• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegans walking the Camino Frances?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked with vegans in Spain and found many curiosities, certified vegetable soup almost always contains meat; you may also find snails in your salad or your soup; no Spanish omelet for you but eggs are not usually a thickening agent in sauces; the better tarta de Santiago will contain butter; then again lard is seldom used in Northern Spain but do ask "manteca de cerdo" in the vernacular. Look around in towns for health food stores for grains, nuts and dried fruits and stock up-better quality for sure and possibly organic. You will be probably be preparing a lot of your own food, the utensils in the albergues are well provided but you have no idea what was cooked before you or how well they were washed – give whatever you use a good scrub or eat raw. It's not impossible but it is a worry that most of us don't share.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've walked with vegans in Spain and found many curiosities, certified vegetable soup almost always contains meat; you may also find snails in your salad or your soup; no Spanish omelet for you but eggs are not usually a thickening agent in sauces; the better tarta de Santiago will contain butter; then again lard is seldom used in Northern Spain but do ask "manteca de cerdo" in the vernacular. Look around in towns for health food stores for grains, nuts and dried fruits and stock up-better quality for sure and possibly organic. You will be probably be preparing a lot of your own food, the utensils in the albergues are well provided but you have no idea what was cooked before you or how well they were washed – give whatever you use a good scrub or eat raw. It's not impossible but it is a worry that most of us don't share.

I eat most of my meals 80% raw anyways...so I will continue this way...plain rice..steamed veggies...nuts and dried fruits. What a wonderful adventure it will be. Perhaps making it even more of a WAY for me! Thanks!

Hi CalgaryBiker,
Vegan here.... and hiking in a few weeks, I've done a lot of research, checked out Happy Cow and such. There are many sites, here's one for anyone visiting Barcelona http://suitelife.com/2014/05/08/vegan-restaurants-in-barcelona-top-5

Pamplona has vegan spots like Sarasate, and Baratza Karea (gluten free, vegan and macrobiotic choices) so those might be fun to check out.

I'm not too worried about it, there's bread, olives, fruit, salad, nuts, etc. What I am doing is making sure I have vegan specific requests for ordering, such as 'no butter, no meat, no cheese. no fish', etc. for specific foods that are likely to have them or have them. If you're a seasoned vegan, you know all the nooks and crannies that items can have hidden ingredients, what I have heard its communication that's key if you're ordering or don't have the option of reading indredients (like at a cafe). Raw fruits and veggies are always compassionate readily available standby's. I don't mind carrying some extra weight of an extra piece of fruit or two, certainly worth it!

Here's a blog of walking the Camino Vegan in 2012: http://www.caminoadventures.com/camino-de-santiago-as-a-vegan/

When are you walking?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have not done the Camino as a vegan but years ago when I was vegan I travelled in Spain. The main thing is to realise that it is very unusual in Spain to be vegan so people sometimes just fail to realise what it is or how important the ingredients are. Some people just would not think about or say whether there had been some meat/bones/stock etc in a dish - it would not seem important to them. Even when you have really made sure people understand 'no meat' - you may find meat/fish whatever in it. So just be vigilant and prepared to fish out bits. Beans - already cooked, are available in most shops, so together with all the veg/fruit and bread you won't starve. But you do need to ensure you get the protein when walking long distance. I take a small seed sprouter when I walk/cycle - its great for a power hit. You can make one just by putting holes in the top of a plastic screw-top container, very light but worthwhile to have..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked with a few vegans, they had no problems with finding food,
Since you have specific dietary needs, use the guidebooks to learn which places have well equipped kitchens, (Xunta Albergues have non functioning kitchens) which towns have decent supermercados, it just takes a little planning on your part.
When you get to an Albergue with a good kitchen, see what is left behind such as salt, seasonings, oil, onions, and other stuff before you even go grocery shopping.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi CalgaryBiker,
Vegan here.... and hiking in a few weeks, I've done a lot of research, checked out Happy Cow and such. There are many sites, here's one for anyone visiting Barcelona http://suitelife.com/2014/05/08/vegan-restaurants-in-barcelona-top-5

Pamplona has vegan spots like Sarasate, and Baratza Karea (gluten free, vegan and macrobiotic choices) so those might be fun to check out.

I'm not too worried about it, there's bread, olives, fruit, salad, nuts, etc. What I am doing is making sure I have vegan specific requests for ordering, such as 'no butter, no meat, no cheese. no fish', etc. for specific foods that are likely to have them or have them. If you're a seasoned vegan, you know all the nooks and crannies that items can have hidden ingredients, what I have heard its communication that's key if you're ordering or don't have the option of reading indredients (like at a cafe). Raw fruits and veggies are always compassionate readily available standby's. I don't mind carrying some extra weight of an extra piece of fruit or two, certainly worth it!

Here's a blog of walking the Camino Vegan in 2012: http://www.caminoadventures.com/camino-de-santiago-as-a-vegan/

I have not been able to set a date yet for my walk....it will happen when it's meant to happen. In the meant time I am making lists , buying things I need...very exciting! Thanks for the links!

When are you walking?

Last summer I had a few excellent communal vegetarian meals, in the private albergue in Hornillos del Camino, this Austrian pilgrim made a great salad, and then pasta with a vegetarian red sauce and a meat sauce made with tuna, I actually preferred the vegetarian pasta sauce.
At the CSJ UK run Albergue Guacelmo in Rabanal del Camino, yes they serve afternoon tea, but they also have an herb garden.
A Canadian couple I walked with cooked a great communal vegetarian dinner, the hospitalera handed the girlfriend a pair of scissors to clip off what herbs she needed to make dinner.
One place I wished I stayed at was Albergue Verde in Hospital de Obrigo after Leon, all my friends told me I missed out, they had a great vegetarian dinner, yoga, breakfast with muesli and almond milk.
I'm not even a vegetarian, I was wanting a break from your regular pilgrim meals.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my 'don't miss it list':

Restaurante Sarasate in Pamplona
La Casa Magica in Villatuerte
Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo
The albergue in Las Herrerias
Albergue Ecologico El Beso in Al Balsa (after Triacastela)

All are vegetarian and have or will do vegan on request.

Barcelona rocks...will be keeping a list of places, food and photos so thos who choose to eat compassionately can have a few tips if they take this route to, and along the camino.

PANET 1 block from train-Sants, try the broccoli potato baguette sandwich
CAT BAR a few blocks from the cathedral downtown, completely vegan menu, including the beers, yum!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back