• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another walk in Yorkshire with a little sunshine and lots of hills and Heather.

Attachments

• 160820141192. 009jpg  Limgering in the scene.jpg
    160820141192. 009jpg Limgering in the scene.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We walked amongst the early spring daffodils and frolicking lambs in an inner city park! Finding arrows in chalk on the ground made it *almost* feel like the start of our last camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My last days training hike before flying out next Wednesday was a nice, demanding 20 km hike in the Wicklow mountains from Drumgoff to Corrigasleggaun and up to Lugnaquillia the highest mountain in Wicklow and back by the Lough Glen and Kelly's Lough.

https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202416405193719

Last edited:
My last days training hike before flying out next Wednesday was a nice, demanding 20 km hike in the Wicklow mountains from Drumgoff to Corrigasleggaun and up to Lugnaquillia the highest mountain in Wicklow and back by the Lough Glen and Kelly's Lough.

https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202416405193719
That's some walk. I hope to do it in 2 weeks time for charity. My first time - so hope I'll be ok and can keep up with everyone else.
Enjoy your Camino.

That's some walk. I hope to do it in 2 weeks time for charity. My first time - so hope I'll be ok and can keep up with everyone else.
Enjoy your Camino.

Aud, I've been up Lugnaquillia by 6 different routes, the 2 easiest are by the Carrawaystick Zig Zags/ Clohernagh on the Glenmalure side and by Camara Hill on the Glen of Imaal side. A lot of climbing whichever way you go but these 2 routes offer firmer ground underfoot than any of the others, PM me if you want any advise but don't leave until Tuesday evening as I'll be packing for my flight to Santiago on Wednesday. ;-)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Today a wonderful 10 km walk through the streets of Vancouver and over the Granville Island Bridge on my way to see the documentary film "Walking The Camino: Six Ways To Santiago". From the bridge a great view of the amazing Biennale mural currently being painted on cement silos by the Brazilian artists "OSGEMEOS", twin brothers Gustavo and Otavio Pandolfo. Really enjoyed "Walking The Camino". A nice surprise, as two of the film's subjects, Wayne and Jack were in attendance. They introduced the film and took questions after. An indication of the high interest in the camino in Vancouver. Almost every screening has sold out and it is returning for additional screenings in September.

Attachments

• OSEMEOS.jpg
    OSEMEOS.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 18
  • OSGEMEOS from bridge.jpg
    OSGEMEOS from bridge.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 17
Today it was the Yorkshire Dales Hebden Ghyll to Grassington circular a nice walk at pilgrim pace, Oh and Sunday lunch in the Black Horse in Grassington with Yorkshire Puddings followed by plumb crumble and custard, nearly went to sleep by a stream on the return journey,a bit like Camino days.;)
Photographs just don't do the scenery justice though!

Attachments

• DSC04045.JPG
    DSC04045.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC04066.JPG
    DSC04066.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Hello folks

Today I walked around Lautrec (as in Henri Toulouse-Lautrec) - I've not been well for a few weeks and this is the first proper walking I've done since it all started. The walk today was steep and not a great path and it was very hot and oh my goodness I was exhausted! I hope I can regain some fitness before we leave in 3 weeks time!

If you look really really closely at the horizon you'll spot the Pyrenees - after today I'm feeling rather scared!

p.s. you can just about make out the mountains on the horizon of the last photo ;)

Attachments

• CF1.jpg
    CF1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 12
  • CF2.jpg
    CF2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 11
  • CF3.jpg
    CF3.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 12
  • CF4.jpg
    CF4.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 12
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yesterday we walked around the Gaillac vineyards... 12 of them. If you look hard enough in the photos you'll see houses/buildings in the far distance as it flattens out... we started in that far distance and did a big circle.

It doesn't look it but it was 28-30 oC and we had virtually no shade all day... so a bit warm for us!

cfa.jpg

cfb.jpg

cfc.jpg

Today was very different... we've moved north a little to the start of the Averyron Gorges. The weather was very different but a nice change to be damp and cool... sadly it makes the rocks very slippery and the climbs up and down from the village very precarious! We walked from down at the bottom of the gorge where there was a river... up to the top where you can see a line of bare rock to the left/middle top of the first photo.

cfd.jpg

cfe.jpg

cff.jpg

cfg.jpg

Attachments

• cfh.jpg
    cfh.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 2
  • cfg.jpg
    cfg.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 1
Today we walked another area of Yorkshire 45 minutes drive from home in Nidderdale one of my favourites areas so peaceful and only few other walkers out on such a beautiful day.

Attachments

• DSC04070.JPG
    DSC04070.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC04080.JPG
    DSC04080.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC04068.JPG
    DSC04068.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are the lucky ones two walks this weekend so today we drove for an hour into Wharfedale the weather was beautiful so was the river walk.

Attachments

• DSC04095.JPG
    DSC04095.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC04090.JPG
    DSC04090.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC04099.JPG
    DSC04099.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 12
I have just had three WONDERFUL days hiking in pristine winter conditions in the central north island of NZ while the rest of the family went snowboarding. The tracks ranged from frozen puddles to mud to scree to boardwalks (sometimes submerged in the bogs) to well-cared-for trails. I even dragged along the Camino Blanket I am making with yarn I purchased in Spain
IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2153.JPG IMG_2170.JPG IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2236.JPG IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2264.JPG IMG_2256.JPG .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We've spent the past 3 days in Nelson, British Columbia on Kootenay Lake, in the Selkirk Mountains. The lake was carved by glaciers and everything is steeply uphill from the waters surface. So I got plenty of hill work in! Twice a day we'd do a 5 km loop, 3 km of it on a leash free dog beach and then we'd climb into "downtown"
.image.jpg

It's great to return from a few days away to see all the new pictures of great walks/hikes. Thanks to all of you for posting. Here are a few pictures from Haida Gwaii (formerly Queen Charlotte Islands) - views from Tow Hill, Spirit Lake Trail, and Golden Spruce Trail.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Today peregrina b and me arrived in Dorset on the South coast of UK we met our son and his girlfriend and all went for a walk down Eype lane chatting about each others camino experiences. We arrived in Bridport for hatters day but saw no white rabbits!!!

Attachments

• DSC04106.JPG
    DSC04106.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC04100.JPG
    DSC04100.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Today peregrina b and me arrived in Dorset on the South coast of UK we met our son and his girlfriend and all went for a walk down Eype lane chatting about each others camino experiences. We arrived in Bridport for hatters day but saw no white rabbits!!!
Climbed Lugnaquilla today for charity. There were around 70 of us. Great day and fabulous weather. Apologies for the quality of the photos. I didn't realise I had a filter on! Silly me!

Today after visiting the Camigos in South Devon yesterday we took a walk on the South West Coast path from Eype to Burton Bradstock on a beautiful sunny day. Here are a couple of pictures of our day on the long distance path.DSC04110.JPG DSC04111.JPG

From my car to my chiropractor's office.
I have a nasty case of post-Camino tendonitis in my ankle.:(

Hopefully with his help and some rest, it will resolve soon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From my car to my chiropractor's office.
I have a nasty case of post-Camino tendonitis in my ankle.:(

Hopefully with his help and some rest, it will resolve soon.

Thats tough Annie it stops all the joy of walking hope you soon recover !:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Normally we take the car to a village near home to take their assembly occasionally. Today we walked to avoid the road closures for the Tour of Britain cycle ride. So complete with rucksacs we arrived at school and sat in the playground to have a drink (having told them we had arrived). Then we walked back home. It made a good morning's walk and good practise as the route is hilly. The only downside is it is all along the side of a road (with pavement) so is not very peaceful. We do prefer the tracks, but if we have a wet winter we may be using it for practise when it is our turn at school.

Attachments

• school.jpg
    school.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 3
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
https://www.facebook.com/supersulli...d=10202524055244903&offset=0&total_comments=2

Brought along a G.P.S. unit with me on my camino from Leon to Finisterre, just back home 1 day, on checking found the Brierley distances to be understated by between 2% to 5% typically, I won't even mention the climbing figures :confused:. The link is a picture I took each day end on arrival at my albergue.
What do you mean, you "won't even mention the climbing figures"? Are they understated too? I love the Brierley guide, so you won't put me off of it. Perhaps Brierley used equipment older than your GPS (I don't know about these things) so the readings might be less accurate? Do tell.

What do you mean, you "won't even mention the climbing figures"? Are they understated too? I love the Brierley guide, so you won't put me off of it. Perhaps Brierley used equipment older than your GPS (I don't know about these things) so the readings might be less accurate? Do tell.

Charleen, best example would be my day from Triacastela to Villacha. Brierley gives a distance of 38.6 kms from the municipal albergue in Triacastela to Villacha a little before Portomarin. I stayed in accommodation a little past the municipal in Triacastela but recorded a G.P.S. distance of 41.47 kms. Brierley gives a total climbing figure of 580 meters from Triacastela to Portomarin via San Xil but as far as Villacha I recorded a climb total of 864 meters and if you allow about an extra 25/40 meters for the climb from the bridge entering Portomarin to the town proper the discrepancy is even larger. I too am a fan of the Brierley guide, I wouldn't travel without it as it is a great help in planning my stages and also meals as I am a diabetic. I would readily accept the distances given in the guide are probably from pre G.P.S. days and but for the fact that I would routinely cover 35+ kms daily, would love to re-measure the camino distances with modern G.P.S. units but this has already been done by another forum member: stratophile.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/new-camino-frances-gps-tracks.86/

Today I walked in the foothills of the Pyranees Orientals. I am in Collioure in the South of France for a three week holiday which we both need. After my escapade last April on the Camino we had a very busy year with visitors, weddings, funerals, births and all the day to day stuff thrown in so this will be a welcome break. The weather is warm, 26 c and humid so it will take a few days to acclimatise. I hope to be "match fit" after this holiday and my goal is to reach Tour Madeloc, 656 mts. (The tower in the far distance in the first photo) I have failed this twice before so it has become a kind of personal challenge. The last time it was very hot and I ran out of water, the time before, in November, I started late and got to within 100 meters but darkness fell and the wind got so bad I had to cling to the scrub at the side of the road. Fingers crossed for this year. I have to add that both those attempts were after thoughts and not planned. It is harvest time here, the grapes are ready and are soon to be picked by hand on the terraces. Its a beautiful time of year and it's great to be alive.
20140914_103018.jpg20140914_103030.jpg20140914_102139.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Today I walked in the foothills of the Pyranees Orientals. I am in Collioure in the South of France for a three week holiday which we both need. After my escapade last April on the Camino we had a very busy year with visitors, weddings, funerals, births and all the day to day stuff thrown in so this will be a welcome break. The weather is warm, 26 c and humid so it will take a few days to acclimatise. I hope to be "match fit" after this holiday and my goal is to reach Tour Madeloc, 656 mts. (The tower in the far distance in the first photo) I have failed this twice before so it has become a kind of personal challenge. The last time it was very hot and I ran out of water, the time before, in November, I started late and got to within 100 meters but darkness fell and the wind got so bad I had to cling to the scrub at the side of the road. Fingers crossed for this year. I have to add that both those attempts were after thoughts and not planned. It is harvest time here, the grapes are ready and are soon to be picked by hand on the terraces. Its a beautiful time of year and it's great to be alive.
View attachment 13577View attachment 13578View attachment 13579

Buen Camino wayfarer, just take it nice and steady not too much of a load on your back and lots of pauses to take in the views then everything is possible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love this thread. You mind if I post some more pictures ? From last sunday.
I live in southern Norway, and have the wildernes across the way, so this is my training area, and I love it :)

The paths are still wet after snow and rain, butt who cares ;)
IMG_1753_zps5d1b16d4.jpg

It looks like there are no path, but the little blue mark on the tree shows the direction. Here is from top
IMG_1757_zpseda3e6b0.jpg

And here is from buttom
IMG_1758_zpsd30a2207.jpg

"Svensheia" - a signalstation for international aviation. You that are from northern America and travels towords Dubai, Tel Aviv, Istanbul, Warsaw, Copenhagen etc, are likely to pass this point. Look down next time, and I will wave ;)
(If I´m not on the Camino)
IMG_1760_zps5dacb295.jpg

A little lake in the middle of the forrest. In this area there are a lot of them.
IMG_1764_zpsd8acacf7.jpg

Some beavers have gone crazy ;)
IMG_1761_zps3ca62ec5.jpg
Gorgeous........I could stare at pics like these all day!

Gorgeous........I could stare at pics like these all day!

Welcome to the forum Gail but as a new member be careful, there is a danger you may well spend all day and night on the forum!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do spend alot of time on here pilgrim b! I am planning my first Camino for May 2015 and cant get enough of this stuff! Question, how many private hostels or pensionnes can I expect to find? Apparently I snore!!! I also am a very light sleeper and wouldn't want to bother the other pilgrims.

Its been a few years since I did that walk Aud, I lived in Bray for ten years and walked the Wicklow hills every chance I got, We used also canoe up to the little beach at the other end of Glendalough at the weekends, lovely and quite with just the odd hiker passing through.
Hi Wayfarer,
Small world!
Enjoy your break in France.
Audrey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do spend alot of time on here pilgrim b! I am planning my first Camino for May 2015 and cant get enough of this stuff! Question, how many private hostels or pensionnes can I expect to find? Apparently I snore!!! I also am a very light sleeper and wouldn't want to bother the other pilgrims.
Hola and welcome. We used private albergues etc, but on the less walked routes and only the end of the Frances after Palas de Rei. If you post in the section for your chosen route you will get plenty of answers, more than if posted just here, as which Camino (?) will make a difference to getting relevent answers.
Buen Camino and happy planning

Sorry Gail only just read your post and how considerate of you , but Tia is quite right with her advice. Scroll through the forum index for the path you wish to walk on and post your question on there. Happy planning ,Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Charleen, best example would be my day from Triacastela to Villacha. Brierley gives a distance of 38.6 kms from the municipal albergue in Triacastela to Villacha a little before Portomarin. I stayed in accommodation a little past the municipal in Triacastela but recorded a G.P.S. distance of 41.47 kms. Brierley gives a total climbing figure of 580 meters from Triacastela to Portomarin via San Xil but as far as Villacha I recorded a climb total of 864 meters and if you allow about an extra 25/40 meters for the climb from the bridge entering Portomarin to the town proper the discrepancy is even larger. I too am a fan of the Brierley guide, I wouldn't travel without it as it is a great help in planning my stages and also meals as I am a diabetic. I would readily accept the distances given in the guide are probably from pre G.P.S. days and but for the fact that I would routinely cover 35+ kms daily, would love to re-measure the camino distances with modern G.P.S. units but this has already been done by another forum member: stratophile.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/new-camino-frances-gps-tracks.86/
Thank you, supersullivan, for taking the time to set this out. These discrepancies do not affect me too much, but I can appreciate that there are others who might be bothered by them. And thank you also for the info re stratophile's site, which I can check out if I need another opinion, or more extensive information.

As to the figures in the Brierley guide - if they are indeed understated - I will be content in thinking that I am working harder than he says I am.:)

A reminder of Galicia today yep light rain that soaks you lets you get almost dry then, yep soaks you again, but that was my walk today! Deep in the Yorkshire Moors.
DSC04139.016. Deep in the Yorkshire Moors..JPG

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You see them everywhere, calling you back. In the hills above Collioure. I am saving my walks in gpx, so if anyone is ever here and wants to walk in the hills just let me know and I will PM them to you.

View attachment 13836

Wayfarer, I really did see a couple of yellow ones today on the moors if I ever needed reminding!

After a weather forcast giving overcast conditions throughout Yorkshire, peregina b and me decided we would take our chances in Nidderdale for our walk. A fortyfive minutes drive away "overcast was it ? " well you decide!:)
DSC04146.JPGDSC04144.JPG

Last edited:
colo1.JPG colo2.JPG colo3.JPG

Silver Dollar Lake, Colorado. We're getting ready for a Nepal trip, so the 12,200 ft elevation seemed like a good idea. The mountain goats were out and the leaves are changing.

Two very different walks.
When the cycle ride led to road closures we walked to the next village to take their assembly and then home - with packs of course :)
A more recent walk was to a nearby village with plenty of hilly walking and a reminder of Camino conditions. The walkway is needed except in the very driest weather. Another metre or so at the near end would have been useful for when it is wet. The old house was also similar to some on the Camino.

Attachments

• school.jpg
    school.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 8
  • causeway.jpg
    causeway.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 10
  • stone cottage.jpg
    stone cottage.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 8
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Then yesterday we visited Dyrham - a National Trust estate near Bath. The deer wander freely through the park. So we walked the far ridge down to the house and had lunch. Wandered round the formal garden and visited the church. Then we walked up the next ridge and along past the old hill fort. A good walk and deer so near that they were easy to photograph.

Attachments

• dyrham.jpg
    dyrham.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 5
  • fallow deer.jpg
    fallow deer.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 5
  • hillfort.jpg
    hillfort.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 5
These are from Mt Gingera, on the ridge line that defines the border of the Australian Capital Territory. Its a longish walk in along fire-trail, but the last kilometre to the summit makes up for that.

P9280001.JPG P9280003.JPG P9280006.JPG

Attachments

• P9280001.JPG
    P9280001.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 9
  • P9280003.JPG
    P9280003.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 8
https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202608285470606
1st decent hill walk today since returning from Spain just over 2 weeks ago, 19 km hike from Glendalough, up the steep side of Camaderry and returned via the upper reaches of Glenealo Valley and the Miner's Village. Link is to a Facebook post with pics of the hike.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The holiday is nearly over and I had some beautiful walks. The ascents and descents are similar to the Napoleon, sometimes a little worse but I had no problems TG. We were very lucky with the weather, it only rained at night. I will have to try and keep this level of fitness up when I get home.
20140924_112904.jpg

The holiday is nearly over and I had some beautiful walks. The ascents and descents are similar to the Napoleon, sometimes a little worse but I had no problems TG. We were very lucky with the weather, it only rained at night. I will have to try and keep this level of fitness up when I get home.
View attachment 14121
That is a great shot Pat and fantastic news the ascent looks tough and you are OK. I take it you stuck to only carrying a light load a very sensible decision! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, a daypack with water, a little snack for breakfast and a spare T Shirt. I used my Keen sandals all the time with no problems, I only used them in the evenings on the Camino but my boots were redundant this trip. Autumn is coming in here now so it is much more comfortable than it was two weeks ago for walking. I am looking forward to going home and seeing my new grandson who was born just before we left and the other grandkids as well. No place like home.

For caminantes in England, I recommend doing the Three Peaks round upper Ribblesdale, near the lovely Settle-Carlisle railway line. I try to do it a couple of weeks before starting a proper camino (hoping to head for the Sureste/Levante on the 20th) on the grounds that if you can do its 38km of fairly rough ground and 5000+ feet of ascent, you're probably ready for (almost) anything St James can throw at you. This is a wikiloc file of the trail as I did it yesterday: http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7914899

For much of the day you are within sight of the amazing Ribblehead viaduct.
IMG_20141001_100747.JPG

As part of my Camino training for September next year, I'm walking and cycling as much as I can.

This morning I walked and cycled from Cronulla, the beachside suburb of Sydney where I live, out to Kurnell, on the shores of Botany Bay; a round trip of around 20 kms.

Kurnell is the birthplace of modern Australia. Captain James Cook landed here on 28 April 1770.

Saint James has small church named for him at Kurnell - another reminder that he is never far from us, wherever we are.

Here are a few photos from my leisurely cycle and amble -

Kurnell 31014.jpg St James Church Kurnell 31014.jpg North Cronulla 31014.jpg

Left:
The small monument on the rocks in the distance commemorates the place where Captain Cook stepped ashore. That's my bike in the foreground - nothing historic about that!
Middle:
St James Anglican Church, Kurnell.
Right:
Taking a breather back at Cronulla to finish my bottle of water and admire the view.

Cheers everyone - Jenny

Its a small world Jenny, my son and his now wife lived in Cronulla for nearly a year when they were in Australia in a house on the beachside and they loved it there.
Hi Pat -
If your son and his wife can remember the address I'll go around and take a photo for them (for old times' sake!). I can put the photo up on the Forum ... after all ... the house will be "where I walked (past) today"! :)
Cheers - Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And today. It is spring, everything is in flower, and my walk was just an ordinary suburban street, but I am so happy. So happy. It is a long way off yet, but we booked our airline flights and will be on Camino in May 2015. I think Camino del Norte and Primitivo. IMG_2389.JPG

@bystander not just the photos, slow wifi, safari keeps freezing - in spite of resetting the network, turning off background apps, etc etc. Not the place for a discussion here, but if I had shares in Apple I'd be worried. But the iPhone still takes great photos for such a handy gadget.

https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202647162202500?ref=notif&notif_t=like

A pleasant 20 km linear walk today in the Wicklow Mountains from near Luggala to Glendalough. Pleasant for me but the main reason for walking today was to meet and offer encouragement to 2 friends, Raymond Cummins and Tom Milligan who are walking the entire 129 km Wicklow Way over 2 days this weekend. The link is to a Facebook album of pictures taken during the day.

More fine photos from you Seamus
Hopefully your friends don't get the predicted rain tomorrow.

Ty D, they'll be setting out from Glenmalure shortly after 6 am so will be well clear of the mountains and past Tinahealy before they're likely to see any rain.

No I'm afraid that we got the rain today in Bilsdale North Yorshire. Still leaving one hill climb and left behind, then another hill with a view, and then a path which made me think is this a dream are peregrina b and me back in spain?
DSC04162.JPGOne hill climb and left behind DSC04169.JPGanother hill with a view DSC04164.JPGIs this a dream are peregrina b and me back in spain?

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202647162202500?ref=notif&notif_t=like

A pleasant 20 km linear walk today in the Wicklow Mountains from near Luggala to Glendalough. Pleasant for me but the main reason for walking today was to meet and offer encouragement to 2 friends, Raymond Cummins and Tom Milligan who are walking the entire 129 km Wicklow Way over 2 days this weekend. The link is to a Facebook album of pictures taken during the day.
Your friends must be superfit. Marley Park to Glenmalure in 1 day! "Normal" people take 3 or 4 days to do that.
Fair play to them. You got great weather for it.

https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202655242804510?ref=notif&notif_t=like

A very early start on Sunday morning to meet up with Raymond and Tom at 8 a.m. near Aughavannagh at which point they already had 2 hours stiff hiking done, walked with them for 15 kms to near Tinahealy ( at which point they had about 90 kms covered since Saturday morning at an average 0f 5.2 kms an hour ) before retracing my steps back to Aughavannagh. The link is to a Facebook album of Sunday's pictures.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Today Jane and I walked ten km on the Cliffs of Moher Coastal Walk. The day started out foggy but ended up a beautiful sunny but chilly day. Stopped half way for a cafe con leche before heading back. Saw two pods of dolphin on the way. The trail follows the cliff-top, see photo.
20141014_133508.jpg

Hiking along the beautiful 12 km Adams River in Roderick Haig-Brown Provincial Park (British Columbia, Canada) to see the Sockeye Salmon run. These fish will have travelled over 4000 km in their lifetime, returning from the Pacific Ocean to their home waters to spawn. This is a dominant year (every 4 years) and at the run's peak, the river becomes crimson with millions of salmon.

Attachments

• Adams River 1.jpg
    Adams River 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Adams River 2.jpg
    Adams River 2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Adams River 3.jpg
    Adams River 3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Adams River 4.jpg
    Adams River 4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Adams River 5.jpg
    Adams River 5.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Tagging for fish count.jpg
    Tagging for fish count.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 9
Walking to Danby Beacon today, it was a lovely day and some nice views

Attachments

• DSC04203.018 Leaving Castleton..JPG
    DSC04203.018 Leaving Castleton..JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • DSC04206.021. Climbing to Danby Beacon .JPG
    DSC04206.021. Climbing to Danby Beacon .JPG
    736.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC04205.020. Over a stile on Oakley Side.JPG
    DSC04205.020. Over a stile on Oakley Side.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC04209.022.Approaching Danby Beacon.JPG
    DSC04209.022.Approaching Danby Beacon.JPG
    540.9 KB · Views: 10
A reconnaissance hike today for a grade 3+ hike I will be leading for The Irish Ramblers Club in 4 weeks time. A loop hike of 16 kms around Luggala, Fancy Mountain, the Coffin Stone and White Hill. Link is to a FB album of pictures from today.
https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10202804734981721

Just returned from two days in the lakes today fell walking with friends here's a couple pics Maiden moor and Castlerigg Stone Circle.

Attachments

• 231020141298.jpg
    231020141298.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC04244.JPG
    DSC04244.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
A selection of Camino Jewellery
At the Wicklow walking festival this weekend. Did 21 km today. Derrybawn and Mullacor. Conditions very bad when we got up to Mullacor. Thought I was going to blow off the mountain. Still had a good day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
At the Wicklow walking festival this weekend. Did 21 km today. Derrybawn and Mullacor. Conditions very bad when we got up to Mullacor. Thought I was going to blow off the mountain. Still had a good day!
I know just what you mean it was the same in Cumbria, looks like we might have shared a rainbow too!

Last edited:
I walked from Calais to Wissant on the Gr120 (Cote d'Opal), we did not realise that it was a French public holiday and where I took the 1st photo from the top of Cap Blanc Nez was overrun by French people on a post midday meal stroll at about 2.30 ish.IMG_20141027_144004717_HDR.jpg

The 2nd photo is of the Canterbury- Rome route signs we started to see as we left Calais, I was a little suprised, I had assumed that the route would dance of into the Interior of Northern France straight from the port and not follow the coast for a few Km.IMG_20141027_125532014.jpg What really interests me about this photo is the red and white little sticker on the blue post with the Gr120, Gr 145 boards on it, written on the sticker is Jerusalem Way, I saw these a lot on the Primitivo this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2nd photo is of the Canterbury- Rome route signs we started to see as we left Calais, I was a little suprised, I had assumed that the route would dance of into the Interior of Northern France straight from the port and not follow the coast for a few Km.View attachment 14585 What really interests me about this photo is the red and white little sticker on the blue post with the Gr120, Gr 145 boards on it, written on the sticker is Jerusalem Way, I saw these a lot on the Primitivo this year.
Last day of the Wicklow walking festival.
Scarr mountain, Kanturk, Brown Mountain and back by Lough Dan.
A big well done to a group of visually impaired walkers from the UK who joined us today.image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

IMG_20141028_103920495_HDR.jpg IMG_20141029_122423702_HDR.jpg IMG_20141030_094707843.jpg
Technically I am going against the title of the topic but it was not possible to get WiFi in any of the little places we stopped. So we ( me and my novia) walked for 4 days along the Gr120 and finished in Boulogne today, we would have gone further but I can be a lazy so and so and throw into the mix stopping for menu's de jour, then you have a recipe for finding a little places to stay and put your feet up.
The top photo is for the 2nd day looking back at cap blanc nez, the 2nd photo is the fort on the beach at Ambleteuse which was the 3rd day and the heavens decided to open up for most of it. The 3rd photo is for the beach at Wimmereux were we spent our last night. This was a lovely walk, quite gentle and if we wanted we could have gone the other way into Belgium and connected up with some of the routes that go through the places of WW1. It was a real inner struggle for me to remember that this walking holiday was for the both of us and I had to fight the urge to plonk us both in the middle of Liege and spend 3/4days walking to Namur on the via Monastica.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am getting back to walking after having to stop walking the Camino Portuguese in May. Had problems with my feet and ankle, especially on the cobblestones. This is the second summer with a bum ankle. I don't have any photos. On nice days I am walking only 2 kms to begin with on the Penniac Road, in Penniac, New Brunswick, Canada. On more miserable days I walk in a nearby indoor arena with a walking track and do 3 km. Starting slowly as my ankle is still sore. Hopefully by spring I will be doing longer distances. My goal is to be fit enough to walk Astorga to Santiago in April 2016.

I am getting back to walking after having to stop walking the Camino Portuguese in May. Had problems with my feet and ankle, especially on the cobblestones. This is the second summer with a bum ankle. I don't have any photos. On nice days I am walking only 2 kms to begin with on the Penniac Road, in Penniac, New Brunswick, Canada. On more miserable days I walk in a nearby indoor arena with a walking track and do 3 km. Starting slowly as my ankle is still sore. Hopefully by spring I will be doing longer distances. My goal is to be fit enough to walk Astorga to Santiago in April 2016.
Gailsie

You have my sympathies with your sore ankle. I tore an achilles tendon 18 months ago and it is has only been in the last 2 weeks that I have been able to walk long distances without constant pain. I walk each day around the outskirts of my home town and nearly each time I see a large flock of Superb Parrots [no photo, but they are most aptly named] which were endandered 20 years ago but now are in good numbers in our district. I am walking the Camino de Madrid next May, and am very unfit due to the long time I was not able to walk, so I have a lot of catching up to do with my training. A second, and quite important reason for doing lots of walking, is that my son gets married in Hobart at Christmas, and I cannot fit into my suit. Two kilos down in two weeks, and another 8 kilos to go!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back