• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Age old question - Water on the Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In nearly every single village you pass, there will be a fountain where you can fill up your water bottles.
I carried one 1-liter bottle and never ran out.

The water is "potable" unless is says "no potable," and be careful, because on rare occasion, there will be TWO spigots side by side, one labeled "potable" and one labeled "no potable." But I only saw that twice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year I walked from Lourdes to Santiago. Every day I set out with 1.5L of water in a bladder in my rucksack from the tap from whatever albergue I had been staying in, usually from the bathroom tap, and also a small bottle originally obtained "free" in my couchette on SNCF. Along the way I filled up from any tap along the way. I never worried too much whether it was proclaimed to be potable or non-potable. I certainly very often drank water which was labelled as non-drinkable, because I felt it was telling me it was not "certified" drinkable, rather than telling me not to drink it. I found myself unwittingly drinking water from the fountain issuing into the footbath in the very nice municipal albergue in Astorga, somewhat to the alarm of those watching (who politely said nothing) as there was a sign saying no beber agua which I only saw afterwards!
I NEVER bought bottled water - not once!
I NEVER was sick!
I am a (retired) physician, and I do not underestimate the problems of water-borne diseases: I have lived mainly in Africa for the past 20 years.
I think the risks on the camino are low, and I think you will have no problem at all finding adequate supplies of potable water along the way (if you are "picky"!)
Also I NEVER had any problem with bedbugs - although I often have in rural Africa.
Tim

Thanks Annie - you could be right!
I'm in California at the moment and I find the warnings about rattle snakes, mountain lions, bears, ticks and poison oak in the park at the top of the road much more worrying than anything in Africa or on the Camino!
Tim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I grew up there.
The rattlesnakes are probably still in hibernation.
Of the rest, the only one I'd be REALLY worried about would be the poison oak!

That stuff hates me!

Anniesantiago said:
In nearly every single village you pass, there will be a fountain where you can fill up your water bottles.
I carried one 1-liter bottle and never ran out.

The water is "potable" unless is says "no potable," and be careful, because on rare occasion, there will be TWO spigots side by side, one labeled "potable" and one labeled "no potable." But I only saw that twice.

Thank you, this is good news

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
After catching some kind of stomach bug while walking last year, I started adding lemons to my drinking water. Half a lemon to half a litre seemed to work well. Just slice it up enough to easily get the lemon out of the bottle when it comes time to wash it at the end of the day. Adding lemon also seemed to help keep me hydrated too. I just added the lemon in the morning (peel and all) and topped up the water in each of the 500ml bottles I carried as I'd pass a fountain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
if you're unlucky, you'll get a bug but wont know for a week or two...
i guzzled all the way to burgos, fountains of cool water, signs permitting of course, but none the less i think it was round hontanas that people started getting struck down...it wasnt pretty. & i got my turn.
burgos saw me in a state i'd rather not detail, an awful night with sound effects, & was unable to eat a proper meal for two weeks...
i continued walking cos, well, whats a pilgrim to do? lie in some bed & feel sorry for oneself?
no thanks
but it was rough
on the plus side, i lost 10kgs! & when i finally got round to feeling hungry - it was a lamb chop with eggs & salad, side of fries & i swear i never tasted anything quite so good as that. who needs a diet plan lol
seriously tho, going into #3rd camino this spring, it'll be the water bottle approach for me
bottoms up!
buen camino

Silver is an antimicrobial. Cowboys used to keep a silver dollar coin in their water canteens to get rid of bugs.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back