• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Historical novels based on the Camino?

omi1

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to SDC (2014)
Porto to SDC (2015)
Astorga to SDC(2017)
SJPdeP toBurgos (Oct 2018)
Does anyone know of any good historical novels about the Camino? I have read my fill of modern pilgrim's experiences and would like to find some alternative camino-related literature.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know of any good historical novels about the Camino? I have read my fill of modern pilgrim's experiences and would like to find some alternative camino-related literature.
o_O

I second that. Love a good historical novel. I'd even entertain a Steven King novel :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:)"The Moorish Whore," by Rebekah Scott
I loved the Moorish Whore. Bought it as a Nook book and wish I had purchased it in hardback. I enjoy looking at my favorites sitting in my bookshelf. Its just not the same with a Nook. More stories please, Rebekah.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Canterbury Tales is about a pilgrimage ending in Canterbury rather than Santiago, but it is a wonderful description of a cast of characters from all walks of life in medieval England all headed on a journey together, each with his own tale to tell. The issues they are dealing with are relevant to today's world.

The Man of La Mancha... Does not end in Santiago I don't think (I don't know I havena read it and it's coming with me) but it's about a quest in Spain. Can't go wrong with reading Cervantes while in Spain. Oh I'm also bringing some Dumas.

Alejo Carpentier, one of the maestros of magic realism, wrote "El Camino de Santiago" (title badly translated as "The highroad of Saint James", published apparently by Knopf, 1970). It is more "a long short story" than a book. Not your "motivational" kind of reading; it is more in the tradition of Spanish picaresque. But the portrait of XVI century Europe is very enjoyable, and Carpentier's baroque prose is really magnificent.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pazos de Ulloa is not about the Camino, but it's a great read, takes place right outside of Palas de Rei and offers an outstanding description of Santiago in the XIX century.

"Shadow of the Wind" is not about the Camino but set in Barcelona after the Civil War. I couldn't put it down. The author is Carlos Ruis Zafron. There is always Hemingway, too - "The Sun Also Rises" mentions Burguete, which is on the Camino.

There are a few movies that may be up your alley - not about the Camino but historical fiction set in Spain - Pan's Labyrinth (beautiful, Guillermo del Toro's Oscar-winning, historical adventure, violence warning) and Vacas (Julio Medem's epic masterpiece about two Basque families through three generations from the late 19th century).

Pan's Labyrinth: http://www.panslabyrinth.com/
Vacas: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005RY9Z/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:
You guys warm the cockles of my heart.
There's a book called "The Ramsay Scallop" you might enjoy, set on the camino. It is classified as "young adult" fiction, but it's a nice read.
If you can read Spanish, there are many potboilers and even sci-fi novels set on the medieval camino, of varied quality. (This is why I am going ahead and getting MW translated into Spanish. She can stand up to any of that stuff!)
But if you want truth that is better than fiction, get hold of a copy of Jonathan Sumption's "The Age of Pilgrimage." It is not narrative fiction, but it almost is... nonfiction writing at its best, very easy to read, and packed with fascinating information.

Hiking in the Valley of Silence gave me an idea. It is not any more particularly camino-y than Moorish Whore was, just the setting is along The Way. Maybe I will get on with it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah yes, we cannot forget! Tracy Saunders (she of Little Fox House) wrote two books on the deep past behind the Santiago legend, she reaches clear back to Priscillian, an early Christian "heretic" bishop who some say is the real person buried in the cathedral. The latest, "St. James' Rooster," is about the powerful bishop who really put Santiago on the map.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was about to suggest Iacobus by Matilde Asensi, with the caveat that it was not available in English but had been translated from Spanish to both French and German. Just pausing a moment to check on other languages, I discovered that it has finally just become available in English, albeit for Kindle only.

It takes a while to get going but if you enjoy Dan Brown or Templar mystery /quest books, you'll probably enjoy this novel set in the early decades of the 1300s, partly in France, partly along the Camino Francés.

Be careful if you order it - the name is the same across various different language editions. Check that you have the English version before confirming your order.

"Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett

'The Pillars of the Earth' is highly recommended! Although it is set in England, it gives a real insight into the building of the Gothic cathedrals, such as those at Burgos and LeĂłn. Although I missed it when it was broadcast, there's also an awarding British TV mini-series adaptation. Also called 'The Pillars of the Earth', it was released in 201.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one I read years and years ago (bought it at a bookstore in Madrid) was "El Peregrino" by Jesus Torbado. It was a fantastic read based on a French pilgrim walking the Camino during the Middle Ages. Some of the best characters are based in Sahagun. The historical references and the "saucy" undertone made this book very enjoyable. I would think it would be translated to English by now, then again, it may not... :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm currently reading In the Name of the Rose. It's not about the Camino per se, and it's set in a Benedictine Abbey in Northern Italy ... but it paints a vivid picture of life (and murder) inside a 14th century monastery. And the Camino seems to pass by many of these. It definitely helps me to picture what these places were like when they were at their prime.

'Guernica' by Dave Boling describes the Basque ethos extremely well in the context of the events surrounding the 1937 bombing. Although historical fiction many of the characters are real. This is one of the most memorable books about Spain I have read.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could try my own novel The Path by Malcolm McKay. It is the story of a group of international travellers of all ages, all professions, all religious denominations (and none). They include a British ex-army captain, a beautiful Danish businesswoman, a manic Austrian architect, A Welsh painter, a driven American priest and a comic mother and daughter duo from Canada. The thirty-five day walk is tough and demanding, They relate intellectually, spiritually and sexually, as they search for their own deep and personal truths which are not always what they expect - or want - to find.

The climax is a terrible and shocking death which changes their view of themselves forever as they arrive in the holy city.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...
My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.