• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Everybody Hates Decazeville

Hal

Time of past OR future Camino
si
Hi everyone - first time thread starter, long time reader!

I tentatively plan to walk Le Puy-Conques, go by train to Lourdes (then possibly indulging in some sin by going to Biarritz for a sneaky spa and massage), then walk SJPP to Burgos.

Alas, the closest train station to Conques is Vivier Decazeville. I guess it should not be too long to walk, but would I be able to talk a taxi there from Conques? (Looking at the maps, it appears closer than Rodez is, and both places have trains to Toulouse).

And additionally, why does Decazeville have a bad rap? Does it have the atmosphere of that dreaded Spanish golf course ghost town I have read so much about, or is it steep , or involve a lot of road walking, or... ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can taxi from Decazeville to Conques in about 30 minutes on a circuitous scenic route. I like Decazeville. Les Volets Bleus is quite comfortable. It is a steep climb out, but not too lengthy.

Bon chemin.

Conques is not exactly a bustling center of transportation oppertunities. It sits quite isolated in a lovely wooded valley though I have seen taxis there. It will probably cost you a bundle since you will also be paying the cabbie for the route to come pick you up in an empty cab.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Decazeville is a mining town, hence the bad wrap. I understand there is now an excellent Gite - we stayed in a very downmarket hotel.

I was grateful for decazeville. I hitch hiked there off the trail. My boots had fallen apart and I was able to replace them at a sports shop there and a lovely kind man gave me a lift to livinhac so I could meet up with the rest of my family. After the surreal touristy feel of conquer it was good to be back in the world for a bit....

So there are rainbows among the clouds in Decazeville! Are the slopes down and up towards the town a problem in wet weather?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can also get to Conques from Rodez or St Christophe. You might have to take a taxi, but the price isn't too outrageous. I caught the early morning school bus from Conques to Rodez to go south. It was also an option to get a taxi to the St Christophe to get the Paris train. Both Rodez and St Christophe could be used in reverse to get to Conques, though the timing for the bus won't be as easy, and it does only run on school days. There is information here: http://www.tourisme-conques.fr/en/documents/TRANSPORTS 2014 TABLEAU.pdf
Margaret

@margaret, I read the KiwiNomad log before starting this thread! When the school bus was mentioned, I presumed the kindly bus driver let you hitch a ride.

@Scruffy: How much would a bundle for a taxi be, ballpark? Google maps says it is roughly 30km and 35 minutes from Conques to Vivier Decazeville. Assuming I am fortunate enough to happen upon an empty taxi in Conques, what would it be, 30 euros? 40 euros? And if I called a cab which drove over from the big smoke, I wonder how much that would be.

@margaret, I read the KiwiNomad log before starting this thread! When the school bus was mentioned, I presumed the kindly bus driver let you hitch a ride.
No Hal, others use the bus besides the school students. But it only runs on the days they have school, not on other days.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I didn't sleep in Decazeville but had a good salad there. I think that there may be a couple of reasons why people don't like the town. One is that it's kind of at the bottom of a basin and the open pit mine (3.7 km long, 2.5 km wide, 250 m depth) kind of towers over the town. Another thing that contributes to the general atmosphere is that like most mining towns it is full of all kinds of people whose parents or grandparents came to mine - but now there is no work available since the mining stopped in 2001. So the town looks rather scruffy in spots - especially when it is closed up for afternoon breaks- and the locals are likely somewhat unsure of their futures. And yup - it's quite a climb out again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back