• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About letting go -

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I will be doing my first Camino in September. I am an organised person, and I have been organising this journey for some time. I like to know what's coming up, and plan for it.

But come the time when I take my first steps from SJPP, I want to let go. I want to let the path take me where it will. I don't want to know what's ahead. I want the way to surprise me. What excites me about doing the Camino is the thought of letting go...

Am I crazy?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I realized on the camino how little control I actually have. Most of it is illusory. I can control my actions, my choices, and my attitude. I cannot control the weather, other pilgrims' actions, bed bugs, hospitaleros, the food, the bed, the terrain, the waymarking, the conversation, etc. (and my children, my wife, my job, my neighbors, my pets, etc.). I found it a very liberating discovery! Just go, and I think you will find liberation comes quite naturally.

You are in control? You sleep with 30 people in the same room and forgot to bring ear plugs or to get your flu shot? You are in control and you get blisters, tendonitis, or Achilles? You are in control and you discover that lomo and merluza and bacalau are not your cup of tea? You are in control and you discover that the first cafe solo or cafe con leche is 14 kilometers down the Camino? You are in control and the church you were dying to visit is open only from 1600-1800? Boy are you in for a surprise!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are human ! Not crazy..
If you can even have this thought about letting go, you are already there :)
Buen camino dear human person :)

fortview said:
You are human ! Not crazy..
If you can even have this thought about letting go, you are already there :)
Buen camino dear human person :)
Thank you Fortview! I'm the kind of person who likes to book ahead, know where I'm eating that night, have everything lined up days ahead, and I hate deviating from my plans. With this, I'm going to wing it. I'm going to set off without knowing what's around the corner or over the next hill. And I'm relishing the thought!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Loving it :D
Have a great time,
Helen

I have been in the risk and control management field all my professional life and would like to think that I am an expert, but coming to the CDS gives me the permission to be irresponsible and free. YES. I just got my plane ticket to Madrid for May 8 and that is the only reservation I am making ahead of time. The rest will be fluid. I have my sleeping bag that will give me comfort when opportunity leads me to sleep under the star filled sky.

Buen Camino!

billbennettoz said:
I am an organised person, and I have been organising this journey for some time.[...] But come the time when I take my first steps from SJPP, I want to let go.
By that time you will not have many options but let go. :wink: You'll love the challenges :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After a few years of enjoying the freedom of early retirement, I have already learnt to let go of a lot. But I am looking forward to the enhanced escapism and "meism" of the camino again. I have given up planning my CF as I have booked my flights and my ride to SJPdP and am now going "To be a river and go with the flow"). :D
I think the Camino is a great experience for anyone in a "strict" environment, is suitable for and has rewards for all (though perhaps not someone with OCD).
Buen Camino
allan

Enjoy your time on the Camino, BUT, the hardest "letting go" you will do is after you are home.
Letting go of the Camino.
In truth you cannot, because the Way becomes part of you, a lovely warm cosy part which is very hard to ignore.
It keeps calling.

Dael,
So, so true...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dael said:
... the Way becomes part of you, a lovely warm cosy part which is very hard to ignore.
It keeps calling.
Thanks Dael. I suspect that will happen. I am already thinking of Le Puy to SdC!
Bill

Hey Bill, I too am from Aus & walking my first Camino in September & wake up some mornings asking if I am crazy. 3 things in common, maybe I will catch you on the trail! :D

Pieces said:
you could even start letting go before you arrived....

Am I crazy ?

Perfect!

Control is an illusion, or, rather, a delusion .... pre-camino it is usually about buying lots of kit and 'planning' (hahaha) how far one will walk each day .....
you do meet lots of people who are still keeping that control thing going - none of them seem happy, none of them seem relaxed, none of them seem connected to the inner ....

go with Pieces or you may go to pieces :lol:

Buen Camino!! :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tanya1 said:
Hey Bill, I too am from Aus & walking my first Camino in September & wake up some mornings asking if I am crazy. 3 things in common, maybe I will catch you on the trail! :D
Haha - I hope so Tanya1. My dates are uncertain because of possible work commitments. I am becoming obsessed with it though! Bill

Not crazy at all; go for it. Just let go. I planned my short walk (two weeks) to the n-th degree with all stops and path in the spreadsheet. However, after the first day and bad foot blisters, all I could think about is getting to the next stage and rest. And, after my smartphone was stolen, all I could do was just follow the others to the next albergue. Once I was free of my phone and the rigid schedule, the Camino became enjoyable.

Hey Bill, I completed my Camino (Sept-Oct, 2013) with no guide book. I had only this list of pueblos/cities and distances http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances and the "All" the albergues spread sheet from this forum. I did get lost a couple of times, but "Camino Angels" (Spaniards) would appear and get me back on "the way". One rainy morning in Villafranca del Bierzo I came to a road that was not marked with a yellow arrow. Right or Left? I went to the right. A short ways down the road I came upon an old couple each carrying umbrellas and their groceries in tow in a small cart. I am sure they just wanted to get home and out of the rain, but they both started shaking their heads and saying "Santiago NO." They went out of their way to walk with me in the right direction and to the turn to get me back on "the way." After I thanked them I headed down the road and looked back over my shoulder to see them watching me and making sure I was headed toward Santiago. They were so kind/so genuinely concerned about me. I made it all the way from Roncesvalles to Santiago without a guide book. As Jnlee99 said, "Just let go." The Camino will provide. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the North route this spring, with no guide book, other than a very basic one from the Spannish tourist office. I left the mobile at home, and only used the internet about once a week, which allowed the camino to unfold spotaneously. It turned into a great experience which allowed for many experiences which I hadn't planned for or anticipated. Just be open to whatever comes along and you will have a far better time than one spend following a predetermined routine.

Im your exact opposite i hate to plan ahead and i only get stressed if i have to mutch planned ahead.
I have been thinking about doing my first Camino this summer with no guidebook or gps,smartphone no nothing other then what i really need.

Planned on travelling extremly light with nothing but the essentials and no predetermined stages. I will walk as far as my legs will take me each day.
Guessing i will meet some interesting people during my walk anyway and no freedom to adjust stages to their pace if i want to walk with them for a day or two with predetermined stages.

I have 5 weeks of vacation to do it in that shuld be enough if i do not get really really lost :)
My one and only worry about this whole thing is to get really far away from the trail if i take a wrong turn somewhere and not being lucky enough to bump into a trail angel to point me in the right direction.
( + The heat Snowmen do not do so well if its really warm :) but with enough water i will endure )

But i have no choice but to do my Camino at any other time then during the peak summer months Juli/August.
Have to take out 2 weeks of vacation from my job then and i do not think i will be able to make it all the way to Santiago i 3 weeks so peak season it is then.
But then it will probably be more pilgrims on the trail and harder for me to get lost :)

How bad is the there heat in Juli/August really ?
Only to mutch mid day or are early mornings and evenings hot too ?

Hi Snowman and welcome to the forum. I assume that you are talking about the Francés and will answer accordingly.

I use to be a planner, wanting to control everything. As I have matured (i.e. gotten older) I have found it very liberating to let things unfold without too much input. On my second day of my first Camino I threw out the list of stages I thought I would do and just walked every day until I wanted to stop. This was usually farther than most as I also walked in the afternoon when most had stopped. In the end there were only a couple of days between SJPP and Finisterre which were planned because I wanted to stop at a particular albergue. This way of walking I can imagine is not for everyone but it worked well for me.

I love warm/hot weather and do not have problems walking in July and August, in fact I walked from Sevilla also in July. The Francés can be quite warm (30c+) in the summer and many find the Meseta difficult due to limited shade. Mornings tend to be cooler (I usually started off by 6 a.m. and wore a light fleece for the first hour). My experience is that the afternoons do not cool off that much. Of course it will be much cooler and downright cold at night in the mountains (O Cebreiro, Foncebadon). Remember that you will be crossing northern Spain so temps will vary from region to region. I was luckily that I didn't have one drop of rain the entire way. In fact in my 4 times I have only encountered 1 day of rain.

Go for it! I don't know your physical condition but you should have lots of time to get to Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Time shuld not become an issue i think ? plenty of time with 5 weeks.
My physical condition shuld not be a problem im still under 40 years old and i still train a martial art twice a week so my body shuld be up for it ?
I am however not an experianced walker and i have no clue how my legs will react on daily long walks ?
But i think i can have a rest day or two if needed and there is still plenty of time to go for some long walks to get my legs used to walking before summer comes.
but i will save that for the spring long walks in subzero temperature dont seem my ide of fun.

Sounds good. The truth is that we never know how our bodies will react to the day in, day out of walking the Camino until we actually do it. But I am constantly amazed at what our bodies (and minds) are capable of doing once we decide to do something.

I found the first day and night surreal. After that, I just let it unfold. About the 3rd or 4th day, I realised that a rhythm was developing. And then, I was able to begin to relax and let go. While I enjoy planning and reading about a trip, it doesn't have to stay on any kind of schedule. It's fun to begin the experience before you get there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My physical condition shuld not be a problem im still under 40 years old and i still train a martial art twice a week so my body shuld be up for it ?
I am however not an experianced walker and i have no clue how my legs will react on daily long walks ?
But i think i can have a rest day or two if needed and there is still plenty of time to go for some long walks to get my legs used to walking before summer comes.
but i will save that for the spring long walks in subzero temperature dont seem my ide of fun.
Snowman, I don't know where you live and if you mean 0 C or 0 F. I have been hiking in the low 20's F and have enjoyed it greatly. I wear merino wool layers with a very light goose down jacket and wind resistant pants. Also I wear a skull cap with reflective liner. By the time I have hiked a couple miles I am plenty warm and start unzipping things a bit.
Of course the wind is a factor unless I am in the woods but you may find it is more fun than you expect!
Stefania

Yea sorry about that how could you know what i ment when i did not mention it :)
But im from Finland so i ment Celcius.

Yea sorry about that how could you know what i ment when i did not mention it :)
i live in northern Sweden and during my project #365mil (3650 km outdoor activites as walking, cykling, running, kayaking during a year) I had to go out and walk in -35 C some days to not fall behind in my schedule to much. But with proper clothing it can be really nice. Crispy air, the crunch under your feet against the snow, silence. Maybe you should try it? With a backpack and something hot to drink.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
- 35 C brrr that sounds a bit too extreme for me :)
I do a little bit of cross country sking but i never head out if it is below - 15 C but perhaps i shuld try it somtime guess i will have the track all to myself atleast :)

sounds like you are in a good fit shape. However, walking day-in-day-out for so many days will bring out weaknesses you might not have thought of, or have experienced before. I am used to walking/hiking before the Camino, and had all my gear (including boots) for least a year prior, but after first day of walking I had very bad case of foot blisters at the bottom of my foot (never had this before). It was very painful - and without the help and assistance from other pilgrims it would have been the first and last day of my Camino. My recommendation is to wear the most comfortable shoes you can find. If you feel even little bit unconformable, make sure you resolve that in your footwear before you go. You know what they say about grain of sand that turns into a boulder if you walk on it long enough. It's true on Camino!

Hola,

Letting go can be a hard thing to do, as the whole concept, in my experience, normally has ties to habits or routines as well as often it is connected to strong emotions.
To just let go can mean to stare at empty void, which can be terrifying.
To try to substitute something with something else, can make it easier.
Then what you are letting go of, is the vehicle of gaining something new.
And that new may be a refreshing way to define oneself.
To surprise oneself, do what one thought was impossible, can have a life changing affect.
I hope I make sense.

Buen Camino,
Lettinggo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On continuation of the "letting go" theme, I heard a fictitious story awhile back that goes something like this: Person was walking around the hills at night, slipped and started to slide down a very steep hill. Luckily he was able to grab a hold of a tree root but still too steep to climb back up. He asked his god to help him, and heard a voice that told him to let go! Of cause, he did not let go since all he saw was the deep darkness all around him. After full night of of hanging on to the tree root for dear life, the sun came up. He felt brave enough to look down expecting a long drop to abyss underneath him. He was only few inches off the ground! He should have listened to the answered prayer, and just let go :)

Hey Snowman, welcome to the forum!! Met two lovely people from Finland this past summer on our Camino, Tove, and her aunt Rita! Still in touch with them. Rita was 60+ and had no problems walking at all. Your legs will get tired the first few days to a week, but they will get used to it and the walking will not be an issue. Even the backpacks became a "part" of you, and felt more awkward when you weren't carrying it :)

I will be doing my first Camino in September. I am an organised person, and I have been organising this journey for some time. I like to know what's coming up, and plan for it.

But come the time when I take my first steps from SJPP, I want to let go. I want to let the path take me where it will. I don't want to know what's ahead. I want the way to surprise me. What excites me about doing the Camino is the thought of letting go...

Am I crazy?
We "planned" our Camino by buying an airline ticket to Paris, train ticket to Bayonne, and hotel stay in Bayonne. After that it was all by the "seat of our pants" as we say in the US. Even after returning home, I have learned to let go of a lot of things, and just go with the flow: Deciding to see a movie 10 minutes before it starts, my wife meeting me at work to go out for lunch, etc. The only thing we have not let go of is the Camino. After hearing several people talk about their 3rd, 4th, 5th Camino, my wife said "Why?" This is a "once in a lifetime trip", why would you do it again and again? Well we are already talking about going back for another, and we have been home less than 3 months :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We "planned" our Camino by buying an airline ticket to Paris, train ticket to Bayonne, and hotel stay in Bayonne. After that it was all by the "seat of our pants" as we say in the US. Even after returning home, I have learned to let go of a lot of things, and just go with the flow: Deciding to see a movie 10 minutes before it starts, my wife meeting me at work to go out for lunch, etc. The only thing we have not let go of is the Camino. After hearing several people talk about their 3rd, 4th, 5th Camino, my wife said "Why?" This is a "once in a lifetime trip", why would you do it again and again? Well we are already talking about going back for another, and we have been home less than 3 months :)
I've been back for couple of months now, and starting to get itchy about going back as well. I need to look into my own advice of letting go, and take it.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.