• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Poncho--USA?

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
Anyone have an Altus in the USA they are willing to sell? My husband will be accompanying me on the Camino Portuguese next fall and am looking for another one. Thanks! Shipping from Spain is outrageous--more than the cost of the poncho!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi
Just a suggestion here. Would it be possible to have an Altus delivered to a spanish address such as a hotel you may stay in early on your Camino? (i would suggest the Luggage Storage although that could be as expensive as delivery to the US?)
Chris

That's a good idea. I went to the Barrabes store last May when I arrived in Madrid, and I ordered an Altus for my walking partner, who was going to arrive in Zamora. They shipped it to the hotel in Zamora for about 5 or 6 euros. Barrabes also has an online store, with the Altus for sale for 33 euros.

Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The problem is not the price of the Altus but the cost of shipping to the US for one. When I started to add more and more to the basket, the shipping cost went way down per poncho. Maybe I should order a half dozen or more and then sell them in the US! I have a feeling there would be some demand around this list. What do you think?

Hi Portia,

I was looking at the online store for an Altus too (and they have some other cool stuff). I'm in California but maybe we could do a joint order, especially if others join in. I'm not walking till April so have lots of time...

Allison

Hi,
I ordered an Altus poncho from http://www.peregrinoteca.com. I received it in about a week. The poncho cost E25.34 and the shipping was only E16.94 for a total with tax of E49.89. This was to an address in Australia. I think this is cheaper than ordering from Altus?
My only problem is that we ordered the wrong size!! but hopefully I will be able to exchange it.

Sue

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I ordered an Altus from Barrabes and had it sent to my family's in Europe address for very little. My mother then posted it to New Zealand, again for much less than the international courier quote from Altus. Alternatively you could get the Altus sent to wherever you depart from on your walk, one of the hostels may be would store it until you arrive? Cheers, Gitti

I am probably going to submit a "group order" so if you are interested in participating (the shipping is substantially less for quantity shipping), PM me and let me know. I'll also need size and color preference. I already have five or six. We'll work out postage in the USA from there. I do have a paypal account so that would make it easiest for transactions.

I am getting ready to place an order. There is a e20 flat shipping fee from Spain no matter how many I order. So if you are interested in getting in on this order, please let me know.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I ordered 2 ponchos from Peregrinoteca, online. Immediately received order confirmation, etc. 5 weeks later, still waiting, and I am just days away from leaving for my Camino. I contacted the owner via email, who confirmed shipment, and told me that it usually takes 3-4 weeks. What are the chances it will arrive in time? Anyone have experience ordering from here, with shipment to the US?

They ship postal post which the US no longer offers and so, I guess, doesn't quite know what to do with it. When I checked all the paperwork, it does seem that US was the problem here. It did take four to five weeks for the package to arrive. Good luck! And Buen Camino!

I'm going to be heading to Spain in October, I'd be willing to pick up a bunch of these ponchos in Madrid and bring them back to the US for cost plus shipping (from the US to US addresses). Anyone interested?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sadly, it looks like my daughter and I will be leaving for our Camino tomorrow without our two ponchos:( 38 days after ordering them, they have yet to arrive.

Left for my Camino in June without the 2 Altus ponchos that I ordered from Spain (not available in the US). As it turns out, they arrived at my home in Philadelphia several days after we left for the Camino. I was able to repurchase them at the gear store in SJPP at a premium price. I will admit, we had glorious weather for most of the Camino. As we approached Galicia, we found ourselves wondering if it had been worth carrying the extra weight of the ponchos. All I can say is, thank god for the ponchos, because it poured from Villafranca del Bierzo through the rest of our Camino. I honestly can't imagine having walked without them. The velcro sleeves prevented rain from seeping down our arms, the packs stayed absolutely dry, and the length of the poncho protected our legs. I felt badly for the people walking in jackets with pack covers.

I still have the initial two, still sealed in the shipping package. I believe I paid about $50usd each + the astronomical shipping from Spain, since they are not available for sale in the US. 1 red, 1 olive green, both are size M. Anyone interested, I am happy to sell for $40 each. I'll even cover shipping costs. Send me a PM.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have one in Iowa that I would be willing to sell and send to you if you do not have one yet. I purchased it in StJPdP in June. The smaller of the two sizes available, the lighter weight model, blue in color. I paid $60 and it has not been used. Let me know.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.