• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spreading the camino love

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
In an hour the local church hall will (I hope) be buzzing with people. Credencials and compostelas and maps and paintings adorn the walls. There's a competition with the prize being a tin of Spanish olives. There's a table with every single things we took with us spread out. There are walking stations for kids (and big kids) to practise with hiking poles, to try out our packs and to carry twenty litres of water.
Guidebooks and journals are on display. Along with a cork from a bottle of Rioja wine, little pilgrim figures, a cow bell, a picked-up-off-the-ground metal Baiona waymarker from the Voie de la Nive.
There's a table of tapas, and little bowls of "bar mix" on little tables around the room.
There will be slideshow playing as people arrive...and then we have some extra special pics to show with commentary. "How we found our way" "where we slept" "what we ate" "who we met" and "what it was all about" (the water issue).....interspersed throughout the spontaneous commentary will be eight "LIFE LESSONS" we brought home with us.
The kids are a bit daunted about speaking, but they'll do fine - can't be harder than walking 1,300km can it? (actually, I'd rather walk twice as far than give a talk, but hey, it's got to be done)

I wonder if anyone will come;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sounds great! Have you got a backing tape of people snoring to give an authentic Camino ambiance? (Switch it off while the kids are speaking.) :) Best of luck - they'll come!

In an hour the local church hall will (I hope) be buzzing with people. Credencials and compostelas and maps and paintings adorn the walls. There's a competition with the prize being a tin of Spanish olives. There's a table with every single things we took with us spread out. There are walking stations for kids (and big kids) to practise with hiking poles, to try out our packs and to carry twenty litres of water.
Guidebooks and journals are on display. Along with a cork from a bottle of Rioja wine, little pilgrim figures, a cow bell, a picked-up-off-the-ground metal Baiona waymarker from the Voie de la Nive.
There's a table of tapas, and little bowls of "bar mix" on little tables around the room.
There will be slideshow playing as people arrive...and then we have some extra special pics to show with commentary. "How we found our way" "where we slept" "what we ate" "who we met" and "what it was all about" (the water issue).....interspersed throughout the spontaneous commentary will be eight "LIFE LESSONS" we brought home with us.
The kids are a bit daunted about speaking, but they'll do fine - can't be harder than walking 1,300km can it? (actually, I'd rather walk twice as far than give a talk, but hey, it's got to be done)

I wonder if anyone will come;-)
am sure there will be a great show of interest , best of luck,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Somewhere between thirty and forty people turned up - a large enough number to make the room seem not empty, but few enough that we could talk to each person individually, which was lovely.
The activities went down a treat with competitive boys who had to carry two back packs and forty litres of water at one time! Having a slideshow running as people came in gave those who knew noone else something to look at and talk about with strangers.
The slideshow with commentary was informal enough for people to ask questions as we went, which was great because it meant people were hearing what they wanted to know. The few scripted pieces did not seem forced (as I was concerned they might). Main feedback was that people liked hearing our HONEST account (good and bad) because it gave a sense of reality.
There were lots of laughs - not the least of which from youngest daughter just before she got to her bit where she had to read out the word "bottom" and the anticipation drove her to giggles.
Actually, just in case you're interested, I'll copy and paste the script here (each piece is related to a particular picture) - in another comment because it's too long!

2014 Walk-for-Water Camino: Life Lessons

1) One day at a time: Micaiah
Day 4 of walking and Day 3 of rain. We had talked to a guy who had walked for an entire month in the rain. Every day.
Two and a half months stretched out in front of us. Maybe it would rain every day. It wouldn’t be the first time, would it? But Mum told us to take one day at a time. We should not walk thinking that the rest of even this week might be wet and miserable, we should just walk today, and if it was raining we would be thankful we had good waterproof ponchos. Of course, it WAS raining!

As it would turn out though, our walk – a walk for water, no less – would be bookended by days of rain, but the vast majority would be under clear skies or mist at most.
So on that third day of rain we were not wondering whether every day would be so miserable, but we were able to be amazed at the density of the fog – for part of the day we had only a metre’s visibility – and we were awed by the rain which drove in horizontal sheets like panes of glass across the mountain!

2) We are like machines: Tessa
That’s what I said one day (and that’s me at the top of that hill too)
You are walking, but you are not actually thinking about the walking. Your body just does it. Your legs just keep moving and you don’t even realise it. In fact, if you want to stop you have to tell your legs to stop moving. It’s a wonderful feeling.

3) Preparation pays: Ella-Rose
Before we went away Mum took us on lots of hikes and long walks. One day we even walked from home into Ponsonby and then home again. That seemed a long way at the time. But it meant when we got to Spain it was not so hard to walk long distances and we ended up being able to walk much much further. We met people who did not train and they were sore and aching even if they walked half as far as we did.

4) Push and be surprised: Levi
You’ve been walking for 20 or 30 kilometres every day for the last two months. A lot of the time it’s enjoyable, sometimes it’s hard, but you eagerly rise to the challenge....and then there’s a day when you’ve already done 25km, you know there’s another 7km to go and you think you’re not going to make it. You just don’t want to take another step. Not even one. But you do. Everything doesn’t turn suddenly easy. It’s hard, but you take another. You’re not sure if you’re tired or bored or depressed or exhausted, but you know you don’t want to walk. But you take another step. You still don’t break into a victorious run. You just keep taking one step after another. And eventually you arrive.

5) The power of habit: Rachael/Micaiah
We’ve got to the end of this folder without a life lesson. So here are two examples relating to the power of habit. They are not so much about HOW we found our way, but they are related to this picture.
See those shorts I’m wearing? I wore them every day for three months. (Before you get too upset about that, be assured I did wash them. When you do your washing at 2 or 3pm, and it’s a fine day, it is dry by the evening). Anyway, they have two buttons on the waistband. When I got back home to my comfy old jeans, I kept going to undo two buttons each time I needed to take them off. Hardly profound, but it illustrated to me the power of habit. Micki has another example.
M: Mum had an app on her phone called Strava and it told us how far we walked each day – and how high we climbed and how slowly we did it. We got into the habit of walking for a hundred metres or so and then someone would say, “Have you set Strava?” We hardly ever remembered to set it BEFORE we started walking!

One particular morning we had already taken a very steep descent and covered a full kilometre before the question was asked – and at that point Mum realised the phone was back in the albergue. Usually she charged it at night, but last night had been different – the habit was broken – and so she had plugged it in while we ate breakfast in the morning. Because there was no one around to steal it, she left it plugged in while we packed up – another break in the habit, but we really needed it charged as much as possible because we knew we had a very long day ahead of us and we wanted Strava to record our climb. Because it wasn’t habit to go looking for her phone before we left, but just to look under the beds, we left without it.
Getting it back was quite a drama including climbing back up the steep hill we’d just come down, getting caught in the rain, having a dog bite a hole in my poncho, having someone make a phone call for us to the lady with the key to let us into the building, getting her out of bed early, waiting for her and finally getting away LATE for what would turn out to be a very long day with an elevation gain of over a thousand metres. And that’s the day we had almost no food – but we’ll tell you about that later.

....to be continued....

1-5 in previous comment

6) I don’t want to be a monk: Rachael
I used to think I did, but now I know better. First of all, there’s the cold. The night we slept here in this church we were wearing thermals, plus clothes including socks, gloves and hats. We were inside silk sleeping bag liners which were inside sleeping bags and then there was a positively monastic thick brown itchy woollen blanket on top. And still we froze. To be fair, it was an unusual cold snap and it’s all everyone was talking about the next morning on the trail, but still, it was cold. Then there’s the newly-discovered fact that when I get a good dose of solitude in a day I actually like sitting round talking to people all evening (instead of my usual desperate desire to escape after dinner). We had the opportunity to walk for hours and hours every day, and for a good portion of that time to be either completely alone or effectively alone – everyone walking in companionable silence. At the end of those days I was EAGER to spend time with people, either messaging home or sitting round chatting – in fact some days sharing our experience through writing the blog was so minimal because of the real life encounters with people. I’m not gonna be a monk after all.

7) Sacrifice is not just a nice idea: Levi
Do you remember that day that we left nice and early because we knew it was going to be a long walk, but we had to go back and do an extra couple of kilometres because we forgot the phone?Well, on that day we were looking forward to stopping at a bar in a little hamlet for lunch. Our written guide promised there would be meals there on a Sunday and the thought of hot food in the middle of a rainy day was a good one. The guide also said the bakery in the slightly bigger village we would be in that night was unusually open every day (even including Sunday) so we knew we could get a loaf of bread – that would do for dinner.
Unfortunately we got to the hamlet and there was nothing in the bar. The good news was that we had already walked the hard part of the day so we only had to go a few kilometres along a fairly flat path until we would get to the village with a bakery. So we took our rumbling tummies and plodded off. Unfortunately when we got to the village we found this sign on the bakery door. It means CLOSED.We ferreted around in our packs and came up with a packet of peanuts, six small wedges of cheese and two packets of instant soup. That was kind of OK. It was not much after walking more than 25km over a mountain and having missed lunch but it would do. Except that Mum asked us to consider sharing it with the two pilgrims who we were sharing the albergue with. We knew they had had a cup of coffee and a cigarette for breakfast and nothing else all day. We knew they didn’t have any food either. We struggled at the thought of giving them some of our very meagre rations, but we remembered how we had read that morning about giving to the needy and in the end we thought we should. There was little point walking for water for people far away if we would not share with those who had a need right beside us. At first they would not accept our offer, but we insisted and then they brought out their last three pieces of chocolate to add to the dinner. It still wasn’t very much. Then Paul, the man, suggested we look in the kitchen – there was an old wrinkly carrot in the fridge, so we laughed about making Stone Soup. Then we found half a packet of macaroni – that could go in too. Then there was one more packet of soup, just like our ones so that helped. Suddenly everything looked brighter. There was even half a bottle of red wine which we all shared to warm us up. We were feeling a bit happier about how much food there was, and a lot happier because we were sharing it. Then Paul went out. When he came back he had two loaves of bread. He had gone to the bakery and pounded and pounded on the door until the baker came out (he lived upstairs). He gave us bread and promised to have more ready for breakfast in the morning! This was the best meal we had on the camino.

8) Children are people too: Tessa
On the camino kids have the best of both worlds. First of all people think you are amazing and are always telling you how strong and wonderful you are. They also give you heaps of stuff – chocolate, icecreams, biscuits, spinning tops, necklaces, and badges that other people have to buy if they want one.
But at the same time they don’t treat you like kids. They talk to you the same way they talk to adults. They ask you what you think of the camino, about life in New Zealand, about homeschooling, about charity: water – and they listen to your answers. Then when you ask them questions they would answer without talking down to you.

9) Miracles happen: Ella-Rose
We were walking down this really steep rocky slope. We were going so slowly because it was so steep. It was really hard to walk and it was also really windy. Then I fell. I had fallen one other day, but that day I had fallen on my bottom. This time I went over forwards. My backpack flew up my back and pushed my head forward and my legs came out behind me. Mum thought I was going to roll over and do a full somersault. If I had I would never have been able to stop. It would have been like a ball rolling down a hill – you can’t stop it. But somehow my legs went back down to the ground and I lay there. Mum thinks it was a miracle. I cried.

R: It was a miracle, and we didn’t actually expect one for ourselves. We had embarked on this walk hoping for a miracle for other people, but that day we witnessed a special protection that is nothing but grace underserved. At the end of the walk we had raised over US$8,000 and had raised awareness of charity: water too. We have heard of people donating even after our campaign finished – so we are excited that at least 400 people will have the miracle of water.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Great pieces Rachel and family. Thanks for sharing. I raised £1500 for a local cancer hospice when I walked my first Camino Ingles. It adds an extra dimension to what you are doing and even now people occasionally mention it. Though I must say that I prefer to not have the added burden of expectation when walking longer distances.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes Al, I certainly carried the expectation a little nervously at first - would the kids make 1,000km? Once it became evident that there would (barring catastrophe) be no trouble, I relaxed and the fundraising actually became a very special focus of our journey. But I must say I'm looking forward to taking a really long stroll some day with no expectations attached. BTW, congratulations on your fundraising too - isn't it amazing how complete strangers are so generous?

So happy for you excellent turn out!! And thanks again for sharing the whole thing with us here!! You continue to be a joyful inspiration all!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I feel like my camino is actually over now. I'm just in the process of putting together a photobook with memorable quotes that I captured in my paper journal, excerpts from our blog and of course lots of photos. I'm also crocheting a blanket that is full of our camino colours (with yarn I purchased in Santiago) and I've ended up making a photobook that puts pictures of the blanket side by side with camino photos.....another week and that should be done. We have such wonderful reminders of this journey.
But I find myself dreaming forwards.....

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.