• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation between Orisson and Roncesvalles

Geetha Thomas

Time of past OR future Camino
in september 2014
We were planning to stay at the albergue in Orisson. Just found out it is completely booked on the day we wanted in September. Huntto seem to be too close to St John. Is there another accommodation between Oriison and Roncesvalles since we think it will be too hard to walk from St. John to Roncesvalles in one day?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We were planning to stay at the albergue in Orisson. Just found out it is completely booked on the day we wanted in September. Huntto seem to be too close to St John. Is there another accommodation between Oriison and Roncesvalles since we think it will be too hard to walk from St. John to Roncesvalles in one day?

I was planning to stay there but can't find website or email address........... sounds like I'm going to be out of luck as well.
I'm leaving end August and was under impression it was not possible to book in advance.
I agree SJPD to Roncevalles looks a big call

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Website for Orisson http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/reservations-for-orrison.12530/

I was planning to stay there last year and had booked accommodation, but in the event decided to carry on walking to Roncesvalles. It was hard going, but not a major problem. I was then 59 and it was my first experience of hiking. As far as I am aware there is no accommodation between Orisson and Roncesvalles other than a small hut. If you want a taste of the surroundings take a look at my blog post for that day .
Buen camino!

If you're not committed to going "over the mountain" there's always the Valcarlos route with an overnight half-way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I saw in photos they had tents outside, but when I asked and wrote they do not, and do not allow for tents to set up.

We stayed at Kayola which is after Hunto and before Orisson. It has a kitchen, but we walked the 800 metre to Orisson for our evening meal and had breakfast there the next morning. They also had lunches available for purchase. You book Kayola through Orisson.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's a tough walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles, but it is very doable in one day. I walked it with several heart conditions, and we still reached Roncesvalles at 4 pm. My son had to wait for me quite a bit on the uphill portion. Whatever you do, if you plan to stay in Roncesvalles, make sure you have cash for their 10 euro per person. There are no cash machines in Roncesvalles and they don't take credit/debit cards.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the Route Napoleon between SJPDP and Roncesvales there are three places to stay; Hunto, Kayola and Orison.

Hunto looks too close to SJPDP but believe me, is still worthwhile. Those kilometers are all straight uphill. It's an excellent alternative to trying to walk all the way. It also works well if you don't want to stay at SJPDP at all - I've walked directly to Hunto from the train. Or if you want to enjoy SJPDP (especially market day) and leave late.

Here's the website:

http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

Hola

There are a few shelters for emergency use by people in distress, caught by weather, injuries or night fall.
Obviously they should not be planned stops as they have no facilities.

Buen camino
Lettinggo

I saw in photos they had tents outside, but when I asked and wrote they do not, and do not allow for tents to set up.
The Orisson refuge has their own tents that they rent out but those come under the same recommendation to reserve ahead of time, if possible.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think they rent the tents, but they do not reserve them.

I read somewhere that when they opened Kayola they stopped renting tents. I have no idea myself having not left on my first Camino yet, just read it somewhere. Hope that helps!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the info everyone! So much positivity here....how can you not love this site :)

We had to stay at Huntto because Orisson was closed (we were walking in January) but even though it was perishingly cold we made it to Roncesvalles, very tired but ok. If you are "averagely" fit it will be manageable.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back