• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I train as I walk?

Jane Erasmus

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ('14)
Portuguese ('17)
Ingles ('17)
Muxia/Finisterre ( 14 & '17 & '18)
Del Norte ('18)
Oh dear, I am due to leave on the 31 August. Due to rainy weather and my work load I have not really been able to put in much training. In the last couple of week I have only managed a 20km beach walk (with 7kg pack on) and a pretty steep 10km hike up Table Mountain (also with full pack on) I know that I will not get a chance to do any more hikes / walks until I arrive in SJPDP. I do have 50 days to walk my Camino, so, my theory is to take it slow, 10 - 15 km for the first week and hopefully train as I go. Am I deluded? Is this possible? Must I squeeze in time to at least walk around my neighborhood? Any and all advice please - thank you all :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You may want to wear your boots/shoes as much as possible though, whilst shopping, at work etc, just to ensure they're as worn in as possible, unless you're taking and old pair in which case you probably won't have any problems. Don't let any bad weather stop you from going for a walk though, you'll soon be walking through a few wet days in Spain.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh dear, I am due to leave on the 31 August. Due to rainy weather and my work load I have not really been able to put in much training. In the last couple of week I have only managed a 20km beach walk (with 7kg pack on) and a pretty steep 10km hike up Table Mountain (also with full pack on) I know that I will not get a chance to do any more hikes / walks until I arrive in SJPDP. I do have 50 days to walk my Camino, so, my theory is to take it slow, 10 - 15 km for the first week and hopefully train as I go. Am I deluded? Is this possible? Must I squeeze in time to at least walk around my neighborhood? Any and all advice please - thank you all :)
i am in the same boat as i have no time to train and am wreaked after work . so am worried but it was the same last time, on our first trip we were sore in the mornings but ok once we got moving:) by the end of the first week we were fine and by the end of the second week it felt great to move and backpacks were 2nd nature,,dont worry as long as your shoes/boots are comfy you will be fine i think . enjoy !

I've been alternating my two choices of backpacks packed with about 95% of my camino kit and wearing them for a few hours around the house while doing housework etc. Found that I can barely tell they are there! I've also been wearing my full kit during training walks around town. (and get plenty of goofy looks from people but too bad) Mostly rolling hill work. I'm not doing this every day only because by the time I get off work the temp is about 40C and I detest the heat!!

My CF camino starts Sept 16 from Viscarret (arriving Madrid Sept 15) !! Any one else starting from Corazón Puro Pensión that morning?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the next two weeks before you leave do try to walk at least a bit each day around your neighborhood. Once on the camino remember that the most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Thus do start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Every day is a juggle of topography and weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure. Go easy while you recall the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

Stay safe and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Yes you can!

A previous member of the forum told me that she loaned the shoes of her daughter and off she went!

I took courage from her post, and off I went – elderly, somewhat unfit and with no expectations (my son had said to me that there must be more to my life than my daily walk to the supermarket). So I took off – ready to abort at any time. But to my surprise I kept walking.

Mind you, it is not a walk in the park. I chose to start in Roncesvalles – and that was hard enough for me the first days. But you seem to be fit. Wishing you a 'buen camino'.

annelise

Yes, definitely possible. My training came out of a beer can and cigarette packet. Remember there is the option of going via Valcarlos from SJPP, which still involves a steep climb up to Roncesvalles but allows you to break the 'Pyrenee stage' into two manageable chunks. I'd suggest generally not pushing too much for the first week or so until you find your rhythm and have seen how your body reacts to the different surfaces, gradients etc. Muy Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Echo the recommendations concerning wearing your boots/walking shoes just a little each day for the next two weeks. Also, it would seem wise to take two days for the 'first' stage. It is probably too late to reserve a spot in Orrison, but the lower route through Valcarlos is also beautiful, and there is always a bed there. You will do great!

Yes, I agree, entirely possible. I'm always hopelessly out of shape for the first two weeks. As you are starting at SJPDP it is difficult to avoid a hard first few days, so don't be disappointed in yourself if you feel completely knackered by the time you reach Pamplona. It will get easier, and from Pamplona you have some more options for shorter days. Just attend to your feet as a priority.

What a relief this post is. My training got waylaid by a foot injury. It looks like the foot will be fine, but I'll be nowhere near as ready as I'd thought I would. I haven't even walked a bit with the pack and my Camino starts four weeks from today. I'm also mid shoe crisis, as the ones I thought I'd wear seems to have contributed to my injury. I figure releasing expectations early must be part of my journey. But it's good to hear that we will be okay even if not ideally fit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the next two weeks before you leave do try to walk at least a bit each day around your neighborhood. Once on the camino remember that the most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Thus do start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Every day is a juggle of topography and weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure. Go easy while you recall the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

Stay safe and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith
I always like your advice Margaret! :) Josie

I don't start walking till 24 September - but that seems very soon. My training so far has been working at a standing desk wearing my socks and boots, walking to see colleagues instead of emailing, and walking about an hour and a half each day up and down hills during my commute about 3 days a week. I've been using a pedometer on my bootlaces and usually clock up 7-9000 steps a day which equates to about 5.4 km. It has rained a few days on the way so I'm getting in some acclimatization to Galicia. Today I discovered that it is much easier to sit down and stand up if you keep your feet 400 mm apart - and that could be very useful with tired legs. I don't know yet if this will be sufficient, but my body is behaving well at present. Just to be on the safe side, I will be keeping daily distances under 24 km and having proper rests every couple of hours. I guess September/October will be proof of the pudding.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sounds like you are ready and still have a good month ahead to continue training. We have been walking steep hills - up, down and about 7-10 miles a day, taking rests, some on a conservation trail with a stream to put our feet in. :) We usually walk our dog to our friends house, leave her there for "play time" and walk another 7 miles. The last 2 days we haven't walked.. too busy getting our house in order to be gone 7 weeks. I did have a set back in July for 4 wks. w/sciatic nerve, but thankfully kicked that with a few acupunctures and a couple of massages. today had a gal work on my problem toe and now hoping this salivary stone gets dis-lodged, but will start anitbiotics on Monday if it's still blocked - yikes!. I hear Spain has good doctors! hope so! No worries. Crazy wonderful and after 8 months, only a few more days until take-off. So cool!

You have raised a very interesting question! Hop a train and should one walk the isle and not sit is it "cheating"?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Individual capabilities vary widely, but when I read "20km", "24km", "40km" it makes me think that there is a mental template of what one should be able to do, not what one can do. If you have that template/expectation in mind and you have not been training, you are setting yourself up for injury and an early end to your walk. If you really are out of shape when you start (and are not physically "young"), set your expectations for a much lower number. Ten to twelve kilometers might be a good goal, particularly if the terrain is challenging. If you have a plane to catch or limited time, lengthen the day with a bus or taxi, not by pressing your physical limits. If you have not been training, you really do not know your limits, and finding them by pushing past them is simply not a good idea. Injuries tend to cluster at the end of the day, when you are tired and a bit off balance. That is when you trip, fall, or twist and ankle. That is when you push a little too hard and tear a muscle or strain a tendon. That is when the repetitive stress causes tendonitis or shin splints. That is when you change your body mechanics to accommodate a pain, and start stressing entirely new muscles and joints.

Take the heroic accomplishments of the braggards with a grain of salt. We all could do more when we were younger, and lots of times we exaggerate or minimize what we really did and what the end result was. A pilgrim may be committing him/herself to a half marathon a day for a month. No one would start an exercise program with the "day-30-plan" for the first day. I recommend that you set a realistic Day 1 Plan for the first day, and build slowly. It is not hard to find stories in the Forum of under-planning and over-execution. Press yourself physically only when you are certain of the outcome. You can do more than you think you can do, but it is also possible to think you can do more than you can.:)

I suspect, despite all our good intentions, many of us pilgrims-new and old- end up having to "walk into fitness" en route! KiwiNomad (known to this parish) introduced me to that old french pilgrim saying as true today as it ever was…..."How do you get to Santiago?……….Gently".

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don't let the weather stop you from walking, Spain doesn't save all the good weather for pilgrims. Best training you can do is to walk and walk every day . walk to the store, work if your able, walk the neighborhood like Margaret suggested,walk in the rain, up hills, walk as much as possoble. Your legs and feet are going to be the most important part of your Camino. I wouldn't worry about distance trsining , you got all day to get there. :)

Love your boots
Be your boots
Become one with your boots.

:rolleyes: You will be fine.

Thank you every one :) I have reserved a place at Orisson, and my shoes (New Balance something or other fit like slippers they are so comfy :) ) and I will take all the advice given and take it slow and build up slowly as I go.
I am always so encouraged by the feedback and support. Thanks again and roll on 31 August and the start of my Camino :) :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It is always a good idea to check with Orrisson as time approaches or even when u get to St Jean . Sometimes peoples plans change and a vacancy can come up .
I am in the same boat as above . Have not had time due to work etc and recently the flu . Am one month awAy from leaving home . Plan to take it very slow.
I do have the benefit of hindsight ... Have done other hikes I thought I couldnt but did . Not recently mind you but still know things are possible. Expectations often are the making or undoing of great adventures. One moment at a time .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jane it's really important to listen to your body, no matter how many k or miles you have done. Keep your feet taped the minute you have a hot spot to avoid blisters. There are busses and taxis if you run behind schedule so you can relax, take it at your pace, and stop and smell the roses. Or whatever is blooming in September! Wishing you a wonder-Full Camino!

Im
Thank you every one :) I have reserved a place at Orisson, and my shoes (New Balance something or other fit like slippers they are so comfy :) ) and I will take all the advice given and take it slow and build up slowly as I go.
I am always so encouraged by the feedback and support. Thanks again and roll on 31 August and the start of my Camino :) :)
sorry to be the wimper here, but starting in SJPP is not, in my mind "taking it slowly"! Anne

So is walking "up" to Roncesvalles harder than going " down"?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
First of all, you have to do several hours walking up leaving SJPP. You then have the steep descent into Roncesvalles.
From Roncesvalles, the Camino is much more even. There are a few ups and downs, all be it, short ones. The only fairly steep descent is into Zubiri ( about 10 minutes). Anne

If I could not get a place at Orisson I would stay at Hunto (even those few kilometers make a difference) or take the Valcarlos route and stop there. And the third day, the stretch from Roncesvalles to Zubriri is a lovely walk, but over 20 km (and it takes me much longer than ten minutes to do the rocky descent into Zubriri, which I find taxing), with no logical place to shorten the journey.
I'm not wishing to discourage anyone; the reverse. Short of unforeseen accidents or chronic health conditions, anyone can do the Camino. But being realistic gives you a much better chance of staying the distance.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

greetings,
i'm a train-as-i-go pilgrim.
a little bottle of Aleve doesn't hurt, or weigh much. other analgesics don't do it for me. Aleve works really well for muscle pain
have a wonderful time

Hi Jane -

Excellent advice given by everyone. There's a well known saying on the Camino "Santiago stays still - Slow Down!". You have a ton of time - make the most of every moment.

Here's my all-time favourite Camino youtube clip - every time I watch it, and listen to the fantastic lyrics, I feel stronger - I hope you like it.

The song is called 'Day by Day' and it's by the Canadian band Doug and the Slugs (great name!).

Buen Camino!

Cheers - Jenny

Good question ............. I found going up hard - lets face it going up one km is strenuous ......... going down my wife's knees really hurt so we sort of walked in a zing zagg pattern down and it did help take stress off. Poles\sticks helped too. If it was raining though it was too slippery and it was just just a slow descent but once you get through to Pamplona it is much more manageable in regards to changing elevations. I wish we had thought of asking this question before we went - I hope this helps you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jane -

Excellent advice given by everyone. There's a well known saying on the Camino "Santiago stays still - Slow Down!". You have a ton of time - make the most of every moment.

Here's my all-time favourite Camino youtube clip - every time I watch it, and listen to the fantastic lyrics, I feel stronger - I hope you like it.

The song is called 'Day by Day' and it's by the Canadian band Doug and the Slugs (great name!).

Buen Camino!

Cheers - Jenny

Thank you Jenny :)
What a wonderful little clip... makes my heart skip a beat.
I can't wait.....the next few days will be so full of work and things to get done before I go, that by the time I blink I will be leaving :)
Regards
Jane

Thank you Jenny :)
What a wonderful little clip... makes my heart skip a beat.
I can't wait.....the next few days will be so full of work and things to get done before I go, that by the time I blink I will be leaving :)
Regards
Jane
Hi Jane - I'm so glad you like the clip - it really encapsulates the spirit of the Camino for me - in images, music and lyrics.
You will get stronger "day by day" - enjoy every moment and every step.
Safe travels and Buen Camino!
Cheers - Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you everyone
All advice has been noted and considered and will be applied :)
I really appreciate the generosity of time spent and effort put into providing answers to my question. Thank you
:)
Jane

Five weeks before we started our Spanish camino my husband slipped and fell and tore his shoulder so badly he had to have a full shoulder reconstruction. Yikes. It was on a training walk ironically. But we still went, not "trained" and with his arm in a sling. (I cut up his meat and did up his boots all across Spain.) You'll be fine, just walk in tune with your body, starting slowly, and your fitness builds up. In the end you feel strong and invincible and even look forward to long very steep climbs.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino- Amazon)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While walking the Camino take your time. Pack lightly. Pace yourself. Smell the roses. Hydrate. Stretch. Eat properly. Your body will condition itself as you go. If you feel like walking only a short distance some days, then do so. It's not a contest or a survival hike. It's just a walk you are supposed to enjoy.
Buen Camino.

Individual capabilities vary widely, but when I read "20km", "24km", "40km" it makes me think that there is a mental template of what one should be able to do, not what one can do. If you have that template/expectation in mind and you have not been training, you are setting yourself up for injury and an early end to your walk. If you really are out of shape when you start (and are not physically "young"), set your expectations for a much lower number. Ten to twelve kilometers might be a good goal, particularly if the terrain is challenging. If you have a plane to catch or limited time, lengthen the day with a bus or taxi, not by pressing your physical limits. If you have not been training, you really do not know your limits, and finding them by pushing past them is simply not a good idea. Injuries tend to cluster at the end of the day, when you are tired and a bit off balance. That is when you trip, fall, or twist and ankle. That is when you push a little too hard and tear a muscle or strain a tendon. That is when the repetitive stress causes tendonitis or shin splints. That is when you change your body mechanics to accommodate a pain, and start stressing entirely new muscles and joints.

Take the heroic accomplishments of the braggards with a grain of salt. We all could do more when we were younger, and lots of times we exaggerate or minimize what we really did and what the end result was. A pilgrim may be committing him/herself to a half marathon a day for a month. No one would start an exercise program with the "day-30-plan" for the first day. I recommend that you set a realistic Day 1 Plan for the first day, and build slowly. It is not hard to find stories in the Forum of under-planning and over-execution. Press yourself physically only when you are certain of the outcome. You can do more than you think you can do, but it is also possible to think you can do more than you can.:)

So much truth in this! I used the wonderful Jacotrans service to take my pack on ahead one day in order to be able to 'keep up' with my younger companions, but then it became a competition. I won the day but lost in the long run because I developed excruciating tendonitis and could hardly hobble in to Leon. One step at a time is all it really takes and never, ever forget that it is YOUR camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back