• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Take sleep mat or not???

BevBeevers

Bevbee
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept. 2014
I´m having doubts whether to take a sleep mat or not.. doing the Camino Frances in Sept.. Taking a sleeping bag, not sure about the mat... has anyone any advice/found a sleep mat useful??

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Never seen anybody use one inside. So i would say, nope, not needed.

Never took one or needed one for six week CF, but will take very thin and light one this September in Galicia - to sit or lie on for picnic lunches or just take a breather without needing to find a bench or worry about the ground being wet. Need it? No. But this time around I have got the weight of the pack down so far I can take it anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Never took one or needed one for six week CF, but will take very thin and light one this September in Galicia - to sit or lie on for picnic lunches or just take a breather without needing to find a bench or worry about the ground being wet. Need it? No. But this time around I have got the weight of the pack down so far I can take it anyway.
This is a good idea but I took just a small section of a mat for sitting on in 2013 as I had sat on lots of wet areas in 2012, just enough to keep the bum dry.
In answer to the OP I saw many mats discarded along the trail or in the albergues so other than for sitting on I would think there is no need.

I totally agree, but there will be two of us this time around, so a whole mat makes sense. The one we are taking is the very thinnest and lightest we could find at 180 grammes and won't be very nice to sleep on anyway. It's purely a sitmat. I was just surprised at how many people carried them and I never saw anyone sitting on them, even on the long stretches with no benches.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The section of sleeping mat gives a little padding to a bony bum. :)

But if you just took the sheet of plastic and put something like a fleece on top of it when you felt the need to rest there'd be ample cushioning for the boniest posterior.
And for the bonniest of posteriors, too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Make sure it's big enough that you can remove your shoes and socks too (Free the Camino Ten!) and let them breathe without risking getting sand, dirt or other abrasives on them which can cause a hot spot down the road (literally). Or bring one sheet for the bum and one for the feet.

I have taken mats with me on 4 occasions and not used them 2 times. This time I did not take one but could have used it on several occassions. On the Frances you do not need one unless you are committed to walking the time you want to walk, stopping where you want then the mat gives you a safety net if you turn up somewhere and it is full, but it would be a lot easier if you went for the no mat option.

I seem to remember seeing people using them on their beds in 2010. Being a holy year it was quite crowded, even in April and I believe they were used to prevent the users getting any bed bugs. I can't remember how often I saw them used or how effective they were as I never heard of anyone encountering any bugs at that time. I like the idea of 2 sheets of plastic when resting though, gonna use that one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A friend walked with her large bright yellow pad all the way from Germany.
Every day around lunchtime she would wander off the Camino and lie down in the cooling shade of a spreading tree and snooze for half an hour.
It was an absolute necessity as far as she was concerned.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Leave the sleeping mat home. No one uses them. Everyone commenting above has it right.

Either cut a small section from your sleeping pad to sit on, when sitting on a cold or wet stone wall or wet cafe chair, or use a section of bubble wrap.

I usually pack one or two 10 x 15 inch (25 x 38 cm +/-) plastic, self-sealing, bubble-mailer envelope in my rucksack as additional padding on my back. It serves as an expedient seat pad as described above, to carry papers you feel are necessary to have, to help organize your pack, and it can be used to mail stuff either "down the road" to Ivar in Santiago, or home.

And, as is usually the case, it weighs "virtually nothing...";)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A small piece of one is nice in cooler weather to sit on as the ground can suck your body heat.

Carried one and did not regret having it. Ever slept on hard ground for a couple nights? Lot of people slept in fields at least one night a week and during full moon. Try sleeping in your yard for a few nights WITHOUT a pad and report back. And we had people sleeping on hard floors of chapels when albergues were full in June. Sleeping pad weighted a lot less than the rocks I picked up while walking and carried in my pockets to put on the cairns of the Mountain Gods. Pad also makes a good pillow!

I´m having doubts whether to take a sleep mat or not.. doing the Camino Frances in Sept.. Taking a sleeping bag, not sure about the mat... has anyone any advice/found a sleep mat useful??
Don't even bother taking a mat. My husband and I took a tent, mats, sleeping bags, only used the sleeping bags once, ended sending all that stuff to Madrid so as not to carry extra stuff.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nope, don't take it. Found many purposefully left behind at albergues along the way, never saw anyone using one.

In the run up to my first attempt to walk the Camino I went to a sports shop where the helpful assistant advised a Thermarest. It cost more that £80 and I never once used it. That assistant missed a great opportunity. He could easily have sold me a pith helmet and a few cleft stick for carrying messages if he'd just been a bit cannier.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back