• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A black day for the Camino on the Aragones route

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.aragondigital.es/noticia.asp?notid=104347

The Supreme Court authorizes altering the course of Camino de Santiago for the works of the Yesa Dam

The Fourth Section of the Administrative Chamber of the Supreme Court dismissed an appeal not to amend the route of the Camino de Santiago, on the occasion of the increase of Yesa. The justices said they will have to relocate monuments or shrines
Consequently those to be relocated are monuments of cultural interest, such as the chapel of St. James in Ruesta, the hermitage of San Juan Bautista Ruesta, or Ruesta hermitage of Santiago Apostle, and authorizes the redrawing of the Camino de Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
sillydoll said:
... The Supreme Court authorizes altering the course of Camino de Santiago for the works of the Yesa Dam ...
Another example of how Spanish government can throw pearls to the swines. The lake, as it was intended for, has consistently been lacking water. During 2012 the level was so low that people were able to use the thermal waters on the North side. After the first (actual) dam was constructed, these thermal springs had to burble under the water level. Not anymore :eek:
It is a fact that most artificial lakes in Spain are lacking water. Portimarín is one of them. :roll:

Yes, this is sad news!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That is bad news indeed. I really loved the part...
I cannot imagine how they will ever make up for this senseless destruction.

No specific dates given for the start of work but no hope either of any new non destructive decision are mentioned in this recent notice published by Mundicamino entitled Miércoles - 24 abril de 2013 / aragondigital.es El Supremo autoriza la modificación del trazado del Camino de Santiago por las obras de Yesa (Saturday - April 24, 2013 / The Supreme authorizes alter course of Camino de Santiago by the works of Yesa ). See >> http://www.mundicamino.com/noticia.cfm?id=6686

What a catastrophic price for "progress" !

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
what sad news! the route between artieda and ruesta was really beautiful. and the lake will go all the way up to capilla de santiago after ruesta?! that's a long way up. so, the camping will be obliterated too?
I think that first they will have to build the motorway on the north side of the lake because the old road will be submerged. last year the part between leyre and artieda/sigues was still not even started. that might give the opposition another year to try and stop this pointless task. I've passed the lake two times and on both occasions it was a lot lower then planned.

I don´t understand this! Ruesta is HIGH above the watercourse. What possible need could "they" have to remove these buildings? They should have been restored long ago and with the respect which is their due.
Does anyone kniow if the Monastery of Leyre on the other side is in any danger...?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Leyre is well up and away from the proposed reservoir, and Leyre is a monastery and a national monument. Ruesta, on the other hand, is an abandoned village inhabited by a ragtag Communist collective. Who you gonna flood out?

Ruesta is fairly high above the river (the river is about 500m elevation, and the town is about 550m elevation), and sits on A-1601, which will remain open (they have a new bridge for it over the river). The town is abandoned and closed to entry by a chain link fence that is easy to breach. Lots of cars visit each day in season. It probably will not be affected by the reservoir. It has never been clear to me why the town was condemned; it just does not look like a location that will be under water!

Last edited by a moderator:
so, that meands, that albergues in ruesta will stay where they are, I suppose, although I still don't see how the lake will increase as far up as capilla de santiago near ruesta.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back