• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So I'm just gonna say it...names/photos without permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Every six months or so it seems someone (with obviously only the best of intentions) posts that someone needs help, is lost etc.. etc...

I see nothing wrong with posting such threads BUT I see something very wrong with posting someones picture and their last name in such threads.

These people are not giving permission for us to do such things and I would be furious if someone did this with my name and any picture they wanted to post. It would be so unfair to go zen and walk the Camino only to have this wonderful experience expose your name and picture for every future employer and contact to see...

This really should not be allowed...and I think their picture and name needs to be removed from the thread...

...just saying...
I have sent this to the mods but posting here so we can all think about this some before we go doing this...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my case I cannot imagine friends or relatives reporting me lost, whether I had checked in with them or not. However, if somebody is likely in need of help from the point of view of friends and family, what good does it do to post a missing persons thread without give the person's name or picture? I suggest that if you have jumpy friends and relatives, you let them know before your trip that you do not intend to be checking in with them frequently and you do not want them posting missing person threads.

How would you find a missing person if you don't have their name and a picture of them? That's not much to go off of, I'm sure the local authorities would need that information before they can even begin to start looking for them.
A lot of resources were used in locating this person, Irish media, Gardai, Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, French Consulate, French Gendarmerie, and the Spanish Guardia Civil.
It's fine to go zen while on the Camino, but first make a travel plan with pertinent information and leave it with family and or friends back home, make some prior arrangements to those you leave behind at home if you want to be contacted or not, it is unfair to them if you don't.

Here is a travel plan form to fill out to leave with those you leave behind.
https://www.adventuresmart.ca/images/NSS_AdventureSmart-Brochure_TP_En-c.pdf

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In my case I cannot imagine friends or relatives reporting me lost, whether I had checked in with them or not. However, if somebody is likely in need of help from the point of view of friends and family, what good does it do to post a missing persons thread without give the person's name or picture? I suggest that if you have jumpy friends and relatives, you let them know before your trip that you do not intend to be checking in with them frequently and you do not want them posting missing person threads.
My family told me to get lost:(

My family told me to get lost:(
Oh poor you MickMac. Oh well. Just go walkabout on one of those long trails called the camino and get lost with all the rest of us pilgrims. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Actually the embarrassment of the poor man is tickling me considerably.

I must be bad!

It is like being a teenager, social media are infantilising us all. I am just glad it is a recent phenomena and my mum didn't see my orange and blue hair in the seventies. I would have been cut out of the will.

All the photos and text were from a public Facebook page, so there was no privacy or copyright problem.

The Forum holds pity parties all the time for ill- prepared pilgrims who fail. One more never hurts!

The "zen" on the original post seems to be lost as well.... ;). Sorry, but I have only seen pictures posted that have been ALREADY publicly distributed by relatives and ASKED to disseminate in a plea and hope to get some info. I see absolutely nothing wrong, would encourage people to continue doing so. If the people who got lost mind, THEY are the ones who should complain about it. Doubt they would, though....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The "zen" on the original post seems to be lost as well.... ;). Sorry, but I have only seen pictures posted that have been ALREADY publicly distributed by relatives and ASKED to disseminate in a plea and hope to get some info. I see absolutely nothing wrong, would encourage people to continue doing so. If the people who got lost mind, THEY are the ones who should complain about it. Doubt they would, though....

I agree with this. Besides, if the poor lost soul has a problem with the postings, they can always contact the mods and have the thread scrubbed of photos and name.

I met several people on the Camino in May/June who said they intended to NOT have ANY contact with people back home but were going to wander the Camino all summer. Everyone who said that was a woman.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It seemed like members on APOC page got somewhat wrapped up in the missing person situation. And then when good news came through it was like this huge hug fest going on with each other. I also felt it was somewhat out of place to inject themselves into the situation on social media 3000 miles away.

It was really the last I could take, I left the group.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It seemed like members on APOC page....... It was really the last I could take, I left the group.

I lasted a week as a member of that group/page :p. My "bye-bye" point was when everybody got super-excited for this $50 rain coat in electric blue from this fancy outlet. Everybody had to have it, it seemed. When I cheered on about my $6 poncho from Walt-Mart and got frozen out I knew it was time to leave this crowd behind.....;).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It seemed like members on APOC page got somewhat wrapped up in the missing person situation. And then when good news came through it was like this huge hug fest going on with each other. I also felt it was somewhat out of place to inject themselves into the situation on social media 3000 miles away.

I got into a heated exchange by aunt of the missing pilgrim on the APOC page, I sure wasn't a part of the huge hug fest going on, I explained how numerous resources were used for someone who didn't need it. Like I said before, there are family and friends at home when you go on the Camino that are concerned about you, make arrangements with them before you leave, if you don't want to be contacted, schedule some form of occasional contact if wanted or needed.

I have tried to delete all the photos I could find and remove his name where possible, if I have missed any please tell me. There is one attachment where I have asked the poster to remove the photo as I cannot do it myself.
Every Irish news media posted his photo why delete this ????

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
American Pilgrims on the Camino FB page, I got into in it with the "temporary missing" pilgrim's aunt.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Somehow I don't feel comfortable trashing another Camino website on this one. The APOC people have built a community that suits their needs. If some of us find it is not to our tastes, we don't have to hang out there.

Camino online communities do seem to suffer from a bit of overheating when stressful things are going on. I think it is a mix of nostalgic longing, fellow-feeling, compassionate spirits, and Too Much Information... Former pilgrims feel great brotherhood with those on the road. They feel like the camino is a part of them now, and they want to take part, even vicariously. Those who have not walked are often in the "fascination stage," soaking up all the camino lore they can...This makes for an audience with its heart wide open, dying for the next update.
And sometimes, people with Ego Needs step into that vacuum and put on various dramatic performances. It is an internet phenomenon worthy of further study!
When a pilgrim goes missing or an accident or crime occurs on the trail, there is a well-established network that carries the news fast and effectively from place to place along the trail. I believe it predates the internet by many years. I do not think a "Pilgrim Phone Home" appeal needs to become international news, but tell that to the kind hearts who enjoy a little "camino flutter" in the comfort of rural New Zealand or urban Idaho!

I beat you out the door by 3 months.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All the photos and text were from a public Facebook page, so there was no privacy or copyright problem.

The Forum holds pity parties all the time for ill- prepared pilgrims who fail. One more never hurts!

No one suggested this had anything to do with "copy right"...and I do not think this forum "all the time" post pics of pilgrims and their last name ...
and honestly I don't think it matters if there are a million facebook users posting his picture with a plea to help him...I assume they are not pilgrims (maybe I am wrong)...
Maybe it is just me...but I feel like there is an appreciation that we pilgrims share together , an understanding of sorts , an understanding that a pilgrim might not be wanting to be found for a few days or the whole 5 weeks. I'm not the least bit suprised that there are hundreds of facebook pages with a "lost" pilgrim's name and picture...BUT we are pilgrims...and I think the last thing we should do is post pictures of some pilgrim who we are pretty certain is not lost and certainly should not print someones last name without THEIR permission.

It is much more than a FB group.
APOC is an internationally affiliated Camino group.
http://www.americanpilgrims.com/
Lots of great people, lots of good information and support.

I agree that it's a great Camino group that provide a great service to Pilgrims.
Their FB page, not so much, I dropped myself from their FB page today.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back