• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies Only

Jabaldo

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I are training to walk this September 2014
I know this post will be hard to believe for us men but my wife for many years, ask me to post this questions to I would think ladies only. My wife like I am sure many of you out there has fake nails. My wife goes to the nail salon every two weeks to have something done to her now very expensive nails. She is wondering is there nail salons along the Camino where she will be able to have her nail tune up? Yes I know I am being a good husband but she is being a good wife for walking the Camino with me this September. Please don't laugh but I think this is important to her. I don't understand but it is what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know a lot of women do this. I don't, but I did have a pedicure and manicure for my daughters wedding recently. I am taking off my nail polish, as I like to keep my nails short and need to see where the quick of my nail is so I can clip them properly -- especially my toe nails. They need to be keep short and polish free so they don't get too long and push up against the toe of my shoes, make holes in my socks, and so I can see if they are injured in any way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know this post will be hard to believe for us men but my wife for many years, ask me to post this questions to I would think ladies only. My wife like I am sure many of you out there has fake nails. My wife goes to the nail salon every two weeks to have something done to her now very expensive nails. She is wondering is there nail salons along the Camino where she will be able to have her nail tune up? Yes I know I am being a good husband but she is being a good wife for walking the Camino with me this September. Please don't laugh but I think this is important to her. I don't understand but it is what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not laughing, but this is a joke, yes? If not a joke, then there are many "pilgrimage lite" options: stay in posh hotels where there may be a salon; get your luggage with its necessary cosmetic and beauty items transported; miss out "boring" stages so as to have more time for nails, make-up, hair-dos. Seriously! this is a PILGRIMAGE!

As soon as I read this post I felt for you and your wife, as there is bound to be many responses that may be very, I don't know, abrupt. I think the first two responses are excellent and should help. The pilgrim walking with nails now is saying it is best to remove them before leaving as there will be little time (and energy) to attend to them. The second important info. is about pedicures. It is best to be able to see toenails, color, length etc. and keep the skin tough not softened. All questions should be welcome, hope your walk goes well. Buen Camino!

There are, of course, nail and hair salons in all major cities, and I'm sure in some of the smaller towns.
It would be possible to visit at least one a week.
However, it may be very impractical to maintain such things, unless you take the posher options for travel and lodging and baggage transport.
Not a problem in my mind, as wealthy and influential pilgrims have been a large part the Camino for many, many centuries, and have done so with varying degrees of luxury.

The Camino, like life, is about choices. Good luck my friend.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Not sure which Camino you both intend to walk - but here is the observation from the Portuguese: No nail salons when in the countryside; but few in larger cities. And most of them were part of a general hairdresser/beauty salon. Just nail salons as I see them here in California i have not encountered. - In upscale Hotels you would find some salons included in a Hairdresser shop, but those are mostly not visible from the outside. But I would 'investigate' ahead of time for the route you are taking - and find out via the www. which hotels/paradors' /spa's are en route and inquire with them.

the other point is: price. here i pay 18$ for a marvelous & clean pedicure (no colour)- in europe i've seen them advertised for 40Euros and up. gasp.
and even if you find a nail salon, they might not do the 'fake' version of nails in their service. (I am european, never had those, never will and never knew of european women having fake nails. hope that this statement won't be misunderstood, hence a mini-translation = this 'service' is not as known/widespread in europe as in the US)
so, all this to say: you might not having an easy time finding what you like ... but with advanced info/research, you /your wife could get lucky. And if you found it, be prepared for a much higher rate for that service.
best wishes for you both, enjoy - Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm not laughing, but this is a joke, yes? If not a joke, then there are many "pilgrimage lite" options: stay in posh hotels where there may be a salon; get your luggage with its necessary cosmetic and beauty items transported; miss out "boring" stages so as to have more time for nails, make-up, hair-dos. Seriously! this is a PILGRIMAGE!
Let's be kind. Our camino really starts once we make the decision to start walking.
There are places along the way but far and view in between. Should spent a couple days in Leon or Burgos to checkout the sites your wife will be able to have her nails done.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can walk through even the tiniest village and there will be a cafe/bar to refresh ones spirits. There will also be at least two peluqueras, hairdressers. Never wanted to have my nails done on the Camino - always afraid to touch my toenails - if it aint broke don't f sorry don't mess with it, but for nails ask at the beauty salon.

My wife is not high maintenance like some this is one indulgence she has and if I can help her I will. The forum helped she has decided to remove her fake nails and brave it.
Thank you to all who posted

My wife is not high maintenance like some this is one indulgence she has and if I can help her I will. The forum helped she has decided to remove her fake nails and brave it.
She will be able to enjoy having them redone on her return home or even in Santiago :)
Toe nails, I remove any varnish and gently file them daily (at night) and then check them in the morning. no need to clip them if I do this and also no snags/rubbing on my liner socks.
Finger nails I keep fairly short using clippers and a file as I do not want to break them. Like my hair they can grow again after the Camino. (I have short curly hair anyway so a Camino haircut is easy)
Buen Camino to you both

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

God Choice! And good luck! Buen camino

As a woman, I completely understand your wife's concerns. I am an avid hiker, gym rat, and FAR from what might be considered "high-maintenance." While at home, I rarely leave my house without wearing make-up or without using a lot of products to blow dry and straighten my hair. But on the Camino (heading for number 8 this fall) I no longer even carry make-up nor do I carry a bunch of hair products, it's just extra weight and there is little time or energy for using all that stuff. Same with fake nails. Although at home they may be the norm, on the Camino they will most likely be more trouble than she wants to bother with. I do however carry a light weight hair dryer on the Camino---if I don't dry my hair after showering, it's guaranteed I will catch cold, and that 11 ounce hair dryer sure comes in handy to dry clothes, :)

Yes it is a pilgrimage and it is hers. I find your indignation inappropriate.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many moons ago I used to work in a Pharmacy, most of my time was spent dispensing medicines, but I also had to come out to customers in the shop. I had the idea that girls working in Pharmacy/Chemist shops 'ought' to have nice hands and nails. However I liked to spend my weekends mountain climbing and camping/hiking and thought that varnished nails were a bit Ott on those trips.

Monday mornings and with no time to let the varnish dry. I would get my coat on and my bike out to the front garden, the gate open in readiness for my exit, and then and only then I would put on the nail varnish and would go off down the road with my eight fingers sticking out straight hoping that I would not need to pull on the brakes.

Hmmm. I and many others I recall made our pilgrimages carrying specialized clothing, technical gear, iPhones ... some cameras, iPads, etc. I don't recall anyone walking their pilgrimage in sackcloth and leather sandals with their few worldly belongings wrapped in a wool blanket slung over a shoulder.

If the future peregrina wants to make her pilgrimage with fancy nails, then I say good on her.

Blessings on you, Jabaldo, for being the wise and sensitive person you are! Your wife is a fortunate lady! I believe several of the Forum ladies have mentioned the delights of arriving in the bigger cities and getting their hair done or having a manicure and / or pedicure. Sounds like a good idea for a rest day!
Buen Camino to you both!!
Terry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

When you get to Santiago she can get her nails fixed again. I saw at least one place in the big shopping Center that did nails. I was thinking of getting mine fixed there before leaving (never had fakes before) but then I decided to skip it as I would certainly break one of them on my way home on the plane (stuff like that always happens to me).

Have a marvellous camino and a great time in Santiago.

Yes, good idea. I walked one Camino with acrylic nails at the start and it was a pain. They grew out as I walked so looked horrible. I did find a place in Leon to get infills. I would never walk with acrylics again.
I do get my hair done somewhere along the route (for pleasure).

Your posting touched my heart. I, too, have had acrylic nails for almost ten years. Last week, my manicurist cut my nails very short and applied a very thin coat of acrylic with clear nail polish in preparation for my September camino. I will be carrying a nail file in my backpack. For me, this was a better solution, than removing the acrylic entirely, leaving my nails rough, exposed and tender. This was my choice. My nails will slowly grow out naturally.

I suggest that your wife consult with her manicurist for the best solution for her.

I, very much, understand your wife's 'sacrifice'. Small, but real. And if she decides to keep her nails....wishing you,
'Buen Camino!"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think braving it will make the experience so much more exciting. We have only 5 days before we set off

My novia purposely had her nails done prior to walking. She wished she had brought bog plush bath towels and a hair dryer like other women did. Having some pride in how one appears is amazingly effective in making one walk further--all military units stress personal appearance and cleanliness for that reason. Like the Bible says, "It's better to look good than to be good".

Yes it is a pilgrimage and it is hers. I find your indignation inappropriate.
And I yours, because I genuinely thought it was a wind-up. Now I realise it wasn't I apologise. Still think we should keep things simple, though...but real apologies from me. PS what are acrylic nails?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And I yours, because I genuinely thought it was a wind-up. Now I realise it wasn't I apologise. Still think we should keep things simple, though...but real apologies from me. PS what are acrylic nails?
Acrylic nails are overlays over a real nail. They are attached with a strong bond and grow out rather than fall off - with infills being added on a regular basis. Many women wear them for years and years. Hence it is quite a decision to have them removed.

Oh it is a pilgrimage allright! but that does not mean we women have to give up ( for thirty three days or more) those things that make life a little more pleasant to live. I will be bringing a little bottle of perfume on my walk for sure, it makes me feel good, and after the excrement thread in this forum, it will be my personal air freshener :). I'm sure some perigrinas in the past have brought something some might consider luxuries, but hey, it is their Camino and it is them who is carrying their pack, so they can take whatever they like :)

Hey there! I have sent out a message to all my Spanish girlfriends from the Camino asking them if they know of "salons de belleza" along the Camino where she can have the acrylic nails maintained. Perhaps she won't have to remove them after all. I will let you know what I hear!

NOTE: The only responses I received were that there are beauty salons but no one could say for certain how easy it would be to have the maintenance needed by acrylics. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I completely understand the desire to maintain some personal grooming standards. I got my hair colored and a mani-pedi the day before we left on our Camino. There was no way I was going to start with grey roots and raged nails. My fingernails are natural - just got them filed and buffed, took care of the cuticles. My toe nails were red - matched the red poppies along the route almost perfectly :)
I didn't wear makeup on the Camino and I had my natural hair - no blow drying, no straightening - but I didn't want to look totally gone.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

My wife had acrylic nails for some time. Our travels abroad seemed to be more about finding a nail salon to accommodate her acrylic nails (which was usually unsuccessful) than touring the places that we visited. After my first camino, she joined me in Santiago and we went back and did a tour of Portugal, which was particularly frustrating trying to find a nail salon that did acrylics. After I suggested that our future travels should consist of checking into the Holiday Inn just down the street from her local nail salon, she decided to remove her fake nails and go natural. She has not regretted it in the least.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As a rule, what Americans view as a nail salon (and its accompanying services) is vastly different from what Europeans consider a nail salon. And believe me, I loooooove my gel manis and spa pedis. In my travels throughout Europe, every opportunity I've had to get my nails done as been a struggle. Language barrier notwithstanding, the expectations of what each service actually entails varies and don't even get me started on the lack of color choices!

I could write a book on the weird things I've endured in my quest for a gel manicure abroad. Chapter one would be titled "Finding a Place to Get Your Nails Done: Don't fear the subway in Berlin."

Sure, she can get her nails done, but it is not the easy, in-and-out task that we expect here in the U.S. If she wants an experience in foreign beautification, then by all means, have at it. But you may want to gently suggest that she get a really great treatment before you go, and then appreciate the relief it will be to have it done again once she's finished the Camino. The foot massage alone during her hard-earned spa pedicure (which I assure you, does not happen often in European pedicures) will be worth the wait.

One small caution about pedi's!! Be careful! Getting all those lovely callouses removed right before you walk might not be be best of ideas!! They are there for a reason.

Although I normally can't be bothered with getting all that stuff done, I bought a bottle of nail polish in Astorga, along with a fellow pilg! We took turns painting our nails and feeling like "girls" again. But again, a caution...having your toe nails painted might obscure boot damage that could turn into a real issue. By the time I'd gotten to Astorga I knew how my feet were faring and wasn't concerned about losing any toenails. Still have that little bottle of purple nail polish sitting on my dresser and smile everytime I see it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have no idea about anything to do with acrylic nails, but I did notice that Spain is full of beauty shops in the towns and cities, and strongly suspect that your wife would be able to get what she needs there and will make some friends in the process.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back