• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mailing wooden walking staffs

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I've seen that some other people were able to put their staffs in a tube. I have wooden walking staffs that are probably about 1.5 m long. Any advice about getting these back home?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was with another pilgrim at Santiago airport in May '13; she was heading home to Quebec, Canada. The agent at the airport put a tag on her wooden staff, as is, and sent it along as checked baggage. Whether it arrived at her destination, I do not know.

I would suggest wrapping them well with bubble wrap then plastic wrap or paper and checking with the Post Office. If they won't take them then try a courrier service. It should be possible.
Or as Charleen says try putting them as checked luggage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Where is home? I wrapped mine up in bubble wrap, newspaper and plastic bags and checked it in as a second piece of luggage. No issues with customs upon my return to Australia.

If you're flying a transatlantic flight, you're usually allowed one check in up to 23kg/50lbs, wrap it up and attach it to your checked bag.

Where is home? I wrapped mine up in bubble wrap, newspaper and plastic bags and checked it in as a second piece of luggage. No issues with customs upon my return to Australia.
I am flying with Korean Air on a ticket that only allows one piece of checked luggage. A second piece will cost $148. I will check my backpack in inside a travel bag and I am going to try putting the walking staff in there as well - it will poke out the end, and will be longer than their dimension restrictions allow, but it will be well inside the weight restrictions so I am hopeful they will let it go through.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My dear, beloved walking stick never made it home after I was forced to check it. I called American Airlines a few weeks before I flew home and spoke to a very nice person. I explained my situation about being a pilgrim and I knew it was silly to be attached to a piece of wood, but I really wanted it back home with me. The person advised me to just take it on the plane and had it to the flight attendant and it could easily be stored in a closet in the cabin. Well, it didn't work out that way. I had to check it in Paris. It did arrive in Dallas, but that was the last time I saw it.

Next time, I'm shipping it back, either via mail or UPS or something.

My dear, beloved walking stick never made it home after I was forced to check it. I called American Airlines a few weeks before I flew home and spoke to a very nice person. I explained my situation about being a pilgrim and I knew it was silly to be attached to a piece of wood, but I really wanted it back home with me. The person advised me to just take it on the plane and had it to the flight attendant and it could easily be stored in a closet in the cabin. Well, it didn't work out that way. I had to check it in Paris. It did arrive in Dallas, but that was the last time I saw it.....
Sorry to hear that. It must be very disappointing for you.

I ended up wrapping the sticks in bubble wrap, surrounding it with packing tape, and then paid to have it plastic-wrapped at the airport. They arrived safe and sound at home, no problem. Thanks, wayfarer, for the suggestion!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Personally I wouldn't bother with the bubblewrap.
I tried to destroy my stick on purpose on my first Camino, during a meltdown on the Meseta.
I hit a big boulder about a dozen times as hard as I could, trying to break the stick.
All I hurt was my hands!
I finally threw the damned thing out into the desert!

I think they're pretty much indestructible.

I'd just put a tag on it and put it through baggage.

Sorry to hear that. It must be very disappointing for you.

Indeed. If you haven't noticed some of my other posts, my walking stick became more than just another piece of gear. It was a real companion on those lonely stretches of the path and saved me from injury on many occasions.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.