• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes or boots

Bex_c_9

Time of past OR future Camino
So I've never been a massive fan of walking boots. I always find them clumpy and awkward. So I put to you the question shoes or boots. I have the following shoes and boots and I'm looking for past walkers opinions and experiences. I'm walking the Camindo Ingles over 6 days.

Walking shoes
http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/footwear/trekking/men/haglofs_hybrid_en-us.aspx

Walking Boots
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LZT0H6/?tag=casaivar-21

I've had both shoes for a while so both are well broken in.

Cheers

Bex

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is a matter of taste but on the other hand. The camino Ingles is a lot of climbing and decending and some major off road paths so I should choose (and I did on the Ingles and also on the caminho Portuges) for solid stable walking boots as you call them.

I would definitely go for boots if you're doing the Camino Inglés. As Albertinho says, there are some pretty steep uphill parts to deal with, not all on tarmacked roads.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked Camino Ingles in May and managed very well with New Balance training shoes. No need for boots in my opinion. But then I live in Norway and all this "climbing and descending" is like I do if I take a walk in the neighbourhood..:))

We wore boots and prefer them. Yours look fairly lightweight and the ankle support etc is helpful OMO.

I walked Camino Ingles in May and managed very well with New Balance training shoes. No need for boots in my opinion. But then I live in Norway and all this "climbing and descending" is like I do if I take a walk in the neighbourhood..:))
Så Du har solide anklar !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Så Du har solide anklar !
So you speak Norwegian! That's great:) No, in fact my ankles are not too strong, and I walk in boots when I feel it necessary, f.ex. downhill from Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro. Downhill is worse than uphill, I think. Uphill is just a matter of time:) PS: two of my friends always walk in sandals, even if it is raining. Only when it is cold they walk in shoes. Never a blister.

So you speak Norwegian! That's great:) No, in fact my ankles are not too strong, and I walk in boots when I feel it necessary, f.ex. downhill from Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro. Downhill is worse than uphill, I think. Uphill is just a matter of time:) PS: two of my friends always walk in sandals, even if it is raining. Only when it is cold they walk in shoes. Never a blister.
Före jag hade lärnt svenska på skolan men det var för langt. Jag har glömt närmast alt. Jag är bedre i tala spanska .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Once again you guys are on he ball. Thank you for the responses. I think I'll go with the lightweight boots and take my haglofs with me for comfort.

Bex

I'll be starting the Ingles on September 13th... I'll be wearing Keen hiking sandals.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One item which may help people decide between boots and shoes is knowing what percentage of the camino ingles is paved roads and what percentage are natural paths.

How about that from one of the experienced peregrinos?

Last edited:
So I've never been a massive fan of walking boots. I always find them clumpy and awkward. So I put to you the question shoes or boots. I have the following shoes and boots and I'm looking for past walkers opinions and experiences. I'm walking the Camindo Ingles over 6 days.

Walking shoes
http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/footwear/trekking/men/haglofs_hybrid_en-us.aspx

Walking Boots
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LZT0H6/?tag=casaivar-21

I've had both shoes for a while so both are well broken in.

Cheers

Bex

i walked the Camino Portuguese last June. the first few days i used my walking shoes. that is until i got a big blister on my left foot. good thing i brought a pair of nike free 4.0. soft, light, and let's your feet breathe. i wore it thereafter until Santiago, Finisterre, and all the way back to Shanghai. so, in my opinion, walkign shoes / trainers are enough.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One item which may help people decide between boots and shoes is knowing what percentage of the camino frances is paved roads and what percentage are natural paths.

How about that from one of the experienced peregrinos?
Perhaps you could ask that on the Camino Frances section of the forum, rather than here in the Camino Ingles section.

Back to the OP, I walked the Ingles in Apr, wearing Scarpa Trek boots. I didn't think the boots were essential, and I could have coped with a good pair of walking shoes. I am not sure about the Haglofs shoes being considered - they claim to be a light hiking shoe, and might just be a little too lightly constructed for regular use carrying a pack.

I wore Treksta Lite in April, the same pair that I had worn on the Camino Frances 9 months earlier. They were fine for the Ingles, even in the heavy rain that accompanied me on the 2 longest stages. A lot of the Ingles is on concrete, which was perfect for light Gore-tex shoes, though there was a really muddy section of about 5 kms after Siguero when boots might have been better. The biggest challenge on the Ingles is more the constant ups and downs on the long stage between Betanzos and Bruma.

Is there really anything in terms of route on the Camino Ingles that is not also similarly found on the Frances ?

I walked the Frances during Nov13 and am planning to walk the Ingles from Dec8th 2014.

I know it will have its own challenges, but I am not expecting anything more complex than I met on the Frances.
Will I be surprised ? ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@hampshiretim, without knowing what conditions you actually met on the CF, its hard to answer the question. I walked the CF in Apr/May, and the CI in Apr. There weren't the extremes on the CI that were on the CF, but I didn't think there were that many extremes in the first place. Someone who has walked both at similar times of the year to you might be able to offer greater insight into the difference, but as a spring walker, I didn't think there were that many.

Is there really anything in terms of route on the Camino Ingles that is not also similarly found on the Frances ?

I walked the Frances during Nov13 and am planning to walk the Ingles from Dec8th 2014.

I know it will have its own challenges, but I am not expecting anything more complex than I met on the Frances.
Will I be surprised ? ;-)
Hola Tim,
Experience of the Francés is limited to Palas de Rei onward after the Primitivo. If anything I would say that the Inglés has less of many things. Less people but more importantly less in the way of cafe-bars and stopping places. It is essential on some stretches to carry sufficient water and food/emergency rations to avoid problems. This is particularly true between Betanzos and Bruma/Meson do Vento even if breaking that section in two. We made sure to have enough food plus some bread and a tin of sardines as well as fruit and plenty of water, and we needed it.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back