• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

17 days to go!!!

S

Sojourner47

I'm starting from Madrid on Sept 7th - anyone else on the camino around that time?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen camino to you Sojourner47!

I loved the Camino Madrid and I know you will too -

Go well and safely, and I look forward to your posts.

L

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie, I'm probably getting metro to Fuencarral, and starting there.Once again, many thanks for your updates.

I'm amazed that no-one else (or here on this forum) is walking the Madrid at this time.
I shall be a solitary pilgrim, by the looks of it!

Hi, Sojourner,

I do think it's likely that you will come across some Spanish pilgrims -- either on foot or on a bicycle. In May I met two walkers (and walked with them till we hit the turnoff for Valladolid and I wanted to spend a day there), and crossed paths with four or five cyclists. But you are right that solitary is the predominant theme. I was glad I had a book with me, and that I found internet in many of the places.

The beauty of the Camino de Madrid is that it offers many opportunities to interact with lots of wonderful people in the small towns along the way. I found myself going into shops to buy a yoghurt or two and then striking up a conversation with the owner. Or go have a cafe in a bar and wait to see who shows up -- 9 times out of 10, they will ask you what you're doing there (I assume that you, like me, will look very out of place in a small agricultural town of 100 people). I loved it. I think I remember that you speak good Spanish, but even if you speak bad Spanish, it's a great immersion course! There are others who prefer the solitude, and there's plenty of that. But if you want human interaction, all you need to do is ask a question or make a comment and you can be sure that people will respond. Many of the people in these towns have lots of time on their hands and are happy to spend time with you.

I know I've said buen camino to you a number of times, but as you're getting down to the wire, here's one more ! Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks again Laurie - my Spanish is pretty basic but sign language and a smile go a long way....
I'm really looking forward to it :D

Enjoy the planning & anticipation.
I was thinking about my recent trip from Madrid ( just yesterday while walking from Fisterra to Muxia) and I recall the stage to Segovia being quite long. If visibility is poor you need to be alert as you walk the final part of this stage across open ground. Do not let this frighten you.
You 'll have a great Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sojourner,

I found it was necessary to stock up the day before for groceries for lunch the next day as I invariably departed long before the town's shops opened and often did not pass by any other shops during the day. Later, when I was walking with 2 others, we would have our big meal at 2-3pm and so as long as I had an apple and a magdalena of some sort I was good.

And yes, the stage to Segovia is very very long. Gorgeous up until the last 7(?)km when it's just a slog into town. Forewarned is forearmed! I'd advise an early start and a reservation in Segovia. It's a good place to enjoy a night in a cheap hotel and take a rest day the next to enjoy the sights.

I don't know if you read my blog but when I walked the Madrid in May I ended up taking the train to Segovia from Cercedilla the day before, spent the night in a hotel and left the majority of the contents of my backpack in my room. The next day I took the early train back to Cercedilla and was then able to walk over the mountain to Segovia with just my raingear and lunch in my pack. It helped me tremendously as I had not yet gotten fully into shape, and it was lovely knowing already where I was going to spend the night.

Good luck and enjoy!

allison

Thanks Ali - you're to blame really - your wonderful blog inspired me to do the Madrid, along with Laurie's account of her walk.
I'm thinking either the Youth Hostel or Convent in Segovia, and may follow your plan of train and lightweight walk.
Howard

Hi Howard,

I'm honored and I hope you enjoy the Madrid as much as I did!

Buen Camino!!!!

Allison

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sojourner,

You're many days closer than 17...and as a veteran of the Camino are well versed in the many Ways a Camino can impact one's self.

Laurie and Allison provide much solid and encouraging information on this Camino less traveled.

I'm sure many of us are looking forward to your observations and additional lessons learned as you walk the Madrid.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Thanks Arn - I hope to report in, en route, if I can find internet, otherwise will post when I return.
Only 7 days to go now - I'm getting excited and nervous!!!! :D
Howard.
The rucsac has been packed and repacked, the smaller rucsac has been packed and repacked.........!!

Let's see:

(A) Rucsac (lg)... 2 (pack&unpack) x 7 (days) = 14 times

(B) Rucsac (sm)...2 (pack&unpack) x 7 (days) = 14 times

A+B = 28 total times

7 x 24 (hours) = 168 hrs

168 div by A+B = 6 hours

Hey by the time you settle down on the magic load...the equipment will be well broken in and a few extra grms lost due to wear and tear. What a concept!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rucsac B (small) wins the day - after all I've posted on here about packing light, and about, "what on earth are you guys putting in those huge packs?" - I dare not take more than the 20 litre Deuter will hold.... :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.