• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australian pilgrim routes

vicrev

Hi All......I have been doing some research for quite a while about pilgrim routes in Oz,the only ones I can come up with are the Chinese Gold Trail from Robe S.A. to Bendigo/Ballarat Vic.(which I intend doing in the next 12 months or so ) & there was a mooted Mary McKillop pilgrim trail in W.A. I don't know if it actually got past the planning stage...........Our history goes back thousands of years to the Dreamtime(said with respect to our indigenous people)I know things were handed down verbally ,as nothing was written,but,is anything known?.......Even our early European explorers,are there pilgrim trails concerning them?........Input would be greatly appreciated,as I intend to try & get something going as far as pilgrim trails in Oz..............thanks.......:).........keep smiling....... Vicrev

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@vicrev - I know of two walks that are in the nature of Christian pilgrimage:
  1. Camino Salvado run by an organization based in Subiaco, in Perth who conduct two walks in early spring from Subiaco to New Norcia.
  2. St Clements Pilgrimage Walk from Yass to Galong. It appears to have the Catholic Archbishop of Canberra and Goulburn as its patron, but it also gets promoted by the local Heart Foundation team as well as some of the other walking organizations locally here in Canberra.
I recall seeing something about one of the Cape York Indigenous communities developing a longer walk through country, but I cannot find anything on the web about how that has progressed.

Regards,

I would have thought the Mary McKillop trail would be in SA, not WA. There was talk of doing something in the south east, but not sure how far it has got. On the indigenous trails I had a long chat with a retired Uniting Church Minister who had had extensive discussions with both the UCA and the elders from the lands re setting up some sort of pilgrimage trail through the lands. As far as I am aware nothing else has been done.

There is also the WA Camino path - but I think that might be having difficulties due to accommodation, busy roads etc.

Many would regard the Bibblmum and the Larapinta trails as a pilgrimage along with the Heusen Trail. Then of course slightly offshore there is The Kakoda Track.

Janet

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes Janet,I know about Bibbmlum,Larapinta & other tourist tracks in Oz, & Kakoda which is arguably the most well known pilgrimage for Australians........I am more interested in our Indigenous tracks , very,very,little info about them,but I will press on...........thanks for your reply........:).............Vicrev

There's a good bit of desert to wander across - that would take a while;-)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The Camino Salvado goes from Perth to the monastery town of New Norcia in WA. This monastery and town was established by Spanish monks and the trail follows the route taken by Bishop Salvado when he went from New Norcia to Perth and back in the early days of colonial settlement in WA.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Camino Salvado goes from Perth to the monastery town of New Norcia in WA. This monastery and town was established by Spanish monks and the trail follows the route taken by Bishop Salvado when he went from New Norcia to Perth and back in the early days of colonial settlement in WA.
I understand that other than the overnight stops used, little is actually known about the actual route used by Bishop Salvado. The year I walked Camino Salvado, modern roads and available tracks were used that followed what might have the general line of the route he used.

So Doug, It was the line of the least resistance between points A to B ?.....I can't find any info on an actual or existing track,maybe I'm looking in the wrong places ???......I'll just keep trying...........:)....Vicrev

From the Camino Salvado website:

The trail follows the Swan river up to Walyunga National Park, which would have been very familiar to the eyes of Dom Salvado: but from there, we follow the road that winds through the Chittering Valley to Bindoon. The pioneering Monks would have continued along the Avon river towards Toodyay and then up via what is now Old Plains road to follow the accessible watering holes: but this would take current walkers an extra day, and at this stage accommodation is hard to source in those sparsely populated areas.

It seems that the section through the Chittering Valley does not follow the original route at all, which means that only the start and end sections are likely to be close to the original trail.

The other observation about the route that I walked was that there were several steep sections which anyone moving supplies by dray or cart would most likely have avoided if possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This reply made me grin Rachel - there is certainly a LOT of Desert to wander through in Australia.

But my word - just like the Meseta - it is a very beautiful place, especially after a rain, when the wildflowers are in bloom! Red is the. Colour - red soil, re flowers (the Sturt Dessert Pea), and the flaming sky at sunset.

Last edited:
Hi All......I have been doing some research for quite a while about pilgrim routes in Oz,the only ones I can come up with are the Chinese Gold Trail from Robe S.A. to Bendigo/Ballarat Vic.(which I intend doing in the next 12 months or so ) & there was a mooted Mary McKillop pilgrim trail in W.A. I don't know if it actually got past the planning stage...........Our history goes back thousands of years to the Dreamtime(said with respect to our indigenous people)I know things were handed down verbally ,as nothing was written,but,is anything known?.......Even our early European explorers,are there pilgrim trails concerning them?........Input would be greatly appreciated,as I intend to try & get something going as far as pilgrim trails in Oz..............thanks.......:).........keep smiling....... Vicrev
The Camino Salvado began back in 2010 and travels between Subiaco in central Perth, to New Norica - the Benedictine Monastery town in the country. It was inspired by the works and travels of Bishop Rosendo Salvado who founded New Norcia and who's Bi-Centennary it is this year. Following the success of the first and subsequent walks we decided to create a permanent trail which we call the Pilgrim Trail and which has been refined over the past 4 years. ThePilgrim Trail runs for 201 kilometers and over a quarter of it is through State forest and 20 kms follows the Swan river - it's a very special experience. To find out more about it look at our Webpage http://pilgrimtrail.com.au/ and feel free to add your comments on our site too. Buon Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back