• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

backpacks stolen from bus stations - be careful!

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés June 2013
Yesterday an american pilgrim came to our shop and told me that her backpack was stolen at Bilbao's main bus station just a few days ago. This is not the first time when i hear the similar story in last two years. When you travel with bus (ALSA) in Spain you are forced to put your backpack into the luggage rack of the bus because it is too big to take with you to the cabin. The thief waits until you get on the bus and just picks up your backpack from the luggage rack and runs away with it. The bus driver is alone, and he can not always monitor the backpacks and the passengers on the same time, and the luggage rack is open until the last passengers gets on the bus. Sometimes the pilgrims realise that their backpack was stolen only after they arrive to Pamplona!:-(

My suggestion is that don't get on the bus until the luggage rack is open! Wait next to the bus until the driver closes the door of the rack!

The thief infected bus stations are in Bilbao and San Sebastian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Novia had her purse pick pocketed and cash stolen in Madrid after walking the Camino two weeks ago . Hotel staff told us it happens to returning pilgrims in Madrid every day. Pick pockets watch the Metro, bus station, train station for disorientated , tired people carrying packs with shells. Easy targets that carry cash.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a simple technique that I use in situations where I must be separated from my rucksack. I obtained and carry with me in my rucksack at all times, A plastic, Nite-Ize "S-Biner" in size # 6. It weighs 45 grams (1.6 ounces). It measures 14.5 cm long by 6.5 cm wide and 1 cm thick. Here is the web page: http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Plastic.asp (NOTE: they are available in larger sizes.)

The size #6 S-Biner that I use has a weight rating of 50 pounds (23 kg). My pack, even when I was very new to the Camino and stupid, was never nearly that heavy. I started at 32 pounds (15.5 kg) last year and this year am finally down to about 11.5 kg. I am a big guy, and all my stuff is concomitantly larger and heavier.

Originally, I bought the S-Biner to hold my rucksack off the floor at albergues when the bunk beds had pipe-like frames to avoid water, dirt and insects. It works brilliantly at this. The two spring loaded "gates" open to 2.5 cm or about 1 inch.

Then I discovered, and am sharing here, a much better use. When I stop for coffee at a cafe, or line-up my rucksack outside an albergue if needed, I simply and discreetly clip my rucksack to something else; a chair, fence, pole, a pair of hiking sticks, etc.. Even an adjacent rucksack is adequate. I would rather apologize for accidentally clipping my bag to someone else's rucksack than have to replace all my gear. I should note that it also benefits the other person's stuff as well.

I always do the same thing on a bus or a train. If I cannot clip my bag to the luggage rack, or a structural piece of the bus's luggage hold, I just clip it to someone else's bag.

This way, if a thief tries to grab MY bag and make a run for it, he is grabbing two bags, or is attached to a solid object. This will make it virtually impossible for them to make a discreet or fast getaway. This makes it easier for them to be stopped or apprehended before they can figure out what is wrong.

Grabbing and running with 12 kg is one thing. But suddenly finding yourself carry twice that weight, and dragging it is not exactly what the thief is looking for. My simple "S" hook clip prevents a clean and quick getaway.

My S-Biner clip is in "lime green" as it most closely approximates my rucksack color. This S-Biner is available in about six colors. If you opt for a color that "blends" with your rucksack's prevalent color, a thief will not notice it as readily.

Yes, it is admittedly low-tech and not very secure in the sense of not being an elaborate lock. But I was was trying to find a reasonable solution that would be useful for more than one purpose. A carabiner, regardless of size, can always be used for multiple things. I was also trying to keep the weight down - as always.

Along the way, in two complete Camino Frances, I have also found that this S-Biner works as part of my expedient clothesline system, in an albergue or outside. it is very good at hanging anything fairly heavy or solid off a floor like wet boots, or hiking sticks. it excels at holding one end of a hiking pole extended and hung horizontally to serve as a field-expedient clothes line.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a simple technique that I use in situations where I must be separated from my rucksack. I obtained and carry with me in my rucksack at all times, A plastic, Nite-Ize "S-Biner" in size # 6...

...Grabbing and running with 12 kg is one thing. But suddenly finding yourself carry twice that weight, and dragging it is not exactly what the thief is looking for. My simple "S" hook clip prevents a clean and quick getaway...

That's a good idea, but it didn't prevent someone from stealing our backpacks from the pension where we stayed in Santiago after completing our Camino last fall. We had our two backpacks plus two small daypacks all clipped together with a carabiner, and they were still taken. The story had a good ending though, as reported here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lost-and-found.21768/

Jim

Jim:

I am sorry for your experience and happy that it sort of worked out in the end. My idea was never intended to be a guaranteed preventative measure, only a deterrent.

If it deters, slows down or impairs a theft attempt, then it worked. One of the things I do is to try to hide the point where the carabiner connects stuff so it is not viewable at a casual glance. I frequently toss my hat or a buff over it.

Thanks for the opportunity to elaborate.

Hi Tom,

I wasn't trying to dissuade anyone from using a caribiner or s-clip, but just showing that a determined thief (or one who has more that moment to figure things out) can overcome a simple deterrent. The sad truth was that I did have a locking device, but after becoming accustomed to the relative security out on the Camino it didn't even occur to me to use it. The situation in the big cities is something else entirely. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now, especially since our loss was not as catastrophic as it could have been had it occurred earlier in the journey like the person whose pack was stolen at the bus station at the very beginning of her Camino. I hope our experience as well as yours will be helpful to future pilgrims.

Ultreia,
Jim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is our concern all the time in Spain. At the bus station in Santiago,In Vigo, in Porto , never the luggagecompartment was attended by ALSA nor Monbus staff.
So we attended ourselves, preventing that our bagpacks could be stolen.
But this idiot system goes further. coming back from Santiago last May to Ferrol, the local bus who brought us to Valdoviño stopped at every busstop in the city and the driver opened the luggage compartment by a push on a button from his seat and people who came from the market or shopping placed their bags, boxes ,prams and so on next to our bagpacks . Everybody could steal out of these compartments easily at every stop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yes, if you must leave your bag in the luggage hold, then sit on the same side of the bus as your bag so you can watch when the bus stops along the route.

I have a simple technique that I use in situations where I must be separated from my rucksack. I obtained and carry with me in my rucksack at all times, A plastic, Nite-Ize "S-Biner" in size # 6. It weighs 45 grams (1.6 ounces). It measures 14.5 cm long by 6.5 cm wide and 1 cm thick. Here is the web page: http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Plastic.asp (NOTE: they are available in larger sizes.)

I haven't quoted the whole post, but Andreo this is very useful. I love the many different uses you have come up with too. After 7 caminos, I always have more to learn!

I can imagine a whole conga-line of backpacks clipped together outside a cafe or albergue.....

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The bus driver on my trip from A Coruña to Ferrol last month was not out watching the hold when I boarded, so I told him "my bag is below" and looked at him for a couple of extra seconds (smiling, so in a nice way) before taking a seat where I could see the side from the rear view mirror. He then got out of the bus and stood outside until we left, and I kept an eye on it too. On my return from Santiago to Coruña, I actually considered buying 2 seats (€6 each) for peace of mind, but decided against it since I was heading home the following day and just put my bag in the hold.

Not sure how the bus agencies would look at the two seat option, but if I were going through one of the stations mentioned above at the start of my camino, I myself might give it serious consideration.

The size #6 S-Biner that I use has a weight rating of 50 pounds (23 kg). My pack, even when I was very new to the Camino and stupid, was never nearly that heavy. I started at 32 pounds (15.5 kg) last year and this year am finally down to about 11.5 kg. I am a big guy, and all my stuff is concomitantly larger and heavier.

Originally, I bought the S-Biner to hold my rucksack off the floor at albergues when the bunk beds had pipe-like frames to avoid water, dirt and insects. It works brilliantly at this. The two spring loaded "gates" open to 2.5 cm or about 1 inch.

Then I discovered, and am sharing here, a much better use. When I stop for coffee at a cafe, or line-up my rucksack outside an albergue if needed, I simply and discreetly clip my rucksack to something else; a chair, fence, pole, a pair of hiking sticks, etc.. Even an adjacent rucksack is adequate. I would rather apologize for accidentally clipping my bag to someone else's rucksack than have to replace all my gear. I should note that it also benefits the other person's stuff as well.

I always do the same thing on a bus or a train. If I cannot clip my bag to the luggage rack, or a structural piece of the bus's luggage hold, I just clip it to someone else's bag.

This way, if a thief tries to grab MY bag and make a run for it, he is grabbing two bags, or is attached to a solid object. This will make it virtually impossible for them to make a discreet or fast getaway. This makes it easier for them to be stopped or apprehended before they can figure out what is wrong.

Grabbing and running with 12 kg is one thing. But suddenly finding yourself carry twice that weight, and dragging it is not exactly what the thief is looking for. My simple "S" hook clip prevents a clean and quick getaway.

My S-Biner clip is in "lime green" as it most closely approximates my rucksack color. This S-Biner is available in about six colors. If you opt for a color that "blends" with your rucksack's prevalent color, a thief will not notice it as readily.

Yes, it is admittedly low-tech and not very secure in the sense of not being an elaborate lock. But I was was trying to find a reasonable solution that would be useful for more than one purpose. A carabiner, regardless of size, can always be used for multiple things. I was also trying to keep the weight down - as always.

Along the way, in two complete Camino Frances, I have also found that this S-Biner works as part of my expedient clothesline system, in an albergue or outside. it is very good at hanging anything fairly heavy or solid off a floor like wet boots, or hiking sticks. it excels at holding one end of a hiking pole extended and hung horizontally to serve as a field-expedient clothes line.

Low-teck is good. The idea is to cause the thief to pause and reconsider. He/she grabs a bag and there is resistance they will let go and look for a easer target. Time is the thiefs friend but also their enemy.

Tip for anyone scared of losing precious photos: when you come across a spot with good wifi load your photos from your phone or camera to a cloud or online storage system like dropbox. If you phone or camera is lost or stolen your pics are still safe. You can also take pics of your sellos on your pilgrim passport and load them up too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, if you must leave your bag in the luggage hold, then sit on the same side of the bus as your bag so you can watch when the bus stops along the route.
Look at the added picture on my comment above your comment how high the compartmentdoors lift ! We did the same as you said but could not oversee the situation from inside the bus so decided to keep close to our belongings untill the driver was due to leave and close the doors.

Thanksfor

Thanks for the tip. I am on my way now to the outdoor shop to buy two of those S Biners for our backpacks .

We used the similar system, a carabiner for low protection, on the trains in the UK where there are stories of thieves boarding and getting of at the next station with stolen baggage, (you cant always get a seat close to the luggage racks to keep your eye on things). Whereas someone struggling with a piece of luggage you might just get a sight of . I also noted that our bags were vunrable at the bus station in La Coruna with the sides of the bus wde open but there was nothing in there to secure them to, so we just took a seat where we hoped we might spot anything shifty going on!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for the good advice. I was planning to store my luggage in the storage lockers at Bilbao's bus station a few hours, since I need to wait there for a while. Anyone who has experienced if the luggage can be left secure there?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.