• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things that I would do differently

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry Kanga, but I beg to differ, your comparison with blind and deaf is a bit strong. Firstly, I believe there are ways to medicate snoring. Secondly, -as Robo said-, snorers joining communal dorms is a bit like smoking in a non-smoking area. Yes, ear plugs, - a must for everyone staying in albergues-, fend-off the noises of light, occasional snorers well enough but don't help much, when you're bunked next to a Jericho-wall shaking type :(. It seems a matter of common curtesy that pathologic snorers should seek private accommodation and to bear the relatively small cost difference for such quarantine. Or, to maybe confront the fellow peregrinos with the predicament and giving them the alternative of chipping-in a coin or two toward the cost.....;).
I think it quite an unrealistic expectation that snorers should not use communal dormitories in albergues. This is not a matter of courtesy - in my experience it comes from an elevated sense of entitlement that unfortunately some pilgrims seem to have, while at the same time overlooking their own annoying and disruptive habits. Albergues are there for all pilgrims - if you feel you need to avoid the disruption of sharing with snorers, it is up to you to pay the cost of more private accommodation.

I think it quite an unrealistic expectation that snorers should not use communal dormitories in albergues. This is not a matter of courtesy - in my experience it comes from an elevated sense of entitlement that unfortunately some pilgrims seem to have, while at the same time overlooking their own annoying and disruptive habits. Albergues are there for all pilgrims - if you feel you need to avoid the disruption of sharing with snorers, it is up to you to pay the cost of more private accommodation.
A walk on the Camino does not always cure sanctimony. Keep praying that it will...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry Kanga, but I beg to differ, your comparison with blind and deaf is a bit strong. Firstly, I believe there are ways to medicate snoring. Secondly, -as Robo said-, snorers joining communal dorms is a bit like smoking in a non-smoking area. .

Bunkum. Firstly, in my husband's case he has been tested and he does not have sleep apnea. He snores not every night, but about every third night (and not all night). It is unpredictable. He has had surgery - full anaesthetic, the whole lot, with attendant risks, not for his sake but because he is concerned about the effect on others. It made no difference. The only way to "medicate" him would be to stop him breathing.
Secondly, smoking is a voluntary activity. Snoring is not.
An old hospitalero told me that everyone snores sometimes, that in a dormitory there will always be snorers, and that people should not complain because it is is a normal aspect of communal sleeping. He said it had always been thus, that if people could not tolerate snoring then they should go elsewhere. It is certainly the case that I cannot remember a single night spent in an albergue, when there has not been at least one person (excluding my husband) snoring sometime during the night. It is cruel and intolerant to single them out and to criticise them. They are us.

Yeah Doug!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't mind snorers whether casual snorters or Jericho wall busters (or deaf or blind, for that matter). I just pretend they are people too and I remember that I probably do something that is irritating too. I use earplugs so send them over towards me. It may take an extra minute or two for me to fall asleep but I can live with that. Pax snoritius.

Things I'm doing differently for walk this September (compared to Camino last year):
-- Taking a Kindle and MP3 player. I really missed ability to read books and listen to music.
-- Digitizing information I may need and sending it to my Kindle and cell phone. (No 11 ounce Brierley book!)
-- Taking lightweight pajamas (3.5 ounces total) and leaving behind lightweight sweatpants.
-- Replacing running shoes and flip flops with Crocs for non-hiking needs.
-- Adding plastic bags and rubber bands for use as gaitors.
-- Eliminating many "might need" items like headlamp, that I never used.
-- Replacing 36-ounce sleeping bag with 18-ounce model.
-- Replacing 6-ounce backpacker towel with 1.5 ounce microfiber cloth. (Good enough.)
These changes are cutting 5 pounds from my pack and will increase pleasure of the walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
...I don't see a need for three pairs of socks...
I took three pairs of socks but only wore two on alternate days. I'm glad I had the third pair, though, because as I walked I lost about 4.5 to 5 kg. It got to the point where the hip belt on my backpack could no longer be cinched tighter, so I duct-taped the spare socks to the inside of the belt to make up the difference. Necessity is the mother of invention ;)

Sorry Kanga, but I beg to differ, your comparison with blind and deaf is a bit strong. Firstly, I believe there are ways to medicate snoring. Secondly, -as Robo said-, snorers joining communal dorms is a bit like smoking in a non-smoking area. Yes, ear plugs, - a must for everyone staying in albergues-, fend-off the noises of light, occasional snorers well enough but don't help much, when you're bunked next to a Jericho-wall shaking type :(. It seems a matter of common curtesy that pathologic snorers should seek private accommodation and to bear the relatively small cost difference for such quarantine. Or, to maybe confront the fellow peregrinos with the predicament and giving them the alternative of chipping-in a coin or two toward the cost.....;).

Very sad to see people talking like this. People can't help if they snore.
I never had any problems with sounds. Why because I know I pay 10 euros for a room share with many people and not an hotel.
If you are bother by people snoring why don't you pay more and get you own room!
Believe me if you would spray me with a watergun while sleeping, It would not end well

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Coming back to the topic

The only thing I would do differently not going alone, but with my love

I have told her so many story's about the camino and have been in so many great places regretting not being there with her to share it with -_-

Thank god next Wednesday we will start out cf camino together :)

Last edited:
To the snorer-phobics, I empathise AND have a solution that does not alienate our snoring brothers and sisters!
If you are taking an electronic device, consider matching it with a pair of noise reduction headphones if you can budget for them. I have a Bose set which, when switched on, retains its noise reducing properties when not plugged into a device. I quickly got used to the sensation of them on my head and sleep like an infant!

Things I'm doing differently for walk this September (compared to Camino last year):
-- Taking a Kindle and MP3 player. I really missed ability to read books and listen to music.
-- Digitizing information I may need and sending it to my Kindle and cell phone. (No 11 ounce Brierley book!)
-- Taking lightweight pajamas (3.5 ounces total) and leaving behind lightweight sweatpants.
-- Replacing running shoes and flip flops with Crocs for non-hiking needs.
-- Adding plastic bags and rubber bands for use as gaitors.
-- Eliminating many "might need" items like headlamp, that I never used.
-- Replacing 36-ounce sleeping bag with 18-ounce model.
-- Replacing 6-ounce backpacker towel with 1.5 ounce microfiber cloth. (Good enough.)
These changes are cutting 5 pounds from my pack and will increase pleasure of the walk.

I was musing about several of these exact things, rsmith0000, re: Crocs, kindle/mp3/PJs, so I have to thank you for reading my mind!

If I may ask, what other "might need" items are on your black list?

Last edited:
I have no real regrets from my camino, but there are a few things that I'd do differently the second time around! I figured I may as well share, just in case someone finds themselves in the same position that I was in. If I could start again, I would…

1) Go inside the church in Santo Domingo. When we were there, there were two or three busloads of tourists walking in, so we decided not to bother with the crowds. When we got to Granon and the hospitalero told us the story of the chickens, I really regretted not going in!

2) Carry my pack to the Santiago cathedral. I really don't know what we were thinking! But it was pouring rain, we were exhausted, and we stopped in at an albergue in Santiago about a km from the church. We left our bags next to our beds - through sheer habit, I expect! - and went the last few steps packless. It felt a bit anticlimactic.

3) Use walking sticks from day one. Sore knees after the Napoleon pass put a real damper on the first 10 days of my trip. On more than one occasion I contemplated taking a bus or sending my pack ahead. I bought walking sticks on day four, but I think I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I'd just had them from the start. I'd also use knee braces for descents. I'm in my mid-thirties, and I was surprised at my knee pain.

4) Carry a more comprehensive first aid kit from the beginning. I don't mean bigger necessarily - just that I could have really used some gauze and tape on day two. We met a girl with large weeping blisters on each heel, and they were too big for any of the compeed or bandages that we were carrying. I stocked up on a few extra supplies in the next town, just in case.

5) Not send forward my down jacket after week one. Its weight was negligeable - 220 grams, I think - but my dad was sending forward some stuff, and I figured I wouldn't need it anymore since I was out of the mountains. It turns out that I needed it! I ended up buying another long-sleeved shirt for layering (and I already had 2 long-sleeved merino shirts AND a fleece). It was really cold some days in late March and early April!

If you could start again, is there anything that you would do differently?

1) Ditto
2) Thanks for the tip
3) I used a pair from day 1 and never regretted it. I frequently wonder if using the has spared me the various foot, knee, leg, and back issues experienced by so many pilgrims.
4) Ditto
5) Ditto

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I guess when you are a repeat offender, like me, you fix those things. Remembering back to my first Camino, these are the things I would and have changed:

(1) take a much lighter pack, with fewer clothes
(2) wear light shoes instead of boots
(3) take a poncho instead of a 3 layer Goretex jacket
(4) take a roll of micropore tape instead of Compeed
(5) take an umbrella
(6) take a lightweight down liner/quilt, instead of a sleeping bag
(7) take transition spectacles, instead of separate glasses and sunglasses

I also take a smartphone instead of books, maps, camera, and torch. But that's not really fair; when I first walked 14 years ago smartphones did not exist!

And I now walk to meet people, to see things of interest and beauty, to feel good, to meditate, and to enjoy the strength my body gains, instead of fixating on how many kilometres I do each day.

1) ditto (I really only needed one pair of quick dry hiking pants but had 2)
2) did it and never regretted it. Loved my Brooks Cascadias every step of the way.
3) did it and was pleased
4) hmm, food for thought
5) I've frequently wished for an umbrella, esp at night
6) I've lived having my super lightweight down sleeping bag; I just open it up except for the foot box and use it like a quilt with my feet in or out if the box depending on the heat
7) great idea

I would pay more attention to siesta times, and plan accordingly. Too often, when we were looking for dinner - 5:00 to 6:00 - the restaurants were closed. And having a big meal later in the evening didn't work very well with an early bed time.
Good idea; I usually walk from 0600 to 1400, shower, eat a ridiculously huge pilgrims menu for lunch around 1430, then fruit for dinner around 1900.

[Q UOTE="rcm, post: 223484, member: 34936"]How do you people with one pair of light shoes get through the mud? When I went over the Pyrenees the mud before "the leaves" was six inches deep.[/QUOTE]
Mud has not been much of an issue on my Camino, which began June 19.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Back in Santiago, two weeks ago, we had a lot of similar discussions sitting around drinking wine. Almost everyone said that if they were ever going to walk it again they would take at least 60 days. Just about everyone regretted not spending more time in certain cities or towns.
Almost all said they foolishly worried about the weight of their packs when in reality, they all became stronger as they walked and would pack many more comfortable things next time, no matter what those things weighted.
Lot of votes on more First Aide stuff also.
Women also liked the big ponchos that girls from Oz used as Mobile Banos in the fields along the Meseta.
Mixed feelings on cell phones--some would not bring one again while those who did not bring one said they might bring one next time. I did not take one so missed out on those special times each evening when groups of Pilgrims gathered together outside albergues , sitting in total silence , texting their Gods.
Lol, those texting gods times are indeed very special! ;-) Many of us also use our cell phones for keeping journals, posting on our blogs, improving our Spanish , etc. Right now, in Rivadosa, it's coming in very handy to post here!

I'd make a few changes.
1. Bring more, but thinner top layers to have more options for warmth without adding bulk. My fleece was bulky and inconvenient, but a thinner fleece combined with a light windbreaker would have been much more useful.
2. Bring zip-off hiking pants rather than separate pants and shorts
3. Bring hiking sandals as well as hiking shoes
4. Bring a lightweight dress for relaxing in the evenings
5. Leave the headlamp at home - never used it.
6. Bring more blister supplies (prevention and treatment), but leave most of the other first aid stuff at home.
7. Bring a lighter poncho - mine is great for regular camping and boating, but I never realized how heavy it was until I had to carry it around.

(Sorry for all the responses; I don't feel like reading or talking as I wait for my friends to arrive at this albergue...)
1) I ended up not bringing a fleece because if the bulk and have been fine with layers; a merino hiking shirt, synthetic REI jersey, topped off with a windbreaker and big shawl-type scarf that I use in all sorts of ways (skirt, shawl, sarong, privacy shield, towel, head covering...)
2) Ditto and I would make sure they had a ton of giant pockets
3) I ended up sending my Tevas ahead to Santiago the first week and buying knock off Crocs at a China shop; have never regretted it.
4) wish I had one with me
5) I have frequently wished for my headlamp
6) ditto; ended up buying A tube of Vaseline and a antibacterial cream. Didn't use 3/4 of the band aids or Ibuprofen I brought
7) I've been happy with my lightweight albeit expensive GoLite

Hi lrazzo. You say May June was quite cold. How cold? We are planning those dates for 2015.
Some nights it was in the 30's (Fahrenheit) and some days I don't think it got out of the 40s. I was expecting more USA East Coast weather where it would be in the 40s at night and 60s during the day. I was told that it was unusually cold so it may not be like that usually. The weather was freakish because we had beautiful weather on the first few days but people just a couple days behind us had hail and storms and I was told that they closed the pass one day because it was dangerous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To the snorer-phobics, I empathise AND have a solution that does not alienate our snoring brothers and sisters!
If you are taking an electronic device, consider matching it with a pair of noise reduction headphones if you can budget for them. I have a Bose set which, when switched on, retains its noise reducing properties when not plugged into a device. I quickly got used to the sensation of them on my head and sleep like an infant!

I was musing about several of these exact things, rsmith0000, re: Crocs, kindle/mp3/PJs, so I have to thank you for reading my mind!

If I may ask, what other "might need" items are on your black list?

Hello, Hal. In answer to your question on other "might need" items I'll leave behind this Camino: down vest (wore only once); moleskin (causes blisters); clothes line (safety pins work best); knit cap (too hot); folding knife and spork (replace with tiny set of plasticware you get on airplane flight over). In short: less is more. Best, Rebecca

Hello, Hal. In answer to your question on other "might need" items I'll leave behind this Camino: down vest (wore only once); moleskin (causes blisters); clothes line (safety pins work best); knit cap (too hot); folding knife and spork (replace with tiny set of plasticware you get on airplane flight over). In short: less is more. Best, Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca! Is moleskin a medical tape?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1) I ended up not bringing a fleece because if the bulk and have been fine with layers; a merino hiking shirt, synthetic REI jersey, topped off with a windbreaker and big shawl-type scarf that I use in all sorts of ways (skirt, shawl, sarong, privacy shield, towel, head covering...)

I have to say that I am always jealous of those who can wear wool. It is an incredible material. My skin doesn't like it though - actually no one in my family can wear it, so it must be some genetic sensitivity, probably to the lanolin in wool. At least we have good synthetic options for warmth these days. I think of my great-grandmother, from whom we have all apparently inherited this sensitivity - in her day, they didn't have the synthetics and she came from a cold climate. I've always wondered how she managed.

I was grateful every night for my giant noise-reducing Bose headphones although mine were connected to an iPod playing white noise.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Robo, it makes me very cross. People who snore can't help it, they have no control over it, and it is quite inhuman and uncharitable for them to be humiliated and despised. We rightly have stopped making fun of those who are blind or deaf or otherwise incapacitated, we spend public money on their needs and we don't mind if they cause us inconvenience.
I am the first to be amused by the sounds in albergue dorms but when travelling on Camino with my husband we also have been forced into private accommodation. My husband's snoring can bring down the walls of Jericho. I live with it at home by wearing earplugs. I don't understand why others can't.
"Let him without sin throw the first stone"
A lady we spent a number of nights with, regularly commented on the fact that I snored. One restless night, due my restless legs, I noted her in full flourish. I realise that when we sleep we are unaware of our body' s nocturnal communications. Many of those who self righteously complain of others harmonies may be making their own but be unaware. Put in your earplugs and cover your eyes against the light and remember you are living communally and accept the difficulties along with the blessings

And there you have it. Does anyone truly believe that snoring is a new phenomenon to mankind?

Kanga, I think the response you just received is evidence of what the Camino has become.

"Let him without sin throw the first stone"

Well said HelenB,

Maybe those who have such issues with sleeping with a half dozen others should have thought about that.

Pano, may I ask what time you usually are up and walking?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm enjoying this thread...
I wish I was more loyal to my "gut feelings" ( I usually am pretty loyal to them) . I researched well and packed with no regrets BUT I listened to someone in St Jean who convinced me to throw out a fitted sheet and a nail file. I wished for that fitted sheet every night and searched hi and low for a nail file.

What I DID do differently the second time around and will continue to do.
I used Sheep skin strap covers for my backpack straps and my shoulders felt a millions times better on my Norte than they did on my Frances.
I used a Z-Pack front pack that was worth it's weight in gold to me, it held my books, passport, and money.
I packed a Macabi skirt and from now on will take ONLY that for my lower hiking attire ...and will take ONLY one.
I left the stinky blue microfiber "athletic" towel (that everyone had) and used a big cotton scarf to towel off. This dried quick, washed easily and served as a pretty accessory when I need a little pick me up of color.
I packed a fitted sheet and pillowcase- would never do the Camino without them. I do regret not modifying the pillow case for oversized pillows.
I wore ultra light marathon shoes HOKA ONYE ONYE Stinsons...wore wonderful Brooks the first time but my Hokas left me with way less foot pain.
I didn't pack thonged sandals...they gave me blisters the first time.
I don't see a need for three pairs of socks etc... BUT do for underwear because for some reason a pair does seem to come up missing each Camino.
I would advise women with clock work monthly cycles to be prepared for their cycles to throw you a curve ball- have needed items.
Saved my pennies for Merino Wool products that didn't need to be washed as much as other items, and didn't retain smell.
Utilized grocery stores more so I always had a little munchy with me...
Didn't take a camel back water resevoir as mine broke on Camino #1

Next time
I think I just might leave my sleeping bag behind and do the sleeping liner

My biggest social regret
A youngster invited me to sleep out with him under the stars one night, he was half my age...totally pilgrim appropriate...and I wish I had had that experience of camping on the way with a young gentleman who clearly knew how to camp...

I just saw your post. I am pleased the ZPacks chest pack worked for you, as it did for me. Did you wear it high (chest / bustline) or low (tummy). I did the tummy thing as it was easier to access and provided my hands a place to rest when not using poles, and walking flat and rolling terrain.

I also found another product that works in a similar fashion made by Solomon. I saw another pilgrim using one. I did not get to speak to him, but I did ID the bag and later researched and located it online. It is actually intended for long distance runners. Here is a link: http://www.salomon.com/us/product/custom-front-pocket.html

I bought one of these Solomon bags when I returned home from my second Camino. I am evaluating it as a possible replacement for the Zpacks bag. Both bags cost about the same, at least in the U.S.

A couple of points on each bag:

The ZPacks bag:
  • Is much lighter in weight when empty,
  • Offers marginally more mounting and carrying options (chest, tummy, shoulder, waist, or hand-carry),
  • Will hold about two liters in total volume; and
  • Has one compartment, and no external places to easily attach stuff.
The Solomon bag:
  • Is larger and will transfer more weight from rear to front,
  • Is heavier empty than the Zpacks bag as it has more features,
  • Has two bottle pockets for half-liter bottles (my chosen "best" water bottle solution),
  • Has reflective accents for improved visibility in low light conditions,
  • Has multiple pockets for organization,
  • Has marginally fewer mounting / carrying options (chest, tummy, shoulder, or hand carry) ,
  • Has more external places to attach stuff you might need (poncho, umbrella, torch, towel, etc.),
  • Has mesh and padding on the side facing your body; and,
  • Will hold up to 5 liters total capacity.
Neither bag is totally waterproof, but I assess that the Zpacks bag is more protective by itself.

I am a firm believer in using either bag on my next Camino. We will see what develops.

I hope this helps someone...

Last edited:
I have no real regrets from my camino, but there are a few things that I'd do differently the second time around! I figured I may as well share, just in case someone finds themselves in the same position that I was in. If I could start again, I would…

1) Go inside the church in Santo Domingo. When we were there, there were two or three busloads of tourists walking in, so we decided not to bother with the crowds. When we got to Granon and the hospitalero told us the story of the chickens, I really regretted not going in!

2) Carry my pack to the Santiago cathedral. I really don't know what we were thinking! But it was pouring rain, we were exhausted, and we stopped in at an albergue in Santiago about a km from the church. We left our bags next to our beds - through sheer habit, I expect! - and went the last few steps packless. It felt a bit anticlimactic.

3) Use walking sticks from day one. Sore knees after the Napoleon pass put a real damper on the first 10 days of my trip. On more than one occasion I contemplated taking a bus or sending my pack ahead. I bought walking sticks on day four, but I think I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I'd just had them from the start. I'd also use knee braces for descents. I'm in my mid-thirties, and I was surprised at my knee pain.

4) Carry a more comprehensive first aid kit from the beginning. I don't mean bigger necessarily - just that I could have really used some gauze and tape on day two. We met a girl with large weeping blisters on each heel, and they were too big for any of the compeed or bandages that we were carrying. I stocked up on a few extra supplies in the next town, just in case.

5) Not send forward my down jacket after week one. Its weight was negligeable - 220 grams, I think - but my dad was sending forward some stuff, and I figured I wouldn't need it anymore since I was out of the mountains. It turns out that I needed it! I ended up buying another long-sleeved shirt for layering (and I already had 2 long-sleeved merino shirts AND a fleece). It was really cold some days in late March and early April!

If you could start again, is there anything that you would do differently?

Good list. Next year I will go into the church at Santo Domingo. I stopped there for a "rest day" and rested so much I didn't really look around.

1) I will NOT take my bigger camera OR my sleeping bag. I sent both home from Pamploma, bought a light sleepingbag liner until the one my daughter sent arrived in Burgos. Used her liner the rest of the trip. I've now purchased a bit of a thermal liner, with some warmth and a bit of cushioning, but it's only about 5 oz.

2) I won't take a headlamp (have a light on my phone) or some of the other small items I never took out of the pack.

3) I won't stick so closely to the Brierley and Michelin book "stages", stopping at some of the towns NOT at the end of each page. I did that for the last two weeks, and enjoyed being in places that weren't packed with people who WERE walking "by the book".

4) I'd do just a few little side trips suggested in Brierley's book, now that I know the lay of the land a bit better.

5) in Santiago, I'd book a private little room in the St. Martin Pinero Seminario Maior right from the day I arrive at the end. Last year I stayed in a little pension (not bad, but a bit down at the mouth), and THEN booked a little room at the Seminario Maior (not Seminario Minor) for a week, so I could finish writing my experiences.

6) I'd walk to Finisterre EVEN in the rain, rather than take the bus, or at least I'd wait until the rain subsided. I would certainly at least walk from Finisterre to Muxia.

7) I'd AGAIN take my walking sticks from day one. You are correct . . . they make an incredible difference in the stress on knees, and on my balance. I was grateful for them every day. I was one month from my 67th birthday when I arrived in Santiago and I felt GREAT!

Thanks for your list. I don't know the story of the chickens in Santo Domingo. But I do remember Grañon.

3) I won't stick so closely to the Brierley and Michelin book "stages", stopping at some of the towns NOT at the end of each page. I did that for the last two weeks, and enjoyed being in places that weren't packed with people who WERE walking "by the book".

curious are these towns in the latest edition do you know , or what edition were you using . Thanks

J

1) I will NOT take my bigger camera OR my sleeping bag. I sent both home from Pamploma, bought a light sleepingbag liner until the one my daughter sent arrived in Burgos. Used her liner the rest of the trip. I've now purchased a bit of a thermal liner, with some warmth and a bit of cushioning, but it's only about 5 oz.

Hi,
When did you walk? I'm going in September through October and am still dithering about a sleeping bag. I've got a silk liner and am thinking of adding a thermal one but I'm not sure it will be enough in October in the higher altitudes. Thanks. Mary

Appears that by "doing things differently", most people believe it is a way to plan the next trip not to think back on the first trip. I guess that if I were to do something so evil that I would have to walk again for penance, I would have to think differently of the repeat pilgrims. Have to admit that whenever someone said they were walking " again", our group of first timers shied away from them. Guess we expected their Gods to hit them with lightening or somehow punish them, so better to not sit/walk near them.We used to talk in the evenings about repeat walkers we met that day , making up stories of their possible sins that forced them to walk again...and again. We could have written a short Horror story book with a chapter about each repeat walker we met. Much more fun that sitting staring at a cell phone texting messages all evenings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also learned that shops may not be always be open (!!)

You sure got that right. After forgetting my soap in an albergue, I went 4 days before I found a store with a bar of soap. After my underwear was stolen from albergue clothes line , I found several hiking stores with synthetic shorts for 37 Euros each but it took days before I found a cheap place to buy mens underwear. Stayed in many towns with no stores (or bars!) and also passed many stores closed for Siesta or for Sunday. Camino does not generally follow streets with actual stores with decent prices. In 43 days I was able to locate two Chinese stores that were open. Never did find a store that was open that sold 10 pound test fishing line so I could sew up two major rips in my backpack. And don't believe that every little town has a Pharmacia--lot of kilometers between those places.
Dental floss is great for that kind of repair and a lot more and it's lite.

Happy Trails

And thanks from me too for the duolingo.com reference, I'm really enjoying it. (Though I think I'm only up to a child's storybook level so far - I'm hoping 'The green duck eats white rice" will come in handy somewhere along the way.....);)
LOL. Too funny.

Happy Trails

€149,-
Dental floss is great for that kind of repair and a lot more and it's lite.

Happy Trails

Two meters of 550lb. nylon paracord, good for spare shoe or boot laces, and the inner strands are useful for sewing repairs as well.

It seems that being a snorer on the Camino is about as socially acceptable as being a smoker 'back in the World'. I gave up the latter 20 years ago but sadly the former is yet to succumb to the sleep centres, doctors and hypnotherapists. .... One of the reasons we'll be 'going private'. The water pistol does sound like a good idea though :)
Hey, snoring does not smell. Flatulance on the other hand........; )

Two meters of 550lb. nylon paracord, good for spare shoe or boot laces, and the inner strands are useful for sewing repairs as well.

I carry 2 braided para cord bracelets / zipper pulls. : )

Happy Trails.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Forgot how nice it was to see that smoking was socially acceptable along the Camino. If I did it again, I think I'd start smoking again while I walked. Have not smoked for about 6 years, but always liked the smell of cigarette smoke hanging in the ground fog along the early morning Camino.

Smaller backpack and less clothes.

I'm going to bring music... I'm taking the ukulele.... And maybe I'll listen to the music on the ipod a bit. It helps with the long slogs through the burbs of the bigger cities.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wouldn't stay in a single albergue, with the exception of Roncesvalles. All the albergues I stayed in the people were up at 5 am making massive amounts of noise, packing, talking among themselves, opening and closing doors again and again and letting light bleed in, etc... I stopped using albergues after my third one and paid a little more for pensions and was happy. I would take more cash or get an account at a Spanish bank. We had trouble using our cards throughout, even when the bank back home said all was good. I would lower my expectations about food. I thought it would be a foodie adventure. In most cases I found the food bland, especially breakfast and lunch. I would bring some powdered lemonade or something to supplement my drinks. The drinks over there are expensive and they don't give you much to start with. A 2 euro refill on a small glass of orange juice is way too much. I would wear less cotton since it takes so long to dry.

Blimey. People's expectations sure have changed in the 14 years since I first walked the Camino. No doubt it is my fault, and the fault of other Camino "addicts". We rave about our good experiences with food, communal living, the culture and other earthly delights of the Way, but they really are only incidental. If you want good food go on a gastronomy tour. If you don't want to be disturbed by other people, go on a retreat. If you want art and culture, I recommend the Michelin star guide to find destinations. Venice is wonderful.

The Camino is a pilgrimage path. I don't think anyone needs a specific motivation to go on Camino - just a calling. But let's be realistic - it is not designed as a tourist venue.

If you want good food go on a gastronomy tour. If you don't want to be disturbed by other people, go on a retreat.

I'm sorry are you addressing me? First I wasn't seeking your input or approval. I was answering the initial post, which asked what we would change. I would change my expectations on food.

As for other people, I just expect common courtesy. If you're getting up early, have your bag packed ahead of time so you can go, instead of packing at 5 am.

I don't think my camino was touristy. If you're finding the pilgrims don't pass your muster, maybe you should find a new place to do a camino instead of telling other people what to do. I've been to Venice. It is nice.

€149,-
Was telling a friend about walking the Camino and he asked if I had read "Iberia" by James Mitchener. Read it a long time ago and reread the part about the Camino last night. WOW! I wish I had taken that Chapter with me on the Camino. Had no idea of how much I missed- to see the Leon Cathedral at 0300 is more impressive than Angar wat in Cambodia? The 24 elders of the Apocalypse with two playing a zanofona in the Santiago Cathedral. Why the guys who pull the rope for the Butafumerio must come from certain families. That one of the statues everyone thinks is Santiago is really Saint Martin, the patron saint of Tavern Brawlers. Highly recommend one read that chapter before doing the Camino.

How about the whole book? I'm am an avid reader. Maybe even a rabid reader. In fact one of those that gets really anxious without something to read in the evenings. I love historical fiction also.

Read History? Book I wrote--Xin Loi, Viet Nam has part that describes my life after death experience when I was killed in the Mekong Delta, Sept 10, 1970. Was the reason I walked the Camino--left the dog tags I wore for 3 tours of duty in Viet Nam on the Cross of Iron.

Bunkum. Firstly, in my husband's case he has been tested and he does not have sleep apnea. He snores not every night, but about every third night (and not all night). It is unpredictable. He has had surgery - full anaesthetic, the whole lot, with attendant risks, not for his sake but because he is concerned about the effect on others. It made no difference. The only way to "medicate" him would be to stop him breathing.
Secondly, smoking is a voluntary activity. Snoring is not.
An old hospitalero told me that everyone snores sometimes, that in a dormitory there will always be snorers, and that people should not complain because it is is a normal aspect of communal sleeping. He said it had always been thus, that if people could not tolerate snoring then they should go elsewhere. It is certainly the case that I cannot remember a single night spent in an albergue, when there has not been at least one person (excluding my husband) snoring sometime during the night. It is cruel and intolerant to single them out and to criticise them. They are us.

There is a very easy answer to the snoring problem, and that is that albergues should have a loud machine running in the background to drown out the snoring. White noise is the solution, no doubt about it.

About 6 years ago, I walked the Vdlp with a man carrying a CPAP (sleep apnea) machine. I was always careful to get a bed right next to his machine in the albergue because I was guaranteed a night's sleep without interference.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back