• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top or bottom bunk...and why?

gimpywalker

I have one week to go before I leave for Paris and am a bundle of nerves--I need something to channel my thoughts away from the actual travel days to when I can just put my pack on and start walking...so something twigged when I was reading the Macabi skirt thread--someone CHOSE the top bunk...with my bad knees I would have gone for the bottom, but maybe there's an advantage to being on the top bunk; more air, cooler ??? What do you think?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't prefer the top bunk....but others do for several reasons.

Some like the privacy and ability to screen for changing.
Some feel more secure.

The ladders hurt my feet! Ok once I am up there but always have get up during the night more often when I am in a top bunk. ;)

Others may have a better explanation.

Actually, I prefer a private room...given a choice. I have served my required time in albergues. I will leave my lower/upper bunk for others. If further penance is required, I will opt for pebbles in my shoes. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love this question!

For me, the bottom is ideal.

If one can picture Winnie the Pooh trying to climb up on top of anything, that is what I look like getting to the top bunk. Sometimes I get stuck and have to dangle for a moment. I'm not so bendy either which makes reaching the "ladder" difficult. On some occasions, I get stranded if someone moves the sacred chair I had to use to reach the summit. I once sat up for 1/2 hour waiting for someone to come by to replace chair since my knees were totally worn out making me afraid to jump down. I knew I'd hit the floor immediately if I tried on my own. I really had to pee. I've also fallen off the top a few times, which is kind of funny.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

I have one week to go before I leave for Paris and am a bundle of nerves--I need something to channel my thoughts away from the actual travel days to when I can just put my pack on and start walking...so something twigged when I was reading the Macabi skirt thread--someone CHOSE the top bunk...with my bad knees I would have gone for the bottom, but maybe there's an advantage to being on the top bunk; more air, cooler ??? What do you think?

I chose the bottom bunk after arriving in Roncesvalles in the old church. When I arrived back from my evening meal my rucksack had been moved and found a pilgrim asleep in my bunk.

I decided to go with the flow so climbed up on top bunk and went to sleep. In the middle of the night 03.30 precisely I decided I needed to go to the bathroom (Four litres of water during the climb that day).

Got down O.K., on making my way back up I was fairly exhausted from the walk, I decided I needed to swing parallel bars style and throw my self on to the bunk.

Zero points scored I fell on top of the bunk across from mine the German lady screamed and the whole community awoke so my advise is bottom bunk every time.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have to say bottom. Will go on top if I need to but on the bottom ( i can hear all the dirty minds going) I screen myself off with a sorong and make a cubby house. Like everyone else climbing up ladders in the middle of the night for the loo is just too much as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely the bottom bunk. Not only is it easier for those middle of the night bathroom breaks, but also easier to access your stuff should the need arise.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I too beg, plead and have even offered € to other pilgrims for the bottom buck. I have found one residual issue however; I continue to duck my head (to avoid the top buck) for months after I return from Spain

If Anniesantiago were reading this thread she would tell you that the best bunk is the top bunk for the reason that there are fewer bedbugs. Not sure why, but she and others have said it several times. Depending on the bunk, it' also true that you are generally better able to sit up on the top. If there's a railing, I am happy to be on the top.

And many of you already know this, but every time I sleep in albergues I see many pilgrims struggling to get down when in actuality it is so easy. Don't face out and walk down the steps, just turn around, move away from the ladder, face in and just slide down. Easy.

Up or down, either bed is fine by me.
If i have a bottom and somebody wants to switched with reason, i have no problem with that, but if i have a bed, put my stuff on it and someone else, without asking, decides my stuff has to be moved to another bed so he can just take mine, then i wont be so gentle as @MickMac

Thats just nasty, taking without asking.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bottom since I too am TLB man, tiny little bladder. The albergue in Viana has bunks 3 beds high and if requested will give the pilgrim a parachute for easy descent!

There was a case of one of the 3 tiered bunks in Viana collapsing this year. I much prefer the bottom bunk as I am not as flexible as I was but I never finish a Camino with a lump or two on my head! :(

I always took the top bunk for two reasons: I was walking the Camino with my wife, couldn't hardly ask her to climb on top bunk every night ;) , Secondly, I grew up sharing a room with my brother and I was always on the top bunk, so had years of experience getting in and out of top bunk without making noise or disturbing bottom bunk person :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I vaguely remember a story about a pilgrim falling from the top bed bunk, and getting seriously hurt. Maybe it is just other of "Camino legends"·. Anyway, I confess having had some misgivings with the idea, but I never had a problem. It may have helped that hospitaleros (as mentioned above) allocate bottom beds to pilgrims of a...well... certain age. But after a while, I started to choose the top bunks. The bottom ones gave me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling.

Last edited:
I've just come back from the Frances and only thrice in 34 nights did I end up on top. Simple reason - once I'm up there I really can't get back down. It caused great hilarity the times I did. On those occasions it was because in Casa Garcia the ladder was at the end and didn't have the stupid extra rung you had to climb over - it just stopped by the mattress , and in Arzua there was this great boxes system by the bed that created a climbing frame for easy access. Joy !! The other was a nightmare with a large gentleman below who threw himself over every time he turned. Being above was akin to being on the top deck if a boat in a storm. No wonder his wife was on another bottom bunk and not trying to sleep above him. As I recall I got a little irate the 9th or 10th time he practically bounced me out of bed across the room !!! One other place - I forget where had wrapped the steps in soft foam - bliss !! But there I was an early arrival and headed bottom anyway.

First of all, I'm very happy to get a bed for the night, top or bottom bunk:)

Second, there IS a bigger possibility of being bitten by bed bugs on the bottom bunk, simply because they hide in the mattresses and the slats of the bed and in the bottom bunk you therefore have two potential bed bug mines!

Third, in my opinion, bottom bunks should be reserved for the elder person or one who has certain disabilities ( however, come on, if you are walking nearly 800 Kms, surely you could also manage to climb up a little ladder)!

Fourth. You have much more room up above, a good view, more privacy and you can actually sit up straight without bumping your head. Anne

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I quickly learnt to wear flip flops for going up bunk ladders.
About the question: As long as there is an electrical outlet I don't really mind if it is top or bottom bunk. I need it for the CPAP machine.

Edit - I don't really like top bunks without rails.

Last edited:
Am I the only one thus far that prefers the top bunk? I like being up higher - feels more comfortable to me. I don't mind climbing up and down the ladder, even in the night. I am pretty limber and have good balance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I much prefer the bottom..but I have no problem offering to take the top bunk should someone request the bottom
i insisted last year on swopping bunks with a young lad that had damaged his knee but was so bravely smiling and walking so so slow ,he arrived to the albergue much later and was travelling alone the only bed left was a top bunk .HE was my hero of the way,this lad never stopped smiling and carried on at his slow pace i was so so sorry that we did not get a chance to see him in santiago.so clearskies to quote you if i may ,, i would prefer the bottom bunk but would with a heart and a half give it up to someone else,think i could not have a hope of having a good night sleep if it meant the poor guy or girl above me was afraid /unable to get out of bed,,

They give you an allocated bunk in Roncesvalles these days, so you have no choice. I have been lucky and always got a bottom one, which is my preference.

The top floor (3rd floor) of Roncesvalles is very nice and it has single bunks instead of bunk beds. I think it must have just been remodeled. It had more of a cubicle design with your own locker. Should have taken a picture of it.

I was always assigned the top bunk, even though I was older than a lot of others. The bottom bunk, is my preference and I am willing to give it up to another person with issues about climbing. Another thing, is I never caught anyone sitting on my top bunk chatting with my neighbors! Lol

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I leave for my first camino in 27 days. I would prefer the bottom bunk if only because when traveling by train (AMTRAK) my husband always claims the bottom bunk and I've put up with the tiny top bunk (that you have to access with out a ladder at all) for 35 years. I deserve a bottom bunk treat!!!! That and I usually get up twice in the night to go to the bathroom. And I am a toss and turn sleeper to boot!!! At 59.5 I guess I don't qualify for 'elderly' and people usually guess I am 10 years younger so I just have a feeling I'll be assigned top bunks...:rolleyes:

In 2012 Wendy rolled off the top bunk in Roncesvalles while in a sleeping bag an broke her heal. The next spring we were back to do it again, as hard as we tried we couldn't always get the lower bunks. You sometimes you just have take what you get.

Life is like a box of beds,.... Wait wrong movie.

Last edited:
Third, in my opinion, bottom bunks should be reserved for the elder person or one who has certain disabilities ( however, come on, if you are walking nearly 800 Kms, surely you could also manage to climb up a little ladder. Anne
I walked 800km and STILL struggled to get into and out of a top bunk..... Different skill set - believe me :confused:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
purely subjective... however, after experiencing both options for a while and reading how people predominantly favor the bottom bunk - if you feel neutral about it it might be nice sensitivity to carry with you and offer your lower bunk if feel someone might benefit from it.
in Viana, the albergue by the ruined cathedral has a 3-tier set-up!! haha

I walked 800km and STILL struggled to get into and out of a top bunk..... Different skill set - believe me :confused:
Of course it's a different technique. Every exercise requires different methods!
I usually go for the bottom bunk and Adriaan the top one, but on the occasion that I've used the top bunk, I have always thought " hey, it's a different world up here"! Of course it's a bit difficult to get down. A bit difficult! But, if you can manage 800 Kms then using the top bunk is a minor problem ( unless one really has a physical disability)! I remember once when I was hospitalera, I was trying to encourage all the young folk and the men to use the top bunks. One man excused himself because he did have a physical problem. He had a club foot!! Anne

My thought as well. If you can walk 800km up and down mountains and hills, surely you can manage to get up- and down a bunkbed....give or take an exception.

Preference is just that, preference. No more, no less.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last year on the camino Frances was my first experience of any form of shared accommodation (other than a marital bed when I have chosen my sleeping partner). I walked with my daughter and almost without exception, as a couple, we were allocated an upper and lower bunk. She, as I would expect, always took the upper bunk. However my luck ran out on two occasions and I had to clamber up to a loftier realm. Once there, I enjoyed being able to sit up straight and not feel 'closed in'. But I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of the vertical ladder.

In my opinion, the greatest advantage of the top bunk is that there is no fear of unknown particles falling from the upper mattress when it's occupant tossed and turned. I spent many a moment visualising skin cells and worse floating down onto my face during the night. But worse still was when, as happened often, the bunks were pushed absolutely together and I would be sleeping to all intents and purposes in a double bed with a complete stranger - and believe me, some were very strange!

I kept my spirits soaring by considering all new experiences to be positive, and for the most part they were!

I tend to present it as a something-for-something prospect; I don't mind moving to the top bunk, if the person who wants the bottom one promises not to put their bits and pieces on the chair. Yes, the chair that stands between bunks and makes getting up and down sooo much easier! I don't mind swapping bunks as long as I have use of the chair.

Last edited:
Bottom bunk has another advantage: I was given some nylon cord by another pilgrim last year (about 8 feet long). He showed me how to tie it to the bunk to hang damp clothes and/or your towel. With the towel hanging on the cord near your head you have a privacy curtain and don't have to look directly at the snoring pilgrim in the bunk next to you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

Great question, but for me it depends on the situation.
Hot summer night the top may provide more air.
If it just so happens that a major 'roncandoro/snoring person' is located within the area, bottom can be useful. Take a blancket and fasten a side under the top bunk mattress and let in hang and create a wool 'wall' to provide noise reduction.
Equally in winter you can take four blankets and do it to all sides, thereby creating a 'tent' which will be warm due to body heat, compared with an unheated room.
But as other has stated, one does not have to 'settle' all in on the bunk assigned or chosen, as there may come late arrivers, who may be in more need to some specific bunk.
In my experience, pilgrims most often talk about the situation and find a solution.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

In my opinion, the greatest advantage of the top bunk is that there is no fear of unknown particles falling from the upper mattress when it's occupant tossed and turned. I spent many a moment visualising skin cells and worse floating down onto my face during the night. !

IEUWWW! I think you just turned several bottumbunk lovers into topbunk lovers :) :)

I also REALLY didn't like the double bed set-up of some albergues. Nightmares of a completely full, hot, badly ventilated Najera munical comes back to me. :eek::eek:

I'm just happy to have a place to lay my head. Then, of course, the rest of my body prefers the top bunk. I still chuckle about all the creatures, strings with things and, an occasional spilled drink, I deposited on my brother as we grew up.:rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As Annakappa writes, I quite like the top bunk bed. It's less claustrophobic, warmer (warm air rises) , and admittedly seems less prone to bedbugs.
However, I could write a book about the gymnastics that are required to get in (which generally is easier) than get out. Particularly in the dark, sleep drugged, and only remembering the physical contraptions of the previous albergue.
But like everything on the Camino, after a couple of days any possible frustration wears off anyway. (anydescent:cool:)

My thought as well. If you can walk 800km up and down mountains and hills, surely you can manage to get up- and down a bunkbed....give or take an exception.

Preference is just that, preference. No more, no less.
Actually no it isn't........and I rather mind the inference that to say otherwise could be in anyway disingenuous !!

Actually no it isn't........and I rather mind the inference that to say otherwise could be in anyway disingenuous !!

Sorry you dont like it, but thats MY opinion which is not going to change because you "mind" it! There is NOTHING disingenuous about that!!
I think i can say that with a big degree of certainty, if you can walk a camino of 800km, you probably could also climb up- and down 3 steps of a bunkbed. And as you can see, i also said "give or take an exception".
You wanna be the exception? Just fine by me.

I wander how you would ask someone if he/she is willing to give up his bottombed for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We hardly need another opinion here but I might as well give mine too.
I am in the age category now referred to as 'elderly' although there are plenty older than me on the camino. I actually prefer the top bunk most of the time although as mentioned above do need something on my feet to be comfortable on the ladder rungs. The reason for the top is it just seems less chaotic up there. Nobody ever bumps into me on the top bunk and I'm farther away from the shoes/boots :D!! The exception to this rule is when there is not ladder at all which is the case in (I think) Foncebadon. Getting my 70 year old butt up over the end of a bunk bed with no ladder must have been quite a sight!!:eek: In the end some darling man (whose wife was injured and therefore on the bottom bunk) insisted on lifting me up whenever he was in the room.

Interestingly - this past year on the camino, not once did a young person offer me his or her bottom bunk (a big change). I know there have been controversial discussions on this in the past so just giving my POV here. Strangely, I actually liked it that way as I felt that they were not seeing me as a doddering old lady but as someone who was equal (or at least up) to the challenge. Maybe I'm twisting this around for my own needs or something but that's my story and I'm sticking to it:)

I quickly learnt to wear flip flops for going up bunk ladders.
About the question: As long as there is an electrical outlet I don't really mind if it is top or bottom bunk. I need it for the CPAP machine.

Edit - I don't really like top bunks without rails.

Always wore my flip-flops whilst climbing up the small diameter rung ladders on those bunk beds when assigned to the top. Would then hang them off the posts to use for climbing down.
On my first Camino I played albergue hospitalero for a few hours while the young lady that did it went to lunch and siesta. She specifically instructed me to, if possible, assign the lower bunks to women and older folks.
Never hesitated to climb up and down throughout the night when nature called. I drink a lot of water when walking the Camino and I figure the peregrino below me just gotta understand people gotta pee. :cool:

Gimpywalker:

Top or bottom doesn't matter much to me. That said, I do not like the tripledeckers.

The interesting bunk scenario is where they are pushed together ^^.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK, I agree, call me ignorant or rude or whatever, but there's something I simply don't understand about this thread...

Upper or lower bunk? That was OP question. I even don't understand that one... But I believe there might be some people on this big ball called Earth that actually never did experienced bunkbeds. If they would have they wouldn't ask such a question I believe.

But it's not the question itself that made me think, it's the answers. This tread goes on and on and on. Nice that you have so much to say, but if the bunkbeds (upper or lower that is) would deserve so much attention I believe Schopenhauer, Hegel or even Freud would have dealed with it long time ago.

Ultreia!

PS (Maybe Ivar should add Unlike button..., I guess I would beat the record anytime..., hahaha)

Who would have thunk that an innocuous little thread about bunk beds would raise the hair and ire of pilgrims?!? I have enjoyed immensely the diversion and enlightenment of this thread--there is of course no right and wrong answer, only pilgrims thoughts and experiences, many funny :)
I would hope that pilgrims would by-pass threads they find unworthy of comment…however those that choose to comment regardless I will not call rude or ignorant or whatever, they are simply bullies. Comments made with the intent to belittle the OP or the contributors to a particular thread are not helpful and undermine the purpose of the forum.
If no one is interested in a thread it will die a natural death--surely the most effective “unlike” button.
Thank you to those who generously contribute their two cents worth to any thread in a positive and constructive manner--you are the true heroes and embodiment of the spirit of the Camino.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found the bottom bunk to be claustrophobic. I liked the fresher air and freedom of movement ( no head bumping) of the top bunk. I was travelling with my husband and he preferred to bottom bunk so was a happy arrangement for us. I am fairly agile and rarely need nocturnal bathroom visits, so it worked well for me. I would get dressed and pack up my sleeping things in the morning before I climbed down.

Traveling as a couple, I am hoping that where it is crowded we can have the one double, so that my midnight clamber is only likely to disturb someone who may find it in her heart to forgive me due to long association.... ;)
I am more concerned with the bed bugs issue than the bunk. Although at 58 I don't clamber too well anymore and last year in an AT hostel I gave myself a permanent scar climbing down from a top bunk.

Someone in this thread claimed that if you were able to walk, you would also be able to get up and down to/from a top bunk. In that case, I am exception!

After my camino, I broke my shoulder so severely that I now have a shoulder implant (knuckle and bone …) – but this would not prevent me to walk again even though I am slightly hesitant about it.

– I do, however, have a letter from the operating doctor (whom I explained my dilemma about top bunks if I walked again) stating that I would be in risk to especially descend from a top bunk and that this should in no way be attempted. I would, however, be loath to produce this letter as I would not wish for special priviledges.

annelise

Sorry you dont like it, but thats MY opinion which is not going to change because you "mind" it! There is NOTHING disingenuous about that!!
I think i can say that with a big degree of certainty, if you can walk a camino of 800km, you probably could also climb up- and down 3 steps of a bunkbed. And as you can see, i also said "give or take an exception".
You wanna be the exception? Just fine by me.

I wander how you would ask someone if he/she is willing to give up his bottombed for you.
Interesting that you feel it's acceptable to have a go at me without knowing me, my circumstances, or even stopping for one second to ask why I say what I do. You want to be judgmental - go ahead. I learned not to be ....it took me probably 500 of my 800k but it was a lesson well learned ....And with that I bid you adieu.

Last edited:
Interesting - I can walk the Primitivo and Inglés which have some very steep sections, but I was defeated by the bunk bed. I would have preferred to sleep on top in many ways but had to settle for the bottom bunk. Probably because the steps up are actually vertical and need arm as well as leg strength. Last Camino we used bottom bunks each time, next one we will take the private options and avoid bunk beds completely, and the implied criticism for not being agile enough to manage them.

Interesting that you feel it's acceptable to have a go at me without knowing me, my circumstances, or even stopping for one second to ask why I say what I do. You want to be judgmental - go ahead. I learned not to be ....it took me probably 500 of my 800k but it was a lesson well learned ....And with that I bid you adieu.

While biting my lip, i will be the wiser one today and say...no comment.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a clear preference for bottom bunks - they are always taken first. As a matter of courtesy I will always offer my bottom bunk up for an older person. But there aren't many of those....
I think that courtesy is the key word here. For the most part the younger peregrinos arrive earlier than those of us who are somewhat older! I'm not sure they intend to grab the bottom one. It's just more convenient. Sometimes I climbed up top without saying anything but there were those times when being down below would have helped. It's those who "switch packs" who should be addressed!

Last edited:
I don't prefer the top bunk....but others do for several reasons.

Some like the privacy and ability to screen for changing.
Some feel more secure.

The ladders hurt my feet! Ok once I am up there but always have get up during the night more often when I am in a top bunk. ;)

Others may have a better explanation.

Actually, I prefer a private room...given a choice. I have served my required time in albergues. I will leave my lower/upper bunk for others. If further penance is required, I will opt for pebbles in my shoes. :)

Dear Grayland

Your comments sum up my feelings exactly! The older I get the more I dread the last bed being the top bunk! Likewise the private room! At 76 I just don't have the patience/endurance required for the groups/hordes/mass migrations advancing like soldier ants on the refugio! :)

As for the pebbles, hows about fluorescent hair shirts? :) That with a bit of frothing at the gob would also ensure oncoming drivers would give you a very wide berth! :) I think I'm coming down with pre Camino nerves as I'm off again Mon 2 Sep!

Will I ever learn? NOPE!!! HEH! HEH! :)

THE MALINGERER

Bottom is better if you're short like me!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most people offered me the lower bunk, probably because they were aware that with my length and heft I was likely to shake the entire bedstead when I turned over in my sleep. Best to have me nearer the floor where I was less likely to wake up my bunkmate.

I brought two extra packages of pull-apart earplugs to share, since if I do end up on my back, I will snore. It was a good way to make friends. :)

The bottom bunk with hands down. The reasons are:
1. Albergues do not have many place to sit down on. Not enough chairs if they have some. So you can use your bottom bunker as a chair. You certainly do not want to sit on someone else's bunker.
2. In case you need to go to washroom in the middle of your sleep, you have to climb down and go back up the ladder. This disrupts sleep because you have to be wide awake in order to safely climb down the ladder.

On the other hand, if you sleep in the bottom bunk, and the person on the top rolls over in his/her sleep, sometimes it will wake you up.

So get a bottom one if it is available. Most cases you wont have much choice.

Is it too late to vote? Since I walked out of SJPdP in April I usually found plenty of beds available, and at 65" , 110 pounds, and 55 years of age I was usually offered a bottom bunk upon arrival at the albergue. I got surprised looks when I politely asked for a top bunk next to the door. What's terrible for one is perfect for another--in love, life, and choice of cama.

My left arm is pretty worthless but I manage, and perhaps I give others a laugh as I manage my ingress and egress. But for a vet w PTSD that top bunk near the door is priceless: less crowded, good view, next to door...and the exit sign is like a little light so you can see even after lights out. It took a while for me to realize my anxiety that "someone else will get the top bunk by the door before I arrive" was unfounded (though despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I now worry you will all change your minds).

My main point in my reply is for the hospitaleros here--perhaps as you assign those lower bunks as favors, you might ask if that's ok...it took a lot for me to ask meekly if I might instead have an upper bunk--something I got more comfortable with asking once I realized most preferred lower. I had considered just saying thanks then continuing on, or sleeping in the snow, rather than take the bottom bunk (not wanting to be an ungrateful, demanding perigrina). Only the fact that I saw the room was empty made me bold enough to ask.

And thanks to the OP for bringing this up--if I'd known before hand that the lower bunks were prime real estate, asking to change wouldn't have been so difficult.

Next time, maybe I'll take that lower bunk, and see if I can earn a little money auctioning it off :)

As I am now two days from Santiago I have to say that when I originally posted this question it was a little tongue in cheek, and a little diversion from the butterflies I had before I left. But I have to say that apart from once or twice when I was physically unable to climb into the top bunk, I have religiously chosen the top bunk and enjoyed the freedom, head room, privacy and some satisfaction that someone who didn't want the top bunk had a bottom bunk because of me. The top bunk is my little personal space on a very crowded camino. Two days to go!!!

Like Helen, my husband and I walked together, so we were usually assigned a bottom and a top bunk. And since I like the top bunk and he likes the bottom, it worked out perfectly. And him having the bottom bunk meant he had to put up with me sitting on his bunk :) I can see how finding a place to sit when you have an upper bunk would get tiresome when traveling alone though. And even though I am short, I never found that to be a problem when climbing onto the top bunks - at this point - however I can see that becoming difficult as time goes on with bunks with no ladder.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bottom bunk? When sitting on the side I keep banging my head against the bunk above. :( Why do certain albergues punish us with low top bunks?:rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.