Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bar Open in Borres

peregrina2000

Staff member
Borres is the little hamlet where Primitivo pilgrims have to make the choice between taking the Hospitales route to Puente del Palo or going on to Pola de Allande and from there up to Puente del Palo on a less remote path.

Borres has an albergue, which has always been of questionable hygenic standards. The good news is that there is now a bar open in the village, apparently run by a very wonderful woman, and she has been trying to let the powers that be authorize her to clean the albergue. But in any event, even though you may not have a clean place to sleep in Borres (and I've heard varying reports), you can now eat there!

Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also worth noting: it opens at 6am! Makes it easy for early risers to get some caffeine in their system before tackling the Hospitales route.

Dave,

Did you sleep in Borres? What was the albergue like? I have slept in Campiello and gone to Berducedo via Hospitales, but starting from Borres would have made that stretch a lot more relaxing. Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It lived down to expectations. The main problem was flies--they were everywhere. I didn't find the beds or showers to be unacceptably dirty, though I'm less sensitive than others. But, the flies would have made sleep--or even sitting--difficult. My group bought fly swatters, fly-catching strips, and some other stuff in the store in Campiello (they're actually well stocked with fly-killing accessories) and had ourselves a party in the albergue. An hour later, things were much better!

I'd encourage others to approach Borres the same way--use your donativo to buy supplies to tidy it up. Be the hospitalero for a day.

Ok, so here are my follow-up questions. How did you know to buy all of this fly killing equipment when you walked through Campiello?

And can you tell us anything about the bar in Borres? Thanks, Dave - Laurie

We didn't! We were a little nervous about bed space, so we moved at a good pace to Borres, planning to stroll back to Campiello later for lunch and supplies (we had been walking from Irun, so a couple of extra flat kms didn't feel like much of a hurdle). Once we spent two minutes in the albergue in Borres, though, we knew that we needed to get some supplies.

The bar is very friendly. Bocadillos are available for lunch/dinner. Breakfast is pretty basic--coffee and wrapped pastries. No proper meals, but certainly enough calories to keep you moving. Many of us spent a considerable amount of time there (really nice bathrooms and clean water--the tap water in the albergue is pretty nasty, though it didn't make us sick) and they were fine with it. I suspect that's pretty common, as it's the only game in town.

In the end, Borres was a good experience. Given that Campiello is up to 13 euros now, it's nice to have a cheap alternative. As you said, it's also handy to be able to launch straight into the Hospitales (we were lucky that it was a clear morning). And, after having been blessed with wonderful hospitaleros in Cornellana and Bodenaya, it was kind of cool to be able to make some positive contributions on our own.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just returned home 2 weeks ago from the Primitivo. I stayed in Campiello as I had heard that the albergue in Borres was in pretty rough shape. Some people I had walked with during the day, on the way to Campiello, decided to keep going to Borres. When I met up with them a few days later, they said that the albergue was indeed not good. Garbage hadn't been emptied, bathroom dirty etc.

I did stop at the bar in Borres for breakfast. The woman running it was wonderful and provided a great breakfast. Large slices of toast with butter and jam, cheese and great coffee. And as Dave mentioned...really nice clean bathroom.

Dave & Laurie ~ you were both invaluable sources of information for me as I planned this trip. Thank you - So appreciated!

Laurie ~ your accounts of the route really provided great advance (and daily) info.

Dave ~ I found your guide book to be very clear and easy to use. Very accurate route info. I was going to contact you and mention the new bar in Borres (which you already know about). The other update that may be useful is the Hotel Chao Samartin in Castro. When I arrived in Castro the albergue had been booked by a group. I was very tired and starting to gear up for a longer walk that day when the hospitalera told me about the hotel run by Begonia - a very nice woman. It was 40 euro but I decided this would be my treat day after a couple of longer tough days. It was great to spend a day in this pretty little village and explore the nearby archeological site as well. Even though I couldn't stay in the albergue I was able to have a delicous dinner there.

Ah, we missed out on the toast! I guess she was out that day.

Thanks for the feedback, Theatregal. I've stayed in Grandas each time I've walked, but the following morning, as I pass through Castro, I always regret not having pushed on a bit farther the day before. We'll make a note of the hotel.

It's also worth noting that the old restaurant on the Embalse de Salime has been transformed into a new hotel/restaurant - Hotel Las Grandas. This was another great development, as there's now a place for food and drinks between Berducedo and Grandas. It's a beautiful spot.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, we missed out on the toast! I guess she was out that day.

Thanks for the feedback, Theatregal. I've stayed in Grandas each time I've walked, but the following morning, as I pass through Castro, I always regret not having pushed on a bit farther the day before. We'll make a note of the hotel.

It's also worth noting that the old restaurant on the Embalse de Salime has been transformed into a new hotel/restaurant - Hotel Las Grandas. This was another great development, as there's now a place for food and drinks between Berducedo and Grandas. It's a beautiful spot.
We enjoyed a late lunch at the Hotel Las Grandas at El Salto, just above the embalse, and spent the night there too. As it was Sunday there were bocadillos in the bar at night. Very kind and friendly folk. A useful stop for anyone wanting to avoid the final 6km uphill to Grandas at the end of the walk from Berducedo via Buspol. We chose to stop over in Grandas too before continuing to Castro and the albergue there because we were museum visiting at both, but El Salto to Castro is a good short day's walk.

@Tia Valeria

I can't find any info on prices for this hotel on their web site. Can you provide some, please?
Muchas gracias :)

@Tia Valeria

I can't find any info on prices for this hotel on their web site. Can you provide some, please?
Muchas gracias :)
We had an 'a la carte' midday meal, several drinks and bocadillos, plus bed and breakfast which came to 90€ for the 2 of us. It compared well in value with the private room etc at Herminia's in Campiello, where we were also well looked after.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Borres was tolerable. The bar certainly made up for any deficiencies in the albergue. I had a great combination plate with sidra. And the coffee in the morning was very good. I carried a huge bocadillo from there which I finished today! I would recommend it for jumping off for the Hospitals route!

Attachments

• 1380986058647.jpg
    1380986058647.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 16

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back