• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

230.000 pilgrims expected this year

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Time of past OR future Camino
That's what the Arzobispado in Santiago is estimating if we continue with the current rates.

The more the merrier, I guess

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is the celebration of the 1,000 Years Pilgrimage by St. Francis of Assisi and I suspect Pope Francis' current t popularity will be a factor to bring the pilgrimage numbers up. I start in Sahagun in late June 2014 and I've been reading that private rooms in places like O'Cebreiro and Samos have been sold out for while.

we'll be booking more and more in advance at this rate, at least at the private run places. still, it's nice to see the numbers increase even when it is not a holy year. and great for our economy as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Still lower than medieval times! What did Ostabat have in the old days, 20 or 30 pilgrim hostels?. Estimates were 500,000 or more a year.

I just read some interesting information re the actual numbers of pilgrims on the Camino Frances. Apparently the numbers quoted are for those having completed the Camino and have received their Compostela. They are only 10% of the actual number walking each year. So the projected numbers are based on completed walks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just read some interesting information re the actual numbers of pilgrims on the Camino Frances. Apparently the numbers quoted are for those having completed the Camino and have received their Compostela. They are only 10% of the actual number walking each year. So the projected numbers are based on completed walks.
that is true, figures are for compostelas awarded; however 10% seems a bit low. honestly i do not think anyone knows how many people are on the camino. many of the cities and towns on the camino are popular domestic tourist destinations, so you can't gauge by hotel occupancy...
spaniards account for about half of the pilgrims, and to my understanding, the majority only walk the last 100-200 km; meaning you should see more people in Galicia. Likewise, the northern, primitive and plata routes converge with the french one in Galicia.

so does this mean the bed race will be in full flow?

not my idea of how camino should be

shirts back from printers :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can someone explain Olivares' reference to St Francis for me? Francis of Assisi was born around 1181, so we haven't reached his millennium yet by a long ways. I have heard about the special compostela being offered by the Franciscans in Santiago, but that is probably in honour of Pope Francis, no? I am surprised at the recent surge in numbers arriving in Santiago now--things were relaxed, not over-busy in the Oficina when I was arrived a bit less than a month ago. Personally I blame Johnnie Walker for reporting on lower numbers in the first three months (I know, I know, that was weather and a late Easter, surely)! And maybe everyone wanting to meet Amiga Peregrina 2000 in the Oficina too!

The camino in the last couple of days is VERY busy, we live in an "off the guidebook" town and every bed in the pueblo is packed out today-- we have six pilgrims squeezed into space for four.
I am told the bed race is in full swing for those who wish to run it. Our Korean and Hungarian ladies walked from 6 a.m. from Villacazar de Sirga, 12 hours and 35 km. to Moratinos, (Carrion de los Condes, Calzadilla de la Cueza, Ledigos, Terradillos de los Templarios) finding packed houses all that way. They arrived at sunset, found the hostal and albergue full, but were happy to sleep anywhere here, even on a pull-out mattress on the floor. Happily, nobody else showed up!

You walk in high season, be prepared.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is the celebration of the 1,000 Years Pilgrimage by St. Francis of Assisi and I suspect Pope Francis' current t popularity will be a factor to bring the pilgrimage numbers up. I start in Sahagun in late June 2014 and I've been reading that private rooms in places like O'Cebreiro and Samos have been sold out for while.

CORRECTION: IT IS THE 800 CENTENARY OF St. Francis of Assisi Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela (1214-2014)! Thanks Silverton!!!

We decided to stay off stage today at Torres del Rio. They were totally booked out we walked nearly 12 km on to Viana ( total of nearly 37 km) and they were also booked out. We are staying in a hotel, as it was 8pm and too late to walk on to Logrono! There were about another ten pilgrims who were going to catch a bus from Torres del Rio to Legrono. We will be stopping early tomorrow!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Still lower than medieval times! What did Ostabat have in the old days, 20 or 30 pilgrim hostels?. Estimates were 500,000 or more a year.

Newfy makes a good point. I'm off to look at some history.

Oh my! I start walking from St. Jean on May 27th and I am now starting to wonder if I should bring a tent! I am not going to let the "bed race" ruin my Camino. :eek: I have read comments saying not to worry, don't get caught up in it, etc...but it looks like it is reality. With the private rooms and hotels booked up as well, could be this Colorado girl is in for some Camino Camping!! Field of stars here I come and I am ready!:D

Newfy makes a good point. I'm off to look at some history.

Check out The last chapter of James Micheners "Iberia". He calls the camino one of the three or four best trips in the world, and offers a remarkable description of the original pilgrimage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope the SJPdP stretch won't be a rat race by the end of June. That would be a bummer. If it is, I'll be heading North into France instead. I'll have a tent so maybe that will help.

Those pilgrims were probably a lot less demanding. They would have taken whatever lodging was provided - or slept rough. ;)

It's our fault here on the forum. Our enthusiastic comments do attract too many people!
So the camino is a very boring, not spiritual place, too crowded, too long, dirty and dangerous place. And the people are nasty. The movie 'the way' is paid by the tourist industry and gives a false picture.
People should really stay away from it! :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That seems like a lot of pilgrims a year if you consider that the population in Europe circa 1200 was around 16 million. In any case, I am sure the numbers were very high.

Perhaps refugios should move into having small people sleep on top of large people?

Thats Ok with me, Im a big bloke, as long as the other person doesnt mind me snoring, talking in my sleep, fiddling around with items of clothing that are riding high, waking up with a start, mumbling under my breath that I wish I never agreed to this, getting up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet, breaking wind(not too often I may add), as long as they do not mind this and more Im Ok with it.

€46,-
I'm all set to walk from SJPDP to Logrono from the 5th of June. Hopefully that stretch won't be too bad. After seeing this thread I'm considering walking from Irun to Bilbao on the Camino del Norte instead.

That seems like a lot of pilgrims a year if you consider that the population in Europe circa 1200 was around 16 million. In any case, I am sure the numbers were very high.

i have seen estimates of a million. A quick search found this:

". In the 11th and 12th centuries, millions of people from all over Europe made pilgrimages to Santiago. It has been estimated that in the 12th century 10 percent of the population of Europe was involved in making or in some way supporting the pilgrimage to Santiago. In the 12th Century there were so many pilgrims traveling to Santiago that a Moorish emissary traveling to Santiago complained of the delays on the road."

http://www.aromasysabores.com/camino/historical_background.html

". In the 11th and 12th centuries, millions of people from all over Europe made pilgrimages to Santiago. It has been estimated that in the 12th century 10 percent of the population of Europe was involved in making or in some way supporting the pilgrimage to Santiago. In the 12th Century there were so many pilgrims traveling to Santiago that a Moorish emissary traveling to Santiago complained of the delays on the road."

All promoted by the pope in order to generate funds after the Moorish control of Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I don't doubt it, just seemed like a lot. In any case, millions definitely went during the Middle Ages and it may not have been that easy to tell apart the devout Christians from the the adventurers and emigrants from the entrepreneurs from the traders and merchants from the thieves and scoundrels.

Hi,
230,000 seems like a very high number. Let's say 20% walk in the 6 month low season, that means that April to September about 1000 pilgrims a day reach SdC, can that be right?
Anyhow, there were beds available in Astorga, Foncebadon, Ponsferrada and Villafranca over the last four days. No rushing, 7 30 starts and stops for coffee!
Regards
George

Hi,
230,000 seems like a very high number. Let's say 20% walk in the 6 month low season, that means that April to September about 1000 pilgrims a day reach SdC, can that be right?
Anyhow, there were beds available in Astorga, Foncebadon, Ponsferrada and Villafranca over the last four days. No rushing, 7 30 starts and stops for coffee!
Regards
George

Not my number, and yes, about a 1000 a day, especially in late july and august when the spaniards are on vacation and hit the trail

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/2013-statistics-for-the-camino-de-santiago/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year some 215,000 pilgrims registered at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. The number usually increases about 10 - 12% year on year - and I assume so do the number of beds because there are very few reports of pilgrims not finding one!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Then would it be advisable/necessary/possible to make a reservation at Roncesvalles albergue? Im sure all 230000 won't show up in one day, but still... Suddenly 180 beds are not looking like a sure thing

This is slightly off the track of the thread but is Spanish National Day on the 12th October celebrated in a big way? If all goes well we should be around Milede at that time and just wondered if we should make sure we get accommodation beforehand. Thanks

October 12 in Spain is a national public holiday Día de la Hispanidad/ Hispanic Day which celebrates the arrival of Christopher Columbus in the Americas. Since this year it falls on a Sunday many people may take Monday as a holiday also. For more info see this English web site.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Then would it be advisable/necessary/possible to make a reservation at Roncesvalles albergue? Im sure all 230000 won't show up in one day, but still... Suddenly 180 beds are not looking like a sure thing

Only about 7% start in SJPDP and therefore need a bed in Roncesvalles (and some will bypass it). Over 30% start from Sarria. Have a look at the statistics, they are interesting.

You CAN reserve in advance using the email address on the albergue webpage.
However, in season there are additional monastery albergue overflow spaces available; hence, I doubt that you would need to actually reserve. Nevertheless a confirmed reservation would provide peace of mind as you trudge up the Ibaneta pass.
The choice is your's to make!

Margaret Meredith

You CAN reserve in advance using the email address on the albergue webpage.
However, in season there are additional monastery albergue overflow spaces available; hence, I doubt that you would need to actually reserve. Nevertheless a confirmed reservation would provide peace of mind as you trudge up the Ibaneta pass.
The choice is your's to make!

Margaret Meredith

I'll take my chances then! Trying to avoid falling into over-thinking and over-planning trap ))

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll take my chances then! Trying to avoid falling into over-thinking and over-planning trap ))

It's also only a couple of kilometres up the track to Burgette, where Hemingway wrote "The Sun Also Rises". Although Roncesvalles is a not-to-be-missed experience on a first Camino. Going to the church service and getting yourself and pack blessed, sleeping in the albergue with so many other pilgrims, knowing you are in a place that has sheltered pilgrims for nearly a thousand years - that's special.

Last edited:
This is slightly off the track of the thread but is Spanish National Day on the 12th October celebrated in a big way? If all goes well we should be around Milede at that time and just wondered if we should make sure we get accommodation beforehand. Thanks
Except for the city of Zaragoza, it is ignored (businesses will close)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well it is their country and they have holidays ...I always walk in april...by choice...never problems with finding a bed.
My country as well! Just stating a fact regarding pilgrim numbers. In any case, more than half the pilgrims are now foreigners and they tend to walk in spring and summer too.

Absolutely no problem the last 5 nights in Espinal, Pamplona, Puente La Reina, Estella or Torres del Rio.

Some sore feet and joints, but plenty of wine and beer being consumed to keep spirits high

Absolutely no problem the last 5 nights in Espinal, Pamplona, Puente La Reina, Estella or Torres del Rio.

Some sore feet and joints, but plenty of wine and beer being consumed to keep spirits high

Sounds good, hopefully those towns are not too busy when I pass through in 3 weeks time and they have plenty of beer & wine left. ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm planning to be on the Camino by the 12th october too. It's sunday and so nobody takes it into account for their holidays (maybe people from Zaragoza, as Margaret said).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's our fault here on the forum. Our enthusiastic comments do attract too many people!
So the camino is a very boring, not spiritual place, too crowded, too long, dirty and dangerous place. And the people are nasty. The movie 'the way' is paid by the tourist industry and gives a false picture.
People should really stay away from it! :rolleyes:
;) I fear your 'warnings' come too late. LOL!

I don't do bedraces, i walk fast naturally. Last out, first in :p:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just wanted to say that the only time I didn't find a bed between Saint Jean and Finistere was in Olveiroa (and I arrived around 18:30). There was one in the next village though. Are "bed races" created out of nothing?

In fromista tonight, but have travelled from Pamplona. We are staying between the stages and are not experiencing any problems with finding beds.

Apparently, we need a wonderful and inspiring movie or book about Caminos others than Frances. There are so many good, interesting options....

There are many posts and complaints about the Frances being "too crowded", and accommodation becoming a problem. Many people don't know the alternatives, or dismiss them as "non interesting". I think it is a consequence of guides dealing mostly with the Frances, bcs it is more "marketable". Same for movies and fiction books that have inspired many pilgrims (this happened in Germany, Brazil, United States and, apparently, Korea). Now, it is not that I am really proposing a literary marketing campaign...but a "decompressing" of Frances in summer probably would be welcome, and some isolated villages in other regions could benefit from more walkers.

It is actually the 800-year anniversary of St. Francis of Assisi's pilgrimage from Assisi to Santiago and back. He started out in 1213 and reached Iberia / Spain and Santiago de Compostela in 1214. He made the Spanish portion round-trip during 1214 and returned to Assisi in 1215.

Also, the Church and Convent of San Francisco, located at the end of Rua do San Francisco in Santiago de Compostela, is handing out a FREE commemorative certificate. It is NOT a compostela. It is simply a keepsake document in Latin that states that you made a pilgrimage to this holy place to commemorate the 800-year anniversary of the great saint's personal pilgrimage. I note in passing that:
  1. The church / convent is a five-minute walk from the Cathedral, exit the plaza to the right of the Parador as you face it. Walk to the end of the block. You cannot miss it, as there is a 10-meter tall statue of St, Francis just in front of the church / convent.
  2. You enter the church, and proceed to an office located in the extreme left front corner.
  3. There, in a room, is a table with one or more Franciscan monks and as many lay persons writing the certificates.
  4. As of mid-June, they were only giving the certificates daily (7x) from 1000 - 1100, and from 1700 - 1900.
  5. I went at 1140 on a Sunday morning and there were five people ahead of me - so no long lines.
  6. The certificate is on A4 paper and is a heavier weight paper than the Compostela.
  7. You can easily roll the Franciscan certificate into a single "tubo" with your Compostela and Distance Certificate.
This anniversary may be contributory to the increased numbers.

Another, albeit lesser contributing factor may be the recent (in the past 18-months or so) release of the film "The Way" dubbed into French and distributed in DVD format in France. This would logically be reflected in increased numbers of pilgrims from France and Western Switzerland. But I do not have the numbers.

My greatest apprehension / fear is that the Camino Frances will soon become a victim of it's own success. Anecdotal evidence of "completo" signs going up by noon abound, as do problems with obtaining hostal or hotel reservations as the individual pilgrim is increasingly finding themselves competing for finite bed space and rooms against tour groups, organized student trips, and more pilgrims of means who choose to sleep in rented rooms as opposed to albergues. As the numbers increase, and bed space remains constant, the maths do not change... What happens when annual volume for this route hit 250k, or 300k. It can and will likely happen.

The logical thing is to develop additional bed space, either in albergues or independent hostals, in between the current Brierley-inspired "traditional" stages. However, my observations and many discussions with others suggests that the locals will work hard to preserve their business territory as long as they, and their local officials, can hold off additional competition. The fact that you might be able to deliver better services at a more reasonable price is irrelevant to local economies and politics

Clearly, there is a sound business model for a successful albergue, cum hostal, along the Camino Frances. But, while building a modern, feature-rich place for pilgrims to shelter overnight may seem a no-brainer to many of us, one must factor in the local political angle. I postulate that unless you agree to hire all the local mayor's family, or something similar, you would never obtain the many permits and permissions needed to develop a project.

I have now done the Camino Frances twice, in two consecutive years. I can tell you from my experience that 2014 was clearly more busy in terms of finding a suitable place to sleep than was 2013 at the exact same time of the year.

Starting in 2015, I plan to do my annual Camino on a different route. I hope to try a different route each year. As there are so many pilgrim routes leading to Santiago de Compostela from all over the European continent, I shall have more alternative options for Caminos than I have years remaining to take advantage of them.

It will all work out...

Last edited:

€60,-
Many speak of this surge in Pilgrims, as if it is a bad thing. We worry too much about the little stuff. Just go and enjoy the gift's of the Camino.

The Camino will provide and the Spanish entrepreneurs will adjust.

Ultreya,
Joe

Just got back from Santiago and there were 'waves' of tourist groups (30-50 people) parading down the Camino after Sarria. Mind you, nothing wrong with that, just find it odd they do not spread out a bit more. In any case, the more the merrier!

Just got back from Santiago and there were 'waves' of tourist groups (30-50 people) parading down the Camino after Sarria. Mind you, nothing wrong with that, just find it odd they do not spread out a bit more. In any case, the more the merrier!
The point is the Españoles have their vacation now and take the oportunity to walk from Sarria, Tui,Ferrol etc. The Camiño Francès from Sarria is very populair by schools, preparing the new schoolseason and building up teamspirit by walking together

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Walked in May & June. Race for beds all along the Camino. We thought that walkers had priority but found out that priority goes to those with cell phones who make reservations , followed by those on bikes who travel fast. Women from Chile beat the system by quitting walking at 1030 each morning and loafing all day. We walked all day and always found a bed but sometimes that bed was 2 or 3 hours farther than planned. Still think first time hikers should have priority. The open competition for beds was annoying to most walkers. On the other hand, it was not unusual to see hikers still humping their rucks at 2100 or later. Believe a lot of those people slept in fields.

Walked in June and July, none of the above, same for the people I met and walked with. We must've been the luckiest people on the Camino ;) Groups though - there was a group of 100+ kids with teachers who started around Triacastela, overtaking them felt like being in a rush hour subway! All good fun though, and the kids were very polite.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back