• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are the bears dangerous?

SkuDah

Di & George
Have to share this funny article I saw today. I love a good sense of humour.

pyreneanway.com / blog / french-pyrenees-gr-10-walk-guide / ?lang=en

Are the bears dangerous then?

Statistically speaking, no. You are more likely to be killed in a plane crash in the Pyrenees than by a bear. Nobody has been killed by a bear since the invention of the airplane, but the wreckage on the GR 10 on the slopes of Canigou is testimony to the unreliability of aircraft.

In fact, there are only 20 bears in the Pyrenees, so you are unlikely even to see one. You definitely will see marmottes.

If you do see a bear it will probably ignore you. If you are still uneasy, extensive advice on bears is available on backpacker.com. Questions in the forum include such interesting topics as “Will back country sex attract a bear?”, “Do Tasers stop bears?” and, for the really paranoid, “Will my farts attract a bear?”.

Whatever you do, don’t wear a sheepskin coat. Several hundred sheep are killed by the bears each year (out of a population approaching half a million).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
dd346f362c5a3064726900809a39636f.jpg

Indeed. Don't waste God's time praying for deliverance from bears. Instead pray that the sheep don't organise.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Actually, in France it is more probable to meet a wild-boar or two, even near villages, when the road crosses a ravine and it is late afternoon. It is recommended to wait patiently until they leave, especially when it is a female with offspring (how do you call them? in French, they are "marcassins")

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I must admit I was worried about meeting the pyreneean bear when I walked from Oloron to Somport. There were warnings! Even if I live in an area. in Norway with bears, I have never seen or met some of them, but thé pyreneean bear sounded more scareful. Some pilgrims have met them and were pretty scared. In Galicia I was more worried about the wolves that I heard hauling on a very foggy day up to O' Cebreiro.

You guys are making me paranoid! I'd never even heard there were bears, wolves, or boars along the Camino and always thought blissfully of walking solo! Although, our friend did get bit by a dog near Sarria. Moral of the story is always have a trekking pole handy....?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here in the states they recomend that when in bear country carry pepper spray and wear a bell or bells to let the bears know you in the area. That being said, you can tell if the bear is a black or brown bear or a grizzly bear by their scat (poop). Black or brown bears scat will be full of seeds and smell like berries. Grizzly bear scat will have bells in it and smell like pepper spray. ;)

Happy Trails. 12 days and counting

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You guys are making me paranoid! I'd never even heard there were bears, wolves, or boars along the Camino and always thought blissfully of walking solo! Although, our friend did get bit by a dog near Sarria. Moral of the story is always have a trekking pole handy....?
You might encounter a few"bare" feet, and the odd "bore" but that will be about as dangerous as it gets. :)

Pyreneean bears? If you had done your Camino history homework you would have known that the locals, the Basques - who are always personified as dangerous and possessing both a perfidious nature and long knives - the Basques would have long ago chopped up all the bears into chorizos.

No no no, just before the good people of Pamplona finished him off, Roland chopped up an elephant for his pintxos, nothing was left except for one of the tusks, too little and too late.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's a question was in my mind as I prepared to cross the Pyrenees. So I tagged along with a group containing some people who appeared even more decrepit than myself. I knew I'd never be able to outrun a hungry bear, but saw that I didn't need to. All I had to do was outrun one of my companions. :)

That's a question was in my mind as I prepared to cross the Pyrenees. So I tagged along with a group containing some people who appeared even more decrepit than myself. I knew I'd never be able to outrun a hungry bear, but saw that I didn't need to. All I had to do was outrun one of my companions. :)

Well, if that ain't the Camino spirit, what is?! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here in the states they recomend that when in bear country carry pepper spray and wear a bell or bells to let the bears know you in the area. That being said, you can tell if the bear is a black or brown bear or a grizzly bear by their scat (poop). Black or brown bears scat will be full of seeds and smell like berries. Grizzly bear scat will have bells in it and smell like pepper spray. ;)

Happy Trails. 12 days and counting

DEFINITELY not sticking my nose down there to sniff! I pity the researcher who had to come to those conclusions! :p

We frequently had bears on our porch in Canada and they never bothered anyone. Worry about the cars in Burgos,or some confused cow running over you. Bears are really very nice animals.

from Iberianature.com

"not a single person has been killed by a bear in the last 150 years in the Pyrenees."
"150 to 300 sheep are killed by bears each year in the Pyrenees"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We frequently had bears on our porch in Canada and they never bothered anyone. .... Bears are really very nice animals.

Newly, I worry about you! Not only do you cuddle up to vicious dogs, now you are swinging on the porch with bears. I still think of Steve Irwin getting himself killed by a friendly stingray.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha :) - so now I see the reason why a walking companion is occasionally sollicited! - And of course the most unfit and elderly person will be the choice ... (I fear I would myself be an obiously fit candidate here :()

annelise

There's no need to worry about bears. If they want to eat you, they will. I was in a group charged by black bears once in the Smoky Mountains. They were just toying with us. They run extremely fast. There's no getting away.

excellent solution ,, pity though as i think i will most likely be the bear bait in a situation like that :)

What I was saying was that the last of all the Pyrenees bear was killed by a Frenchman who was warned not to go in that direction as Camille ( the bears name) was wandering in that area. The mentioned Frenchman wanted to have the "honor" of ending the Pyrenees bear.

I refrain from typing what I think of this so called hunter.

On the other hand in Picos de Europa there still remain a colony of about 180 bears.

Ondo Ibili !
Really in 2004 ?thats amazing as you would have expected/hoped that by now people would realise the long term value of keeping animals like this alive ? i suppose that we should even expect NOW that some one out there would pay a fortune to have the privilage of being THE ONE that killed the last Tiger or the last any creature,some claim to fame ????

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I spent three weeks in the Picos looking for bears. Found mark, found scat, found a well mangled sheep - never saw a bear. The grumpy old ex-hunter who ran a bar in Cosgaya explained that that was because "bear see you, you no see bear". This seemed plausible, as did his second comment, "bear no see you, bear bumf you up good!" A good friend did once incur a severe bear related injury - watching a bear through binoculars while walking slowly and carefully toward said bear - he stepped off a 15ft drop into thorn scrub. His companions also suffered but their trousers dried quite quickly in the autumn sun.

I' ve read that the current bear population in the French Pyrinees is not native -it has been brought from Slovakia, by a government program. It is a quite controversial and emotional issue in France.
Apparently, it is not unusual to see bears in the Galicia mountains -particularly, around Piedrafita do Cebreiro, not far from the Camino.
http://www.galiciaparaelmundo.com/blog/?page_id=51&recurso_id=3225
in a couple of sites here in Ireland they have been trying to reintroduce eagles however after years of work alot of the birds are being found shot or poisened,so i can imagine the problem facing the groups trying to reintroduce the bears may be its a sad fact that once its gone its lost FOREVER

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Guard kitty to protect us.??

That's decided it. I am buying a kitty to put in my pack. It won't weigh much.
Better safe than sorry

My backpacking haunts here in Washington state are popular with black and grizzly bears. As long as one takes care with properly bagging and hanging one's food in a tree for the night; or carrying food in a bear canister and burying it away from your campsite, you are unlikely to see them "up close and personal."

Have to share this funny article I saw today. I love a good sense of humour.

pyreneanway.com / blog / french-pyrenees-gr-10-walk-guide / ?lang=en

Are the bears dangerous then?

Statistically speaking, no. You are more likely to be killed in a plane crash in the Pyrenees than by a bear. Nobody has been killed by a bear since the invention of the airplane, but the wreckage on the GR 10 on the slopes of Canigou is testimony to the unreliability of aircraft.

In fact, there are only 20 bears in the Pyrenees, so you are unlikely even to see one. You definitely will see marmottes.

If you do see a bear it will probably ignore you. If you are still uneasy, extensive advice on bears is available on backpacker.com. Questions in the forum include such interesting topics as “Will back country sex attract a bear?”, “Do Tasers stop bears?” and, for the really paranoid, “Will my farts attract a bear?”.

Whatever you do, don’t wear a sheepskin coat. Several hundred sheep are killed by the bears each year (out of a population approaching half a million).
You do see the bears on the road, but not the road itself !(a Dutch proverb)

As good peregrinos, we mustn't forget to bring some spare toilet paper - as the question goes: does a bear cr*p in the woods?

Of all the things I worried about while planning for the camino, bears never entered into my thoughts. But then, I live in Vancouver, and virtually every hiking trail in SW British Columbia has at least the possibility running into a bear. Seen a couple over the years, fortunately from a reasonably safe distance.

Heck, in some suburbs of Vancouver, bears will get into garbage if it is not secured properly.

We had an adolescent bear scaring everybody in my neighborhood a couple of years ago. As much as I've seen many deer, raccoons, and coyotes in the back yard, I refused to believe that it was a real live BEAR. I figured somebody's Newfoundland had wandered away.

Two days later the state wildlife rangers captured a black bear a mile away, near the university. I never scoffed about seeing bears again. :D:oops::D

Of all the things I worried about while planning for the camino, bears never entered into my thoughts........
Same here. Must say that the only time on the Camino Frances when I felt aware of the 'unknown', even though I was with a companion, was during that stretch through the woods between Villafranca Montes de Oca and St. Juan de Ortega.

We had an adolescent bear scaring everybody in my neighborhood a couple of years ago.

That's the same as we encountered in the Smoky Mountains. Two young bears, almost full size, ran at us from a ridge while Momma bear looked on. I think they just wanted to play, but it was pretty frightening seeing how fast they moved.

I was very pleased to see a pile of bear business on the side of the road just a few km out of town this weekend. He had eaten a lot of berries, but no pilgrims.

I have seen tracks and steaming piles here, but never saw one in person around here.

In Canada we had one trying to get to our barbeque and having a stand-off with the dog. my wife went out and yelled at them both----- the bear went up a tree, the dog into the house.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bears in Spain?

Reminds me of a story I heard about two guys walking in the Canadian woods

The two guys see in the far distance an angry bear that proceeds to charge towards them.

The first guy promptly sits down and pulls out a brand new pair of running shoes

The second guy stands there in shock and explains " you can not out run a bear! "

The first guy replies " yes, you are correct, but all I need to do, is out run you! "

Moral of the story:

"Beware of Canadian pilgrims wearing brand new running shoes when confronted with angry wild Spanish bears!"

We know better...

Last edited:
Bears in Spain?

Reminds me of a story I heard about two guys walking in the Canadian woods

The two guys see in the far distance an angry bear that proceeds to charge towards them.

The first guy promptly sits down and pulls out a brand new pair of running shoes

The second guy stands there in shock and explains " you can not out run a bear! "

The first guy replies " no you are correct, but all I need to do, is out run you! "

Moral of the story:

"Beware of Canadian pilgrims wearing brand new running shoes when confronted with angry wild Spanish bears!"

We know better...

Oooooooooooh! And as natefaith said:
Well, if that ain't the Camino spirit, what is?! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€46,-
Haha, maybe few bears but according to an elderly Spanish man outside La Virgen, there are plenty of wolves on the Meseta.

As I headed toward Mazarife less than a mile after La Virgen, an old man hobbling along the road with his cane, sporting a jaunty cap called out to me.

"Hey," he yelled, "you're not walking alone are you?"

"Yes," I replied. "Why not?"

"It's dangerous for a woman alone on the Camino," he said in his raspy voice. "There are wolves!"

"That's ridiculous!" I retorted.

"No, it's true," he persisted. "There are many wolves along this route of the two-legged variety."

I laughed and resumed walking as he continued calling out behind me, "Be careful, girl! It's dangerous! Those wolves...."

As long as they're not werewolves.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll know there's a great specific which is said to offer protection from werewolves, and perhaps the two legged variety of wolf, too...eat plenty of garlic. ;)

You are more likely to meet bears in the Cantabrian mountains, portions of which are traversed between Astorga and Sarria. The population of bears is small so the odds of seeing one are minimal but it is bear country.

Cantabrian Brown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabrian_brown_bear
I never knew there were bears anywhere on the Camino. The only wild life I seen were two storks and a dead baby owl. I was more frightened by cows coming down the trail from La Faba. Have you seen the length of those horns. I just froze and prayed as they passed each side of me. Think I might prefer a bear :)

Haha, maybe few bears but according to an elderly Spanish man outside La Virgen, there are plenty of wolves on the Meseta.

As I headed toward Mazarife less than a mile after La Virgen, an old man hobbling along the road with his cane, sporting a jaunty cap called out to me.

"Hey," he yelled, "you're not walking alone are you?"

"Yes," I replied. "Why not?"

"It's dangerous for a woman alone on the Camino," he said in his raspy voice. "There are wolves!"

"That's ridiculous!" I retorted.

"No, it's true," he persisted. "There are many wolves along this route of the two-legged variety."

I laughed and resumed walking as he continued calling out behind me, "Be careful, girl! It's dangerous! Those wolves...."

Cougars too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll know there's a great specific which is said to offer protection from werewolves, and perhaps the two legged variety of wolf, too...eat plenty of garlic. ;)
Which is not difficult to do on the Camino...a little sopa de ajo, perhaps?

Which is not difficult to do on the Camino...a little sopa de ajo, perhaps?

The sopa de ajo would be an attractant for bears ... which really are dangerous even if the probability of an encounter on the camino is very low.

You don't know the meaning of fear until an upset mama grizzly/brown takes a charge at you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The sopa de ajo would be an attractant for bears ... which really are dangerous even if the probability of an encounter on the camino is very low.

You don't know the meaning of fear until an upset mama grizzly/brown takes a charge at you.
Whari, if you take a look at the posts above, you will see that the sopa de ajo is for warding off the werewolves and wolves.

No grizzlies in Europe. ;)

Ondo Ibili !

Cantabrian Brown would be considered a Grizzly here in Canada.

Wikipedia articles provide:

Eurasian brown bears (Ursus arctos arctos)

The grizzly bear (Ursus arctos ssp)

When it received its scientific name in 1815, the grizzly was classified as a separate species from all other bears. However, modern genetic testing reveals the grizzly to be a subspecies of the brown bear (Ursus arctos). So in Eurasia, it is the "brown bear"; in North America, it is the "grizzly".

Last edited by a moderator:
Whari, if you take a look at the posts above, you will see that the sopa de ajo is for warding off the werewolves and wolves.

Yeah, but the thread is about bears ... an actual hazard even if it is low probability. Unlike werewolves ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yeah, but the thread is about bears ... an actual hazard even if it is low probability. Unlike werewolves ...

True, true. No more sopa de ajo, peregrinos! ;)

Surely, wooden horses could present no threat. :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Timeo ursae et dona ferentes
The limits of my meagre education are exposed. I half remembered that as, 'Beware of Greeks bearing gifts'.:(
Hence, my mention of the Wooden horses.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back