• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why are you walking so slow, or did you train for this?

GerryDel

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, July 2014
I was asked both of these questions while walking the Camino and had to come up with an answer to satisfy the person's curiosity. Both questions were asked with the implication that I had not trained enough. One person even told me I was walking like an old man, which I was, but I didn't want to hear it.

First, we need to realize that people's physical issues aren't always readily apparent from the outside. While I and others look perfectly healthy on the outside, we may have things going on that the asker is not aware of. In my case, I have fought a lifelong battle with a genetic disorder called Heterotaxy and another related order known as PCD, both of these affect my heart and lungs and make it very difficult for me to catch a breath, especially on the long uphill portions of the Camino. In addition, I have other physical defects such as having one leg shorter than the other and have to wear a special shoe to make up for the difference in length. This causes my right leg to take a beating. The fact that I'm walking these types of distances at all is an accomplishment.

The simple answer would have been to say, "because my heart and lungs work differently than yours". I seriously considered saying it, but held off and just said that my training was on flat land, thereby saving the person asking some embarrassment. In truth, there's no way I could ever train to be as efficient as other walkers, even if I walked 20 miles uphill every day. My heart and lungs offer diminishing returns as time goes by and are working at peak capacity for me.

Next time you're walking with someone who seems rather slow or who seems to be taking it way easy, keep this in mind, especially if you don't know them. They may have something going on that you aren't aware of.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, GerryDel,

Congratulations on having completed your camino, and congratulations on having put up with the jerks who were so rude. Although we like to think that we pilgrims are somehow a special, more wonderful breed of humans, the truth is that we are just a subset of the larger whole, and with that comes the same range of personalities. Unfortunately there's no pre-camino screening, ;), so some of the same jerks you see in your daily life will wind up on the camino, too. In my experience, though, the jerks are fewer and further between on the camino than in the "real world."

I think you were gracious beyond belief, and I'm not so sure I would have been so careful to say something that would save the questioner from his/her well-deserved embarrassment. And I also hope you met up with lots of pilgrims whose warmth and friendship offset the impact of the rude and insensitive comments. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I am proud of the accomplishment. My son was the most graceful. I know he wanted to say something in his and my defense. He had to endure my endless miles of slow walking, yet never said a word in complaint. We did meet some good people along the way. Even the people who asked weren't bad, they just aren't aware of what's going on. It probably never occurred to them that I could possibly have any health issues. Yet it is something to keep in mind for those walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gerry--are you & son the guys from Arkansas hiking in June? If so, you did good as you always caught up to us!

I heard the same thing, suffering from a knee injury. It's nobody else's place to question or judge YOUR camino. I commend you for making it, and what's more, sticking it out through the hardships.
On another note, to the person above me, I am from arkansas! I'd love to know some other Arkansans here now. I made it to santiago this morning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I heard the same thing, suffering from a knee injury. It's nobody else's place to question or judge YOUR camino. I commend you for making it, and what's more, sticking it out through the hardships.
On another note, to the person above me, I am from arkansas! I'd love to know some other Arkansans here now. I made it to santiago this morning.

Congratulations!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was asked both of these questions while walking the Camino and had to come up with an answer to satisfy the person's curiosity. Both questions were asked with the implication that I had not trained enough. One person even told me I was walking like an old man, which I was, but I didn't want to hear it.

First, we need to realize that people's physical issues aren't always readily apparent from the outside. While I and others look perfectly healthy on the outside, we may have things going on that the asker is not aware of. In my case, I have fought a lifelong battle with a genetic disorder called Heterotaxy and another related order known as PCD, both of these affect my heart and lungs and make it very difficult for me to catch a breath, especially on the long uphill portions of the Camino. In addition, I have other physical defects such as having one leg shorter than the other and have to wear a special shoe to make up for the difference in length. This causes my right leg to take a beating. The fact that I'm walking these types of distances at all is an accomplishment.

The simple answer would have been to say, "because my heart and lungs work differently than yours". I seriously considered saying it, but held off and just said that my training was on flat land, thereby saving the person asking some embarrassment. In truth, there's no way I could ever train to be as efficient as other walkers, even if I walked 20 miles uphill every day. My heart and lungs offer diminishing returns as time goes by and are working at peak capacity for me.

Next time you're walking with someone who seems rather slow or who seems to be taking it way easy, keep this in mind, especially if you don't know them. They may have something going on that you aren't aware of.

You know what!! The fact that you even had to consider the question makes me mad.....each person's Camino is theirs and they should not have to explain anything about it - and before I go off pop, I remember what my mother taught me: "If you can't say something nice/polite/friendly - then don't say anything" So, right on mom....nothing more to be said - Just Buen Camino GerryDel :)

You know what!! The fact that you even had to consider the question makes me mad.....each person's Camino is theirs and they should not have to explain anything about it - and before I go off pop, I remember what my mother taught me: "If you can't say something nice/polite/friendly - then don't say anything" So, right on mom....nothing more to be said - Just Buen Camino GerryDel :)

Thanks Jane. Buen Camino.

Thanks Jane. Buen Camino.
wow,people can be so rude !! even if you did not have health issues maybe you were someone that didnt get a chance to get in a lot of training or maybe you were someone that had all the time in the world to stroll the camino its YOUR business what pace you go,also fair play to you for sparing the feelings of the people that felt a need to comment that was a kind thing to do ,not sure i could have resisted the temptation on a bad day to make them squirm.[not nice i know]

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gerry, I wouldn't have bothered too much. On all of my Caminos I have seen "slow" people eventually getting faster to destination than me. How can we define "slow" anyway?
Last year I walked with a small group called "Caracoles" (snails) and one of our participants on crutches outpaced us on various occasions. There is an Italian saying: "chi va piano, va sano e lontano" - he who goes slowly, goes healthily and far away"
Just keep on walking!

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

I sat here thinking of all sorts of great answers to those incredibly rude questions and wondered what clever people might come up with (I just KNOW there would be some great ones!!!)....and then decided to calm down and learn from your graciousness.
You're a great example to us all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It does seem an odd and rather a rude question. I guess you could have just said I'm not walking slow.

It's kind of like the people who speed past you only to be stopped at the same red light.

It's your camino and you completed it. Well done!

Thanks. I don't think I could have said I wasn't walking slow. Nearly everyone passed us. We were slow. But that's okay. We still did what we set out to do.

Gerry, I wouldn't have bothered too much. On all of my Caminos I have seen "slow" people eventually getting faster to destination than me. How can we define "slow" anyway?
Last year I walked with a small group called "Caracoles" (snails) and one of our participants on crutches outpaced us on various occasions. There is an Italian saying: "chi va piano, va sano e lontano" - he who goes slowly, goes healthily and far away"
Just keep on walking!

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Thanks

I sat here thinking of all sorts of great answers to those incredibly rude questions and wondered what clever people might come up with (I just KNOW there would be some great ones!!!)....and then decided to calm down and learn from your graciousness.
You're a great example to us all.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
wow,people can be so rude !! even if you did not have health issues maybe you were someone that didnt get a chance to get in a lot of training or maybe you were someone that had all the time in the world to stroll the camino its YOUR business what pace you go,also fair play to you for sparing the feelings of the people that felt a need to comment that was a kind thing to do ,not sure i could have resisted the temptation on a bad day to make them squirm.[not nice i know]

Thanks

Walking the Camino is not supposed to be a foot race. It's a personal journey walked at ones own pace not the pace dictated by others. It's unfortunate that the French route had become a foot race.
Congrats on doing your Camino at your own pace and for ignoring those who don't understand what the Camino is really all about.

Happy Trails.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess I would just laugh at such a ludicrous question. Of course I might answer, I'd probably shout to the heavens, "Walking slowly? According to whom? Was there a starting gun back there somewhere? Listen up punk:

You think I'm walking slowly? Well maybe you just lowly.

This ain't no race, I'm 'onna get in your face.

I'm taking my time, and that ain't no crime.

'Cause I stop to see and just let things be.

I'll get "there" someday and I'm doin it my way.

You don't like it, you can lump it. Maybe you should get on the road and just thumb it.

There's flowers and towers an' all kind a higher powers.

You wanna mess with dat, it gonna knock you flat.

I’m on a walk, ain’t gonna stand here an’ let you talk.

I know where I’m goin’ but you don’t know where you been.

You’re just a tourist, call yourself a purist?.

That’s right, you gonna see. Follow me and you’ll be set free.
Peace.
If there is a human beat box out there that's wants to walk with me, we could have a real goooood time.

GerryDel -- am impressed with your poise and calm! Bravo! Will remember this next time I'm asked an Ogre-question....!
(i'd might have responded with something like: "oh...this huffing and puffing? you know, the last chap who asked such a silly question I simply had to strangle --- and that's hard work, am surprised to say - putting me a bit out of breath. Apologies for that! next time i might better use a shotgun?!?! what do you think?" --- while trying to keep a straight face!)

curiously enough, this I've read this afternoon in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance" by R.Pirsig:
"...The reality of your own nature should determine the speed.
If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself. ..."

and this is so true universally: "....They may have something going on that you aren't aware of...."
Very Best Wishes to you --- and wellness inside out.

I probably wouldn't have even tried to respond to questions like that and would have forgotten them before I got to the next town.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my walk last year I saw people running, people walking so fast to meet the guide book stages but most of all I saw many people with heads down, my thought was they have seen nothing not stopping to look around or look back and think about where they are or what they have done. Nobody asked me why I was slow or about my gear otherwise they would have been told that the Camino is personal and p### off.
I am going back in 4 weeks and intend to walk slower as I have more to think about more to see and more people to meet.
Beun Camino.

To all those that rush by Beun Camino too.

GerryDel -- am impressed with your poise and calm! Bravo! Will remember this next time I'm asked an Ogre-question....!
(i'd might have responded with something like: "oh...this huffing and puffing? you know, the last chap who asked such a silly question I simply had to strangle --- and that's hard work, am surprised to say - putting me a bit out of breath. Apologies for that! next time i might better use a shotgun?!?! what do you think?" --- while trying to keep a straight face!)

curiously enough, this I've read this afternoon in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance" by R.Pirsig:
"...The reality of your own nature should determine the speed.
If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself. ..."

and this is so true universally: "....They may have something going on that you aren't aware of...."
Very Best Wishes to you --- and wellness inside out.

I love Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Zen & art of Motorcycle Maint. is an answer in Trivia Games---What bestselling book received the most rejection letters from publishers prior to being published? note clarification of "best seller".

Personally I tend to agree with author of INCA Cola that there are only 5 real people and all of the rest are "scenery".

I get the opposite question: Why do you walk so fast. Your not enjoying it like that....Your not supposed to walk so fast.....your not blablabla

Hearing that gets old quickly too. I know its totally different from the OP, but still...why do other people keep on telling me (or anybody else) how I (or they) should enjoy the camino?
They tell me to look at flowers, even smell them. Oh? So thats enjoying it? For everyone? 'Cause we are all the same?o_O

I don't care if you walk slow, fast or doing the camino with a skipping rope.... If thats the way you have to do it or the way you enjoy doing it, so be it. Stop judging anything and everything just because you dont understand it.

GerryDel:

First, I would like to congratulate you on Completing your Camino. We all face different challenges on our Camino's.

I, in general, have found Pilgrims to be better than the general population. I agree with Laurie that the Folks on the Camino reflect the general population but to a lesser extant than daily life. While we have a tendency to talk about some of the more negative actions on the Camino, I feel the positive actions of Pilgrims far outweigh the negative.

Maybe it would have been appropriate for you to answer the question more factually. We all need to grow and learn in life. A more factual answer from you might have taught this individual/s to pause before asking such a question in the future. This could have been a teaching opportunity missed.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
GerryDel:

First, I would like to congratulate you on Completing your Camino. We all face different challenges on our Camino's.

I, in general, have found Pilgrims to be better than the general population. I agree with Laurie that the Folks on the Camino reflect the general population but to a lesser extant than daily life. While we have a tendency to talk about some of the more negative actions on the Camino, I feel the positive actions of Pilgrims far outweigh the negative.

Maybe it would have been appropriate for you to answer the question more factually. We all need to grow and learn in life. A more factual answer from you might have taught this individual/s to pause before asking such a question in the future. This could have been a teaching opportunity missed.

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe, thanks for the congrats. I do consider when/if I should reveal my syndromes to people, but it's very complex and with strangers it's usually a bit more info than they are able to process or deal with. Usually I try to wait until I know someone well before I say anything.

Last edited:
Nobody ever asked me why I was walking slow. There's something about me that makes the answer obvious. Or maybe they had to catch me in those moments when I actually was moving.

No one walked slower then I did. I walked for 50 minutes (slowly) and stopped for 10-15 minutes every hour - .........all.... day.... long.......... At first I just laid down on the side of the camino, however, I soon found out that this caused great alarm to my fellow peregrinos who thought I needed a medic or a priest, I moved to more secluded spaces.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
"No one walked slower then I did."

Now, just a minute there, Mary. That's a big claim. Did you take four (or was it five?) days to get from Ponferrada to Villafranca? Did you? I thought not! I admit you've done very well, but you have to be prepared for double and triple rest days for my sort of achievement. (If people ask why you've been lying in just say you've suffered a bad churro scald.)

I would have done more outside napping but it was too wintry for much of my camino. I recall superb afternoon lolls in the Bearn and Gascony, in those little suntraps you get between hills, nibbling away on sheep cheese and Agen prunes. Of course, I did some walking as well. (Not to be avoided, I suppose.)

Congratulations Gerry! Well done. Spanish people always asked me why I was walking alone. I answered "porque nadie me quiere' (because nobody loves me) with a laugh and they accepted it - saying 'no le creo' (I don't believe you) and waved me on wishing me buen camino.

But it did strike me as an odd question -especially since I got asked so many times. It doesn't sound as critical as the one you got sounds. Sometimes I just think people are curious - rather than critical.

Congrats on finishing your Camino and kudos to you for your tact and patience when dealing with fellow peregrinos who ask stupid questions or make rude comments. I probably would have told them to piss-off, ha ha.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I dragged my sick foot (neuropathy afflicted) behind me for 775 km over six weeks. I can walk at 6 km/hr if I send my pack forward and 4 km/hr if I'm carrying. On the days I can plan on where I am going to stop for the next night I use Jacotrans. My final day into Santiago I was passed by German hiker I'd seen many times before and he asked to me, "Is that all you are carrying today?" Was I supposed to be ashamed because I was walking 20 km (my personal limit for a day) with a day pack? In Santiago I ran into an Irish couple I'd walked with during the final week who I was usually carrying a full backpack with when I walked with them. I related the German's comment to them and Brendan said you should have just said, "up y........."

Gerrydel.... So proud of you! One of the things I learned from my Camino was patience, patience, patience. Before my Camino I would have answered those rude & inconsiderate questions with "what is it to you or none of your blinking business, walk your Camino not mine, who made you the Camino police, etc." and if I were walking now I probably would just have looked at them straight in the eyes then turn around & walk away. Then I will silently pray for them. Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Reading all these different replies and having experienced fellow peregrinos asking me questions on both my Caminos (why are you doing it? Why are you alone? Etc) makes me wonder why would they be interested? I'm just not that curious about someone else's business. I never asked such questions. I noticed the questions mainly came from tourist peregrinos walking the last 100 k. I would only ask such a question to someone I knew well. Not someone I just met. I have to say, the tourist, local peregrinos puzzled me the most. Odd way to do a vacation. Have all your bags hauled ahead and walk with a small pack and stay in crowded albergues. I just don't get it. Anyone that applies to, please enlighten me.....

Reading all these different replies and having experienced fellow peregrinos asking me questions on both my Caminos (why are you doing it? Why are you alone? Etc) makes me wonder why would they be interested? I'm just not that curious about someone else's business. I never asked such questions. I noticed the questions mainly came from tourist peregrinos walking the last 100 k. I would only ask such a question to someone I knew well. Not someone I just met. I have to say, the tourist, local peregrinos puzzled me the most. Odd way to do a vacation. Have all your bags hauled ahead and walk with a small pack and stay in crowded albergues. I just don't get it. Anyone that applies to, please enlighten me.....

The reason many people do what you're calling the tourist pilgrimage is because that's all they have time for, or they are doing it for the compestela. I walked about 120 miles on my camino. I hope to return and finish later. My work only allowed me about 10 walking days, so that was all I did. I did it for the actual pilgrimage. As a Catholic I wanted to do at least one pilgrimage during my life. I also did it to prove I could do a tough physical task despite medical conditions, and to spend some quality time with my son before he goes off to college.

I dragged my sick foot (neuropathy afflicted) behind me for 775 km over six weeks. I can walk at 6 km/hr if I send my pack forward and 4 km/hr if I'm carrying. On the days I can plan on where I am going to stop for the next night I use Jacotrans. My final day into Santiago I was passed by German hiker I'd seen many times before and he asked to me, "Is that all you are carrying today?" Was I supposed to be ashamed because I was walking 20 km (my personal limit for a day) with a day pack? In Santiago I ran into an Irish couple I'd walked with during the final week who I was usually carrying a full backpack with when I walked with them. I related the German's comment to them and Brendan said you should have just said, "up y........."

Congratulations. Amazing accomplishment with that type of physical difficulty.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations Gerry! Well done. Spanish people always asked me why I was walking alone. I answered "porque nadie me quiere' (because nobody loves me) with a laugh and they accepted it - saying 'no le creo' (I don't believe you) and waved me on wishing me buen camino.

But it did strike me as an odd question -especially since I got asked so many times. It doesn't sound as critical as the one you got sounds. Sometimes I just think people are curious - rather than critical.

Thanks. Yes, I agree that it's probably curiosity, although it comes off wrong. I think next time I might try what was suggested earlier and actually fill them in on my syndrome. They will either find it fascinating or they will be freaked out and leave. Either way is good.

Congrats on finishing your Camino and kudos to you for your tact and patience when dealing with fellow peregrinos who ask stupid questions or make rude comments. I probably would have told them to piss-off, ha ha.

Thanks!

Gerrydel.... So proud of you! One of the things I learned from my Camino was patience, patience, patience. Before my Camino I would have answered those rude & inconsiderate questions with "what is it to you or none of your blinking business, walk your Camino not mine, who made you the Camino police, etc." and if I were walking now I probably would just have looked at them straight in the eyes then turn around & walk away. Then I will silently pray for them. Buen Camino!!

Thanks. Prayer is a good option. I need to do that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One of the regrets I had from my 2012 Camino, was I thought I walked it too fast. Im going to try it again in 3 weeks, this time slower and maybe get it right this time! ;)

Buen Camino

"Snake"

Hope you have a good one! Buen Camino

It reminds me of a solo hike I once did on the Continental Divide through Colorado. About 60 miles at 11,000=/- ft average with a few 14ers in the vicinity. Anyway, I would come across these grizzled old outfitters on horseback with a string of mules. The conversation would sound something like this:
"Howdy. Are you alone little lady?"
"Why yes sir I am."
"Really? Do you have a gun?"
"No sir I surely do not."
"Well, do you have a dog?"
"No sir not that either."
"Are you scairt?"
"No, should I be?"
"Well, there all kind a critter out here."
"Yes sir, there surely are. But the ones that scare me most are the 2 legged ones."
"Well, you be careful now y'hear?"
"Yes sir, I surely will. Thank you for your concern. Have a great day."
Nothing ever happened and I set no land speed records.

The reason many people do what you're calling the tourist pilgrimage is because that's all they have time for, or they are doing it for the compestela. I walked about 120 miles on my camino. I hope to return and finish later. My work only allowed me about 10 walking days, so that was all I did. I did it for the actual pilgrimage. As a Catholic I wanted to do at least one pilgrimage during my life. I also did it to prove I could do a tough physical task despite medical conditions, and to spend some quality time with my son before he goes off to college.

I understand Gerry. I was directing the question more towards the Spanish peregrinos doing the last 100k. Sending massive, rolling duffel bags ahead of themselves to the albergues and walking with bags on their back smaller and lighter than the average college student carries on campus daily. I guess that compestela holds a lot of weight in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It has been said elsewhere that for many young Spanish pilgrims they are walking the last 100kms both for the Compostella (religious conviction) and also to add it to their CV (secular). Some have just finished education or are between jobs/out of work. Good for them on walking the pilgrimage, however they are doing it, if this is correct. It is 'their' pilgrimage just as for each of us the distance/route we walk is 'ours'. :)

Hi, GerryDel. Congratulations on your Camino! I don't think we owe others an explanation for why we may be walking slowly. (Isn't it usually due to pain or some other physical issue?!) My preferred response: "I'm walking slowly so that you may have your choice of beds." Equivalent to turning the other cheek. ;)

Hi, GerryDel. Congratulations on your Camino! I don't think we owe others an explanation for why we may be walking slowly. (Isn't it usually due to pain or some other physical issue?!) My preferred response: "I'm walking slowly so that you may have your choice of beds." Equivalent to turning the other cheek. ;)

That's the best reply yet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great that you do the Camino your way. Some people don't know what it means to walk the Camino , so they ask stupid questions . With best regards Peter.

Haven't been asked why I walk soooo slowly but, on my current pilgrimage I've been manhandled onto a bus (actually woman handled and by what appeared to be ex member of the 1974 Olympic East German Women's weightlifting team-I'm rubinesque and yet the old gal just picked me and my pack up and bundled us through the doors of the bus:eek:) and then had the embarrassment of getting off at the next stop (no German, unlike Irish, country bus drivers will not generally let you off where you want) and having to walk back to the original point of my 'pilgrimjacking'. When I've said I'd rather walk kind people have still offered me money for the bus. Of course I always refuse these offers of money but sometimes they offered me kuchen (especially plum and apricot sponge)…… and then my iron resolve occasionally wavered :oops:

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't walked my Camino yet, but I often am asked why I walk so slowly . I have one of those invisible impairments, and I always reply ( because it's true ) " I'm cherishing. "

Argh the Camino has so many lessons for ALL of us . :cool:
I learnt a lot of lessons last year when I had to cancel my Camino before I even left home . BUT it's all good . I still learnt and hope to head off in four weeks. Some people made ill informed comments about my not going . That's ok .
Gerry you have great courage of heart but don't need that verified by us ... You already know it! :)

Hello Gerry, I read your profile it seems we have much in common. I also have a genetic disorder called Spinocerebellar Ataxia, it is a neurological condition. I also have had two heart attacks with i have had 4 stents inserted. So i can try and understand why it has been so hard for you. I do worry about myself walking the Camino de santiago, as i am going to walk it in late 2017. So i have a bit of time to train and save! I just wanted you to know you were not alone on this journey, Take Care.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Gerry, I read your profile it seems we have much in common. I also have a genetic disorder called Spinocerebellar Ataxia, it is a neurological condition. I also have had two heart attacks with i have had 4 stents inserted. So i can try and understand why it has been so hard for you. I do worry about myself walking the Camino de santiago, as i am going to walk it in late 2017. So i have a bit of time to train and save! I just wanted you to know you were not alone on this journey, Take Care.

Pilgrim68, thanks for sharing your info. It's good to know that we are not walking alone. Buen Camino on your journey in 2017.

Even though I'm fairly young and fairly fit, I had a very slow camino - it was bliss. If I wanted to get to Santiago quickly, I would have rented a car. I'm so glad that I scrapped my prove-how-awesome-I-am-doing-it-quickly plan and went for the coffee-every-available-opportunity-yes-please plan and the I-think-I'll-just-walk-to-the-next-town plan. I'm hoping to stretch it out even more the next time...

While I was never asked these particular questions, there were times when people wanted to walk with me,but I knew I would be too slow for them . So, I would tell them, I get up late, walk slow, stop often, and finish early and you are welcome to saunter with me. Invariably, they would say " that's the way to walk the Camino!", and some did walk with me!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I didn't have the problem of people asking me why I was so slow (it was perfectly obvious to anyone that looked at me), but I did overhear comments on a couple of occasions of people who were sure I was going to quit any day. And this was not early in the camino, but past Burgos. I also had a few second hand comments suggesting people couldn't believe I was still walking (and one person said it to me directly).

I would say that these sorts of comments, while they definitely occurred, represented only a tiny portion of the people I met along the way. What can you do, some people don't seem to have a filter that stops them from saying the first thing that pops into their heads.

As I told the younger, fitter pilgrims one night, "You're all like sports cars. You're quick to get from Point A to Point B. Me? I'm a semi. It takes me awhile to get going in the morning. I need to let the engine idle for awhile before I'm ready to go. And I'm not all that fast once I get going. But once I do get going, look the "bleep" out because it's hard to stop!"

Always love comparing between a regular gas- and a diesel engine.
Then my oldest daughter added hybrid engines in the mix a couple of months ago and I was left for words :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back