• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few questions for our first camino...

hcsut

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Sept 2014
Hello!

Hope you don't all mind me posting a few more questions on this forum about our first camino. These are the main points that we are looking for advice/help on at the moment:

• We note that day one from SJPdP is (can be) a long one, would people advise doing the full 25.1km to Roncesvalles, or just just ease ourselves in gently and do the 7.8km to Orisson? Are there any other options in the middle of those two!?
  • We will be starting our camino in the 2nd week of September so the weather should still be pretty good. Would people advise a pair of sunglasses, and if so is it worth spending a fair amount of money on a decent pair?!
  • As we are starting to think about our pack weight we come to the question of Waterproofs, and whether to take them . We are hoping that the weather should still be pretty fair at the time of our camino, so a few people have mentioned the idea of just taking a poncho for if and when the rain comes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • Do we need to take any form of eating utensils (bowl/plate/ cutlery etc)?
  • Any further suggestions on foot help, balms or crazy lotions that I can take/make for my feet would be very much appreciated!
Thank you, and any help or advise is extremely appreciated! We are very much excited and looking forward to our camino, but apprehensive of the challenges we are going to face!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hcsut,

Just outside SJPDP is the village of Hunto. It's about half way to Orrison. I would suggest you make your first stop at Orisson. September is a great time of year and you won't be disappointed. Call now if that's your druthers: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php

Buy a pair of cheap glasses that you like. I have broken so many pair while hiking, I should own stock.

Waterproofs, even the new models, are a hassle to get on and off and, in a short time...even in a good shower, you begin to feel incased in material. I have always used an Altus poncho. It covers your pack, have plenty of ventilation and is light weight.

No utensils needed. Hey, a bocadillo is finger food.

I make sure my boots are well broken in and the right size. I wear sock liners to reduce chafing, especially should my feet become wet. Should that happen, I immediately change to a dry pair. Vaseline rubbed on the feet prior to putting on socks (I know, who would do the reverse):rolleyes:will also reduce friction. The key is to immediately stop walking should your feet start to experience "hot spots", reapply the vaseline.

Ask any other questions as they come along.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Yes definitely stay at Orisson, you will need to pay ahead - contact them via their website for details. They are a typical money making private Alberque that scrimp in things like soap in the toilets, but are in a much needed position, which they exploit: but stay there it's worth it!
Don't take any crockery cutlery as most abergues have it: order the pilgrim menu anyway! A cork scew would be handy though.
If your water proofs are heavy don't take them, I just used a good quality rain jacket and my backpack cover: though it didn't rain for me.
Your normal sunglasses will be absolutely fine, it's not as if you are walking through snowfields or anything.
Buon Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I prefer SportSlick to Vaseline for my feet, though it is just Vaseline with some "silicone" added. The tube is quite convenient, and it lasts me more than a month.

http://www.sportslick.com/

Most of the pilgrims do not stop at Orisson because they have limited beds, so it is quite possible to get to Roncesvalles on the first day. Only you know if you are fit enough! Valcarlos splits the distance to Roncesvalles on the Valcarlos Route, so consider it as a stopping point. You have to choose as you leave SJPdP, so you cannot have it both ways!

I take a titanium cup and a titanium utensil set for eating lunch along the trail and drinking at the frequent fountains. I could do without them, though.

Buen camino.

They are a typical money making private Alberque that scrimp in things like soap in the toilets, but are in a much needed position, which they exploit: but stay there it's worth it!

OK, before anyone gets their shorts in a bunch pro/con this opinion. The oldest occupation in the world knew all about a "much need position" and a successful business knows it's "location, location, location". Now, just ruminate on this and enjoy your Camino. BTW, why would you need soap. I washed my clothes before I left for Camino and putting soap in a toilet only makes it bubble.;)

hcsut, welcome to the forum. Advice, you can get that aplenty here. StJdP to Roncevalles? Stay at Orrison, unless you are super fit and well walked in. OR go Valcarlos, lovely Albergue, more places to eat, refresh, and you don't get the steep climb till day 2. Waterproofs, consider an umbrella - great for shade when the afternoon sun gets fierce as well as keeping the rain off. Crockery, pots and pans? No. But a sharp knife and a cork-screw are standard kit for me. Wear your oldest and best loved boots. If you don't have a pair of oldest and best loved boots yet, make sure you do by the time you go ;).

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The use of a "recliner" for social and private meals goes back well before the Greeks, though they and later the Romans made this an integral part of their culture. Therefore, one could infer that the second oldest profession wasn't as may presuppose, but rather that of "furniture maker".:p

Hello!

Hope you don't all mind me posting a few more questions on this forum about our first camino. These are the main points that we are looking for advice/help on at the moment:

• We note that day one from SJPdP is (can be) a long one, would people advise doing the full 25.1km to Roncesvalles, or just just ease ourselves in gently and do the 7.8km to Orisson? Are there any other options in the middle of those two!?
  • We will be starting our camino in the 2nd week of September so the weather should still be pretty good. Would people advise a pair of sunglasses, and if so is it worth spending a fair amount of money on a decent pair?!
  • As we are starting to think about our pack weight we come to the question of Waterproofs, and whether to take them . We are hoping that the weather should still be pretty fair at the time of our camino, so a few people have mentioned the idea of just taking a poncho for if and when the rain comes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • Any further suggestions on foot help, balms or crazy lotions that I can take/make for my feet would be very much appreciated!
Thank you, and any help or advise is extremely appreciated! We are very much excited and looking forward to our camino, but apprehensive of the challenges we are going to face!

Take two pair of cheap sunglasses! Don't take expensive ones! I brought one cheap and one expensive (Oakleys) and kept them both in a low impact area of my pack when not in use and guess which of the two broke... The cheap ones lasted the whole trip and served me well.

Don't do the waterproof pack, for reasons everyone else has listed. I expected fantastic weather last week, but low and behold it poured my last couple days in Santiago and on to finisterre. Luckily I had a cheap plastic trash-bag like poncho that covered me and pack and was excellent! Used it for 4 days and everything stayed perfectly dry!

No eating utensils unless you're planning on camping - albergues provide kitchen ware

For feet, remember that blistering usually occurs from people tying their shoes too tight, because they fear that being too loose will cause rubbing. This is furthest from the truth! Your feet swell SO MUCH while walking. Every morning I would tie my shoes with there being space enough to fit my finger as well and didn't once experience a blister.
The trade off, however, is that small pebbles or dirt can fit into your trainers or low rise boots, and if they stay in there to rub, that can cause a blister but I always poured them out at the first sign and it was never a problem!

Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not all albergues have utensils and pots and pans. None of the municple ones in Galicia do, unless something has changed since April of this year.

I would rekomend light shoes! Light trekking shoes! Don't forget that u Will be walking on really hard surface for 800km

I agree with others here - take a pair of cheap sunglasses (and a hat!) and then if they break, you can get another pair at many of the stores along the way.

For the rain, I like bringing my Marmot waterproof rain jacket, plus a backpack cover over my pack. That way I don't have to struggle in getting a poncho on or off. But plenty of people like the poncho - and for good reason, since it probably keeps your pants drier.

You probably don't need to bring a bowl or a plate, but something like a Swiss army knife or Leatherman (or a mini-Leatherman) may come in handy. I've brought along a plastic spoon, knife, and fork, too - can be helpful for yogurt and other snacks.

And for your feet - others here have mentioned similar products - another option is the Compeed anti-friction stick. For me, it's GREAT! It's small, lasts a while, and works - I rub it in between my toes, on the bottom of my feet, and any other place where there's rubbing from my pack, straps, or clothes. It's not sticky at all, which is nice. http://www.amazon.com/Compeed-C56501-Anti-Blister-Stick/sim/B000MV919I/2?tag=casaivar02-20

Buen Camino!! Enjoy all the planning. And - welcome to the Forum!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all for your replies and offering of great information! It is certainly going to help! Our departure day is edging closer now and we are really excited to get started.

We decided that, having not done anything like this before, we are going to stop at Orisson on day one if we can, so as not to over exert ourselves before we even get chance to get into our Camino properly. I have contacted the albergue at Orisson via the form on their website twice, and sent them an email to their email address refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr but have had no response from them (this contact has all been made over the last week or so). We are now getting concerned that we are going to have no choice but to walk the full stage on Day 1. Has anyone else had trouble with contacting them, or does anyone know a better way for us to try to confirm our reservation with them? Our french is somewhat patchy (to say the least!) so am hesitant to call them.

Thanks again!

Has anyone else had trouble with contacting them, or does anyone know a better way for us to try to confirm our reservation with them? Our french is somewhat patchy (to say the least!) so am hesitant to call them.
They often are busy and hard to contact. This time of year they are quite full. A phone call would work if you have some French skills. They do ask for a confirming phone call from SJPdP, so you can have the Pilgrim Office call for you. An alternative is the Valcarlos route with the albergue midway in Valcarlos. It also has great views and a bit more shade. Another alternative if Orisson is closed is to walk to it, take a taxi back to SJPdP, then a taxi the next morning back to Orisson.

Buen camino.

Thank you all for your replies and offering of great information! It is certainly going to help! Our departure day is edging closer now and we are really excited to get started.

We decided that, having not done anything like this before, we are going to stop at Orisson on day one if we can, so as not to over exert ourselves before we even get chance to get into our Camino properly. I have contacted the albergue at Orisson via the form on their website twice, and sent them an email to their email address refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr but have had no response from them (this contact has all been made over the last week or so). We are now getting concerned that we are going to have no choice but to walk the full stage on Day 1. Has anyone else had trouble with contacting them, or does anyone know a better way for us to try to confirm our reservation with them? Our french is somewhat patchy (to say the least!) so am hesitant to call them.

Thanks again!
We walked in May. I had a hat, sunglasses,umbrella, rain jacket and backpack cover. We had quite a few days of heavy rain but this combination kept me dry. We tried to book at Orisson but they were full and they refered us to Kayola which they also own. It was very nice though we had to walk to Orisson for meals. It took them about a week to respond to my emailed enquiry. I carried wo pairs of prescription sunglasses and two pairs of regular glasses. One pair broke so I was pleased to have a back up until I got to the next town with an optometrist who did repairs for me. I took a spork and a mug for my road side snacks and drinks. Especially the wine fountain at Irache.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The folks at Orisson are quite fluent in English, so don't worry about calling them but be aware they will require you prepay and usually with Paylpal. As Falc said they are up to their ears with visitors right now, so getting no response is typical. There is also alternative which is their gite about 500k down the hill.
I have walked to both Orisson and Roncevalles on the first day and by far my preference is Orisson.
I wear a hat on blazing hot days, carry sunglasses I rarely wear (my bad) and cover my backpack during the rain. A poncho is enough for me in the rain and in September, it will be warmer than May, June and July combined. Hopefully, because I may be taking a second bite of the Camino myself during September this year.

Hello!

greetings...

i vote for the poncho. in light drizzle you can just drape it over your pack and shoulders so your frontal body remains aerated. i did that a lot.

general utensils - no. but bring a switchblade for lunch in the field. and if you plan on doing some cooking as well as eating the menu del dia it's convenient as the albergues often don't have cutting knives.

everyone's body reacts a little differently. this may not be pleasant dinner table talk but i experienced terrible raw heat rash in my inner thighs/groin area. bringing a tube of vaseline and applying it every morning and on an occasional afternoon really worked and made the day much more pleasant. some people lube their feet every morning with a little vaseline as well, though i never did. my last pair of boots had, if i remember now, a fabric lining. not good for me. created friction and blisters along the achilles. ended up buying some electrical tape, lining the backs of the boots with that and that reduced the friction. you'll come up with your own DIY tricks.

one more thing - and again everyone is different and this is my opinion... but the Meseta is roughly the midway point. not only is it halfway when a deep fatigue sets in, but it's also a powerful open expanse that can pull the spirit thin to the snapping point. i experienced this the first time. later i was aware of it and nurtured myself against it (awareness is a powerful tool) but i did observe many first timers wracked/crumbling/tearful... it's part of the experience, but you do not have to suffer from it. it also makes entering the lushness of galicia that much more wonderful.

if you have time - please walk to finisterre. the experience of the mass in santiago is tremendous... to celebrate with all those pilgrims who have come so far is unifying in the human experience. but man, to walk to the sea... to see the sea for the first time after all those individual footsteps and know you can go no further... to spend a day on the cliffs listening to the tide crash and cleanse your soul is something primordial and beyond what you will ever be able to express when your are asked 'how was you trip?'

i wish you a meaningful journey

jim

hcsut,

Just outside SJPDP is the village of Hunto. It's about half way to Orrison. I would suggest you make your first stop at Orisson. September is a great time of year and you won't be disappointed. Call now if that's your druthers: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php

Buy a pair of cheap glasses that you like. I have broken so many pair while hiking, I should own stock.

Waterproofs, even the new models, are a hassle to get on and off and, in a short time...even in a good shower, you begin to feel incased in material. I have always used an Altus poncho. It covers your pack, have plenty of ventilation and is light weight.

No utensils needed. Hey, a bocadillo is finger food.

I make sure my boots are well broken in and the right size. I wear sock liners to reduce chafing, especially should my feet become wet. Should that happen, I immediately change to a dry pair. Vaseline rubbed on the feet prior to putting on socks (I know, who would do the reverse):rolleyes:will also reduce friction. The key is to immediately stop walking should your feet start to experience "hot spots", reapply the vaseline.

Ask any other questions as they come along.

Buen Camino,

Arn
Fabulous advice! All questions I had myself.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello!

Orisson is beautifully placed with a stunning view of the Pyrenees. I wish I had spent the night there, just for the experience of spending the night there. However, I also enjoyed the walk up from SJPDP and staying in SJPDP the night before. So I don't think there's a wrong way, just a way. I would say a reasonably fit person should have no issues walking from SJPDP.

When I walked the Camino Frances, I got the good folks at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP to call the lovely folks at Orrison; I had no trouble getting a bed for the next day. My 20-year-old cousin (very fit) walked the entire way over the mountains and into Roncesvalles in one go. She "highly highly highly" recommended staying at Orrison (so I did). And never regretted it; I'm still in touch with friends who I met there, walked with, and bumped into along the entire Way. I paid for my bed when I got to Orrison. Even people who were in very good shape injured themselves from that long first day walk: they walked too fast, carried too much stuff, didn't anticipate just HOW long 27 km is, wore the wrong footwear, etc. Everyone who stayed at the Orrison gite (hostel) enjoyed a lovely view, a tremendous supper and breakfast, and a good sleep before starting off in the morning for a great unhurried walk to Roncesvalles.

Definitely sunglasses. Expensive or cheap, as long as they properly protect your eyes. If they break, you can buy new ones or repair the broken ones. My sunglasses were repaired with duct tape. I wrapped long pieces of it around my walking sticks before I left home, and used it all the time!

Take a good lightweight wide-brimmed hat. A baseball/peaked cap will keep the sun out of your eyes and off your face, but won't protect your neck or ears. A scarf or Buff (buffwear.com) will protect your neck and can be used if the weather blindsides you (if you are in the mountains, you just never know!). You still need something for your ears. They are overlooked a lot of time but can get easily sunburned.

You might be lucky and only have sunny or cloudy days, but chances are, you will see (and feel!) rain! I walked in Oct-Nov and there was rain, rain and rain right from day three. We (some folks I met at Orrison) and I were walking to Zubiri and got caught in a huge rainstorm. I had a raincoat and a pack cover: the raincoat let in water and the pack cover was not completely waterproof either. Last year I walked from Lisbon to Santiago and took the same coat, but also got a lightweight poncho which covered both me and my pack. I was in heaven then! I also used a dry sack (used for kayaking) in my pack. That thing kept everything dry (and was very quiet to boot--there were no rustling noises from plastic bags)!

I wore hiking boots that were supposed to be the right size (a size bigger than my normal foot) but I think they were only a half size bigger. I had blisters, though not as horrendous as some I saw. I tried Vasoline, anti-chafe/anti-glide stuff, liner and wool socks together, wool socks only, snugly tied laces, looser-ly tied laces, moleskin, Compeed, changing into new socks, etc. I still got blisters. Dealt with them and walked on. Last year, I wore hiking sandals and only got a few blisters from where the sandals occasionally rubbed. Ultimately I ended up with band-aids where the blisters seemed to form, socks and my sandals. I got asked on several occasions if I was German! Hahahaha! (Since one of my walking partners was German, he thought this was hilarious!) So my long-winded advice is to wear whatever footwear you have that is comfortable, broken in, the correct one-size-bigger for your soon-to-growing feet, and do your due diligence when you do get a blister or any other foot/ankle/calf/knee/leg/hip situation.

I would highly recommend carrying a Platypus/Camelback water system on your back. It's so easy to keep hydrated this way and you don't have to remind yourself to drink. If your pack doesn't have a pocket for a water system, put the Camelback on your back first then your pack over it. It works and is actually quite comfortable.

And I second the comments that you should really walk across the Meseta and to Finisterre (and Muxia)! The Meseta is gorgeous--it reminded me of Saskatchewan. It's not flat as you may think it is, but is comprised of rolling hills along with some flat areas. Finisterre is grand. What can I say: I live beside the Atlantic Ocean on the other side of Spain so any visit to any place on the ocean has my vote!

I took a Swiss Army knife and a spork. I used the knife all the time but used the spork only a few times.

Happy walking, Hcsut! I can't predict the weather or the response of your feet to the Camino, but I'm pretty sure I can predict that you will get hooked on walking, on Spain and on the Camino!

Buen Camino!
Heather in PEI, Canada

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unless I missed it by not reading all the other posts...there is an alternative route. I walked to Valcarlos in day one and stopped there in a nearly new (in 2011) alberques - if not open, you just need to ask at the cafe/shop on the right as you go through the village and they will get the alberque opened. My plan for next time is dependent upon arrival time in SJPP. Last time I got to SJ in the early afternoon and then did nothing...next time I will go to the office and get the sello and check the weather advice and then set off to Valcarlos - it is about 13 kilometres and means the 'bounce' over the mountain the next day will be a little easier.

Footwear: comfortable, worn in, waterproof walking shoes do it for me. I wear ladies 'pop socks' under walking socks. No blister problems. Good advice above about immediate adjustment when hotspots felt.

I had a loose bandana thing for my head and a peaked cap. For water bottles, I ended up with simple plastic bottled water things after I managed to break a sig bottle top (don't ask). Three 500 mil bottles refilled regularly were plenty. No need for cutlery et al. Bottle opener good idea, though.

Buen Camini

greetings...

i vote for the poncho. in light drizzle you can just drape it over your pack and shoulders so your frontal body remains aerated.resonate that a lot.

general utensils - no. but bring a switchblade for lunch in the field. and if you plan on doing some cooking as well as eating the menu del dia it's convenient as the albergues often don't have cutting knives.

everyone's body reacts a little differently. this may not be pleasant dinner table talk but i experienced terrible raw heat rash in my inner thighs/groin area. bringing a tube of vaseline and applying it every morning and on an occasional afternoon really worked and made the day much more pleasant. some people lube their feet every morning with a little vaseline as well, though i never did. my last pair of boots had, if i remember now, a fabric lining. not good for me. created friction and blisters along the achilles. ended up buying some electrical tape, lining the backs of the boots with that and that reduced the friction. you'll come up with your own DIY tricks.

one more thing - and again everyone is different and this is my opinion... but the Meseta is roughly the midway point. not only is it halfway when a deep fatigue sets in, but it's also a powerful open expanse that can pull the spirit thin to the snapping point. i experienced this the first time. later i was aware of it and nurtured myself against it (awareness is a powerful tool) but i did observe many first timers wracked/crumbling/tearful... it's part of the experience, but you do not have to suffer from it. it also makes entering the lushness of galicia that much more wonderful.

if you have time - please walk to finisterre. the experience of the mass in santiago is tremendous... to celebrate with all those pilgrims who have come so far is unifying in the human experience. but man, to walk to the sea... to see the sea for the first time after all those individual footsteps and know you can go no further... to spend a day on the cliffs listening to the tide crash and cleanse your soul is something primordial and beyond what you will ever be able to express when your are asked 'how was you trip?'

i wish you a meaningful journey

jim
Hi Jim, that you so much for your post. I am BRAND new here and will be traveling from Boston with my son upon his graduation from college in 2017. Your post and words about the sea will resonate within me and nl doubt, will echo 3 years from now. Thank you. Thank you to everyone for ALL your valuable opinions and experience.

Thanks again for everyone's help - we are getting there with our packing list!!

We have still not been able to manage to reserve our night stay at Orisson, and a few have mentioned the alternative route via Valcarlos. This is one we are considering, as we really dont want to damage ourselves walking all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day. Does anyone have any further advice on this route? Would it be worth doing? I have heard that route is mainly main road, is this the case? If so, is the traffic heavy etc? Really want to see some scenic bits rather than spending our first day walking down the side of a motorway!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a little group of Valcarlos enthusiasts here, in this forum. See this thread. The consensus is that it is not "the highroad way" (there is only a few km section like that), mostly is by local roads, with sparse traffic, by farmland landscape. Valcarlos is a very nice Basque village with a good, modern albergue, many restaurants, and the final section is through pyrinean woods. I think most guides have not updated their description. And breaking the stages in two (overnight in Valcarlos) is an attractive option, I did it and arrived easily to Roncesvalles, I could even have walked further. And I was them almost 60...

Last edited:
hcsut,

Do please read what others and I have written in praise of the Valcarlos alternate.
In no sense is it all along paved road. In fact it is the original medieval route through the mountain pass. The Napoleon route over the mountain only developed during the battles of 1804.

Near the Ibaneta pass the alternate rises steeply and it always a great relief to crest the pass and then slowly 'float down' to the mystic and mythic Roncesvalles monastery which has been welcoming pilgrims for centuries.

Since I first walked at 65 I have always taken this route stopping overnight at the Valcarlos municipal albergue; now at 75 I hope to stop here once again late this autumn.

Whichever route you do follow, Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Jim, that you so much for your post. I am BRAND new here and will be traveling from Boston with my son upon his graduation from college in 2017. Your post and words about the sea will resonate within me and nl doubt, will echo 3 years from now. Thank you. Thank you to everyone for ALL your valuable opinions and experience.

How exciting to be planning your Camino in 2017. We have been planning ours since February 2012 - and we have enjoyed the planning and anticipation so much. It is almost scary that we leave next week!! This forum is a gem - I'm sure you'll learn so much - and be well entertained too! Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found the climb up to the Ibaneta pass hard going when I walked the Valcarlos route this year as I was having problems with one of my legs hurting. But I got there after an awful lot of stops (every 20 yards or so at one point).

Wow! You guys have been planning for a long time! We decided about 2 weeks ago that we were going to do it, and leave 2 weeks today!!

Thank you for the advice on the Valcarlos route, we are still undecided which we are going to aim for. We are yet to hear back from the Orisson albergue , but have a feeling the decision on our route will be made once we get to Saint Jean.

Thanks again for everyone's help - we are getting there with our packing list!!

We have still not been able to manage to reserve our night stay at Orisson, and a few have mentioned the alternative route via Valcarlos. This is one we are considering, as we really dont want to damage ourselves walking all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day. Does anyone have any further advice on this route? Would it be worth doing? I have heard that route is mainly main road, is this the case? If so, is the traffic heavy etc? Really want to see some scenic bits rather than spending our first day walking down the side of a motorway!!

It's a lovely alternative (I've walked both). Very pretty. Part track beside the River Nive, part road walking but it's a small secondary road. There are a few trucks but not much else. There is a good new albergue at Valcarlos.

€60,-
How exciting to be planning your Camino in 2017. We have been planning ours since February 2012 - and we have enjoyed the planning and anticipation so much. It is almost scary that we leave next week!! This forum is a gem - I'm sure you'll learn so much - and be well entertained too! Good luck!
I'm sure the wait will have been worth it. Buen Camino

Orisson is beautifully placed with a stunning view of the Pyrenees. I wish I had spent the night there, just for the experience of spending the night there. However, I also enjoyed the walk up from SJPDP and staying in SJPDP the night before. So I don't think there's a wrong way, just a way. I would say a reasonably fit person should have no issues walking from SJPDP.
how long did it take you to walk from Orrisson the Roncesvallles?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Somewhere between 2.5 to 3 hours, but I walk very slowly, especially with a backpack.

I think you mean from SJPP to Orisson in 2,5-3 hours. If you walk Orisson to Roncesvalles in 2,5 hours (thats impossible) your even faster then i am, and thats not slow at all :)

I think you mean from SJPP to Orisson in 2,5-3 hours. If you walk Orisson to Roncesvalles in 2,5 hours (thats impossible) your even faster then i am, and thats not slow at all :)
so do you know how long for the average walker it would take

Oh yeah, I completely read that wrong. I meant from SJPDP to Orisson. Um, I am going to say that we left Orisson around 10:30 or so and probably got to Roncesvalles around 5:00 pm. But we weren't average walkers. Here's my blog entry for that day -> http://trailbuddy.wordpress.com/201...iago-saint-jean-pied-de-port-to-roncesvalles/

Last edited:
so do you know how long for the average walker it would take

I think GerryDel was right, on average it would take aprox 3 hours i guess, seeing as it is uphill. Some here say 4 hours, but that must be with several breaks and just taking it nice and easy.

I walk quite fast. I think i did that in 1,5 hours. Not very average if you read the times here.
I dont really remember how long it took me to get to Roncesvalles. All i know is that i had to wait at least an hour for the albergue reception to open. I left Sjpp at around 7:00 - 7:30 and was one of the first to arrive.
For me its not a race, although i do get that comment often along the way (and not meant as a nice comment, as if i'm doing something wrong) i just like walking in that pace, especially uphill.

I think for most people it takes around 8 hours. For me it took around 9 or maybe even a little more than that. That's the entire walk. If you subtract SJPDP to Orisson, probably 5 to 5.5 hours.

Last edited:
Hello!

I agree with most of the advise given to you. I would try to book Orission. Why rush over the Pyrenees? The views are magnificent. Why do 25-27km on your the first day!
Buen Camino

€60,-
Hello!

I am so excited for you. I did my first Camino last year leaving SJPdP on Sept. 13th. What an amazing journey. I would suggest staying at Orisson if you can get a room ahead of time. Not only will it make your first couple of day easier but sitting out on the deck at Orisson and watch the Griffon Vultures flying is one of my favorite memories. If I could share anything from my hike it would be to think hard about your footwear. I wore hiking sandles and never had a bad day feet wise. I met so many who more boots because they read you can't hike without them. So many of them has horrible blisters and even cried in the mornings. I would suggest if you wear boots to go easy. But whatever you do enjoy every minute.

Jim

everyone's body reacts a little differently. this may not be pleasant dinner table talk but i experienced terrible raw heat rash in my inner thighs/groin area. bringing a tube of vaseline and applying it every morning and on an occasional afternoon really worked and made the day much more pleasant.

sage advice!

€60,-
Thank you Skudah. You are correct. Ever since we make the commitment to each other to go ..... we want to go right now, we're so excited. I am enjoying thos site a lot.

As far as utensils go, you only need to bring one of those multi-use ones ("spork"?) and perhaps a lightweight cup for wine and such. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
According to our little rug rat: all food is finger food whenever you want it to be ☺

Well then good luck with your chocolat mousse or fat free yoghurt :) ;)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back