• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Help please for shorty :)

Maryindigo

Time of past OR future Camino
Past Camino Sarria to Santiago 12 April 2016
Planning the next one !
Hi All,
I'm sure you are all tired of backpack questions but I was hoping someone could advise me please. I am 5foot 2
and weigh approx. 59 kg and since this is my first Camino and am used to walking but not with a pack am wondering which type of pack would be suitable for me. Am doing Sarria to Santiago in the month of April.
Also as im in Ireland can anyone advise where I can buy same. Thanks guys

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Maryindigo,

Although I'm a little taller than you, I seem to have a proportionally short back. Before I went to get a backpack, I had spent a great deal of time and effort researching the best and lightest packs. In fact, I went along to the shop to buy a specific Osprey bag.

Luckily, I tried it on, only to find that it was completely wrong for me. The guy in Snow + Rock was incredibly helpful in assisting me find the bag that worked best for me. The odd thing was that some of the women's bags really didn't work for me at all! Apart from ensuring that all of the numerous straps were adjusted to suit my particular frame, he loaded all of the bags that I was interested in with kit to let me feel how they would work in real life. In the end, I chose a Deuter Futura and I can honestly say that it did not cause me any trouble or discomfort on the entire 800kms that I walked.

I would very strongly suggest that you go to one of the good outdoor shops and get their expert advice. Most of the assistants are hikers, runners or other outdoor enthusiasts so it's not just sales talk. In my experience, they really do want their customers to be happy (so they keep coming back). Just tell them that you're doing the Camino, and there'll be someone who can help you.

(For what it's worth, you can always identify the boots, poles, pack you want and then check online to see if you come up with a better price elsewhere. However, I think that in the case of the pack in particular, getting professional help with adjusting it is invaluable.)

If I recall correctly, they suggested that I take the pack home and try it out with my own Camino gear to make sure it fitted and felt comfortable. Certainly all three of these retailers encourage you to take boots home to wear around the house for a week-10-days to make sure they feel OK. If there's any problem, they'll take them back.

If you can make it up to Dublin for a day, I can honestly recommend these, having purchased various bits of kit from them all over the years:

Great Outdoors, Chatham Street (off top of Grafton Street), D2
http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/

Snow + Rock, Dundrum Town Centre, D16
http://www.snowandrock.com/
http://www.snowandrock.com/store-dublin/content/fcp-content

53DegreesNorth - Carrickmines and Blanchardstown Shopping Centres, Dublin
- The Cornmarket Centre, Cork
http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/
http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/stores

The good news is that they all have sales running at the moment!

One final thought is that Great Outdoors sometimes run Camino information evenings, often in conjunction with a charity that is going to do a sponsored walk. I've never been to one but it might be useful for you. Keep an eye on their events page, or sign up for info to get emailed.

I hope that this helps and you find exactly what you need.

Buen Camino!

Maria

Just in case you get to Sarria and suddenly panic that you're missing something indispensable, there's an excellent shop there with all the gear a peregrina might need.
C/ Benigno Quiroga, 16 - Bajo 27600 Sarria (Lugo) España
Teléfono: (+34) 982 530 190
E-mail: info@peregrinoteca.com

They also have an impressive online store: http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/index.php

Best,
Maria

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Maryindigo,

Although I'm a little taller than you, I seem to have a proportionally short back. Before I went to get a backpack, I had spent a great deal of time and effort researching the best and lightest packs. In fact, I went along to the shop to buy a specific Osprey bag.

Luckily, I tried it on, only to find that it was completely wrong for me. The guy in Snow + Rock was incredibly helpful in assisting me find the bag that worked best for me. The odd thing was that some of the women's bags really didn't work for me at all! Apart from ensuring that all of the numerous straps were adjusted to suit my particular frame, he loaded all of the bags that I was interested in with kit to let me feel how they would work in real life. In the end, I chose a Deuter Futura and I can honestly say that it did not cause me any trouble or discomfort on the entire 800kms that I walked.

I would very strongly suggest that you go to one of the good outdoor shops and get their expert advice. Most of the assistants are hikers, runners or other outdoor enthusiasts so it's not just sales talk. In my experience, they really do want their customers to be happy (so they keep coming back). Just tell them that you're doing the Camino, and there'll be someone who can help you.

(For what it's worth, you can always identify the boots, poles, pack you want and then check online to see if you come up with a better price elsewhere. However, I think that in the case of the pack in particular, getting professional help with adjusting it is invaluable.)

If I recall correctly, they suggested that I take the pack home and try it out with my own Camino gear to make sure it fitted and felt comfortable. Certainly all three of these retailers encourage you to take boots home to wear around the house for a week-10-days to make sure they feel OK. If there's any problem, they'll take them back.

If you can make it up to Dublin for a day, I can honestly recommend these, having purchased various bits of kit from them all over the years:

Great Outdoors, Chatham Street (off top of Grafton Street), D2
http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/

Snow + Rock, Dundrum Town Centre, D16
http://www.snowandrock.com/
http://www.snowandrock.com/store-dublin/content/fcp-content

53DegreesNorth - Carrickmines and Blanchardstown Shopping Centres, Dublin
- The Cornmarket Centre, Cork
http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/
http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/stores

The good news is that they all have sales running at the moment!

One final thought is that Great Outdoors sometimes run Camino information evenings, often in conjunction with a charity that is going to do a sponsored walk. I've never been to one but it might be useful for you. Keep an eye on their events page, or sign up for info to get emailed.

I hope that this helps and you find exactly what you need.

Buen Camino!

Maria
Maria
Thank you so much for your response ,iam planning on a trip to Dublin before Christmas to have a look for my backpack so thanks for the addresses I will definitely go to these for help.
Never knew greatoutdoors did info evenings re the camino will definitely look that up too since im probably going italone any advice will be helpful to relieve some of the anxiety about going it alone and being prepared enough.
Thanks again ,
Mary

You're welcome, Mary. I walked the Camino alone and would have no hesitation in doing so again. There were only one or two slightly dodgy bits and they were way before Sarria. If you're an experienced walker, I'm sure you'll be grand. Galicia is uncannily like Ireland in many respects and the people are lovely.

It's also worth noting that you can generally be as alone or not as you want to be. Many more pilgrims join in at Sarria so you'll be almost certain to find someone to walk with if that's what you want. However, even though I generally walked alone, I didn't feel lonely. As for the evenings, most peregrinos eat in nearby bars, or in the albergue. Often the meal starts at a given time so everyone's there together so you can chat then.

If you are planning on self-catering, it would be worthwhile to take a few essentials as the albergues in Galicia often seem to have kitchens without any utensils - not terribly useful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,
Maria

Hi Maryindigo,

Peregrina 13 has given you very good advice. I would recommend 'The Great Outdoors' in Dublin, but on the other hand I am sure Limerick must have some good shops with equally well trained staff. It is a good idea to wear a little rucksack and just dump it into the bag you are thinking of buying to give it weight as you are trying on various bags.

I too have walked on my own and I think the Camino is the safest place on the planet. However if you are on your own it is not worth while trying to cook for yourself. You end up either leaving bags of rice behind you or carrying them next day. so there is no saving.

Lots of people use a 35 litre rucksack, which I have used, but I now use a 30 litre. It is a little tight on space but is lighter and stops me from being tempted to add in things that 'might be useful'.

Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I swear by my Gregory Sage pack:
http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM301_cfg.html?dwvar_GM301__cfg_gmp_color=rosewood_red#start=11

I don't know if Gregory packs are available in Ireland, but I love this pack, so I thought I would mention it just in case.
I am a couple inches shorter than you and weigh about 1 lb more than you do, so we are similar size.

I have had my pack for about 3 years and before taking it on the Camino, I hiked a bunch with it - not including the Camino, I have hiked more than 100 miles with this pack.

I'm 5'4 but when looking for backpacks was told I have an exceptionally short torso from hip to armpit. I tried on every Osprey on the planet, but they all dragged on my shoulders, so I too have ended up with a Deuter. The Deuter has an adjustable back, which I can recommend.

I'm 5'4 but when looking for backpacks was told I have an exceptionally short torso from hip to armpit. I tried on every Osprey on the planet, but they all dragged on my shoulders, so I too have ended up with a Deuter. The Deuter has an adjustable back, which I can recommend.
I couldn't find a Deuter pack that fit short enough and felt good. I am in the final decision making on the two packs I own that do fit the best for my 15" torso. Pack 1 is the Lowe Alpine Centro ND 33+10, pack 2 is a Mammut Crea Light 40L. I've been hiking locally with both loaded with about 95% of my kit and I think the Mammut is just a smidge more comfortable (and weighs a pound less empty!!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Maryindigo,

Peregrina 13 has given you very good advice. I would recommend 'The Great Outdoors' in Dublin, but on the other hand I am sure Limerick must have some good shops with equally well trained staff. It is a good idea to wear a little rucksack and just dump it into the bag you are thinking of buying to give it weight as you are trying on various bags.

I too have walked on my own and I think the Camino is the safest place on the planet. However if you are on your own it is not worth while trying to cook for yourself. You end up either leaving bags of rice behind you or carrying them next day. so there is no saving.

Lots of people use a 35 litre rucksack, which I have used, but I now use a 30 litre. It is a little tight on space but is lighter and stops me from being tempted to add in things that 'might be useful'.

Buen Camino,

Lydia ,
Thank you for your reply , I have found two shops here in Limerick who stock the outdoors things I bought my hiking boots in there last year but found I was left pretty much to my own devices while choosing and trying on and wasn't given much advice re same so I was hoping for somewhere that maybe had someone who could advise. Thanks for the size advice I tend to be an overpacker when travelling so must watch out for this seeing mainly as ill be hauling it around on my back lol
Thanks a million , Mary

I swear by my Gregory Sage pack:
http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM301_cfg.html?dwvar_GM301__cfg_gmp_color=rosewood_red#start=11

I don't know if Gregory packs are available in Ireland, but I love this pack, so I thought I would mention it just in case.
I am a couple inches shorter than you and weigh about 1 lb more than you do, so we are similar size.

I have had my pack for about 3 years and before taking it on the Camino, I hiked a bunch with it - not including the Camino, I have hiked more than 100 miles with this pack.
Thanks November_moon ,
I will look this up great to hear one that is comfy on someone similar size ,
Mary

Thanks Kiwi-d :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I couldn't find a Deuter pack that fit short enough and felt good. I am in the final decision making on the two packs I own that do fit the best for my 15" torso. Pack 1 is the Lowe Alpine Centro ND 33+10, pack 2 is a Mammut Crea Light 40L. I've been hiking locally with both loaded with about 95% of my kit and I think the Mammut is just a smidge more comfortable (and weighs a pound less empty!!)
Thanks Great Dane ill keep an eye out for these twotypes also am hoping to try on several to get the best fit

If you cannot decide between them comfort wise then that 500gms (1 pound) less weight is going to be really important. My new pack is 300gms heavier than my old one. I am now keeping the old one for the Camino and using the new one for training instead of vice versa, that 300gms makes a huge difference.

If you cannot decide between them comfort wise then that 500gms (1 pound) less weight is going to be really important. My new pack is 300gms heavier than my old one. I am now keeping the old one for the Camino and using the new one for training instead of vice versa, that 300gms makes a huge difference.
The lighter pack - the Mammut fits so nice I can barely tell it's there even when loaded. And I like the full ventilation trampoline. The Lowe Alpine pokes me a little in two spots and even though the X design of the ventilation does its job, I'm pretty sure it's the Mammut I'm taking in 3 weeks - 3 WEEKS!!!!. (I've taken both loaded to 95% on numerous rolling hill 14-15km hikes plus as silly as it sounds, wear them around the house for a couple hours every couple of days. Our dog thinks it's quite normal, the husband thinks I am nuts.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The lighter pack - the Mammut fits so nice I can barely tell it's there even when loaded. And I like the full ventilation trampoline. The Lowe Alpine pokes me a little in two spots and even though the X design of the ventilation does its job, I'm pretty sure it's the Mammut I'm taking in 3 weeks - 3 WEEKS!!!!. (I've taken both loaded to 95% on numerous rolling hill 14-15km hikes plus as silly as it sounds, wear them around the house for a couple hours every couple of days. Our dog thinks it's quite normal, the husband thinks I am nuts.)

Three weeks ! You lucky woman I'd love to be going now lol

Hi Maryindigo,
Considering your size and weight, you need to be real careful about weight. I know a lady who walks a Camino every year and she is about your size and her pack weighs just 5.5 kgs. I also have a Deuter pack which is excellent and they have packs specifically for men and women. The Futura is 28 litre or 32 litre which is ample size.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Maryindigo,
Considering your size and weight, you need to be real careful about weight. I know a lady who walks a Camino every year and she is about your size and her pack weighs just 5.5 kgs. I also have a Deuter pack which is excellent and they have packs specifically for men and women. The Futura is 28 litre or 32 litre which is ample size.
Thank you Camino-David
Ill watch out for those brands when im in shopping for a pack ,

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.