• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino When your Camino doesn't go 'as planned'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jenny - glad "Our Kat" is being looked after by you and friends - BTW the picture of Don should have the FBA warning!! (Just kidding). When are you home? I have some "news" but will email it (concerns MH17).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi B -

Don and I acted on your top idea of the new 'FBA' warning and hot-footed it around to Ivar's office to discuss its implementation straight away!

Sorry to have put you and Don to the trouble, Jenny. It dawned on me later that the only need for an "FBA" (so far) has stemmed from your lurid photos and Kat's graphic descriptions. Probably not worth Ivar's time trying to keep up with exceptional personages such as you two.

I hope Santiago is recovering from your get-together.;)

B

CarriePhoto:
I had the lovely pleasure to meet Kat in Leon! (The photo with us drunkning champagne at the breakfast in Parador!)
Maybe I will have the same pleasure and meet you in Sarria?! I will come to Sarria 18.34 today: 21st of july?! Take care of you and your blisters!
And a big hug to you Kat!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ah the Camino and its problems. I wish i had listened to advice en route re not walking with my crutches, then falling and having headinjury meaning no more camino fly home

if only...........

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lotta! How funny! I think we were on the same train.

My blisters are doing better now, not great though. My hospitelero just made me a bath of water, salt and vinegar for them. (She's the best)

I'm gonna try walking tomorrow though... So we will see how far I get! Hopefully I'll see you along the camino! (Or maybe even at a bar later for a drink)

Sorry to have put you and Don to the trouble, Jenny. It dawned on me later that the only need for an "FBA" (so far) has stemmed from your lurid photos and Kat's graphic descriptions. Probably not worth Ivar's time trying to keep up with exceptional personages such as you two.

I hope Santiago is recovering from your get-together.;)

B
Hi B -
No problem about our visit to Ivar's office! Don was happy to show me where it was so I could visit later this week, and so tell Ivar of Kat's tale of woe and true Aussie grit - hopefully a few "likes" will be forthcoming from the 'home' of the Forum!
BTW - never mind Santiago 'recovering' from our Saturday night - what about your fellow Forum members! Having said that, our Forum members make not only Santiago very special, but the Camino very special too. The Forum members have really made 'my' hospitalera Camino this year - both the Forum members I caught up with and those who sent messages of support.
Cheers - Jenny
ps - if Saturday's photo is any indication, you probably won't need the FBA warning, unless you're about to tuck into a croissant!:D

Last edited:
Cue drum roll...........

The photos you have clearly all been waiting for with baited breath ;)

Finisterre

My beautiful feet that are so heavily scarred, falling to pieces (literally!) and fragile, made the walk tonight to the lighthouse and back. And when the droves left as soon as the sun dipped into the ocean, I stayed on and drank cava and ate a picnic with my friend as we absorbed the magic of the moment. Proud to say that we were the last ones to leave that spot. So many emotions. Far more than Santiago for me. Beauty for me lies in the sheer simplicity of something and sunset tonight was the right moment for me.

I couldn't be there of course without a foot snap...esp for you Al. Simply B I made sure it was a G rated photo ;)

Enjoy :)

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405981217.800512.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405981255.574375.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405981390.902177.jpg
Even a pilgrim deserves a drink :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey! Last night at dinner, the waiter sat a girl next to us and we randomly chatted through-out the meal. This morning, about 5km into the walk, we met CarriePhoto again and discovered we had been talking on your thread together! The camino provides!
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406023297.916555.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406023222.483222.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406023222.483222.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 28
She told me that she realized this - that we met on the forum - just after we had ended the dinner and gone to our different albergues. It is soooooo amazing?!
Well, this morning, we met again in one of thoose albergues just after Sarria. We went together after that. Talking... - a lot! And suddenly.... We ended up at your place Kat! It is not so far from Australia as you told me, Kat. Just some small villages after Sarria!

But where are You?!

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406026099.507896.jpg

Last edited:
I still can't believe that I was ironically seated next to you at dinner last night! And then, running into you both this morning at that Albergue! It was great walking with you and your daughter. And hoping I see you both on the camino tomorrow.... Knowing the camino, I'm sure it will happen! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We loved doin' the walk with you Carrie! I still laugh (?) [laaaaf] (!) the camino really provides! I recently saw your text about the train aswell!
There is some kind of power that is taking care of us!
The albergue is great by the way! Very very good! See yah' tomorrow! Cause you will have to tell me about hiking in US!

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406050720.879235.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Up your bum!
Very simply put, 'up your bum' is the ultimate Australian toast. It's not meant literally ('stick it up your ass and rotate', more the opposite, much like the toast: "mud in your eye". Also, it is very important to say it the right way. If you go in 'half assed' with this toast, you'll get strange looks (as an American friend of mine found out, when I recommended him to try it Queensland). Say it with a little confidence and a smile, but don't be aggressive - that's not the right way to go about things in the broad brown land of oz. Most of all - enjoy this toast with a large, cold sparkling amber beverage under the Aussie sky with a good mate.

Hal! That was a really lovely alb!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kat, I am sure, amongst the many other erudite tomes on the journey to Santiago de Compostela, there is room for a "Twatagrino's Guide to the Camino".

Put me down for a copy!

That and Gerard's (stop stalling, digger!) volume will be essential reading.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lovely but I think the one in Leon was nicer.

Gosh now I sound like a right pretentious twat. A twatagrino ;)

Hi Kat -
"A Twatagrino's Guide to the Camino" will be a best seller! Written with that Aussie larrikin humour, it'll be the "must have" Camino book of 2014! Make sure you include all your Forum mates in the acknowledgements!
Question: who are you going to dedicate it to?!!!
Cheers - Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I sometimes find that seeing the Spanish families and friends spending a great time together having a lengthy Sunday lunch together makes me wish I was doing the same. As today is a Sunday I hope that you have some friends around you Kat. Enjoy your day and if you are not in company please remember that you are in our thoughts.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hang in there chilledKat, I was recently traveling in Italy and flew to Spain to walk with my sisters and cousin who had been on the camino for several weeks. One of my sisters suffered terrible blisters and shin pain in the meseta and had to bus forward for rest and healing, my other sister went with her and my cousin plugged through. It was a teary reunion when I met them in Astorga. I was only able to walk with them for 4 days, but what a beautiful time and what admiration I have for them. There is no shame in caring for your body and soul! I pray for your feet and your spirit and your happiness. When I left my sisters and cousin, I had to travel alone back to Madrid, I had to cab to pedrifta do cebreiro and was told the bus to Madrid was full!! The next bus would not get me to the airport in time for my flight back home. A lovely woman who spoke English was on her way to Madrid and offered me a ride. I was very scared and alone and was so comforted by her kindness. I can't imagine that people would say negative things to you, Bless you, I hope you find a way to complete your camino, even if it's not the way you planned
Buen Camino!!

Hi everyone

Well my time in Spain comes to an end in 12 hours where I spend the next 25h30m on three separate flights. Jealous much?! :(

I have done many things in my life but this really takes pride of place. I have been overwhelmed by the support on the forum and also on the Camino. I continue to meet and make new friends. Blessed in so many ways

The feet are recovering but in a lot of pain still as the skin is very new. Some r&r is in order as is a major detox of the gin and tonics!

When I get back home I promise to post again. In fact I started a post before I left about advice pre/post Camino and what you would tell yourself. It seems very apt that I add to that one.

Till then, thanks for being such wonderful pilgrims from behind your phones and computer screens. Your blessings and well wishes got me through a rough stage and now I look back with a sense of respect for my journey as it was. And a new respect for just how amazing our bodies are but we really need to be listening to them and loving them.

Thank you Spain for welcoming me with an enormous hug, for allowing me to feel safe shedding my tears on your soil. Despite you frustrating me on many occasions, I have fallen madly and deeply in love with you
Xox ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406622917.818000.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well Kat it certainly has been an adventure. Not the one you initially thought, but in the end one that has brought you a lot of love and new friends. Unfortunately you will arrive home to a Melbourne winter day - a lot cooler than Santiago or Madrid. As Jenny will have advised if you are in Sydney come to our meeting. I don't expect you to be at next Saturdays, but maybe the Oct one might fit. Cheers and very special Buen Camino.

I'm/We are soooo glad, that we met you Kat! We really enjoy our stay in Santiago, but miss you! Tomorrow we go by buss to Lisbon/Portugal, that makes it a little bit easier... I will hope and pray that we might meet eachother in Leon, having breakfast again! But this time... Celebrating that the meseta went really well! Biiiiig hugs!

A quick hi from Dubai airport. Not wanting to brag BUT by some miracle I got upgraded to Business Class on the Emirates flight from Madrid to Dubai. Cattle class again for the rest of the trip however it was fabulous.

And here's a special photo for you all :)
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406694571.821041.jpg

My wounded feet had so much leg room :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A quick hi from Dubai airport. Not wanting to brag BUT by some miracle I got upgraded to Business Class on the Emirates flight from Madrid to Dubai. Cattle class again for the rest of the trip however it was fabulous.

And here's a special photo for you all :)
View attachment 11978

My wounded feet had so much leg room :)

Miracles! But now the test - the return to albergues class

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone

Well my time in Spain comes to an end in 12 hours where I spend the next 25h30m on three separate flights. Jealous much?! :(

I have done many things in my life but this really takes pride of place. I have been overwhelmed by the support on the forum and also on the Camino. I continue to meet and make new friends. Blessed in so many ways

The feet are recovering but in a lot of pain still as the skin is very new. Some r&r is in order as is a major detox of the gin and tonics!

When I get back home I promise to post again. In fact I started a post before I left about advice pre/post Camino and what you would tell yourself. It seems very apt that I add to that one.

Till then, thanks for being such wonderful pilgrims from behind your phones and computer screens. Your blessings and well wishes got me through a rough stage and now I look back with a sense of respect for my journey as it was. And a new respect for just how amazing our bodies are but we really need to be listening to them and loving them.

Thank you Spain for welcoming me with an enormous hug, for allowing me to feel safe shedding my tears on your soil. Despite you frustrating me on many occasions, I have fallen madly and deeply in love with you
Xox View attachment 11931
Maybe we are the lucky one Kat when we fall on hard times we see only the best in people on the Camino and feel the kindness of the Spanish people whose hearts are as big as the land and soft as abed at the end of the day. I am 4 weeks away from going back not to finish or complete my Camino but to continue. With all the joy I know there is I will spend many tears remembering the journey last year and the drinks I had with my friends but I am excited about meeting new friends. you will be Kat as your Camino has only started.
Love and Peace Trevor

What goes up must come down....by does it have to come down so fast?!?

First flight of the day. Fab business class
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406710669.411115.jpg

Second flight of the day. Dubai airport. Economy. 2.5 hours sitting in the plane and then disembarking to wait to go on another plane. Over 4 hour delay so far and look what we got to eat and drink ?! Warm Pepsi and cake so dry it is on par with my feet

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406710761.509133.jpg

My business class counterparts are probably quaffing champers and oysters somewhere. Damn that earlier upgrade!!

Ah the joys of the Camino!! :D

Beautiful sentiments btw Trevor

What goes up must come down....by does it have to come down so fast?!?

First flight of the day. Fab business class
View attachment 11997

Second flight of the day. Dubai airport. Economy. 2.5 hours sitting in the plane and then disembarking to wait to go on another plane. Over 4 hour delay so far and look what we got to eat and drink ?! Warm Pepsi and cake so dry it is on par with my feet

View attachment 11998

My business class counterparts are probably quaffing champers and oysters somewhere. Damn that earlier upgrade!!

Ah the joys of the Camino!! :D

Beautiful sentiments btw Trevor
As I fly out my daughter is off to Germany for a wedding and 4 week party over Europe and by chance we are on the same flight t o Paris so I can have a drinking buddy getting there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Kat,
Loved meeting you!DSCN0364.JPG
You asked a question about the music in the "sports" video none of us could remember. I wracked my brain all night long; but as they say the Camino provides because the next morning at mass I turned my head to the right and a guy was wearing a embroidered "Carmina Burana" t-shirt. Totally weird.
I hope you have recovered and found a great place to finish your trip.
See you next year!

So I guess we are reaching the end of the Katfeet Channel series
Not just yet Al. I will do a few more just to keep you smiling :)

I got to say ..... In my jet lagged incoherent gobbledygook state that I loved reading over these posts. They mark a huge moment in my life which was filled with physical pain, sadness and upset but some pretty hilarious moments and laughs!

I am thinking of putting a little video together ..... Could be the jet lag talking

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406841755.086176.jpg
Well, it aint the same without you! Not even one little "zip"! And it isn't Parador in Leon... It's Lissabon... Though, the breakfast is great!
But, SKĂ…L to your lovely upgrade! Because you worth it!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kat, the camino is as much a journey of the mind and spirit as a physical journey, you have experienced more in your 'short' physical camino than I have in my 3 uneventful ones, you have taken the slings and arrows of those with uncharitable attitudes and come out the far side a person with a true understanding of the duality of human nature and are a better and stronger person as a result.
I'm a strong believer in 'paying it forward', trying to do a small good turn for someone each day on the camino even if it's as little as returning my plate and coffee cup to the serving bar in a cafe to save a little effort for those who will work far harder each day serving our needs than I have probably worked in my life so when I inadvertently act in less than a true pilgrim spirit the balance scales may still be slightly in my favour.
I wish you a full recovery from your injuries and hope you will be able to return to the camino in the not too distant future and perhaps experience a more enjoyable if less 'interesting' one.

Best wishes

Seamus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back