• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergue

duds

Hi all,can anybody give me the latest info on the albergue in tres cantos, i think i read somewhere that there had been some new developments, is that correct.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, duds,
My information is from last year, but I believe they've stopped opening the town hall to pilgrims. I have a friend who lives in Tres Cantos, and I will email her to see if she has any updated information. I walked to Colmenar El Viejo the first day, and found the only option was a fairly pricey, but very comfortable hotel. But I'm glad I walked that first part because things get rural quickly once you pass the Ramon y Cajal hospital on the edge of Madrid. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,once again you come to the rescue, may just walk on to colmenar,but will wait and see if you find out any more thanks again....Sam

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Failing all else, you could stay at the Hostal Tres Cantos, on Avenida Vinuelas, but again, somewhat pricey at 35E bed and breakfast, single en-suite. It's not the easiest place to find, being tucked away in a courtyard off the avenida - PM me if you want more info...

Thanks sojourner,will keep my options open on that one,it was just that i was thinking of an easy first day,i knew ther was a Holiday inn there but that,s well out of my league....Duds

Hi, duds,

There is also supposed to be a pension in Colmenar el Viejo. There are signs for it, and it appears in the guides. But I haven't seen a post from anyone who actually found a way to get inside it. I remember standing in front of the building with a sign for the pension on it, calling the number on the cell phone, and speaking with a woman who tried to direct me to a different building that I couldn't find. I wound up going into the library and getting help, with the advice being to just go to the hotel. It's the Gran Hostal El Chiscon, B&B price was 44 euros, my notes say.

I met some Spaniards in Manzanares el Real who had decided to take the RENFE Cercanias train from Madrid to Colmenar el Viejo, and start walking there to avoid the hotel cost. It's the commuter rail system and trains run very frequently from either Chamartin train station or Atocha (and a few other intermediate stops), depending on where you are in Madrid.

Walking from Colmenar, it's an easy 15 or 16 kms to Manzanares, very pretty in the spring, so that would be a good first day option as well. And make sure to visit the castle in Manzanares, it is a real wow-zer.

And just one last thing -- the distance from the Plaza Castilla (north side of Madrid) to Colmenar is 27 kms and it is very easy walking. The guides that list a much higher distance to Colmenar use the church of Santiago in central Madrid as the starting point.

Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My friend in Tres Cantos just emailed me that she went to the Ayuntamiento to ask about the albergue. It is still in operation.

Here's what she told me -- go to the Ayuntamiento (town hall), where they have a sello. The albergue is in the lower level of the town hall, it's a room with two beds and a bathroom next door.

Tres Cantos is on the opposite side of the highway from the Camino, and there are two overpasses to get into town. I assume you would want to take the first one, because the second one is way at the northern edge of town, which would entail some backtracking. I didn't actually do this, so maybe someone more familiar with getting into Tres Cantos could clarify.

Buen camino, Sam! Laurie

The first overpass - red painted metal bridge - will take you into town: cross over, turn right and follow the road downhill, KSO at roundabouts to reach Avenida Vinuelas which seems to be the main drag. The town hall is (I think) to the left. All the bus shelters have a street map, which is a help.
Buen camino :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.