

Dusty - you should find some earlier threads here with pilgrims' experiences and recommendations. To recap on mine from 2012:
Lisbon: I booked the Old Town Hostel and really liked it. Young crowd there, but friendly. Run by father and son. Had a simple but pleasing twin bed room. One bus from the airport to its terminus at the quayside and 10 minute walk (uphill) into the bairro alto. It's about 15 minutes from the church where you can get the credencial (Igreja dos Martires). A leisurely 40 minute walk across town to the castle.
Porto: I stayed at the Poet's which was lovely. It has a range of accommodation options with dormitories on one site and the private rooms in a separate building with sweet little garden about 50 yards away. Communal meal was fab. It's a few yards from the route and about 10 minutes away from the cathedral.
Vilar do Conde: I took the first option in Brierley's guide, but there are several others listed. Casa de Hospedes "O Manco d'Areia" is just across the bridge on the left and was clean and functional - en suite, no meals. The important thing about VdC is to arrive with enough energy to climb the steep hill above the town to where the Roman aquaduct meets the convent.

Poets Hostel in Porto it's now a guest house, and don't have any bunk beds avaliable.

Best Regards
Diogo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Diogo,
I took your advice and had a look at the Hotel Do Chile web site and booked to stay 5 nights from March 25th. I'm looking forward to looking around Lisbon, Sintra and Obodos.
Buen Camino, Judy.

Hi Diogo,
I took your advice and had a look at the Hotel Do Chile web site and booked to stay 5 nights from March 25th. I'm looking forward to looking around Lisbon, Sintra and Obodos.
Buen Camino, Judy.

Judy, I would gladly receive you on the Hotel, but on the 25th of March I will be already doing my Caminho :)

If you don't forget too, say that I talked with you about the Hotel. I'm allways telling to my boss that we could do something for Pilgrims :D

Everything good for you.

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Diogo,
Buen Camino, Judy.

Judith, please check your Check In date, bceause your reservation in my system is to the 26th fo March. Tell me if it's correct.

Best Regards
Diogo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Diogo,
Sorry, my mistake, the booking is correct, the 25th is the date I fly out of Australia.
I will be sure to tell your boss where I heard about the Hotel do Chile.
I hope you have a great Camino.

Beun Camino, Judy.

Goggle hostels in Lisbon. Book in advance. It is cheaper than paying on the day.
At the airport you can buy a bus/tram ticket for about 3.50 euros which last at least 24 hours.

Goggle hostels in Lisbon. Book in advance. It is cheaper than paying on the day.
At the airport you can buy a bus/tram ticket for about 3.50 euros which last at least 24 hours.

Actually, part of this information it's incorrect. The 3,50€ bus ticket it's for the Aerobus. The 24 hour card, that you can use in Metro, Bus, and Tram, costs 6,50€ for the first time, and 6€ on the second time. 24 hours are really 24 hours, it's not a day card.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back