• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Security of Personal Belongings

P

Padraig O'Sheridan

I start my camino next month and my greatest fear is having someone walk off with my backpack, boots, or clothes drying on a clothes line. Am I being paranoid? Is there any way to secure your personal belongings while spending the night in an albergue?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A bit paranoid, but it can happen!
I am on walk now...in Leon... The only things I have lost are those that I have forgotten...I do keep all perceived valuables with me at ALL times...even to the shower....pack, sticks, boots, laundry have all been fine in their designated areas without me and have no complaints from other peregrinas ...of course it can happen anywhere but it is nice to let the fear go for awhile as we seem to be of like heart..it's like a little United Nations

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I start my camino next month and my greatest fear is having someone walk off with my backpack, boots, or clothes drying on a clothes line. Am I being paranoid? Is there any way to secure your personal belongings while spending the night in an albergue?

It may happen, we met a women who had her shoes stolen at one of the Albergues, fortunately who ever had taken her newer ones left theirs for her.... same size of course. :)

Last edited:
I just finished the Camino and we left our clothes on the line for a half day with no one touching them. I kept a smaller separate bag for valuables, like passports, a camera, phone, etc.. That bag went with me everywhere. Never had a problem. Be aware but not paranoid.

Had my underwear stolen from drying lines twice. Others had pants and jackets "borrowed". At Albergue de Austria , everything on line disappeared after dark one evening. Early risers typically cleaned out any food and wine in refrigerators--we gave up buying items in market for breakfast and storing them in frig. Korean girls would fill plastic containers with cooked rice/pasta in evening for next days meals only to have early walkers take their food. Inserts for footgear disappeared at many albergues--not sure why. Thought it was interesting that European walkers blamed Gypsy hikers for taking things which provoked the Spanish walkers who insisted they do not allow Gypsies in Spain.

Rule of thumb--if it is not on fire, it will disappear.

And don't believe that you can buy stuff everywhere along the Camino! Took me 4 days to replace a bar of soap! You might only pass stores during siesta or on Sundays. And many little "villages" have no store at all

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I do start my camino next month and I am a little concern about that, walking solo and no one to keep eyes on back packs. Did you guys walked solo?

Keep your money, passport and phone (so all valuables) on your person at all times, and you'll be just fine.
Nobody, seriously nobody, walks around with their pack after they have arrived at the albergues. Nobody takes the pack to the showers, toilets, supermercado ect ect...

Don't worry about it. Just use your all important common sense and you will be ok.

I do start my camino next month and I am a little concern about that, walking solo and no one to keep eyes on back packs. Did you guys walked solo?

Until I read on this forum of a backpack being stolen from a bus station, I thought it only happened in fiction (to Martin Sheen). Or in major centres like Barcelona or Madrid.

I am aware of an albergue near Pamplona experiencing a break-in and mobile phones and money being stolen (and police subsequently catching and charging the thief).

Most of us who have walked many times have only ever lost clothing items because we forgot them. Over 14 years of walking various Caminos I have never had anything - not a solitary item - stolen. Obviously I take great care and precautions with passport, wallet and mobile phone, but everything else I leave unguarded.

I don't disregard reports from a first time walker of many items of clothes being stolen from albergues. But it is strange. One would imagine stolen property would quickly be recognised at the next albergue or further up the path. The thief must be very brazen. Is this a new and disturbing trend on the Camino?

For myself, once I start worrying about my pack or clothing being stolen I will know it is time to stop walking the Camino. As for food being stolen, anyone who is that needy is invited to take mine.

In answer to your question yes, I do walk solo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wore a Pacsafe Venturesafe 100 Hip Pack.
It contained my passport, credentials, money, cards, electronics, and guidebook.
I wore it everywhere. I took it to the shower and the toilet.
It has many safety features. Wire meshed material. Wired belt. Zipper security locks.
I felt confident in crowded areas, but also... everything was easy to access.

Well, I did lose a shirt from the washing line at an Albergue in Cirauqui 4 weeks ago. I normally use nappy pins to secure my clothes on the line or clothes horse, but this time (out of laziness) I just used the pegs that were lying around. After dinner I went to retrieve my gear & pack ready for the morning & lo & behold, one shirt missing. No one claimed to have made a mistake & took it, so I had to buy a replacement when I got to Burgos. I guess it was taken by mistake, but I chuckle to myself when I think of the person putting it on as I'm a big lad & the chances are it will swamp whoever uses it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stolen underwear? That's bad.

Some people are obviously sex symbols and their underwear is in great demand. :p

To the OP: My wife & I never lost anything or heard of others losing anything - other than the things they forgot to take from the clothesline. It probably does happen at times but it sure isn't something I'd worry about. I was paranoid about our trekking poles though. Every now and then I put them in a bag and snuck them into the albergue. I'm still trying to think of a good solution to that paranoia for he next walk.

Met an Irish gentleman who walked from Paris to Santiago. He told us that north of SJPDP he met a pilgrim headed north carrying all type of expensive hiking gear/clothes in different sizes . He thought it unusual because this man bragged how he never spent anything to stay in albergues or for food as he always stayed in places that asked for donations which he did not do. He thought that this guy was one of many who collect expensive gear while doing the Camino.

Surprisingly I never heard of anyone losing electrical toys such as cell phones or IPODs or IPads...And they were lying around albergues being charged for hours.

my greatest fear is having someone walk off with my backpack, boots, or clothes drying on a clothes line.

If this is your greatest fear, then I think you should consider yourself very fortunate indeed :) And I am not being facetious at all. This is one of the wonderful things about the Camino - your major fears tend to vanish and you are left with the little stuff, which you then realize are not all that horrible. This process is incredibly freeing.

So what happens if someone walks off with some of your clothes? You then have fewer clothes and you may need to buy some things to replace items when you get to a town - or you may realize you didn't need those clothes anyway. Boots are a bit of a bigger problem because how are you walking to the next place without them? But you could buy new boots - get a taxi to a town with an outdoor store if you aren't someplace with one already. Same thing with a pack.

The risk of someone accidentally taking your clothes is low, but it could happen - the impact of the event is not high though - definitely not a Camino-ender, so don't worry about it. The risk of someone taking your boots or your pack is very low, probably low enough to be statistically immeasurable, so again, don't worry about it.

Now we have reduced your greatest fear to something you don't have to worry about. Isn't that fabulous?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
.... he met a pilgrim headed north carrying all type of expensive hiking gear/clothes in different sizes .

Well that's a first I gotta say. I've yet to meet anyone who pulled out all their hiking gear/clothes so that I was able to identify them as being a) expensive, and b) of different sizes. (I think I need a grain of salt or a big frickin' salt lick to swallow that one!)

To the OP, I've never had anything go missing, though I do keep all small valuables with me at all times (echoing Kanga's post). However I do try to hide my Pacer walking poles. After wrapping the tips in a plastic bag, I either lay them inside my spread-out sleeping bag or push them well underneath the bottom bunk, hidden from view. I would not want to be without those poles that's for sure!

If you're really that worried about losing stuff, you can also pay the extra money to go to a pension where you'll have a room with a door and a lock.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It may happen, we meet a women who had her shoes stolen at one of the Albergues, fortunately who ever had taken her newer ones left theirs for her.... same size of course. :)

I'm changing out my bootlaces to bright purple ones as soon as they arrive. Just incase someone leaves me funky boots and walks off with mine, I might be able to spot my boots on another person's feet. I have to do this with all my hiking socks. They mysteriously end up in my husbands sock drawer even though they don't fit. So I've been using my sewing machine to run a big pink zig zag stitch across the cuff and haven't lost any socks to him lately.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm changing out my bootlaces to bright purple ones as soon as they arrive. Just incase someone leaves me funky boots and walks off with mine, I might be able to spot my boots on another person's feet. I have to do this with all my hiking socks. They mysteriously end up in my husbands sock drawer even though they don't fit. So I've been using my sewing machine to run a big pink zig zag stitch across the cuff and haven't lost any socks to him lately.
I've always painted a butterfly on each of my boot toes and a flower at the back. As I have huge feet for a girl my boots will more than likely only fit men and I don't think they would like them looking girly. ;)

My husband and I were walking together, so we'd tie our boots together when we left them outside alberques. We figured that if anyone accidentally grabbed our boots, they'd figure out pretty quickly that they were the wrong ones when another pair came along for the ride :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[QUOTE="
So what happens if someone walks off with some of your clothes? You then have fewer clothes and you may need to buy some things to replace items when you get to a town - or you may realize you didn't need those clothes anyway. Boots are a bit of a bigger problem because how are you walking to the next place without them? But you could buy new boots - get a taxi to a town with an outdoor store if you aren't someplace with one already. Same thing with a pack.
[/QUOTE]

It certainly depends on what they took from you. I had my socks taken and I loved those socks as they had carried me so well in my training for the Camino. Try starting out from a small village without socks and hoping that the next village has a place where you can buy a decent pair to carry you the next 700 km.

However, when I washed my new socks out each evening, they were a constant reminder to me to just let my anger go and hope that whoever was wearing them was blister free like me.

Next Camino I am wearing bright pink and yellow iridescent socks. At least I would recognise them and I could have a private giggle. Would I ask for them to be returned? Probably not!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Due to the length of the Camino, I think people tend to purchase expensive gear for their hike. Lot of people compared the quality and comfort of their equipment with others during evenings at albergues. Generally, people were curious if expensive really equaled quality. Basically a lot of people knew who was carrying expensive gear and some of that gear disappeared. I was the same--bought expensive outdoor hiking clothes for Camino and $20 Under Armour briefs disappeared . Cheap clothes did not fly away from the drying lines! But going to Peru in 3 weeks and the most expensive piece of clothing in my ruck cost me $1.75 at the local Salvation Army store. Have had one backpack stolen and have met lot of people on travels who had packs stolen or cut open so I generally now travel with used stuff.

Next Camino I am wearing bright pink and yellow iridescent socks. At least I would recognise them and I could have a private giggle. Would I ask for them to be returned? Probably not!
If that person is also wearing my Keen boots with wild pinky purple laces, we'll be able to spot them a mile away!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great responses to this thread: a serious concern, a common fix, levity, solid examples of tried and true methods to render the possibility of loss minimal and, of course, REB drops in with an investment/personal gear metaphor "if you can't afford to lose it..."

One day at one of the albergues I was staying in, a fellow pilgrim came rushing in, holding a pair of pants in his hand and yelling "WHO STOLE MY PANTS??!! WHO STOLE MY PANTS??!!!!!" Those of us who were enjoying dinner, looked at each other puzzled. It took me a few seconds for me to realize that he was holding MY hiking pants in his hands, a pair I had washed out and which I left drying on the clothesline. I put my fork down and followed him as he raced from room to room, looking for his pants, holding mine hostage. He was using my pants to show what his pants looked like. I got my pants back. His pants had been moved to a different part of the clothesline by a couple of good Samaritans who didn't want them to get all wet from a rainstorm which had just moved in. Instead of assuming the worst, he should have just reviewed the situation. A calm glance would have saved him a bit of panic, but the rest of us, including me, would not have had such a good laugh at his expense.
Keep the things that you absolutely cannot replace close at hand all the time - Camino photos, credencial. Keep those things that would be a pain to replace, within sight all the time - passport, money, credit cards, electric tools (phone, iPad, etc.). Everything else, use common sense and trust the Camino (and your fellow man) to take care of you. You can't be looking out for your stuff 24/7, sometimes you just have to let go.
The only thing I lost was a comb, which I left at the albergue on day one (took me 3 days to find a store to buy another) and the rubber tip from one of my hiking poles - it got sucked off by the mud. LOL!

Kathy, your post reminded my of my stay in the albergue in Villafranca Montes de Oca. I was hanging around out back after lunch and it began to drizzle. I moved my laundry to a covered clothesline but then started moving everyone else's too as the rain picked up. I was almost finished when an older man came rushing over, telling me to keep my hands off his gear. I tried to explain that I was just trying to help but he said that he didn't want to lose any gear "to people like me". I wondered why losing gear to a bald man was worse than losing it to someone else. :p

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Has anyone ever finished with both rubber tips?

LOL - absolutely no! If they don't get caught in a drain or sucked off by mud they wear through, or elope with my nappy pins. I take spares, and stock up along the way as well.

It certainly depends on what they took from you. I had my socks taken and I loved those socks as they had carried me so well in my training for the Camino. Try starting out from a small village without socks and hoping that the next village has a place where you can buy a decent pair to carry you the next 700 km.

Did you only have 1 pair of socks? Socks are important and small - even packing ultra-light, I would bring spares, not just for the possibility of theft, but in case a sock wears out, gets lost, doesn't dry overnight due to damp weather, etc.

One thing that I did to minimize the risk of someone taking my socks or undies - when I hung them on the line, I used large safety pins to secure them rather than clothes pins. I figured that this would prevent someone from accidentally taking these items since safety pins are harder to undo and someone would realize that they had the wrong items before going away with them. And if someone is intent on stealing socks and undies, they would more than likely take someone else's rather than screw around with my safety pins.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Washing done, dried, folded and ready to pack. Only the socks were taken as they were sitting atop my meagre possessions. Yes I had safety pins and did all the right things. One just does not expect them to disappear. I had had a very bad day including a heavy fall and my clothing was wet, muddy and I was also a bloody mess. I was able to patch up my broken skin and my spirit. I thanked my rescuers who helped me onto my feet and onto the next town. Yes my guard was down but the last thing I need that day was for the socks to just get up and walk away from my little pile. Ah the lessons one learns about oneself on the Camino are special. I coped with difficulty, I managed, I am grateful for my journey and what it taught me about myself. I always say a prayer for my "good samaritans" to this day.

I have done the Camino 4x and will
leave in a couple weeks for my 5th.
What I am hearing is surreal ....I have never heard such a thing before.....
God helps you.... But watch you horses!!!!
When you travel ...you have to travel smart....if you are in NYC, Paris, Rome or in the Camino. You backpack will be hold in you bed, your values will be in your waist all the time. Listen to your gut feelings.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kathy, your post reminded my of my stay in the albergue in Villafranca Montes de Oca. I was hanging around out back after lunch and it began to drizzle. I moved my laundry to a covered clothesline but then started moving everyone else's too as the rain picked up. I was almost finished when an older man came rushing over, telling me to keep my hands off his gear. I tried to explain that I was just trying to help but he said that he didn't want to lose any gear "to people like me". I wondered why losing gear to a bald man was worse than losing it to someone else. :p
Perhaps he had been unable to yell "Hey, you kids, get offa my lawn!!" for such a long time that his energy was all penned up and you just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. And, for the record, bald guys can move my clothes to a drier spot on the clothesline any time. :)

Did you only have 1 pair of socks? Socks are important and small - even packing ultra-light, I would bring spares, not just for the possibility of theft, but in case a sock wears out, gets lost, doesn't dry overnight due to damp weather, etc.

One thing that I did to minimize the risk of someone taking my socks or undies - when I hung them on the line, I used large safety pins to secure them rather than clothes pins. I figured that this would prevent someone from accidentally taking these items since safety pins are harder to undo and someone would realize that they had the wrong items before going away with them. And if someone is intent on stealing socks and undies, they would more than likely take someone else's rather than screw around with my safety pins.
I like the idea of using safety pins - I never thought of it. I used clothespins and never had a problem, but using safety pins isn't a bad idea plus they're multi-purpose.

Has anyone ever finished with both rubber tips?
I have finished all my long walks with rubber tips on both my poles! Like @Kanga, I take spares so I can leave them in as rewards for future archaeologists, and sometimes get so carried away that I have to restock my spares.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The stone I'm carrying has the words "Fear" on one side and "Judgement" on the other I hope to lose both by Cruce de Ferro .

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back