• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Oloron St Marie

adeczka13

Camino Karma
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino Aragones - Frances - del Salvador - Primitivo - Frances 2014 (55 days)
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

I am starting my next camino in Oloron st Marie (on Aug, 14) and I will arrive in the late afternoon, so I was thinking about making a reservation in an albergue-- which I normally never do, but I thought it would be nice to have a bed booked after travelling since 4:30AM that day. :)

I've been reading posts in this forum, but many on them are something like 5 years old and I can't find enough information.

Could you tell me which albergue in Oloron is worth choosing for the first night :)? Anyone has their favorite one?

It's only 46 days until I leave, back on the Camino after two years :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed in a chambre d'hôtes just on the outskirts. I don't recall a Gite. When in France we book ahead.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed in Relais du Bastet last year. I think it was very nice. There was a number posted on the door to call if you arrive and no one is there yet. They will give you a code to get in. Your room number will be posted on the wall and you can go to your room before the host arrives. The bathrooms were nice and the kitchen was well equipped and clean. I would not hesitate to make a reservation there.

Thank you for all replies :)

We also stayed at a great chambre d'hote
Hi, We also stayed in a great Chambre d'hôtes, Amphitryon, right on the Chemin in the upper old town. Great spot and great hosts. www.amphitryon-Oloron.com As Kanga said, be sure to book it ahead. Enjoy your Chemin. It's a great walk over the Somport Pass and on to Santiago. Dayton and Karen.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am thinking of walking June 28- July 5, just a week in France to Jaca and wonder which pass to take -Portalet or Somport. I am flying into Paris andtaking train to Oloron Ste Marie. Is it a good walk and easily marked to follow? Any suggestions for stays along the way? If advised, where to make reservations? I plan to walk 1o or 12 miles max / day.
I walked the camino Frances in 2006 - SJPP to Santiago so want to walk some of the Arles route or Aragon route.
route maps for these would help
Thanks

Is it a good walk and easily marked to follow? Any suggestions for stays along the way? If advised, where to make reservations?
It is well marked considering there really is only one way to go -- up the river valley. Accommodations are regular but with few spots between the standard stages. All seemed good to me, and, yes, calling ahead is a good idea. There are good guides in French, which I would suggest buying. There is a Miam Miam Dodo and a Randonneur guide.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2916446443/

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2751407250/

It is well marked considering there really is only one way to go -- up the river valley. Accommodations are regular but with few spots between the standard stages. All seemed good to me, and, yes, calling ahead is a good idea. There are good guides in French, which I would suggest buying. There is a Miam Miam Dodo and a Randonneur guide.

Thank you! These will test my French! Good to know there are guides though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks again for the tips. one big question my husband is concerned about walking too close to roads.
how is the way walking over Somport from Oloron to Jaca? is there lots of road walking? would like to know if this is a quiet way and the landscape from another pilgrim's experience?

There is a lot of road walking, some a bit dangerous. The quiet path through the woods is nice in dry conditions, but in wet conditions, it is slippery, and a fall can end in the river or the barbed wire above the river! Bypassing it on the road is harrowing. The last few kilometers before starting the ascent to Somport are considered dangerous. The French walking group actually recommends taking a bus for a couple of kilometers to avoid it. Their drama is as much about getting money for a new path as it is about the actual danger, but it is on the shoulder of a high traffic road, and far from ideal.

There is a lot of road walking, some a bit dangerous. The quiet path through the woods is nice in dry conditions, but in wet conditions, it is slippery, and a fall can end in the river or the barbed wire above the river! Bypassing it on the road is harrowing. The last few kilometers before starting the ascent to Somport are considered dangerous. The French walking group actually recommends taking a bus for a couple of kilometers to avoid it. Their drama is as much about getting money for a new path as it is about the actual danger, but it is on the shoulder of a high traffic road, and far from ideal.
Thanks for the reply!
I was hearing about the dangerous road and we prefer a more quiet walk

We may consider le chemin d'arles
Around toulouse

Hard to get good info so this forum is very helpful

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
we prefer a more quiet walk
The river valley is not real wide, so there are not many options for a route. Most of the road walking is along quiet side roads. The two dangerous stretches are tolerable when walked with caution. An hour or two out of Oloron is where the path is through the forest laterally along a fairly steep incline to the river. My first time through it had been raining a lot, and the mental tension of the slippery hillside was worse than cautiously walking the road, so we left the hillside for the road at the first opportunity. A morning horseback rider had left some serious gouges in the path from sliding. He must have been a very skilled horseman to have survived!

Falcon, I will be walking from Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Logrono via Somport late May and early June. Can you name the village(s) with bus stop(s) where this recommended deviation should be used. I have walked the CP and absolutely hate sharing my space on high traffic roads.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Falc, thanks so much for the advice and the bus schedule. After studying the profile of the climb I was concerned before you mentioned the road walking and considering my dodgy foot I think walking as far as Lescun or Urdos might be my limit. We'll see. I'll celebrate you when I make it to Laguardia and savor a few cups of vino tinto from la Rioja.

From Urdos you can take the bus through the tunnel, past Canfranc, and up to Somport. From there you can walk down to Canfranc. You will miss a climb that makes Roncesvalles pale in comparison! That is not a bad thing, by the way, particularly if there has been recent snow.

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back