• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language Barrier

Dotte Girl

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino September 2014.
I am leaving in a week and am very excited. I do worry though about my inability to speak Spanish. For those like me, how have you communicated with the locals and Alburgues?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked in Sept 2012, I speak very little Spanish. I didnt have much of a problem with it. If a bar didnt speak English, i pointed to the food I wanted. You will pick up some Spanish as you go. It was fun trying to learn and I used their language every chance I got. I was in their country, and they are all very nice and helpful along the way.

Hope this helps.

I'm leaving SJPP either Aug 31 or Sept 1 this year too!

That's good to know. I imagine I will learn a few words as I go!

Thanks for your reply!
Dotte Girl
I walked in Sept 2012, I speak very little Spanish. I didnt have much of a problem with it. If a bar didnt speak English, i pointed to the food I wanted. You will pick up some Spanish as you go. It was fun trying to learn and I used their language every chance I got. I was in their country, and they are all very nice and helpful along the way.

Hope this helps.

I'm leaving SJPP either Aug 31 or Sept 1 this year too!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do not understand or speak conversational Spanish, so I relied on the App, "Translate", which translates one typed -- or spoken -- language into another typed -- or spoken -- language. See the attached image for an example, and note the microphone and speaker icons. The spoken translation was very helpful for people who could not read the translation on my iPhone. I used Translate for English to Spanish, French, Korean, and Polish.

image.jpg

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am leaving in a week and am very excited. I do worry though about my inability to speak Spanish. For those like me, how have you communicated with the locals and Alburgues?
Anywhere one travels, it is most helpful to have a few words in the local language ... even if it's just as signal of an 'good will effort' . it shows (to me) that one doesn't expect that everyone ought to speak ones native language.
i don't speak portuguese nor spanish - but the italian i do speak, surely helped to project a good version/imitation of my 'make believe spanish' - :)
in your remaining week - or during the flight -- memorize a few words. basics. even as simple as "Donde...?" (where) ...and then point/mimic to what you need. (a drink, food, etc). The greetings, thank-you's and farewells in a language are also very good too.
Make an effort, and chances are that you will be positively surprised ...!
hopefully you won't expect that everyone speaks/understands english in Spain. they don't.
I had prepared some tiny (as in: 2 cm x .8cm) flip-card (on one side the spanish or portuguese word, on the other side the english one) - had enlisted locals to help me with this, and it was a fun "exercise" and quite hilarious, depending at the stage of wine consumption at that point ;-)
good luck - and enjoy the Camino!! best wishes -

Last edited:
I'm having lots of fun with Duolingo (a Spanish language teaching app). Knowing that "the goat is green" may not be incredibly useful, but the app does make it easy to learn. I speak a bit of Spanish but my verbs and tenses are gobbledygook, so am trying to straighten them out a bit. I think it is helping.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Anywhere one travels, it is most helpful to have a few words in the local language ... even if it's just as signal of an 'good will effort' . it shows (to me) that one don't expect that everyone ought to speak ones native language.
i don't speak portuguese nor spanish - but the italian i do speak, surely helped to project a good version/imitation of my 'make believe spanish' - :)
in your remaining week - or during the flight -- memorize a few words. basics. even as simple as "Donde...?" (where) ...and then point/mimic to what you need. (a drink, food, etc). The greetings, thank-you's and farewells in a language are also very good too.
Make an effort, and chances are that you will be positively surprised ...!
hopefully you won't expect that everyone speaks/understands english in Spain. they don't.
I had prepared some tiny (as in: 2 cm x .8cm) flip-card (on one side the spanish or portuguese word, on the other side the english one) - had enlisted locals to help me with this, and it was a fun "exercise" and quite hilarious, depending at the stage of wine consumption at that point ;-)
good luck - and enjoy the Camino!! best wishes -

Could only second that since I was on two less traveled Caminos this year (Madrid & Invierno) and have had no problems. I don't speak Spanish, but I do in a way, some words etc. Enough to find my way and even to talk with a man of Portugues origin who was working half of his life in Paris (I don' speak French either!) and now living in Galicia. Talking about politics and crisis in Europe for three hours with no problem.

These people are simply stunning!

I always find it a pity when you are visiting a foreign country, where the language is different to your own and no attempt has been made to make a small effort to learn, at least, the basics. Now, I don't mean a visit of a day or two, but when you are going to be walking for more than a month, you are, in my opinion, missing out, but also, it's a certain courtesy to the local inhabitants, to try and communicate. I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, but it is very much an Anglo attitude!
There are so many on- line simple courses one can use and then download to your whatever! When I learnt Spanish 20 years ago it entailed putting cassettes in the car radio system to which I could listen while I was driving. Nowadays, everything is so much simpler!
I also understand that if the Pilgrimage has been decided on at the very last minute, then one has every excuse not to have done any homework. But if you are planning for a year or so, then there is plenty of time to work at it! Anne

A strong "I second that" to the suggestion of getting familiar with the greetings and farewells. It sends the needed message that you recognize you are the guest in their country. With a bit of practice, you can even get the emphasis and inflection in the right place and, for a brief second at least, you can sound "local". Another important bit of "language": A big, sincere smile is recognized in any land.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do not understand or speak conversational Spanish, so I relied on the App, "Translate", which translates one typed -- or spoken -- language into another typed -- or spoken -- language. See the attached image for an example, and note the microphone and speaker icons. The spoken translation was very helpful for people who could not read the translation on my iPhone. I used Translate for English to Spanish, French, Korean, and Polish.

View attachment 12701
I do have this app and was thinking of using it, but didn't know how the locals would react or feel about it. Would they be offended and annoyed that I relied on it instead of learning their language? I would think its better than NO communication.

Locals, ranging from priests from whom I asked a pilgrim blessing, to albergue/hotel managers who asked me to install Translate on their smartphone and desktop computer so they could communicate with all guests, to train station workers I asked about timetables and connections, to strangers I asked for directions to a store that sold duct tape, were universally comfortable to grateful to use and learn about the App ... I think in part because these people wanted to help me (like other pilgrims) and appreciated a way to do it clearly and easily.

Please note that I did not rely solely on Translate for Spanish and French -- where high school and college classwork remained useful -- I found it most helpful for back and forth communication or detailed questions and answers.

Last edited:
Another thought to add:

While a data connection (SIM card or wi-fi) was necessary for real-time "conversations", the App saved prior translations, which can be show or spoken at any time.

Further, translations can be shown "full screen" size, too, by tapping on the translation. See below.

image.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

You might have enough time to learn some very basic stuff like "hello" and "do you speak English", "please" and "thank you". I always tried to speak Spanish and then if I couldn't get my point across I would ask if they knew English. If they do, then great.

The experience is better if you speak Spanish and can interact with the local people.

But...English is the common language of Pilgrims.
The French speak to Germans to Italians, etc in English as a rule.
English might/ may be the common language of intercommunicating between Pilgrims, but I was also thinking of speaking to the locals. After all, we are guests in their country.
Personally, I have never spoken to a French speaker, either France or French Canadians in English. They just don't like to speak in English. And the Germans? Yes, the younger generation speaks, and likes to speak English, but the over 60's, no way!! The Austrians and the Swiss Germans are far better linguistically, including the elder generation! The Italians? My 3 grandchildren were educated in Italy and also in the Ticino area ( Southern Switzerland) this is an Italian speaking area. Their priority was to learn the other 2 national Swiss languages (French and German) before learning English. Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did have one time where I tried for a few minutes to hold a conversation in Spanish. It wasn't going very well, but I kept trying. Finally the person asked if I was German or English. I said I was American. They were very happy that I had tried so hard for an American! The effort is well worth it.

I have been learning (or trying to) some Spanish in preparation for my Camino (departing in 12 days), and having previously travelled in other non-English-speaking countries (mainly France and Italy) I second the advice to try to learn a few of the basic words in the time before you go. "Please", "Thank you", "Yes", "No", "Where", "hello" and "my name is..." are not hard to master and well worth the effort. I also know from past experience that in stressful moments the language-knowing part of my brain can freeze up, so the app will be very useful backup and for times when internet access may be unavailable I'll also be taking a little phrase book as I have done on previous travels. I've got the Lonely Planet Spanish one, and feel it is well worth the extra tiny amount of weight for the excellent range of context-specific phrases it offers. I hope never to have to say "I've lost a filling", but it's comforting to know I can if I have to.

To learn a language is like doing a jigsaw puzzle!:oops:
First you separate the outside pieces and complete the border. That's your basic words in your new language.
Then you start to do easy or interesting sections, such as houses, boats, people, etc. that's your " getting more confident stage" , where you can now hold down a conversation, as long as it doesn't get too much out of depth. But at this point you can ask for an explanation and can, most probably catch on the idea or meaning.
Finally, you have to fill in the nitty- gritty!:eek: All that sky, sea or trees! Now you have become proficient!:) Enjoy! Anne

You are going to be a guest in another country. You will find the Spanish, German and many from other countries speak very good English, shouldn't you take the time to learn some Spanish?

This is something that amazes me, believe it or not we Americans are snobs who feel everyone should bow to us.

You will be fine, but take the time to learn some Spanish and even some French, it will make your journey all that much better.

I didn't speak any Spanish but got along just fine.

edit- Well, that's not exactly accurate. I knew "hola," "aqua," and the words for left and right.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I
I always find it a pity when you are visiting a foreign country, where the language is different to your own and no attempt has been made to make a small effort to learn, at least, the basics. Now, I don't mean a visit of a day or two, but when you are going to be walking for more than a month, you are, in my opinion, missing out, but also, it's a certain courtesy to the local inhabitants, to try and communicate. I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, but it is very much an Anglo attitude!
There are so many on- line simple courses one can use and then download to your whatever! When I learnt Spanish 20 years ago it entailed putting cassettes in the car radio system to which I could listen while I was driving. Nowadays, everything is so much simpler!
I also understand that if the Pilgrimage has been decided on at the very last minute, then one has every excuse not to have done any homework. But if you are planning for a year or so, then there is plenty of time to work at it! Anne

I have been practicing with the Rosetta Stone that I bought, reading common words/phrases from Brierley's book, and have used some of the Translation App. on my phone. It's as if I'm not trying to disrespect the locals or their language. I simply feel inadequate in using it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have been practicing with the Rosetta Stone that I bought, reading common words/phrases from Brierley's book, and have used some of the Translation App. on my phone. It's as if I'm not trying to disrespect the locals or their language. I simply feel inadequate in using it.

Rosetta Stone is a good tool for learning the basics quickly. Good luck. You should be fine if you know a few key phrases.

That's a normal feeling when using a new language in front of the locals, it scares me every time but you may be surprised by how much you do know, especially when you see that you've been understood. It sounds to me that you're doing all the right things and I'm sure you will be fine. If you end up joining a camino family hopefully one of them can teach you a few words too. Try to learn some food items though, it may help when you want to choose your meal.
Buen Camino

I forgot to mention earlier, it's normal in Spain when entering a small store or bar to say 'Hola, Buenos dias' when entering the premises and 'Adios' when leaving, even if you haven't bought anything. The locals find it rude if these little courtesies aren't observed, although they're probably used to it by now but it will also give you more confidence in the language when you get a smile and a reply back.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know it's a bit late in the day for many but if you learnt Latin at school you'd be surprised how useful it is in thinking of latin based words (as against english/north european based words) to use in Spanish and then just add an "o" or "a" to the end of it!
Works more often than not, and when it doesn't and reduces the other party to fits of giggles it usually turns out to be a case of "falsos amigos"!!

Last edited:
Don't underestimate the importance of greeting people appropriately in Spain. This shows that you are polite and respectful, and will have a big influence on the success or otherwise of what comes next. It may sound obvious but saying Hola or Buenos dias before ordering in a bar or asking directions is essential. Calling older people 'senor/senora' is desirable but non-essential.
The Spanish react better to confident, open people than they do to shrinking violets (suspicious and sinister
clear.png
) . When entering a small village bar say a general 'hola/buenas' to all assembled as you walk in. You're just announcing yourself, which is normal.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you can overcome your sense of inadequancy the locals will appreciate you trying and will be really helpful. A very useful phrase is 'despacio por favor' (slower please) if they talk to fast to catch the words.
Also note that when offered 'seconds' or top up of drinks we in English say 'Thank you' quite often meaning Yes please. The Spanish say Yes please. If you say Gracias they think you mean 'No thank you'.
Buen camino

I'm having lots of fun with Duolingo (a Spanish language teaching app). Knowing that "the goat is green" may not be incredibly useful, but the app does make it easy to learn. I speak a bit of Spanish but my verbs and tenses are gobbledygook, so am trying to straighten them out a bit. I think it is helping.

I love Duolingo too!! I am trying to be able to speak Spanish a lot better next time we go, hopefully in another year or two.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are going to be a guest in another country. You will find the Spanish, German and many from other countries speak very good English, shouldn't you take the time to learn some Spanish?

This is something that amazes me, believe it or not we Americans are snobs who feel everyone should bow to us.

You will be fine, but take the time to learn some Spanish and even some French, it will make your journey all that much better.

I have and will keep learning key words in Spanish. Initially I didn't state that I had been TRYING to learn it. I simply questioned my ability to whip off sentences or to be successful at communicating ( which is on my mind).
I get it that wherever one is, that I should not expect them to know or speak MY language.
I love the reminder " to smile" as a communication tool !
Ultreyia and Buen Camino!

Dotte Girl

If you can overcome your sense of inadequancy the locals will appreciate you trying and will be really helpful. A very useful phrase is 'despacio por favor' (slower please) if they talk to fast to catch the words.
Also note that when offered 'seconds' or top up of drinks we in English say 'Thank you' quite often meaning Yes please. The Spanish say Yes please. If you say Gracias they think you mean 'No thank you'.
Buen camino
Well I certainly will have to get it right if I am going to get offered seconds on my drinks ☺️!

Many times you will encounter locals as you walk the trails. I always found it was helpful, and polite, to greet them with a "Buenos Dias." Oftentimes they would respond with a "Buen Camino" in which case a "Muchas Gracias" is a nice response. Try this a few times and I'm sure it will increase your comfort level. Buen Camino!
....... we in English say 'Thank you' quite often meaning Yes please. The Spanish say Yes please. If you say Gracias they think you mean 'No thank you'.
Buen camino
That explains it !!! :D

Al, not a bad idea ! I don't think my husband would agree:)!
"Lover" is maybe a bit extreme, but some vibe with a spanish speaking Caminante, or two, will certainly be useful. Because whilst it's good to know some basic expressions, you'll also have to get your ear accustomed to expressions and accents. Memorizing simple sentences which include numbers, days of the week, etc. are always helpful.There is no quick way around learning a foreign language (you'll need the lover for quite a bit longer than the Camino Francés !:() but people you meet will appreciate your effort and go out of their way to understand and reply.;)

€60,-
Buenos Dias
Buenas Tardes
Buenas Noches

good morning
good afternoon
good nite

Donde Esta?...where is...

Que Dios te Bendiga...God Bless you

Aqui hay agua para tomar? is there drinking water here?
hay lugar para dormir..is there a place-room to sleep?

Donde esta el Albergue..where is the Albuerge

es a la Derecha? ..is it to the right?
es a la Izquierda..is it to the left?
quantos kilometros es..how many Ks is it
quanto metros es..how many meters is it
donde esta la pharmacia?

i hope these help..these are Americanised versions

if there are any phrases i have jacked up..sorry!
if i have helped, and some more common phrases used there are needed, it would help me to know, and a pleasure to help others
Peace

Last edited:
Oh I seem to get a few phrases out there...understanding the replies however goes right over my head!
Yes - unfortunately our dear Spanish amigos tend to speak at about 400 words a second. I don't know how even the locals understand each other!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes - unfortunately our dear Spanish amigos tend to speak at about 400 words a second. I don't know how even the locals understand each other!!
This goes for any language when you are learning it! In the past, we were an English/ Italian speaking family. My mother gave up, because she said we were speaking too fast!
However, how about this - I have just been back to my country, England after 18 years. I had a big problem the first days to tune in to " proper" English!! Anne

Ever been to inner Scotland Mike ?
They are hard to beat

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"Proper English" Anna? I come from near to the black country and that local accent would never be called proper. I have difficulty understanding sometimes.
Precisely that, Al. I come from near Manchester and we were in Kent!!
Ah yes, and 2 of my cousins that were with us are Aussies! Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm going to disagree with some things.

The younger generation doesn't universally speak English. Not even close to it. Even if they do they might not feel comfortable using it.

In relationships you end up using the common language. I never learned a single word no matter how hard they tried to teach me.

If you're in need of help two methods never fail.

Ask the nearest pretty girl. What's the worst that can happen?

Ask some one in uniform. Other then that pharmacists etc are more likely to speak English then the average person.

i'm a firm believer in learning the bare minimum of: greetings, valedictions and the ability to say 'excuse me, i don't speak ( )'... it's basic civility as a guest in another country. (and as a pilgrim needing direction from time to time, learning left, right, straight, and corner wouldn't hurt. haha) any attempt to use what spanish you know will be met with appreciation.

the camino is full of repetition, so don't worry! you'll soon get used to the patterns if not the words themselves - where are you from, how long have you walked today, where are you headed, kitchen, bed, toilet, shower... maybe because i'm always hungry and i'm a tactile learner i find grocery stores to be fantastic vocabulary builders...

lastly, the word 'barrier' - and i understand that the main concern of the question is of a practical nature... but taking your heart/mind as well as your body across a foreign land is part of the experience. a language barrier is also an opportunity to open oneself to another without the clutter of words and practice openness, kindness, patience... any of the good things we want to bring along.

have a great journey!

Ever been to inner Scotland Mike ?
They are hard to beat
Not been to that little (soon to be independent) country for some years so memories of our Scottish friends is hazy.

So maybe I was slightly exaggerating the speed at which Spaniards talk - but it was even commented upon in my on-line Spanish language course so it must be a feature. My local community class teacher also agreed that Spanish is a "fast" language.

So please no more examples of other peoples who speak very, very, very fast. OK??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, for an untrained ear, any word or sentence is "fast" because our brain has to process the content. Not always does a beginner have the vocabulary for a sensible "translation" into understanding.
As Jimtim writes, the Camino is full of repetition which eventually leads to a better two way communication.;)

Don't forget the English language club in Pamplona anyone who is there on a Tuesday night. It would probably be a good way to break the ice meeting some locals if you don't speak Spanish. They are a fun crowd according to someone who went. Here's the posting:
Hi everybody! Pamplona´s english conversation club would like to meet you and have a talk in english!. We are studying english so we would be very pleased if some of you wanted to join us. We meet every Tuesday at 7 p.m. at O´Connor´s Irish Pub in Paseo de Sarasate in Pamplona (just five minutes walking from pilgrims hostel or albergue ).

We usually practice english from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and afterwards, we go to taste typical 'pintxos'. If you are in Pamplona (only Tuesdays) and want to join us do not hesitate to contact us at pamplonahablaingles@yahoo.es or http://www.facebook.com/pamplonahi

If you joined us you would have the opportunity to know spanish people, moreover I am sure you would have a good time and you could ask us everything you want to know about the city,the camino, Navarra´s history, or spanish culture.

Sorry for the mistakes in my written english! :-S

Thank you very much! see you in Pamplona and buen camino!

Try listening to the Spanish weather forecasts on rtve.es - it helps to 'tune in' the ears.
Tried that today and all I could get was "mas", "caliente" and "Jueves" ! As an ex teacher I am not a good student !!! I have decided, however, that when we get home in November I am going to enrol in an online course. We don't have anything available where I live. Might be a bit late for this trip, but who knows what the future might bring.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tried that today and all I could get was "mas", "caliente" and "Jueves" ! As an ex teacher I am not a good student !!! I have decided, however, that when we get home in November I am going to enrol in an online course. We don't have anything available where I live. Might be a bit late for this trip, but who knows what the future might bring.

My son went with Xavier Rudd [ The singer not the other bloke Sriyantra] many years ago from Melb. to Canada, USA and finally Sth America.
Was away 4 years.
Stayed in a home in Guatemala for $100 US /week , no english spoken.
No spaghetti for dinner either.
Wonderful experience and as a builder he was as in demand in the town , for love's/mates rates.....[Beer/Chicken and Rice]
The poorest,nicest people on earth Dad was his comment.
After 6 months he came home and enrolled in Spanish lessons her in Melbourne where the school is very popular.
He could speak very good spanish.....or so he thought.

Every teacher , as they came from different countries, spoke a DIFFERENT spanish dialect.
The spanish knew what was being said but the students had a bit of trouble.

There is NO problems with the spanish on the camino.
On Le Puy GR its a different bowl of soup.

Safe, blister free camino next month

They do speak quickly, and as Fraluchi says it's difficult to process quickly enough. For me the problem was actually working out where one word ended and the next began. A sentence just sounded like one long word!
One idea that might help is to listen to the radio online. Rte radio 5 is quite good as it's talk radio. For the beginner just listen for words that you think you might be able to guess, write them down, and check them later. You might notice a pattern eg lots of _ion words that tend to be similar in Spanish and English. For those with a bit of Spanish listen to the news and see if you know what some of the stories are about etc. The point isn't really learning words, more about tuning your ear to it.

I'm going to disagree with some things.

The younger generation doesn't universally speak English. Not even close to it. Even if they do they might not feel comfortable using it.

In relationships you end up using the common language. I never learned a single word no matter how hard they tried to teach me.

If you're in need of help two methods never fail.

Ask the nearest pretty girl. What's the worst that can happen?

Ask some one in uniform. Other then that pharmacists etc are more likely to speak English then the average person.

I can't begin to tell you how many pharmacists i visited on the french camino. Maybe i've seen 'm all, who knows. What i do know is that not even close to 1% of all the farmacias i have been to, spoke english to me, no matter how i tried my best in Spanish. When i asked them if they could maybe speak a word or two, i almost always got an almost rude "NO!".

This also goes for the Farmacias on the portugees camino. Lucky for me, that time i hardly visited them for me, but more for someone else.

One farmacia was the exception. The one in Astorga on (i believe) plaza mayor. She went way out of her way to help me and spoke good english. Right at that moment that was what i needed the most, somebody who understood my problems and who could tell me in a clear way (also important) what the best solution for that time was that she had to offer. I was soooo happy :)

Don't count on farmacias to speak any English.

I will never forget one occasion in a chemist shop .... I needed something for night-time cramps in both legs. I had to mime it, jumping around the shop, holding both thighs, shouting "Oooo!" "Aaarrgghhhh!" in mock pain. Everyone in the shop was laughing - but they understood completely, and I got my anti-cramp tablets :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will never forget one occasion in a chemist shop .... I needed something for night-time cramps in both legs. I had to mime it, jumping around the shop, holding both thighs, shouting "Oooo!" "Aaarrgghhhh!" in mock pain. Everyone in the shop was laughing - but they understood completely, and I got my anti-cramp tablets :)
Did they work? I suffer from cramps and have tried everything over the counter, extra magnesium, Epsom salts in water and magnets in the bed!!! Maybe a Spanish farmacia can help me !

The strange thing is I couldn't get them to speak anything but English to me
hahahaha, your kidding. Really? :)

Did they work? I suffer from cramps and have tried everything over the counter, extra magnesium, Epsom salts in water and magnets in the bed!!! Maybe a Spanish farmacia can help me !
Bananas - for potassium; lick of salt - you won't overdose (this is for the Camino really); Diarolyte sachets - rehydration salts/electrolytes. Spanish farmacias sell something similar to these but don't buy the 'sports' variety as they are different.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe will see you. Beginning walk on 30th Aug.

While I agree with the view that it's best to have spent some time learning some basic Spanish before setting out, there's no need to beat yourself up about your skill level if you haven't had the chance to do this. Try and take whatever time you can, such as on your flight, to check out the most common phrases you will need, especially those related to giving and checking directions. Also, make sure you can use the basic question words:
¿dónde está..? - where is...?
¿qué es...? - where is...?
¿cómo puedo...? - how can I...?
¿cuánto es...?- how much is..?
¿hay...? - is there....? / are there...?

As others have said, do make an effort to greet people both on the way, and when you enter a bar, shop or albergue - it may seem like a tiny thing, but it's important in oiling the wheels. Likewise, smile, smile, smile!

In many ways, you are entering a school of immersion learning. Despite some differences in the Basque territory and in Galicia, pretty-much everywhere you go you will see similar signs:
albergue (sometimes refugio), iglesia (church),
bar, mesón,
posada, hostal (guest house; some, in Roncesvalles for example, serve a pilgrims' menu),
hotel,
farmacia,
correos / oficina de correos (post office),
panadería (bakery),
alimentación (grocery store) (this word also means food, as does comida),
mercado (market) --> supermercado (supermarket) etc.
El centro is the town centre.

Inside, a sign for aseos, servicios or baños will show you to the toilet or bathroom facilities. In the albergues, el hospitalero / la hospitalera (the former is a male while the latter is a female) will check you in. A sign, or request, for ducha(s) will get you to the shower. La lavandería is the laundry, a lavarropas / lavadora is a washing machine while a secadora is a tumble-dryer and a tendedero is the less expensive drying-rack option. The comedor is the dining room, both in a bar / restaurant and elsewhere. La cocina is the kitchen and microondas is a microwave. The dormitorio is the communal sleeping area where you will find your litera (bunk) (una cama is a bed).

Very quickly, you will come to know these words and many more, simply by having met them over and over again.

If you do need some help, another idea is to ask another peregrino / peregrina (you will very soon learn how to spot them :) ). Remember that everyone is going in the same direction, most of the time. In the afternoon /evenings, when you arrive in a new village or town (pueblo), all the other peregrinos will have the same needs as you - finding a place to stay, having a shower, doing their washing, finding a bar or restaurant in which to eat and / or a shop, possibly finding a pharmacy to stock up on treatment for ampollas (blisters) etc, maybe locating the local church to attend a pilgrim mass (la misa)...
Therefore, anyone who has been there a while already, or who has been there previously, should be able to help you. It's also worth keeping your eyes open for a tourist office (oficina de turísmo), especially in the larger towns / cities (ciudad). There is a very strong likelihood of finding an English speaker, who will have all the information you need to hand, working there.

Every evening, when you arrive at your albergue, you will be asked the same kinds of questions:
¿Nombre? (name) - Me llamo.... / Mi nombre es...
(In this instance, nombre means full name but it can also mean given name / first name. Just in case you hear it, the word apellido means surname / family name.)
¿De dónde eres? (where are you from?) - Soy de... los Estados Unidos / de Australia / de Canadá / de Nueva Zealanda / del Reino Unido / de Inglaterra / de Escocia / de Gales / de Irlanda /de Sudáfrica. (I'm from... the US / Australia / Canada / New Zealand / the United Kingdom / England / Scotland / Wales / Ireland / South Africa)
¿De dónde vienes? (where have you come from?) (hoy - today) - de Burgos, de Ponferrada
¿Cómo...? (how) - a pie (on foot) / en bici / en bicicleta (by bike)
¿Passaporte? (simply hand it over so your details can be registered)
¿Credencial? - pilgrim passport (hand it over to be stamped)
(sellar - to stamp the credencial, un sello - a stamp)

From what I recall, that's generally it, other than asking for your payment, so definitely revise your numbers! Depending on the albergue, you may be asked if you want an evening meal (la cena, cenar - to have dinner) and / or breakfast (el desayuno, desayunar - to have breakfast) the next morning.

Please forgive any errors or omissions; if anyone spots anything, please let me know. I'm so sorry that this message has ended up being so long but I hope that it's useful for you. I'll just offer a few final thoughts below.

It may help if you listen to the hospitalero checking in a few other peregrinos before you take your turn - you'll hear both the questions and how the peregrinos answer them. Although it may be challenging for you for the first few days, you will get into the swing of things quite quickly. Gradually, you will begin to understand more and more of what people are saying (it's often easier when listening to others chatting as you're more relaxed than when wondering how to answer a question that someone has asked you).

Let me offer you one final perspective - imagine that the situation were reversed and a native Spanish speaker with almost no English asked your for help back home. Would you not do whatever you could to understand what he or she was saying and then give any assistance you could? I know I would! And I certainly wouldn't be standing there judging the traveller on how much or how little English her or she knew. I'd be much more likely to double-check that I had really understood what the person meant and then figure out the best way to help. Many of the people who live along the Camino have done so all their lives; in many cases, their families will have lived there for generations. You won't be the first peregrina needing help, and you certainly won't be the last. Beginning with ¡discúlpeme por favor! (excuse me please) will help.

The more effort you make to speak Spanish, whether your verb or noun endings are correct or not, the better, and the greater the rewards you will reap. I travelled alone most of the way (due to injury, gastroenteritis and a chest infection) and I found that people went out of their way to help me and to chat with me, and that they were almost invariably kind. (The only times I ever saw locals getting grumpy were with those who had the expectations of a tourist, rather than the humility and gratitude of the peregrino.) For instance one hospitalera's partner drove around to someone else's house to pick up the key to the local church to give me a private tour simply because I'd asked who the patron saint was!

And it wasn't just the locals either. There were evenings when there were no English speakers apart from me in an albergue but I spent a lovely time talking with Spanish peregrinos. If people truly want to communicate, they will find a way! I am sure that you will find a way, as well as The Way, and will have a wonderful and rewarding time doing so.

¡Buen Camino!
Maria

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
sriyantra - I think they did - it was four years ago! I get anti-cramp pills from my doctor, on prescription, and take them for at least a month or more before I go on camino. I didn't have cramp last year :)

Wonderful post. Thanks for explaining things in such a great way and covering so much. I am sure this will help those who don't know the language an awful lot.

That's very kind of you to say, Al. Unfortunately, I cannot say that I'm fluent in Spanish but I've spent a lot of my life learning / teaching languages so I understand what it feels like to want to communicate effectively but be overwhelmed by lack of vocabulary or grammar. Every little helps!

Best,
Maria

€46,-
I've just realised that there are a few other essential words that any peregrino / peregrina will need to know.
la mochila - your trusty backpack
las botas / los zapatos / las sandalias - your equally trusty boots / shoes / sandals
la zapatería - the place to leave your shoes / boots (in the outside world, this is the word for shoeshop)
las bastones - trekking poles
la vieira - scallop

Depending on the albergue, you may be required to leave your boots and /or poles somewhere, usually near the entrance.

Best,
Maria

Every teacher , as they came from different countries, spoke a DIFFERENT spanish dialect.
The spanish knew what was being said but the students had a bit of trouble.

I had an amusing experience some years ago in Panama airport - not so much to do with dialect as accent.
I tried to order a beer in my best, as taught at school, castilian lisping Spanish with no comprehension from the barman.
I repeated my request only to be met with yet another "¿Que?"
I was rescued by a Hispanic American lady who said
"Honey, just say it as you would in English"
So
"Uno sirveysa, por favor"
"Ah, si señor"
Success!

€60,-

hahahaha, your kidding. Really? :)

No seriously.

I was intent to practice the little Spanish I know and both times the moment I opened my mouth they switched to English and that was that.

I've just realised that there are a few other essential words that any peregrino / peregrina will need to know.

Maria, I agree with Al - you have provided a very handy guide for the beginner.

I also find it helpful to know that Spanish is spoken exactly as it is written - beautifully phonetic, once you know the sound of each letter. A good word to try is Roncesvalles. It looks complicated and I've heard it being murdered, but it is actually quite simple. The 'c' is soft, the 'a' is long. Say it slowly and pronounce every letter - easy peasy!

Anyone reading who is interested could try sounding out the words Maria has suggested - just remember to pronounce every letter.

Maria, I agree with Al - you have provided a very handy guide for the beginner.

I also find it helpful to know that Spanish is spoken exactly as it is written - beautifully phonetic, once you know the sound of each letter. A good word to try is Roncesvalles. It looks complicated and I've heard it being murdered, but it is actually quite simple. The 'c' is soft, the 'a' is long. Say it slowly and pronounce every letter - easy peasy!

Anyone reading who is interested could try sounding out the words Maria has suggested - just remember to pronounce every letter.

Thanks for your kind comment and for raising that point, Kanga. I thought I'd already written far too much or I would have suggested sticking any useful words / sentences that you find into a tool like Google Translate and then hitting the audio button to hear them being pronounced properly in Spanish. A dictionary with a pronunciation tool, such as http://www.spanishdict.com/translation or http://spanish.dictionary.com/ can also be helpful, as it's so much better to learn the correct pronunciation of a word to begin with, rather than trying to fix a habitual error later. 'Listen and repeat, listen and repeat, listen and repeat' may remind people too much of being in school but it's a very valuable language-learning device to do, for a number of reasons.

As you say, it is crucial to check how each letter or combo such as LL is pronounced in Spanish (of the Castilian variety) is spoken. Paying attention to stress patterns (and putting the stress where the accent is placed) can also help to make communication much more effective.

Maria

I had an amusing experience some years ago in Panama airport - not so much to do with dialect as accent.
I tried to order a beer in my best, as taught at school, castilian lisping Spanish with no comprehension from the barman.
I repeated my request only to be met with yet another "¿Que?"
I was rescued by a Hispanic American lady who said
"Honey, just say it as you would in English"
So
"Uno sirveysa, por favor"
"Ah, si señor"
Success!

The pronunciation of Castillano along the north coast is very similar to that in South America. We feel comfortable with our Argentine pronunciation and very rarely hear the local folk speak with a lisp! The number of "Casas Indianos" in the coastal towns bears witness to the wealth of those returning from the New World. The double LL in Llanes sounds more like Jánes (accent on the 'a') than the traditional "Ly" of Madrid Espanol! We are able to understand and (mostly!) be understood which is what really matters. The Argentine greeting of "Que tal, como estas Vos" raises a laugh if nothing else :)
In 2009, walking from Santander through Oviedo and on to Santiago, I did not hear or use English until joining up with the Francés at Melide.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Being Dutch we are, for some reason, apparently supposed or expected to speak English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish and many more languages, cause nobody ever EVER tries to speak Dutch to me when they are in Holland. EVER! And the worst thing? Although very hospitable of us, we allow it. We, Dutch, will then try to speak, German, Frech, Spanish ect ect to you, just to make it easier for you.

Nothing white trash about that if you ask me ;) :)

Being Dutch we are, for some reason, apparently supposed or expected to speak English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish and many more languages, cause nobody ever EVER tries to speak Dutch to me when they are in Holland. EVER! And the worst thing? Although very hospitable of us, we allow it. We, Dutch, will then try to speak, German, Frech, Spanish ect ect to you, just to make it easier for you.
When I am in the Netherlands I speak with the locals in my northern German dialect (Plattdeutsch) and they mostly understand me and I understand them! :)
Jochen

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just came back from walking the Camino last week.....you will pick up Spanish words along the way and cafes/restaurants understand English....no need for an app....I left my smartphone so I will not get distracted....instead, I just brought a basic phone (got a sim card) for emergency purposes.

Being Dutch we are, for some reason, apparently supposed or expected to speak English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish and many more languages, cause nobody ever EVER tries to speak Dutch to me when they are in Holland. EVER! And the worst thing? Although very hospitable of us, we allow it. We, Dutch, will then try to speak, German, Frech, Spanish ect

Dutch its a credit to you that you can/will try to communicate in an others Language,it must get annoying when its expected of you , i never expect someone to speak English but grateful if they do, if they dont it is still not too hard to say enjoy ,thank you or come join us .also a question ? are you taught so many languages in school or are the picked up on the way ? in Ireland we have a couple of years of French or German thats pretty much it,

Dutch its a credit to you that you can/will try to communicate in an others Language,it must get annoying when its expected of you , i never expect someone to speak English but grateful if they do, if they dont it is still not too hard to say enjoy ,thank you or come join us .also a question ? are you taught so many languages in school or are the picked up on the way ? in Ireland we have a couple of years of French or German thats pretty much it,

Annoying? Yes and no, but it depends on how it is expected. How someone brings it. I guess in a similar way how some here always expect the pilgrims to speak Spanish when in Spain, but the difference is that we always try to help somebody in their own or any other language we might have in common, while a majority of the Spanish think its fine to hardly try and meet another person halfway, language wise.
I never expect anyone to speak Dutch. Yes, its funny and nice when they try the goodmornings and goodnights, but really, Why would they even know it? We are a: a minority and b: its a hard language to learn with many pronounciations and strange sounds hardly anybody makes :). We Dutch of course speak it, then there is aprox half of Belgium that speak it, or their version of it anyway, and a hand full of carribean islands. Thats is.

In School we get French, German and English. English from a very young age. Some start with English from 8 years old in school, like my daughter. She is 14 now and already spoke amazing english at 12. I think thats brilliant.
A lot of middle schools even have 50/50 educations where 50% of the courses are given in just english. Oxford english i think its called. Not 100% sure. And also an increasing number of schools teach Spanish. In had these 4 languages in school, but Spanish got the least of my attention :) i often skipped this to drink coffee with friends in the city. Damn i wish i skipped out on German more now hahaha. Maybe thats camino payback for skipping those classes ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annoying? Yes and no, but it depends on how it is expected. How someone brings it. I guess in a similar way how some here always expect the pilgrims to speak Spanish when in Spain, but the difference is that we always try to help somebody in their own or any other language we might have in common, while a majority of the Spanish think its fine to hardly try and meet another person halfway, language wise.
I never expect anyone to speak Dutch. Yes, its funny and nice when they try the goodmornings and goodnights, but really, Why would they even know it? We are a: a minority and b: its a hard language to learn with many pronounciations and strange sounds hardly anybody makes :). We Dutch of course speak it, then there is aprox half of Belgium that speak it, or their version of it anyway, and a hand full of carribean islands. Thats is.

In School we get French, German and English. English from a very young age. Some start with English from 8 years old in school, like my daughter. She is 14 now and already spoke amazing english at 12. I think thats brilliant.
A lot of middle schools even have 50/50 educations where 50% of the courses are given in just english. Oxford english i think its called. Not 100% sure. And also an increasing number of schools teach Spanish. In had these 4 languages in school, but Spanish got the least of my attention :) i often skipped this to drink coffee with friends in the city. Damn i wish i skipped out on German more now hahaha. Maybe thats camino payback for skipping those classes ;)

I tried learning Dutch when I left school at 16 as I was unemployed and wanted to learn a language. It's worth learning just to say the word for 'Please'. I can't remember how to spell it but it has to be the cutest sounding word in the whole world :). I'm learning to speak Swedish and Norwegian at the moment as I plan to take early retirement and move to Sweden in 2018 but now that I'm planning to walk the Camino again in 2016 and from Paris after I've retired I'm thinking about learning some of these languages as well. Is it possible to learn 4 languages at the same time? My Swedish tutor hates me learning Norwegian as they're too similar but I can remember which words are used for each country. I still get confused between some of the German I know and Swedish and want to concentrate on my Swedish mostly but I'd still like to be able to speak some Spanish and French before I walk the Camino again, if only to talk to fellow Pilgrims. I'll also try to learn a few Korean words before I go.
So is it possible to learn more than one at a time or should I just rely on my phrase book and the few words I can remember in each language?

Hopefully you will meet some South Africans some day. Dan kan julle Afrikaans praat!!

I wrote in my reaction that there was also afrikaans, a distant cousin of Dutch. Then i deleted it :)

Your right, some parts of afrikaans are very similar and can be easily understood. Other parts not so much. I think afrikaans sounds very funny, but i love the accent. The way they speak afrikaans, but also their english accent. It doesn't beat the coolness of the scottish accent (opinios again...ooops), but it is in a good second place :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please forgive any errors or omissions; if anyone spots anything, please let me know.

One word that is used repeatedly by locals on the Camino Primitivo and elsewhere in Asturias / Galicia is;-
¿ . . . . ,vale? . Used as the French use ¿ . . . . , ce va?
Meaning " ¿. . . . is that O.K.?
The answer (if it is O.K.) is simply " vale!"

Blessings
Tio Tel

Well I speak Dutch. Not very Well, i must admit ( maybe on the level of a 3 year old).
When I first met Adriaan over 50 years ago and who has a load of siblings, it never occurred to me that they and later, their children, plus of course my parents in law, would have to speak to me in English. I was the minority person, therefore it was up to me to do something about it, or sit around in family gatherings waiting for someone to do the translation for me. Like that, in my opinion, you miss out. I would have missed out! Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One word that is used repeatedly by locals on the Camino Primitivo and elsewhere in Asturias / Galicia is;-
¿ . . . . ,vale? . Used as the French use ¿ . . . . , ce va?
Meaning " ¿. . . . is that O.K.?
The answer (if it is O.K.) is simply " vale!"

Blessings
Tio Tel

Spot on, Terry! Thank you for adding this.

Bright blessings,
Maria

That would be "Cambridge English". ☺

Your right. She just has plain english...for normal folk ;) ....hmmm, Does that make her white trash? :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
really funny i can picture it :) could have been worse had you been having bowel trouble :D

No seriously.

I was intent to practice the little Spanish I know and both times the moment I opened my mouth they switched to English and that was that.

I, too, had this experience with pharmacists all along the del Norte. Their English was pretty good and they were anxious to make sure that I got what I needed-- I come from a pharmaceutical family and thought that the Spanish pharmacists were excellent and their shops well-run. Maria's advice is excellent and would make a good little Idiot's Guide. I found that the more I used my awful Castilian, the more it improved, and the happier the Spanish were with me. Like French Canadians, Spaniards really really like it when you make an honest effort and I found them to be very helpful (I particularly remember the hairdresser from Manresa who spent two solid hours making certain that I could distinguish between ser and estar)-- even pitiful attempts at communication made great friends. As well as the transactional vocab Maria gives us, it is also useful to put together a few sentences on who you are, where you're from, what you do, how many siblings, children, cats, etc, there are in your life-- the Spanish are very verbal and social and seem to enjoy these self-introductions. They don't expect finesse in grammar.

And, as I keep telling people, only a very few speak English. I found that I could communicate much of the time in French, which seems to be widely understood, if not spoken.

Thank you for your very kind remarks, OursonPolaire. Your reminiscences on being assisted through the intricacies of ser and estar made me smile - you're absolutely right, the more interested you are, and the more you improve, the more the determined the native speakers become in helping you to move to the next level.

I also agree completely that it's an excellent idea to prepare a little bio, as many of the locals enjoy hearing our stories of were we're from and why we came. The reason that I took it down to the bare bones of useful nouns was that the OP seemed to be about to step on a plane and I didn't want to overwhelm her. ;) However, generally speaking, investing a little time and effort in getting to grip with a few basic verbs and tenses, and getting a basic idea of the structure and pronunciation of the language is an investment that I consider will be amply rewarded with a deeper and richer experience of Spain, its culture and its people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kanga, I'm using Duolingo as well...It's a fun and easy way to learn. I'm not going for fluency...but I believe knowing some words and phrases will certainly be helpful!

Google translator (with a phone)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my opinion, part of the fun and the entire adventure of the Camino or any other travel to non-English speaking parts of the world is the opportunity try to communicate in the local language or even dialect. Even for those of us who may have studied Spanish is school, unless you've lived in a country and spoken the local dialect regularly, you are likely to feel inadequate. Don't let that stop you. In my experience, the locals sincerely appreciate your trying. Felice and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back