Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues filling up quickly.

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
Today a Italian girl here in Campiello called the private alberge in Berducedo and they already have all beds reserved for tomorrow. People are talking about leaving crazy early (via Hospitales) from here to get a place in the other albergue. Others are taking the other route to be able to stop in Pola de Allande if they there hear that the albergue is filled up in Berducedo).

Here in Campiello the albergue was completely booked when I called from Tineo as I didn't want to go 12,4 km without knowing. I ended up booking a private room. I have noticed that some pilgrims book in advance and then they arrive really late. I wish it was first come first served everywhere. The albergues here are really small and one group can fill almost all beds.

I don't want to book ahead. It forces me to go to a place.

And I need an ATM to get more money as two hotel nights has drained my cash. Why don't they take card in Spain everywhere as home. So much easier.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have heard for the past several years now that August is really crunch time on the Primitivo. It seems that August numbers are substantially higher than the all of the rest of the year. People on the camino two years ago told me that since the other months' totals are so much lower (and in all the other months, everyone seems to fit, if only barely, into the existing accommodations) it just doesn't make sense for private individuals to invest in opening more pilgrim infrastructure.

But reports from mikevasey and others from earlier this year suggest that other months are starting to have crunches, too. I bet that when that happens consistently, there will be more albergues opening.

But that of course won't help you, Beatrice. I hope you can still enjoy this wonderful walk, even with the crowding problem. Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Private albergues are a god send for me, I can not walk fast any more and it keeps me out of a bed race, I try to go into individual accommodation as much as possible. The other options are walk out of season- which I actually want to do but not on this route or bring a tent which I might do because I think July/ August is probably the best month to walk the Primitivo.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Private albergues are a god send for me, I can not walk fast any more and it keeps me out of a bed race, I try to go into individual accommodation as much as possible. The other options are walk out of season- which I actually want to do but not on this route or bring a tent which I might do because I think July/ August is probably the best month to walk the Primitivo.

Good luck and Buen Camino
Hi, Mike, I've walked the Primitivo in June and in October and they were both wonderful times, great temps (a little cold in the mornings in October perhaps). And no crowd problem at all! Laurie

p.s. Beatrice, the albergue in La Mesa is rarely full, I've been told, and it's just a few kms beyond Berducedo. But I think you should bring food if you go there. Good luck, once you get past Berducedo, I think the real crunch dies down.

As an aside: in a swiss paper I've read today that a movie is being made (based on the veryyyy popular german book by an equally popular comedian/TV person - who i'd never heard of before) about the Camino. The book was published in the early 2000's as I recall and has sent thousands of german reading folks packing for the Jakobsweg (camino) -
am hazarding a guess here, but after the release of the film in 2015 one would/could certainly expect another spike in pilgrims ....
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/kino/Dreharbeiten-zu-KerkelingFilm-beginnen/story/26076080
--- it all goes through cycles and phases and seasons, just like life ... so, not to fret ...
just imagine that in previous centuries one had to content with all the returning pilgrims as well ... the ones walking back from santiago, towards their home.
that always automatically doubled the foot traffic, so to speak. nowadays, it's mostly one-way pilgrims :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie my knee really started playing up on the Primtivo, its just the nature of that Camino but I thought July and August would be the less dangerous months for slippy surfaces, but with the weather becoming more unpredictable it could be a bad move, I could be left with a lot of rain and no space in Albergues.

Amorfeti: indeed the German in question is called Kerkeling and his book created waves of Germans for a couple years . The same happened, and still happens, after the movie The Way became the latest cry.
Both book and film are about the Camino Frances, and not other Caminos such as the Primitivo. (Oviedo - Lugo - Melide or other option). But yes, all Caminos are increasingly popular (average yearly growth +/- 10 %) so it's wise to book ahead and/or enquire about alternative accommodation (hostals, private rooms, new albergues) which are mushrooming everywhere.
Cash is indeed necessary to be carried. No ATMs are to be found outside the main cities, and on the Primitivo there aren't many off-main cities possibilities to pay by credit/debit card. Thus carefully budget your means of meeting expenditure. (this is less critical on the Camino Frances, for example)
Enjoy your Camino.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Hi, Mike, I've walked the Primitivo in June and in October and they were both wonderful times, great temps (a little cold in the mornings in October perhaps). And no crowd problem at all! Laurie

p.s. Beatrice, the albergue in La Mesa is rarely full, I've been told, and it's just a few kms beyond Berducedo. But I think you should bring food if you go there. Good luck, once you get past Berducedo, I think the real crunch dies down.
My goal today is La Mesa so I just hope there will be a place for me. Fortunately I have no problem with doing 40 km either so I can go to the next one as well. But I aimed for a short walk today as I'm here in just 2 days. I have walked over 40 in 5 days in a row now. Feet deserves a shorter one :)

The time is now 06:15 and I can hear people leaving in the pitch black. I hope they are OK.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Berducedo there are two bars which have private accommodation above them, I know a few pilgrims who arrived found the municipal full and the private one I was staying in as well and tried the bars. They said the rooms were OK and clean, they were charged 20 Euros. I am suggesting this because the people who stayed in La Mesa the day I was in Berducedo and were to become my camino family said that it was full as well.

There is at least one ATM in Grandas and (6kms before Grandas) the Hotel El Salto just over the dam has rooms and does take a card. Other places don't because of the card costs to them and being a cash economy. We booked the private albergues plus other private accomodation to enable me to walk at all so I am glad of being able to do it. If booking into El Candido at San Roman de Retorta it is cash only (ATMs in Lugo) - are you going that far Beatrice or only a few days on the Primitivo?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think there may also be a casa rural in La Mesa that opens sporadically for the pilgrim overflow, at least someone once told me that! Good luck Beatrice, hope you have a nice walk today. Buen camino, Laurie

I got to Berucedu so early (1320) that just went to the shop and bought food. There was only a few pilgrims at the municipal. I walked to La Mesa and came here as number 3 around 1430. Now at 1700 it is full and one person that we know is on the way will not have a bed. Looks like no one has a sleeping mattress either. He has hurt his foot so I guess he will take a taxi (if he can get one). The place was really dirty when we came here. Litter all over the floor. It is now cleaned up by my fellow pilgrims. I said I would do it after the shower but while I was in there the two of them did it. It now looks much better.

I do have 110 Euros (spent 195 already in 6 days whereof 110 on private accommodations+dinner in that place) on me so no hurry to the ATM but I would like to withdraw some more cash as there might be a need for more private accommodations. Good to know that there is an ATM in Salime as the guide only said bank or ATM. And talking about money.

I know it is good for some to be able to book ahead. It just boring when all places are taken 24 h in advance. It makes it harder to stop where the body say "time to stop".

Tomorrow I'll go to A Foncagrado or Padrón I think.

@Tia Valeria my plan is to be in Santiago August 14. My plane leaves August 15.

I had a lovely walk via Hospitales today. What a view from up there.

I relly hope that people hasn't continued on another 9,4 km becasue this one was full because now 2 pilgrims are leaving. They have a reservation in Grandas de Salime and just stopped here for a siesta, showering, sleeping for 2 hours and eat. Occupying 2 of the beds. They could at least have told someone. We just found out now when they are getting their backpacks on again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I relly hope that people hasn't continued on another 9,4 km becasue this one was full because now 2 pilgrims are leaving. They have a reservation in Grandas de Salime and just stopped here for a siesta, showering, sleeping for 2 hours and eat. Occupying 2 of the beds. They could at least have told someone. We just found out now when they are getting their backpacks on again.
That is IMO really mean and not in the spirit of pilgrimage at all. As you say they could have made it clear to some-one, even by pinning up a note on their beds maybe. Did the injured pilgrim get a bed or have to go on?
Glad you are going right through to Santiago Beatrice
Buen Camino

I think the injured pilgrim ordered a taxi to Salime. I heard another one saying that at least. But I don't know.

I think the injured pilgrim ordered a taxi to Salime. I heard another one saying that at least. But I don't know.
Hope he goes on OK - at least he will not have to try to walk over Buspol and then the long steep hill down to the dam. It is very hard on the legs and would be really painful I think with an injured foot.
Have a good day tomorrow :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ugh! I hope all works for you. I have always read that the Primitivo gets crowded in August and I guess that's true. I hope you are having a lovely walk anyway.

The Cantabrico Albergue in A Fonsgrada is excellent. The Pardon one will fill up first then the other two private albergues will as people start to walk back from the full municipal or arrive in town, all 3 of them got the thumbs up from people who stayed in them. If you like Pulpo then this is the town for you.

I think there may also be a casa rural in La Mesa that opens sporadically for the pilgrim overflow, at least someone once told me that! Good luck Beatrice, hope you have a nice walk today. Buen camino, Laurie
When we went through La Mesa in 2012 we were told that the Casa Rural was closed for good. Has this changed now? Really helpful if it has.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Cantabrico Albergue in A Fonsgrada is excellent. The Pardon one will fill up first then the other two private albergues will as people start to walk back from the full municipal or arrive in town, all 3 of them got the thumbs up from people who stayed in them. If you like Pulpo then this is the town for you.
Thanks. I might break my own rules and make a reservation then :)

And no I don't like pulpo at all.

Unbelievable! (Sorry, I don;'t doubt you, I just mean that I despair at people sometimes).

Unbelievable! (Sorry, I don;'t doubt you, I just mean that I despair at people sometimes).
They just left before the hospitaliera came here. She was happy to se available beds. And when she checked there now was 4 beds available (at least after calculating numbers of people here) so some people here must have spread their things over multiple beds. For example putting the backpack against one bed and putting the sleeping bag in another.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I stayed at La Robla some pilgrims came in and took the available bottom bunks for themselves, but placed their hats and other stuff on the bunks above, a 'cunning' ploy I have seen many times to make sure they have no one above them, however the albergue kept filling during the day, a Portuguese pilgrim came in, a good guy I had a beer with him later, saw the hat on the top bunk, and he tossed it on to the lower one. He had walked a few Camino's and had become used to this move, the other pilgrim came in later and scowled, its one of those things where even if you did it without thinking, you would move it when there was a chance of the albergue being full.

Sheesh! I walked the Frances in April and the Albergues were not full. I really didn't care for it when they assigned beds. I like, but don't need, to be on the bottom bunk as I have a winky-dinky bladder and often have to pee at night. Luckily my husband was fine with the top bunk so it usually worked out. I suspected the hospitaleros needed to make assignments because of uncooperative stuff during the busy times. Guess I was right! I am glad to hear from Beatrice that she got a bed!

I just came to understand why some hospitaleros have resorted to assign specific beds.
I had noticed the "spreading" but I believed these people were making a reservations of sorts to friends walking more slowly. I have been too innocent, obviously.:rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there! About it not being able to pay with credit cards in many places, if our experience (from the point of view of an albergue) counts at all, here it is: on one side, albergues are cheap accommodations and profit is not too high, so making it even lower by paying the bank's fees for using credit card makes it even worse. However, that is not the main reason for us (if it wouldn't be for the next thing I'll be saying, we would offer the chance undoubtedly!).

The main reason is that credit card terminals work through the telephone line, and unluckily, here where our albergue is, in the middle of the rural Galician landscape, the phone line some times "disappears" :) We are just left without line for some time, maybe hours. Therefore, it is not reliable to offer that mean of payment. Also, even if the line is working (which is the case most of the time anyway), it is quite slow, making the operation sometimes too long and giving repeated failures.
Too much trouble. Good advice for the Primitivo: carry enough cash with you, and use the main cities to withdraw money from ATMs, such as Fonsagrada, Lugo, Melide, Arzua...

Regarding the possibility to book your bed in private albergues: we've had several cases of people arriving and not having any beds left; when they were told so, they very angrily said things about how this should be prohibited and it should be first to come first to get a bed, as in public albergues.

But here's our opinion: private albergues are more expensive, and in exchange we have to offer also something that differentiates us. One of these things is the possibility of booking your bed, which gives you the chance to take your time and not rush in a race for a bed, which I believe drives away all the fun out of doing the Camino. I must say that booking beds also gives us headaches sometimes.
Some people (especially now in the high season, July and August) book in more than one place to make sure they will have a place to stay, and then when they make it to one of the places they booked, like it and decide to stay, they don't bother calling into the others to cancel their reservation.
This might leave us with empty beds at the end of the day, and, most importantly, it's made a few pilgrims have to walk "x" km ahead to the next albergue because at the time they were in this albergue, it was supposedly fully booked up. Of course we try our best to prevent this, but sometimes it is just impossible.

Beatrice, when you walk Lugo to Melide and walk in front of us, wether you'll be staying or not, stop by to say hello. Ask for Juanma, please! :) I'll be pleased to have a coffee with you. Buen Camino!

Also saw couples being charged for two beds when they only slept in one. And Bottom vs Top--if you served in the military you always take a top bunk as EVERYONE sits on lower bunks whenever they feel like it. Slept on floors at 3 places in June; one place let people sleep on chapel floor so they would not have to walk in the rain that evening. Most who slept on floors wished they had carried sleeping pads--I had one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When we went through La Mesa in 2012 we were told that the Casa Rural was closed for good. Has this changed now? Really helpful if it has.

Hi, Tia, I have never inquired about it or tried to stay there, but in 2013, I THINK someone told me they had arrived in La Mesa to a full albergue and found a private option. Both mundicamino and eroski continue to list it on their website, but there's no information other than name. Nor do I see any comments from anyone who has actually slept there. So I guess it's not something to count on. Laurie

The strange thing about German pilgrims is that they travel to Spain and Camino Frances. They are welcome, obviously, but there are many jacobean ways in Germany, some very beautiful, and every year they are better signposted and organized.
If you want to avoid the summer crowds, the morning rush, the "albergue sprinters", try other Caminos than Frances.

Hi there! About it not being able to pay with credit cards in many places, if our experience (from the point of view of an albergue) counts at all, here it is: on one side, albergues are cheap accommodations and profit is not too high, so making it even lower by paying the bank's fees for using credit card makes it even worse. However, that is not the main reason for us (if it wouldn't be for the next thing I'll be saying, we would offer the chance undoubtedly!).

The main reason is that credit card terminals work through the telephone line, and unluckily, here where our albergue is, in the middle of the rural Galician landscape, the phone line some times "disappears" :) We are just left without line for some time, maybe hours. Therefore, it is not reliable to offer that mean of payment. Also, even if the line is working (which is the case most of the time anyway), it is quite slow, making the operation sometimes too long and giving repeated failures.
Too much trouble. Good advice for the Primitivo: carry enough cash with you, and use the main cities to withdraw money from ATMs, such as Fonsagrada, Lugo, Melide, Arzua...

Regarding the possibility to book your bed in private albergues: we've had several cases of people arriving and not having any beds left; when they were told so, they very angrily said things about how this should be prohibited and it should be first to come first to get a bed, as in public albergues.

But here's our opinion: private albergues are more expensive, and in exchange we have to offer also something that differentiates us. One of these things is the possibility of booking your bed, which gives you the chance to take your time and not rush in a race for a bed, which I believe drives away all the fun out of doing the Camino. I must say that booking beds also gives us headaches sometimes.
Some people (especially now in the high season, July and August) book in more than one place to make sure they will have a place to stay, and then when they make it to one of the places they booked, like it and decide to stay, they don't bother calling into the others to cancel their reservation.
This might leave us with empty beds at the end of the day, and, most importantly, it's made a few pilgrims have to walk "x" km ahead to the next albergue because at the time they were in this albergue, it was supposedly fully booked up. Of course we try our best to prevent this, but sometimes it is just impossible.

Beatrice, when you walk Lugo to Melide and walk in front of us, wether you'll be staying or not, stop by to say hello. Ask for Juanma, please! :) I'll be pleased to have a coffee with you. Buen Camino!

Thanks for your answer. Regarding paying with card I more referred to shops, restaurants, hotels etc places where you have to spend a lot more then the normal albergue fee.

I do understand the economics of having places for reservation. What I meant is that in some places there in only private albergues and as you can reserve a place days before arriving there we who arrives there can be told that it is full and then the person that has made the reservation might not show up at all and we have walk maybe another 5-10 km to find another place.

I just arrived in Fonsagrada and didn't go on to the xunta as I met two pilgrims saying that Cantãnrico was really nice. When I arrived the hospitaliero was on the phone. And then he said I was lucky as that phone call was from a man calling in an cancel. Padrón is not full yet.

I do really appreciate the private albergues and the work you do. I normally try to stay in the private albergues to help the Spanish economy. I have a good salary so I can let people with less stay in the municipal/xunta albergues. Sometimes I stay in donotivos and pay the same as the nearest private as I think they should be on the Camino for those who really needs it.

Im on my cell so I can't see footer info but will check you profile page to find out where you are. I might even call and make a reservation :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for your words Beatrice. If you are in Fonsagrada today (Cantabrico is really nice, yes; Os Chaos is as well), you should pass in front of us in three/four days. We are 27km after Lugo. These days we are fully booked, so if you do consider staying with us, don't hesitate to book. You can do it directly with me through a private message, if you want to save the phone call :) And again, even if you decide to stay somewhere else, you are welcome for a coffee!

The problem you mention is the main one with accepting reservations: people might then not show up, and even if they do call to tell (which they don't always do), it might already be too late for a few pilgrims which might have tried for a place earlier and have had to walk 6km to the next albergue. We always ask for the telephone number to accept a reservation, and ask them to call again the same day if they will be arriving later than 15.00h. Even like that, if we receive a pilgrim before 15.00h wanting to stay and without a reservation, and some of the booked pilgrims have not showed up yet, we call them to make sure they are really coming. Sometimes we do find out that someone was not going to come and hadn't bothered calling us to tell! :mad:

Buen Camino! and hopefully see you soon,

Amorfeti: indeed the German in question is called Kerkeling and his book created waves of Germans for a couple years . The same happened, and still happens, after the movie The Way became the latest cry.
Both book and film are about the Camino Frances, and not other Caminos such as the Primitivo. (Oviedo - Lugo - Melide or other option). But yes, all Caminos are increasingly popular (average yearly growth +/- 10 %) so it's wise to book ahead and/or enquire about alternative accommodation (hostals, private rooms, new albergues) which are mushrooming everywhere.
Cash is indeed necessary to be carried. No ATMs are to be found outside the main cities, and on the Primitivo there aren't many off-main cities possibilities to pay by credit/debit card. Thus carefully budget your means of meeting expenditure. (this is less critical on the Camino Frances, for example)
Enjoy your Camino.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum[/QUOTE.
Yes, Hape Kerkeling is a very popular German TV presenter / comedian and his book describing his Camino was a best seller and was the inspiration for many Germans to do the Frances Way. On the same note in May 2014 when I did my second Camino I met a lot of pilgrims of all ages from South Korea - I was told that a South Korean lady had walked the Frances Way and had written a book about her walk & experiences which too became a bestseller in S. Korea!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So... Beatrice did show up for a tea this morning! :) Too bad it's a rainy day and the albergue has just been cleared from the night before's pilgrims, so she didn't see it very clean and tidy, but at least we met personally. Here's her smile in front of her cup of tea:

full

BUEN CAMINO Beatrice! ;)

Thanks for the welcoming. The tea was needed in the rain. I just arrived in Melide having lunch now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please accept this post as constructive and positive but from an "old guy" I believe once one is within 150 km from Santiago the need is to to change the pace. I would never dream of walking 40k/day; but I'm in no hurry because I have the entire summer to walk the Camino. My limit is 20k and I get up early along with (and because of) the plastic bag crunchers and headlampers, but after that distraction I walk a very relaxed pace and love taking photos of my surroundings and I pause for café con leche and Kaz Limon much too often. I get to my chosen destination around noon and sit around drinking beer with newly acquired friend suntil the doors open. I take a shower, wash my sweaty stuff, take a much deserved nap and eat a late menu dia. What is wrong with this picture? I have never had a bed problem for 4 years, except for the day I walked in September 2011 from Roncevalles to Larrasona, that was a lesson learned.

Please accept this post as constructive and positive but from an "old guy" I believe once one is within 150 km from Santiago the need is to to change the pace. I would never dream of walking 40k/day; but I'm in no hurry because I have the entire summer to walk the Camino. My limit is 20k and I get up early along with (and because of) the plastic bag crunchers and headlampers, but after that distraction I walk a very relaxed pace and love taking photos of my surroundings and I pause for café con leche and Kaz Limon much too often. I get to my chosen destination around noon and sit around drinking beer with newly acquired friend suntil the doors open. I take a shower, wash my sweaty stuff, take a much deserved nap and eat a late menu dia. What is wrong with this picture? I have never had a bed problem for 4 years, except for the day I walked in September 2011 from Roncevalles to Larrasona, that was a lesson learned.

Hi, biarritzdon, I really don't mean to sound rude, and there is nothing "wrong" with the day you propose, but it doesn't appeal to me at all, just as Beatrice's day doesn't sound like fun to you. Believe me, it has nothing to do with being in a hurry or not being in a hurry. It has to do with what works for you, your body and your mental state. I'm somewhere in between you and Beatrice, and I appreciate that on the camino each of us can go at our own pace and as mike says be "true" to ourselves.

And really, the problem here isn't the distance people are walking, it's the shortage of beds. If more people adopted your strategy, the only change would be that the albergues would fill up sooner, but the last people coming in, whether they walked 20 km or 40 km, are not going to find beds. Buen camino, Laurie

I got to Berucedu so early (1320) that just went to the shop and bought food. There was only a few pilgrims at the municipal. I walked to La Mesa and came here as number 3 around 1430. Now at 1700 it is full and one person that we know is on the way will not have a bed. Looks like no one has a sleeping mattress either. He has hurt his foot so I guess he will take a taxi (if he can get one). The place was really dirty when we came here. Litter all over the floor. It is now cleaned up by my fellow pilgrims. I said I would do it after the shower but while I was in there the two of them did it. It now looks much better.

I do have 110 Euros (spent 195 already in 6 days whereof 110 on private accommodations+dinner in that place) on me so no hurry to the ATM but I would like to withdraw some more cash as there might be a need for more private accommodations. Good to know that there is an ATM in Salime as the guide only said bank or ATM. And talking about money.

I know it is good for some to be able to book ahead. It just boring when all places are taken 24 h in advance. It makes it harder to stop where the body say "time to stop".

Tomorrow I'll go to A Foncagrado or Padrón I think.

@Tia Valeria my plan is to be in Santiago August 14. My plane leaves August 15.

I had a lovely walk via Hospitales today. What a view from up there.

Last summer we stopped in to see the La Mesa albergue as we walked by in the morning. I'm always curious about albergues for future reference. It was about 9:00am, the door was wide open and the place empty. Garbage everywhere - in the bed rooms, the kitchen and bathrooms. Leftover food on the kitchen counters and in the sink. Garbage bins overflowing. What struck me and made me quite sad, was that it was fellow pilgrims that had left this mess. Yes, it's true that some places aren't maintained as well as they could be, but no matter where I stay I consider myself a guest and there are basic responsibilities that come with being a guest. The most important being...Clean up after yourself!!

I've enjoyed seeing your photos on instagram Beatrice....hope you continue to enjoy your camino! I was in Santiago last week and if you have time, there is an intriguing art exhibit / installation called "On The Road".

Buen Camino!

Last summer we stopped in to see the La Mesa albergue as we walked by in the morning. I'm always curious about albergues for future reference. It was about 9:00am, the door was wide open and the place empty. Garbage everywhere - in the bed rooms, the kitchen and bathrooms. Leftover food on the kitchen counters and in the sink. Garbage bins overflowing. What struck me and made me quite sad, was that it was fellow pilgrims that had left this mess. Yes, it's true that some places aren't maintained as well as they could be, but no matter where I stay I consider myself a guest and there are basic responsibilities that come with being a guest. The most important being...Clean up after yourself!!

I've enjoyed seeing your photos on instagram Beatrice....hope you continue to enjoy your camino! I was in Santiago last week and if you have time, there is an intriguing art exhibit / installation called "On The Road".

Buen Camino!
Now in Arzúa coming in at around 16:15 after 44 km walk. Passed about 30 pilgrims over the last 5-6 km and half of them wasn't carrying bags so at least they have reservations. But the rest might have a problem. All albergues are full. I met 4 guys just outside the last one and we were referred to Hospidaje Santa something 1 km in the wrong direction so I just popped in to the first Pension I saw. The guys was not happy they though that 25 euro was way to much to spend so I guess they continued to the hospidaje. I think it is really cheap for a one person bedroom with shower. In Sweden it would have cost me minimum €90 for an equivalent room.

So now I'll jump into the shower and then hit the town or basement of this place for some food. Tomorrow I will probably go to Santiago if I don't do as I did last time, stay in Vilamayor 9 km before and just have a lovely morning walk into Santiago. We will see. It might be nice to arrive when the plaza is full of people as well.

I don't even comment anymore about doing the stages I do more then with it is my Camino, my choice and my body and mind.

I'll have 2-3 days in Santiago so I'll be able to look into that exhibition and hopefully the weather is fine and I can lay down on the plaza and just watch pilgrims coming in.

@BeatriceKarjalainen Buen camino:) maybe see you on Saturday when I will be back in Santiago. When do you return home?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Missed you by one day ;(
Have a happy happy Camino your last etapa if you don't stop at my favorite Casa de Amancio :)
Casa de Amanico is really great. Well we will see how the body feels when I'm there and if he has any room left. There are a huge number of pilgrims here in Arzúa today.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Casa de Amanico is really great. Well we will see how the body feels when I'm there and if he has any room left. There are a huge number of pilgrims here in Arzúa today.
I love that place (Casa de Amanico in Vilamayor). It made for a nice walk into Santiago and by that time, we needed a break from the albergues. From my blog...

"We want an easy walk tomorrow to get into town fresh in time for mass. We found a nice little place (Casa de Amancio) to stop in the tiniest of towns. It’s certainly upmarket but there is no way we’re continuing on to the massive albergue at Monte de Gozo after the small climb we just did from Lavacolla. I’m glad, however, that we did that today rather than tomorrow. Now, remember that I said the small hotel was nice? I really mean that the facilities are nice because the host, a Spaniard with an English accent is the dourest, sourest guy I met along the Camino. Why he is in the service industry, I don’t know. Despite that, after doing our laundry and resting, we headed for dinner. After an hour or so, we were waited on. I can’t say the delay was because of the crowds. When we got there, we were the only people in the place. The host is also the waiter and, I assume, cook. We share dinner with a lovely “couple”, an 83 year old German gentleman and his young, cute girlfriend from Switzerland. They actually just walked the last bit together, she at a slow stroll, he at a brisk walk. He is completing his fourth stage from France the next day. She is just enjoying the wine. Also at dinner was a CIA agent with terrible information on the best seating for mass and the swinging of the botafumeiro."

I think I'm going to print this one out and carry it with me everywhere on the Camino as a reminder to go slow. And drink café con leche, figure out if I like Kaz Limon, and learn to drink beer in the afternoon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.