• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on tents please

Charliemag

Time of past OR future Camino
I am hoping to cycle the route from arún to Santiago with a friend some time this summer. Can anyone advise me as to where we could hire two bicycles for the journey? Thank you.
I am planning my third trip to the camino and this time I want to bring a tent so that I can walk as far as I feel like and then just stop and camp. This is something I would like to do maybe every 3rd or 4th night as I do enjoy the camaraderie of the albergues. I would appreciate any informed suggestions on makes/types of tent available. The weight would be very important for me. It has to be as light as possible while still retaining quality. The other big reason for wanting to camp is because I am a light sleeper and the constant snoring and general moving of other peregrinos wakes me up a lot during the night and this had led to me getting very fatigued.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love my Big Agnes UL2 because it is easy to set up and take down, compresses into a small sack and weighes very little.

http://www.zpacks.com - full featured tents with packed weights (including groundsheet/floor & stakes) from 15.9 ounces / 451 grams...

This is excellent advice. If you are looking for the lightest and most well-designed tent, definitely check out Zpacks.

Also take a look at the tents made by Six Moon Designs which are also fabulous.

I backpack regularly with a Vaude Power Tokee UL (928 grams including hard-ground stakes). This model is no longer made but comparable models still exist.

You might also consider a Golite poncho/tarp which would serve double duty as rain protection when walking and as a tarp. Since you will only be sleeping outdoors every few days, whenever you feel like it, this might be the most economical and weight-conscious option. (Along with the $60 Poncho Tarp on that webpage there is a tent weighing only 700 grams and it costs only $150. Another economical option.)

Have a wonderful trip beneath the stars. :) :)

Hilleberg makes good tents.
http://www.hilleberg.com/

The lightest tent on the Hilleberg website weighs 1.7 kilos so this option would unfortunately not fit with the OP's requirements.
"The weight would be very important for me. It has to be as light as possible while still retaining quality."

The Hilleberg tents look good, however, and I always prefer to buy from family-owned companies such as this one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Force Ten make good lightweight double skin one man tents similar to the Vaude Tokee, the Helium or Helium Carbon 100. My Helium Carbon weighs a kilo on the dot with pegs and has a very small footprint and internal rather than external guy lines. That said I agree with the poncho/tarp idea if you will only be using it every 3 or 4 nights.

Hi, Charlie. Best tent I could find, when I researched this a couple years ago was Tarptent. I have the Sublite model. It weighs 20 ounces, including stuff sack and stakes, and fully zips to keep bugs and rain out. You can use your walking sticks as tent poles or buy two poles that adds 4 ounces of weight. I've done both. I think this is a fantastic little shelter. Smart design. Made in the USA. Check it out:
http://www.tarptent.com/index.html

I thought about doing what your gonna do. I would for sure go with a lightweight Big Agnes (scout, probably), but....i also really likes the hexamid duplex from Zpacks.

Let us know what its gonna be. Very curious, especially if you would go for a big agnes :)

When are you going? This maybe also important for tent choice

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have 2 very light weight tents. One is the Nemo Obi 1 Elite at 29 oz. I'll use that on bike trips. For this trip I acquired a Six Moons Designs Wild Oasis at 13 oz. I don't think it would serve well in a very hot climate as it does not breathe well, but I believe it will do well on the Camino. It's designed around the pyramid shaped shelters. No floor, very light, uses a trekking pole.
When do you begin walking? Maybe we should meet up to camp and share morning coffee.

This is excellent advice. If you are looking for the lightest and most well-designed tent, definitely check out Zpacks.

Also take a look at the tents made by Six Moon Designs which are also fabulous.

I backpack regularly with a Vaude Power Tokee UL (928 grams including hard-ground stakes). This model is no longer made but comparable models still exist.

You might also consider a Golite poncho/tarp which would serve double duty as rain protection when walking and as a tarp. Since you will only be sleeping outdoors every few days, whenever you feel like it, this might be the most economical and weight-conscious option. (Along with the $60 Poncho Tarp on that webpage there is a tent weighing only 700 grams and it costs only $150. Another economical option.)

Have a wonderful trip beneath the stars. :) :)
I just acquired a Six Moons Designs. They are indeed a small operation out of Beaverton, Oregon.

Apologies to the OP if this comment arrives too late but just in case others are interested in taking a tent...
I took a Terra Nova Laser Competition, weighs less than 1kg and was perfect. Used my poncho as an additional ground sheet underneath but not strictly necessary. My walking companion had a Hilleberg Akto, also extremely good, possibly more sturdy but it was just a bit too heavy for me. Unfortunately, neither are cheap !
Happy camping!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning my third trip to the camino and this time I want to bring a tent so that I can walk as far as I feel like and then just stop and camp. This is something I would like to do maybe every 3rd or 4th night as I do enjoy the camaraderie of the albergues. I would appreciate any informed suggestions on makes/types of tent available. The weight would be very important for me. It has to be as light as possible while still retaining quality. The other big reason for wanting to camp is because I am a light sleeper and the constant snoring and general moving of other peregrinos wakes me up a lot during the night and this had led to me getting very fatigued.

Hello Charliemag,
Have you considered a bivibag? Can't get any lighter than that my friend. Good quality, wind proof and waterproof if you get the correct one. Try a Google search and see what you come up with. With a waterproof bag for your pack to be placed outside the bivibag whilst you sleep, might do the trick for you?
Buen Camino

Tartptent makes very light and good quality tents at a decent price. Zpacks makes unbelievably light high quality gear.

We have a tarptent tent and zpacks packs and jackets. If you can afford it, go zpacks all the way

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.