• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Orisson - how long ?

Carle Brisson

I know there are many possible answers to this question but we are planning on staying overnight in Orisson on our first day. We are leaving SJPP on Aug 25.

How long can we expect the walk to take from SJPP to Orisson ? I am 50 and my wife is 45 and we're in pretty good shape - we've done a fair bit of training with our sacks. Our beds are already booked at Orisson so there's probably no need to start out too early ?

TIA

A selection of Camino Jewellery
May be 3 hours or less.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Carle, have you made reservations for Orisson? If you are leaving tomorow call Jean-Jacques now and confirm, he is a very busy man this time of the year and has been know to be so busy that he forgot to pass e-mail communications to his guest book. it will give you peace of mind.

Thanks scruffy1 - I made reservations a few weeks ago and have received email confirmations but I will send off a reminder to ensure that he has us penciled in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks ranthr / falcon269. That's kind of what I expected. Looking forward to it...
I agree. Take your time. Enjoy the beauty of your surroundings. We stayed at Orisson one year ago to the day that you will be staying there. I met people there that I stayed in touch with throughout our journey. Don't try to be the first one out the door in the morning or the last one out the door. If you are the first one out the door, trust me, all you see is darkness for one to two hours. Think of what you may miss seeing. Sometimes if you leave too late you will walk in the afternoon heat and may not get a room at the next albergue. My point is always remember why you wanted to walk the Camino in the first place. Was it to run a race, go hiking or to experience something much deeper.
I can't tell you how much I wish we were there again this year. Enjoy the journey.
Buen Camino

Just before you reach Orisson (after the gite at Hunnto) the trail cuts off to the left and up a steep hill. I chose to continue walking the road (easier gradient) which is about 1.5k longer and it is right below a sanctuary for griffon vultures(?). It was so fascinating I almost (!) forgot I was tired.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In 2012, weather was great and we did it in 2 and half hours. Be prepared to stop, take in the beauty and take some pictures!

Snake .. How difficult was it compared to Orission to Roncesvelles ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's not the long easy climb up the hill to Roncevalle --it's the steep descent that gets people hurt. Long walk uphill is interesting because of horses and sheep along the road. Going downhill is like descending a power line or pipeline on a steep hillside of the Ozarks in Arkansas. Loose rocks, slippery clay when wet, steep grade. I thought the 2nd day was worst!

how
It's not the long easy climb up the hill to Roncevalle --it's the steep descent that gets people hurt. Long walk uphill is interesting because of horses and sheep along the road. Going downhill is like descending a power line or pipeline on a steep hillside of the Ozarks in Arkansas. Loose rocks, slippery clay when wet, steep grade. I thought the 2nd day was worst!
how long did it take you?

Orrison did not seem long and we were actually surprised to be there so soon. We were on adrenaline and talking. The climb from Orisson to Roncevalles was not bad, just steady for a long long way. But, as zin loi said, the descent was tough. Care must be taken, not to pull or strain yourself. It took us about 6 hours from Orisson to Roncevalles. Mind you, we stopped and had a casual picnic lunch along the way. The scenery is spectacular and we stopped several times to view and photo ops. Trust me, we were plenty tired when we got to Roncevalles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It took me 5 hours to walk from SJPP to Orisson on Sept 2, 2013. My journal describes the walk as "gruelling and relentlessly uphill" and "going up and up and up the French side of the Pyrenees!" I arrived on the Camino accustomed to walking for long stretches on mostly level pathways and not so much uphill or downhill. When I watched "The Way" for a second time AFTER I returned home from the Camino I really appreciated the line when the policeman advises Martin Sheen to allot at least 60 days for his pilgrimage since he hadn't done any pre-Camino training. I learned that my physical self needed shorter daily distances than the "33 Stages" model that so many pilgrims aspire to. Once I found my own pace I walked a wonderful Camino (one of the best parts was the meseta) and it wasn't the end of the world that I ran out of time and had to take the train to Sarria in order to have adequate time to walk the compulsory 110 km which I did in 7 days with ample time to spend in Santiago (with Camino friends I'd encountered since Day 1) before I rode the night train to Madrid to catch my return flight to Canada. My revised bucket list calls for another trip to Spain to walk the portions I omitted last fall.

Took us 9 hours to walk from SJPDP to Roncevalle...but that was because we kept taking breaks as we thought that it soon must get hard--Nope! -Just steady easy up hill grade for endless kilometers. We were amazed how quickly we reached Orrisson from SJPDP --thought other hikers were joking with us when they said we had reached it. We did not realize it at the time but a couple days later we found out that a few people, we left Orrisson with, took too many breaks and ended up sleeping on the top of the hill as it was too dark to walk down the trail--no flashlights! They said it had been a COLD night but they all had sleeping bags.

Just before you reach Orisson (after the gite at Hunnto) the trail cuts off to the left and up a steep hill. I chose to continue walking the road (easier gradient) which is about 1.5k longer and it is right below a sanctuary for griffon vultures(?). It was so fascinating I almost (!) forgot I was tired.

I love all the snippets of information this forum provides. Thanks for this one!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It was one of my memorabe parts for me.I was able to leave late morning from St Jean and walked mainly alone until Hunto wre I stopped and had a drink with Phillip Wren the Methodist Pilgrim and sat for several hours just picking his experienced camino brain.
Then a brief walk into Orrison in the late afternoon.

2h:45m for my wife and I, ages 68 and 69 at the time (turned 70 at O'Cebreiro). We're both in reasonably good shape, but not athletes by any means.

2h:45m for my wife and I, ages 68 and 69 at the time (turned 70 at O'Cebreiro). We're both in reasonably good shape, but not athletes by any means.
It is not entirely about the first day. Almost everyone could make it to Roncesvalles the first day. You are filled with energy, and your muscles are fresh.

It is more about payback a week later. Walking all the way to Roncesvalles may result in a sense of urgency that causes you to neglect your feet, or overexercise your body. It all catches up with you a week or two later when you hit the wall. That is when you realize that, if you had started more slowly, you would be much more comfortable now! The Camino Frances is a commitment for a month of half-marathons. The long term factors are probably more important than the short term factors.

There are two considerations; what you could do, and what you should do. One's level of fitness is the most important factor in those considerations, and the correct answer is different for overachievers and sluggards.

like Lise says there are two ways down. I have done both and advice everybody to take the small road down to the Ibaneta Chapel instead of the route steep down through the wood. Continue on the road when the camino turn left. When you leave the chapel on the main road from France, there is a nice path to the left off from the road down to Roncesvalles. Do not think it is so much longer either.

Orrison did not seem long and we were actually surprised to be there so soon. We were on adrenaline and talking. The climb from Orisson to Roncevalles was not bad, just steady for a long long way. But, as zin loi said, the descent was tough. Care must be taken, not to pull or strain yourself. It took us about 6 hours from Orisson to Roncevalles. Mind you, we stopped and had a casual picnic lunch along the way. The scenery is spectacular and we stopped several times to view and photo ops. Trust me, we were plenty tired when we got to Roncevalles.

Sounds less daunting than my perception , will take your advice on the descent , thanks Snake , slow go it shall be .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
2 h 15 minutes to Orisson with about 20 photo stops. I had some food there and continued to Roncevalles that took 4 h 15 minutes with about 20 photo stops on the way. So for me it took 7 hours to get to Roncesvalles including a 30 mine lunch stop and 63 (saved) photos :)

Our beds are already booked at Orisson so there's probably no need to start out too early
Not sure how late you plan to leave SJPDP but, if you expect to get to Orisson late, I'd call and alert them. I've seen reports, I'm pretty sure on this forum, on their giving away reserved beds if they were not claimed by late afternoon.

Also, I'd recommend spending more time, rather than less, at Orisson. Getting to know some of the pilgrims you'll be running into over the next month over a beer or two on the deck there, with its spectacular view, can be a wonderful beginning to your Camino.

Karl

You give me hope! I hope to walk in 2016 when I'll be 68.
We thought we would be some of the oldest walkers, and boy were we wrong. We met several pilgrims in their mid-to-late 70's, and a few in their 80's -- most of whom left us in the dust as they walked by and said "Buen Camino!"

It took me 8 hrs from St Jean to Orission. I have a bum hip and had to take frequent stops to rest . I can say without equivocation that it was the most strenuous event of my life . I'm 68 1/2. ex military 65-69 , hiked the rockies when younger, been planning this trip for 3 years with daily training . Ive experienced difficult situations. St Jean to Orission was THE toughest thing I have ever done . But I made it :) . I had to taxi day two to Roncavelles as I was in much pain . I finally achieved walking to Logrono where sadly I had to stop for the hip and also the knee.
I will most likely have to get a hip replacement before continuing in 2016 from where I left off.

It took me 8 hrs from St Jean to Orission. I have a bum hip and had to take frequent stops to rest . I can say without equivocation that it was the most strenuous event of my life . I'm 68 1/2. ex military 65-69 , hiked the rockies when younger, been planning this trip for 3 years with daily training . Ive experienced difficult situations. St Jean to Orission was THE toughest thing I have ever done . But I made it :) . I had to taxi day two to Roncavelles as I was in much pain . I finally achieved walking to Logrono where sadly I had to stop for the hip and also the knee.
I will most likely have to get a hip replacement before continuing in 2016 from where I left off.
Congratulations for getting that far with your hip condition. Given the circumstances, I'd say you did quite well. I wish you the best with the hip replacement and success when you continue in 2016.
Buen Camino,
Jim

When they give out the info sheets to pilgrims in SJPP, the two routes down to Roncesvalles are described. In 2008 the sheet I got recommended the slightly longer route to the right via a very quiet road. I gather from what friends told me, it wasn't nearly as difficult as the way straight ahead down through the forest.
Margaret

The 7 or so kilometres from SJPDP to Orisson are relentlessly uphill, approximately 100 metres of elevation for every kilometre, or 1/10. People walk at different speeds but I certainly don't dance up that hill. Then another 14 kilometres to the top of the pass also at a 1/10 rate, before the 6 km down to Roncesvalles. It is a tough walk. Most people can do it but it takes courage and determination, one foot after the other. People who say "easy-peasy as falling off a log" give me the ejits. They are to be congratulated on their fitness but it only takes a random reading of camino blogs to see that the majority find it hard.

My wife Linda looked up her iournal and said we walked to Orrison in about 2hrs because we walked to Roncesvalles 7 3/4hrs be careful to turn right though on your way down into RonV because the decent is a killer if you just carry on.

I am very impressed on your behalf: Keep on; Ultreya: Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Having done both routes (Napoleon and Valcarlos) I can say that while both are very doable, it does make for a good day of walking. My second Camino is when I did the Napoleon, and after fortifying myself with a cold beer in Roncevalles, I continued on to Burguete for the night. What a cool little town that is.

According to my diary, it took me 3 hours to reach l' Orisson, that's after heading in the wrong direction leaving SJPP! I was redirected by a local, thank God! The second day proved to be far more challenging for me...I overlooked the option of descending to Roncesvalles by paved road and thought my only route was the steep, gravely trail. I had not yet heard of the technique where you descend a steep slope by walking crossways right to left to right, etc, so headed directly downhill. After my first fall, I was able to get up by myself. On the second fall, three angels came to my rescue, removing my backpack and lifting me to my feet. One of them was named Angelos. My legs were beginning to feel like jelly and the strain of descending was unlike anything I had ever experienced. On my third fall, 2 km from Roncesvalles, I felt like an upside down turtle, unable to move or help myself! I remember thinking: If it wasn' t for the tall trees, some satellite would have caught this image!! Once again, two angels appeared, Jude and her friend Mairi who had chosen to have her pack transported that day. So Mairi carried mine, weighing a hefty 15 kg, the rest of the way with me fretting behind her the rest of the way! At the albergue, the volunteers took me under their wings and carried my pack to my bed. To this day, this remains one of the highlights of my Camino! When help was needed, it was there and continued to be there for the remainder of my 53 day journey. There are angels everywhere!!

Planning on leaving St Jean on 15th April next. I have read that booking Orisson in advance is a must but reluctant to do so in case the Route Napolean is closed that early in the year and have to take the ValCarlos route. Would it be likely to be fully booked at that time of year

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think many of you who were on the camino for the first time and stayed in orisson agree that it was a night to remember because for those who started in sjpdp it would have been the first camino night. The pilgrims menu dinner was good and afterwards everybody introduced himself/herself. Because most people walk just about the same pace, I saw many of theses pilgrims again in Santiago.

Planning on leaving St Jean on 15th April next. I have read that booking Orisson in advance is a must but reluctant to do so in case the Route Napolean is closed that early in the year and have to take the ValCarlos route. Would it be likely to be fully booked at that time of year
We had the same dilemma, but we were assured that we would get our money back if it turned out that the Route Napoleon was closed. That is exactly what happened and we were reimbursed. Jean Jacque, the proprietor at Orisson is very accommodating.

We had the same dilemma, but we were assured that we would get our money back if it turned out that the Route Napoleon was closed. That is exactly what happened and we were reimbursed. Jean Jacque, the proprietor at Orisson is very accommodating.
Thanks for the info. Will book in advance now

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We thought we would be some of the oldest walkers, and boy were we wrong. We met several pilgrims in their mid-to-late 70's, and a few in their 80's -- most of whom left us in the dust as they walked by and said "Buen Camino!"

I was on the Camino Frances this past September and, at age 70, I was not the oldest person I encountered. There was a fellow from Denmark who was 80 and in 2013 I encountered an American who was in his '90's. If your health is good and you don't have any physical problems, age should not deter you.

We are mid to.late 50s. Left sjpdp about 9/10 am
Beautiful walk. Hard because we aren't in the best of shape which would begin to change about day 4 as we became more fit.
Got to orisson about 1 or so.
Too early to check in but a lot of fun sitting on veranda with food and beer and new friends.
Orisson stop ifs a great place to break on first day Plus they serve a delicious group dinner ... highly recommend

the dinner is awesome camaraderie to begin your journey. a sandwich that night to take with you the next morning

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Should say order a sandwich that night to take with you the next day

We are mid to.late 50s. Left sjpdp about 9/10 am
Beautiful walk. Hard because we aren't in the best of shape which would begin to change about day 4 as we became more fit.
Got to orisson about 1 or so.
Too early to check in but a lot of fun sitting on veranda with food and beer and new friends.
Orisson stop ifs a great place to break on first day Plus they serve a delicious group dinner ... highly recommend

the dinner is awesome camaraderie to begin your journey. a sandwich that night to take with you the next morning

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back