• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Tres Cantos

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
Some informations on the internet says that there is an albergue in Tres cantos some says that there isn´t.
When I walked in june this year I couldn´t find one. I stayed in a hotel.
When you like me start from Puerta del Sol it´s a nicer first day if you walk to Tres Cantos instead of walking 35k to Colmenar Viejo.
Has anyone seen an albergue in Tres Cantos?

Roger from Sweden

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hei Rog, fint aa se en notice fra "soeta bror". No we didn't see a ref in Tres Cantos but we walked the Madrid in 2007! We also thought it was too far from the Puerto del Sol to Colmenar so we simply took the train back to Madrid from Tres Cantos, spent another night in our flophouse near the Plaza Santa Cruz and then caught the train back to Tres Cantos next morning, walking from there to Manzaneres. We didn't miss an "inch" of the Camino and we like our Madrid flophouse so all went well. Did you get your stamp from the Church of Santiago near the Almadena?
Best,
Kari and Kev

Yes - there is an albergue in Tres Cantos. Here is what a pilgrim wrote to me recently:

"Tres Cantos: I thought it worthy to mention that there is a variant of the camino that starts at San Sebastián de los Reyes, where I joined it, and is about 20 km from Tres Cantos. It's also a really nice walk along the wall of the Dehesa Boyal and the Soto de Viñuelas. I stayed in an albergue in Tres Cantos, in the basement of the Ayuntamiento, free of charge, with two beds although I think there may be more. There is a coffee machine there for 50c a coffee, useful for breakfast. On the down side, you have to leave by 6.30 (!), for some unexplained reason. This led me to get lost as it was dark when I started walking. When you turn left off the red bike track I didn't see that you then have to immediately take a track on the right, and not go straight on along the track marked as "via pecuaria". "

Buen camino

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Camino de Madrid in 2010 and walked the first day from the Plaza de Castilla in Madrid to Colmenar el Viejo, where there definitely is not an albergue. So, for those who want a Day 1 albergue and who are going to start in Madrid, Tres Cantos is the place to stop.

From central Madrid (specifically the church of Santiago) to Tres Cantos is 23 kms. (walking from the Church to the Plaza de Castilla is a good short warm-up walk, about 8 kms, I think, through central Madrid -- I did that on my arrival day into Madrid after getting my sello at the Santiago church)

From the Plaza de Castilla (northern edge) to Tres Cantos is about 17 or 18.

I have a friend who lives in Tres Cantos and she has confirmed that the albergue in the Ayuntamiento (town hall) continues to be open to pilgrims. The only problem seems to be that the time of opening varies and seems to be unpredictable. One pilgrim who walked through last year was told he couldn't get in till 11 pm. Others have gotten in earlier.

But I did want to echo the pilgrim warning in the message John posted. If you're walking from Madrid, the Camino doesn't actually take you into the town of Tres Cantos. There are two pedestrian overpasses that will take you over the highway into town if you want to stop. When you pass the second one of them, be particularly alert. I made the mistake the pilgrim describes -- there is a sharp turn to the right, where your instinct and the wide earthen path suggest you should keep straight on on the "via pecuaria" (livestock trail). In late spring, this was all very pretty with lots of green growth, babbling brooks, etc.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi!
I wonder if there's any news about this albergue? Will it be open 2013?
I looked up "Ayuntamiento de Tres Cantos" at google maps on my phone and it said it was at Av de Vinuelas 26. A big brown brick building, perhaps 1970-1980's something. Does anyone knows if that is the right address?
And, can anyone recommend a hotel/hostal or something in Tres Cantos? Just in case I can't find the albergue or if it's closed. The ones I found were rather expensive. Nothing for a poor and dirty peregrina.
Very grateful for any help.
Susanna

Hi, Susana,
I didn't stay in Tres Cantos, but all information seems to be that the albergue remains open.

There is a new official website on the Camino de Madrid, at least the part of it that is located in the Autonomous Community of Madrid. They have some good information on all the stages:

http://contenidos.caminodesantiagodemad ... categ.html

If you click on "donde dormir", you'll see a little description of the albergue in the Tres Cantos town hall. It is in the basement, people say it's fine.

As far as inexpensive alternatives, I don't think there's much of anything in Tres Cantos. This is a fabricated bedroom community, it didn't evolve on its own like many of the other towns surrounding Madrid. Everything is relatively new, hotels tend to be near the cercanias commuter line rail station and cater to business people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Laurie!
Good and useful advice from you as usual!

I haven't seen that website before. I'm writing down the address to the albergue here, in case someone else also wants to know: Plaza del Ayuntamiento 1
(According to http://contenidos.caminodesantiagodemad ... n_detalles)
That seems to be a big modern concrete building, looking very un-albergue-ish. But I'll have a try. :)

Yes, there wasn't any cheap hotels there, the least expensive seem to be the hostal, which was 35 euro, and think that was a special price right now. But if one starts walking in Madrid city, Tres Cantos is a good place to stop, as so much walk the first day is on pavement.

[quote="Susannafromswede

Yes, there wasn't any cheap hotels there, the least expensive seem to be the hostal, which was 35 euro, and think that was a special price right now. But if one starts walking in Madrid city, Tres Cantos is a good place to stop, as so much walk the first day is on pavement.[/quote]

The Hostal Tres Cantos is OK, but as you say, is 35euros, or was in 2011 when I stayed. (the most expensive night's lodging I've ever had on camino....)
Tres Cantos is a good stopping point if starting from Madrid,and a reasonable next day's walking will get you to Manzanares de Real, with it's lovely albergue outside town, but worth the trek. Do not miss it, even though you have to return the key to the priest's house in the morning - it is, as others will confirm, in a stupendous situation, peaceful, comfortable, and with a well equipped kitchen.
Buen camino!

Sojourner47, I was surprised when I saw how much the costs were for staying at hotels in Tres Cantos.
The other hotels are even worse, at least 55-85 euro something for a room! It's more expensive than Madrid city.

I will try not to miss the albergue in Manzanares de Real, at first I thought it was a bit lonely outside the town, but then I heard there are houses next to it. And in that town hotels costs too much also.
Got to stay at all albergues i can find on the route, so I can afford to stay extra days in Segovia and Valladolid. Will be fun. :)
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back