• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Is finding accommodation on the Camino Frances, becoming too stressful?

Love your post farmer john, also Roberts comments.

I think the more this is repeated, the better, and hope those sentiments are what are discussed between the newbies, rather than the negative /panic spreaders.
So bottom line, kick back, enjoy the walk, get off the stress merry-go-round. Go back and read farmer johns comments!
Annie
+1 it's the same crap in life the sheep doing the same:rolleyes: love your thoughts --panic spreaders god they would turn you off doing anything :eek:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think there is a natural nervousness and some trepidation from Pilgrims preparing for their first Camino. Speaking as a Newbie myself...

I find that my planning has gone through stages.

1. Initial excitement about the whole idea.
  2. Wanting to find out as much as possible. Forums, videos...
  3. Having lots of question pop up in my head. What if? What if? After all, I'll be on the other side of the World, and if I take the wrong gear or do the wrong preparation!
  4. Then starting to chill a bit more as I read advice and stories from 'those who have gone before'
  5. And now, actually starting to stress a lot less. Hey, what's the worst that can happen? If there is no bed, we'll jump on a bus or grab a taxi and go to where there is a bed...
So hopefully you have not all lulled me into a false sense of security :eek:

I think there is a natural nervousness and some trepidation from Pilgrims preparing for their first Camino. Speaking as a Newbie myself...

[/LIST]
So hopefully you have not all lulled me into a false sense of security :eek:
Hey robo,
Don't get me wrong, I understand the trepidation to an 'unknown ' and wanting to be ready for it! Been there too.
Just wanted to ease the stress with assurance . No-one has given an iron clad guarantee for each night. There are stacks of alternatives to the 'set' places. Be game to ask the locals. You be one of those in the conversations you'll have that are spreading/looking for , the positives You'll enjoy yourself much more.
Buen camino everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kudos to you, b-don! I was 66 and found that fact to be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. If my plans and dreams come true, I'll be 70 when I return with one or more of my grandchildren. And if I keep my promises to all of them, I'll be 84 when the last of them comes of "Camino Age" :) I can only hope!

Many of us "can only hope" Farmer John! Mine now at 75 is to walk to eternity.

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Meredith

Erin, I love your attitude and hope I get to meet you sometime in June. I start from SJPdP on the 6th and I suspect you will probably pass me during the second week. One word of advice, you might actually have to walk for an hour before that first cup of coffee in the morning, you will find that most café bars do not open until 9 and rarely will you find anything being served in the morning at the place you spent the night.
Robert is totally correct about pilgrims who have planned there route down to the millisecond, some days it rains and one finds the going slow after carrying an extra few pounds of mud on their boots for hours on end and then other days it is so glorious one never wants to stop walking.
Thanks, Don. I will be on the lookout for ya!

Well, I'm 17 days into "my" Camino and not stressing about accommodation anymore! :) I have stayed in every kind of accommodation available and to be honest, never had a sleepless or uncomfortable night. I think one's "confidence/trust" goes stronger the more one gets into one's journey. Sometimes, I've booked ahead and sometimes not, once, I even had a whole dorm of ten bunks and entire bathroom to myself, all for €6, and the sweetest lady running it!

So I guess, I'm learning that in life, "you may not always end up where you want to be, but you always end up where you were meant to be"!

Bueno Camino!

Well, I'm 17 days into "my" Camino and not stressing about accommodation anymore! :) I have stayed in every kind of accommodation available and to be honest, never had a sleepless or uncomfortable night. I think one's "confidence/trust" goes stronger the more one gets into one's journey. Sometimes, I've booked ahead and sometimes not, once, I even had a whole dorm of ten bunks and entire bathroom to myself, all for €6, and the sweetest lady running it!

So I guess, I'm learning that in life, "you may not always end up where you want to be, but you always end up where you were meant to be"!

Bueno Camino!
Excellent, which was the location where you enjoyed use of the whole dorm? I leave next week and any info is valuable.
Have a great time.
Regards

I'm in Pamplona now and will take a few days of rest along side others who met on the way. We're finding it best to email ahead for a place to stay. All in all the Camino seems to provide. Why rush and ruin the experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am currently spending the night in Villamayor de Monjardin, I stressed all of yesterday about finding a bed in Estella and now everyone is stressing about finding a bed somewhere tomorrow. This is not in keeping with the idea of being a true pilgrim, taking time to enjoy the journey and trusting that one will find a bed.
Panic is setting amongst the Pilgrims, here and my room mates are all leaving here at 5:30am tomorrow morning and already asleep at 7.30pm!! This is ridiculous!!! I want to trust in this spirit of this journey, as I am walking all the way from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, but I am finding it difficult amongst so much panic and negativity, caused by "long weekend pilgrims!" Anyone one out there offering any advice?

Do not stress out^^. Trust that the Camino will provide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Barber 1586. I have two books about the Camino. I didn´t think I needed Brierleys. As I just read what you write I may need it , to avoid the places it recommends me to stop : ). Do you know where I can buy it? I live in Norway, so it must be internet somewhere. Thank you in advance.

Hello Barber 1586. I have two books about the Camino. I didn´t think I needed Brierleys. As I just read what you write I may need it , to avoid the places it recommends me to stop : ). Do you know where I can buy it? I live in Norway, so it must be internet somewhere. Thank you in advance.

If you have 2 books already, no need to buy a 3rd;) You can probably borrow one whilst underway, as many English speaking pilgrims use the Brierley book (it does have good maps, a nice schematic of ascent/descent - a spiritual section that tend to split people into "nay" or "yay". There are however 2 versions of the book available, a map only version, and one with the "extras")

The Brierley book is mainly popular with those that have English as 1st language, French and German speaking Pilgrims have books available that has different "stages" (Don't know Spanish guides, hence no comment on those).
Those of us from a different language background tend to rely on a mixture of guides. This forum is mainly in English, so those books receive a greater emphasis

"Bottlenecks" tend to be cities like Pamplona, Burgos and Leon - aiming to stay just before or after sorts that out... Getting in to Pamplona, you can almost tell what language people's guides are in as they make beelines for different albergues. Likewise Sarria, where many people start tends to be busy, so does places that are 20km after Sarria, if you aim for 10 or 30km after Sarria, it's likely to be less busy. It also helps if you do not reach Sarria at the beginning of a (long)weekend, when those short of time are likely to start their 3-5 day walk to Santiago.

I like the French Miam Miam Dodo guide. As long as you're not after spiritual enlightenment, which it does not offer, I think it's an awesome guide, and one of the main reasons why I like it so much is that it does not prescribe a stage, it just informs you about the options available within 5km of the route, then it leaves it up to you to decide how far you walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We'll I have been reading all the posts about finding a bed,we leave on the 23rd May and have decided upon reflection to stay in Hotels and Auberges,have booked up in advance,we just want to walk without worrying about anything except enjoying the company views and experience.We will be carrying Rucksacks so will share the pain.

hello bokormen ! Point taken! I will bring the small book from Norway and buy the list of alberges when I arrive SJPP. Thank you!

I so agree with you! I refuse to stress over a bed. I will be making my journey may 21 from Leon. ibuen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Question for thecalling and jeniffer. Did any who wanted a bed not find a bed? Not asking if they didn't get "the" bed they wanted. Rather asking if everyone found a place to rest their head for the night. I'm walking in June for a 3rd time and like my previous pilgrimages refuse to let others stress negatively effect my outlook on life. Just for reference, in 2012 I walked the CF from SJPP to Santiago, mid-May to Mid-June and never once had to sleep outside. Last year walking the CP in April from Lisbon I wish I had company. Truly an inward journey. I'm actually excited about the possibility to entertain the masses on the CF this year. The next 32 days can't pass fast enough.
I met a number of people who couldn't find a bed in Hornillos del Camino in April. Some showed up at San Bol on Palm Sunday when I was staying there having had to travel 5.8km further than planned. The others I met further along at Sahagun. They said had taken a taxi to Hontanas to find beds because the albergues in Hornillos del Camino were full.

I met a number of people who couldn't find a bed in Hornillos del Camino in April. Some showed up at San Bol on Palm Sunday when I was staying there having had to travel 5.8km further than planned. The others I met further along at Sahagun. They said had taken a taxi to Hontanas to find beds because the albergues in Hornillos del Camino were full.
It depends on the holidays. A three day or four day weekend will bring lots of locals out of the woodwork if the weather is favorable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started the camino April 4 its know May something lol......I have been walking for 45 days and have approx. 68 km to go. I have never had problems with places to sleep, we tend not to do point A to B in guide. We follow our feet, they well let us know when its time to start and finish. So far my feet and heart have guided me just find and the camino takes very good care of you. Just remember to take good care of it. As I once read on this forum....Leave only your footprints, take only pictures and kill nothing but time. Everyone Buen Camino enjoy, life is so perfect here.

Thank you for saying this! I am a natural early riser and don't want people to hate me. I probably will be a slow walker for all my early rising . I might start a thread asking for advice for early risers. NOT for competition, but just because I wake early and lying around is a kind of torture... I am fully awake. Some of us are just natural early risers. I have been since I was a child.
Count me in on that - I am a natural early riser due to my work (get up at 4:30 each morning and in bed by 9:00). I am not going to be in a competitive mode at all and sure do not want to feel self-conscious because I love an early morning walk. Thanks for understanding! I am so excited and nervous now! I will be in SJPP June 4th! Yay! Buen Camino everyone!

I am currently spending the night in Villamayor de Monjardin, I stressed all of yesterday about finding a bed in Estella and now everyone is stressing about finding a bed somewhere tomorrow. This is not in keeping with the idea of being a true pilgrim, taking time to enjoy the journey and trusting that one will find a bed.
Panic is setting amongst the Pilgrims, here and my room mates are all leaving here at 5:30am tomorrow morning and already asleep at 7.30pm!! This is ridiculous!!! I want to trust in this spirit of this journey, as I am walking all the way from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, but I am finding it difficult amongst so much panic and negativity, caused by "long weekend pilgrims!" Anyone one out there offering any advice?
You are lucky to get into Monjardin when i arrived at 2.30pm both hostels were full and we headed on to the next town a mere 12.5 kms but were asked if we would like a taxi well that would have defeated the purpose of the walk for us as it is a pilgrimage and set off for Los Arcos arriving three hours later at 5.30pm completing a total journey that day of 43.5kms lucky we got a bed. I would agree with you and had a name for people leaving at 5.30 and walking for 6hrs to get to the next alberque as bed chasers but dont get disheartened you are over the worst of it and hostels are starting to become a bit more frequent and closer together. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You are lucky to get into Monjardin when i arrived at 2.30pm both hostels were full and we headed on to the next town a mere 12.5 kms but were asked if we would like a taxi well that would have defeated the purpose of the walk for us as it is a pilgrimage and set off for Los Arcos arriving three hours later at 5.30pm completing a total journey that day of 43.5kms lucky we got a bed. I would agree with you and had a name for people leaving at 5.30 and walking for 6hrs to get to the next alberque as bed chasers but dont get disheartened you are over the worst of it and hostels are starting to become a bit more frequent and closer together. Buen Camino
Dear Cathal Ferris, please read this thread on early risers. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ly-risers-dont-hate-us-we-cant-help-it.26175/
To label someone bed chasers because they get up early to walk, and walk a short distance, is unfair and fosters bad feelings. I will be one of these people because I am an early riser and a slow walker. We don't need to add rancor to the frustration of finding accomodation, which seems to be an issue this year.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Dear Cathal Ferris, please read this thread on early risers. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ly-risers-dont-hate-us-we-cant-help-it.26175/
To label someone bed chasers because they get up early to walk, and walk a short distance, is unfair and fosters bad feelings. I will be one of these people because I am an early riser and a slow walker. We don't need to add rancor to the frustration of finding accomodation, which seems to be an issue this year.
Hey Suzanne
It is what it is i got up early myself and usually stopped at about 3.30pm after completing 35/40 Kms. The wording of bed chasers didnt come from me i am just repeating what others are saying which is a fact and at the end of the day injured walkers people who are physically challenged who indeed were in youre position had to do the same thing as you so not to add rancor as i only had one day were i didnt get a bed. But the people and the bed chasers especially around Mt Jardin were there arent enough beds and i saw an elderly couple lying in the church grounds bedded down for the night who were eventually taken in by the local priest. Another word i picked up from a couple of Germans, and i repeat was perigrinos hoping buses from town to town called them bus hoppers again i am not applying this to others reading but pardon the pun if the shoe fits only you will know its your camino i wont tell

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Count me in on that - I am a natural early riser due to my work (get up at 4:30 each morning and in bed by 9:00). I am not going to be in a competitive mode at all and sure do not want to feel self-conscious because I love an early morning walk. Thanks for understanding! I am so excited and nervous now! I will be in SJPP June 4th! Yay! Buen Camino everyone!
I'm a natural late-to-bed lady due to my job, which involves starting late afternoon and returning home after midnight. I did find I had to modify my hours somewhat on the Camino. I never thought to stay up til 2am and ask for understanding! The early risers are in the majority, and of course have every right to enjoy their early morning walks. If us 'owls' grumble at a pre-dawn awakening, though, please understand us too!

€60,-
I will be walking the Camino in September and October. It would be disappointing to get there and find that most people are just treating it as a foot race to the next bed each day. That's certainly not what I am doing this for. The challenge for me will be making sure I don't get swept up in the anxieties of others, as I have always been a worrier by nature. One of the main reasons I am walking the Camino is to confront the more fearful parts of my nature, and I am determined not to give in to them. It is good to read the encouraging things that Camino veterans have said in this thread about being able to find somewhere each night, so thank you all for that. The confidence boost is most welcome.

It would be disappointing to get there and find that most people are just treating it as a foot race to the next bed each day.
Don't let what other people are doing have much of an effect on YOUR camino. If a bed is their priority, then it is their priority, not yours. Since you have zero ability to control what they want to do, focus your energy on things you can control. Buen camino. :)

I will be walking the Camino in September and October. It would be disappointing to get there and find that most people are just treating it as a foot race to the next bed each day. That's certainly not what I am doing this for. The challenge for me will be making sure I don't get swept up in the anxieties of others, as I have always been a worrier by nature.

I have to say I share similar fears for our 'first Camino'. Just another reason why we probably won't use Albergues very much.

Before I walked last fall, I read somewhere from someone on this forum words of wisdom that stuck with me and made sense once there.
"The concerns you may have before you go will probably turn out to be nothing. The challenges you end up facing may take you by surprise"

Hi everyone it sounds difficult to get accommodation along the way, is it really that bad, it is putting me off doing the walk as I am 64
Please, to all who have yet to walk the Camino but fear it may be beyond them, consider this: whatever horror stories you may hear, whatever difficulties you fear, whatever people tell you about why you won't be able to do it - remember that everyone on this forum who has walked once has either walked again or wants to walk again. And we're not all gluttons for punishment. We like to recount the challenges we've faced; but if we can do it, you can too!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And each private albergue has it's own system of reserving. Some only book ahead a certain number of their beds, leaving some for walk-ins. Some will book in entirety and others only book their private rooms and no bunks.

For me and speaking from my experiences from walking sections from 2011 to 2013.
I have always started close to 6 and made it my business to stop at 1-2.
I have never had a problem finding a bed, whether it be an end stage or a mid-stage town.
All my caminos have been in May / June.

David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The joys found in each day are:
watching the sunrise,
running into friends from the day(s) before,
having your first cup of cafe con leche,
the buen caminos to your camino family all day long,
conversations over a cold cerveza and tapas with old and new friends,
finding a bed,
getting out of your muddy, sweaty, stinky gear and taking a "warm" shower,
laundry maybe optional,
a short nap,
menu del dia with some old and new friends,
more conversation and drink with your friend as the sun sets in the west.
There is no stress in that routine.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't let what other people are doing have much of an effect on YOUR camino. If a bed is their priority, then it is their priority, not yours. Since you have zero ability to control what they want to do, focus your energy on things you can control. Buen camino. :)
Nice grounding bit of advice there. Thanks!

For me and speaking from my experiences from walking sections from 2011 to 2013.
I have always started close to 6 and made it my business to stop at 1-2.
I have never had a problem finding a bed, whether it be an end stage or a mid-stage town.
All my caminos have been in May / June.

David
Reassuring!

watching the sunrise,
finding a bed,
laundry maybe optional,
a short nap,
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I feel more relaxed already. I'll be enjoying it soon...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I thought of this too. If you can get or borrow a Brierly, the front cover has a fold out map which shows the stages. You could just make a copy of this to know what his stages are.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
watching the sunrise,
finding a bed,
laundry maybe optional,
a short nap,
I am also June/July on the CF and hope to share that brew, and the Larger Brew, some day, with you

I'm with the crowd that believe if there is stress because of a perceived lack of beds, you are the one choosing to be stressed. Other people may "race" but who cares? There will be a bed for you too. I was only turned away from one albergue so that night we stayed in a nice B&B 200 meters further on. Big deal. Most likely, the people you think are racing are just trying to avoid the heat. You assigned the wrong label to them. Alternatively, they want to watch the sunrise from the trail. Or they want to arrive in time for a pilgrim lunch. Or they are just normal early risers. Who cares? Getting stressed about what you think they are up to is a bad choice for you to make.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know I will worry about getting a bed as I am a natural stresser. I am fortunate to be able to set this period of time aside and take 5 weeks if necessary. I want to be able to take my time stop and smell the roses and visit the sites along The Way. This is the first time in my life I have been able to do something for me and I am so looking forward to the space to find some inner peace again. If I am worried about needing to arrive early to get a bed I might have to compromise too much and so I have decided where possible to book a bed in advance. I am a fast walker so will still be up early but I am a slow visitor of sites!!! Didn't want to book in advance when I first started planning but the very fact that I click on this thread so often proves I am stressing too much about the bed! Each to his or her own I suppose!!

No, no, no!! It simply is not difficult at all. Please do not let this talk discourage you, specially when it seems that the overwhelming impression is that getting lodging along the Camino (even in the busiest months) is not difficult at all.

The main issue seems to be, as so well described by Farmer John, that people get caught up in Brierley's "cookie cutter" Camino and on bed specifications (lower bunk, window to the right, bathrooms no farther than 6 feet away...;)) and consequently it develops into the "Run to the Beds" you start to see after noon time. I stay in hostels mostly, so I take my sweet time, go into as many churches, towns, and monuments as I want to. Last Camino (October 2013) I even took some time to help an elderly man in a small village do some yard work. He had been asking passerby pilgrims for some help to lift a couple of buckets of dirt, but it appears they could not understand him. I speak Spanish so I helped him as best I could; an unplanned and delightful stop.

One of the biggest truths about the Camino is that it always provides. Let it be.
Hi I start my journey beginning of July. You mention hostels and I like the idea of them. I am prepared to pay a bit more. Do I need to join anything or perhaps there is a website you can suggest. Many thanks, Tom

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Tom-- Even in Medieval times, the Church often encorauged and expected those doing the Camino who had the means to pay for accomodations and helped in this way compensate for those who could not. There is no group to join nor protocol to follow when it comes to personal pilgrimage. You start walking as who you are and rest assured the Camino will soon tell you who you need to be. Where you sleep at night may at the end have very little to do with anything....

I have attached a pdf file converted from an EXCEL file (display at 100%) to see a comprehensive list of lodging all along the Camino Frances. Hope it is useful to you. The first time I stepped on the Camino Frances was in 1997 (Leon to Santiago) and it was miles before you saw another pilgrim. Fast forward to 2014 and the Camino has gotten so popular that during the summer months it is strongly advised to secure lodging in advance, specifically the last 100 Kms. I have done sections of the Camino every year since 2011 and have learned to stay away on May, Sept-Oct are the best months. Just a thought. Buen Camino!!

Attachments

• Camino Frances Private Accommodations.pdf
    424.4 KB · Views: 65
Every time I have had an issue is when I did the suggested stop we too are doing the in between stops and finding rooms

Just finished and am sitting in Santiago. It is a competition for beds along the trail. People on bikes get to albergues fast and most albergues are taking reservations now. Walkers without a phone or bike have to hunt for a bed. We always found a bed but sometimes walked two hours more than planned. Lot of people quit walking as soon as the albergues open just to ensure they get a bed. Did not expect so much visible competition from fellow penguins.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I walked the CF in Sept 2012, i got up at 5 for one reason, get the bulk of milage in before the heat. I used the guidebook, but either pulled up 5 k short or longer to avoid the crowd at the albergues.

Peak season hey, it is only going to get worse in the years to come. Maybe the municipals can look at three storey bunk beds? My friend is leaving at 5 am to get ahead of the crowd.

I prefer to walk end of winter into spring. I would never hike in summer, for me hot sweaty weather, heavy backpack and nowhere to sleep is just not fun. Peak season they probably increase food prices.

Hello!
I just completed the Camino Frances and would like to share my thoughts related to this topic. I am one of the Peregrinos who would be up very early. I always tried to be considerate, knowing that not all Peregrinos awoke as early as I did. I would actually plan my exit the night before so that I could leave as quickly and as quietly as possible.
The reasons for my early starts? 1. I was just following what my body was telling me to do, meaning I would naturally wake up early, and lying in bed for another hour or more would be fruitless. 2. I have more energy early in the morning...
3. Waking and starting early was an adventure and part of my Camino! Picking my way through the darkness with my headlamp, watching the sun rise and sharing that with the few Peregrinos who arose as early as I did...
Those are just a few of the reasons I started my days early.

Also some people would ask why I walk so fast. Well, I didn't think I was walking so fast. There were others who walked faster that I did. It never occurred to me to think they were "racing for a bed". I just thought they walked fast.

And I assure you I myself didn't start early or walk fast to race for a bed.

Not a lecture. Just cautioning about assumptions.

I did the headlamp early morning thing and i lost things, left things behind. I just wanted to turn the light on. By the end of it I had slowed right down and was the last one out of the albergue.

Most of the German and French guide books use the same basic stages as Brierley.
That is actually what causes the problem....they are all advising the same overnight stops.

Brierley alone would not cause the problem to be as large as it is.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

OK. What's the worst that can happen? There is no room at the inn. That's neither good nor bad. Should that happen, stay open. You cannot imagine what amazing thing might occur. You're on the Camino!

Erin and Suzanne!
I and my doughter starts from Pamplona June 23rd! Look for this two ladies! This is on our way to the arcipelago just outside Stockholm, Sweden

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403374946.014739.jpg

I love your fist aid kit! Next time I will bring a perfect red cross camino kit. It will cost me getting prescriptions. But seriously why does a determatoligist have to prescribe hydrazole we just buy that over the counter.

You can never pack enough augmentin/ its penicillin. I went through two packs. The next pillow you sleep on in the albeurge could have rhinovirus on it. Just remember a couple of drops of tea tree oil under the nostrils creates a ....... Force field within the surface of the naso pharyngeal regions.

May the lord watch over and bless your journey as he did mine, may the swedish cardinal deliver your pilgrims mass when you arrive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too am an early riser, did the Frances from Saint Jean in 26 days because this suited my pace and enjoyment of walking, not because I worried about bunk counts!!

I was always considerate of others and would pre pack the night before.

Remember the Camino is made up of all sorts, as is life. For every nervous early riser there is some one who books their accommodation and has a company carry their bag.

Please don't judge one and not the other.

There is room for everyone, focus on your own goals and rejoice in the camaraderie of the Camino.

Buen camino to all

I tend to gravitate away from negativity, it messes with my zen ;)
If those around you are not conducive to your positive development and/or experience, I'd suggest finding like-minded souls to be around... or just enjoy your own company.

I start my first Camino in two weeks but I am genuinely looking forward to the uncertainty of not knowing where I will rest at the end of each day, I anticipate starting and ending my daily journey when I feel like it or when it feels right...

I'll decide how fast or slow and how far I want to walk, how early or late I'd like to rise or stop walking for the day...
I'll enjoy the whole experience of the Camino and if I meet people along the way who are negative or panicky or forceful with their ideas/views, I'll thank them but tell them politely and nicely that it's not how I want to experience my Camino.
And if I meet people rushing for beds... as tired as I may be, I pray for strength and peace to give up my bed (if I have one to give away that is) so they can hopefully understand goodwill and pay it forward.

I sssooo anticipate finding hidden gems along the way, exploring smaller towns where many may not venture (I suppose in my humble opinion).
I think places like these are the best part of a persons adventures.

Oooohhh I can't wait! I don't even own a guidebook! I'll take each day as it comes and what will be, will be :)

It's your Camino after all, enjoy it the way you want to and not according to someone else's idea of how you should.

Buen Camino :)

Marie

Thanks Marie - and to all other like-minded pilgrims. My camino is slated to start in mid-September. And although aware of the temptations of getting tied up with the "bed racers," I am hoping to be strong enough to not be swept up in the tide of panic and peer pressure...to be strong enough to walk MY own camino. Maybe I have just discovered one of the "whys" of this journey. Wish me luck!

I haven't found a problem getting a bed. I do start around 630 and use private Albergues. I only booked at O'Cebreiro. I see folk walking in late afternoon and wondering why they can't get a bed. Also many pilgrims are booking ahead.

We live in the age of anxiety. If it's not anxiety about a bed, it's anxiety about something else. Unfortunately it can be contagious. Because others are acting irrationally, it's important not to let that become you. It all works out, and the unknowns often produce the best experiences for me.

AND this is the exact reason I travel…people at home think I do "scarrrry " things because I travel alone … sheeesh.. I don't want to get infected by the negative thinking of others ...

In my mind isn't that what the Camino is all about … shows people something about themselves ???….

I have always travelled alone because I dont want to get affected by other people's thinking… the test for me on the Camino will possibly be not being able to get away from people :)……. I have already had someone at home WHO HAS NEVER BEEN TO CAMINO tell me what it will be like and what I will have to do… I keep my plan to myself now .

I have never had a bed problem on the Camino Frances. There is more accommodation available now than there was 5 years ago. However you may have to be flexible about where you will stay. The municipal albergues tend to fill up first because they are cheap. If you can afford hostals then you can book ahead.
Thanks AJ, this is good to know!

Hola!

I'm in Astorga today headed toward Rabonal. I have had no problems finding a nice place to sleep. I'm using municipal, private, and an occasional hotel when I need a hot bath. I do get up early, but only because I am very slow. I wake early to beat the heat - not other peregrinos. I usually stay between the Brierly guidebook places. It seems that so many folks use his guide as a daily planner. I don't. And it brings me much peace in under appreciated places. Think small and receive plenty.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never had problems finding a place. I don't race for a bed, i just walk fast 'cause thats my pace :) I never leave first in the morning, but i always arrive as one of the first :)

Although on some days i did walk early, started in the dark, simply because i did not want to walk o whole day again in the blistering sun, so lots of people start walking early for this reason also and it has nothing to do with racing.

All the other people i walked, had dinner and lunch with always arrived much later then i did and they also found a bed without problems.
I walked from beginning of sept 2013. It was a pretty busy month to walk, but that still did not matter, bedwise.

Let the racers race, I just stepped aside as they hurried past. What worked for me was leaving early (because I like to walk at sunrise and liked the solitude of the early morning) and stopping relatively early. That allowed for laundry, showering, and a nice rest. I also made late lunch my main meal and just snacked in the evening.

Let the racers race, I just stepped aside as they hurried past. What worked for me was leaving early (because I like to walk at sunrise and liked the solitude of the early morning) and stopping relatively early. That allowed for laundry, showering, and a nice rest. I also made late lunch my main meal and just snacked in the evening.

Exactly my frame of mind. I made it my business to stop early.
I've never had any problems with finding a bed and never had the need to book ahead. (I'm a later May walker)

I just finished camino, and never once booked a room ahead. I was not an early riser, often not leaving until 8 or 9 and not arriving until 3 or 4 and I still got a bed in each place. Between Santiago and sarria, there is definitely a lot of pilgrims, but the cities on the brierley guide have adjusted to the traffic and made more albergues/beds. Most places will put "completo/full" on the outside of the door which makes it easier to pass it by on to the next albergue. Buen camino.

Do what pilgrims have done for a thousand years: ask God to take care of you. You´re a pilgrim, after all -- divine providence is one of the free benefits that come with the package. (But you gotta ask. And you have to accept what shows up!)
This is exactly my sentiment. Mobile/smart phones,guide books,stages facilitating self,self ,self all missing the point of the true meaning of pilgrimage and instead making it what we want instead of what it was meant to be, an exercise in faith.
It is written that one cannot serve two masters and it is true to say that there is a price to pay for serving either,so perhaps wisdom is to be found in serving one faithfully.

I just finished camino, and never once booked a room ahead. I was not an early riser, often not leaving until 8 or 9 and not arriving until 3 or 4 and I still got a bed in each place. Between Santiago and sarria, there is definitely a lot of pilgrims, but the cities on the brierley guide have adjusted to the traffic and made more albergues/beds. Most places will put "completo/full" on the outside of the door which makes it easier to pass it by on to the next albergue. Buen camino.
Ty for your post you just answered my question and granted me much peace.

J
Ty for your post you just answered my question and granted me much peace.

Just an FYI for people just starting out. Larrasoaña is closed until Sep 7.

Zubiri is totally full and I've heard some people had to go on to Pamplona. Book ahead if you can

Finished my camino on 31 Aug. Although I camped a number of nights there wouldn’t have been a problem if I had wanted a bed (I was a late arriver, ususlly after 6pm). Lots of empty beds in Sarria (Tuesday night) and Arzua. Due to a miscalculation I arrived in Triacastela at 8.30pm and found the first 2 albergues I tried full but I was offered a private room which I took. If I had had my heart set on staying in a tiny, highly rated, albergue in the middle of nowhere then I would probably have been disappointed but no problems with the main stages.

There were lots of pilgrims on the route but I tended to adjust my pace to let people pass so I could walk quietly. I thought the camino was busier around Puente la Reina when I did phase 1 of my camino in early June.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back