• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos scam: "safe" place to leave your pack

LarryBC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPP (2013)
Camino Finnisterre (2013)
Caminho Portugues (2014)
We arrived fairly early at the Jesuit albergue, "Emaus" one of the first albergues in Burgos, about two hours before the two o'clock opening sign. A young Italian couple had arrived just ahead of us. We were milling about, thinking about getting a coffee, when a young man wearing a crucifix, who spoke very good English said it's ok to leave our packs by the door, or even in the church "everyone does and it's completely safe". You get lulled into a sense of trust on the Camino, but this didn't sound right to me, so we moved on. The Italian couple took his advice, and when they returned a couple hours later, one of their packs was gone. Fortunately, they kept their cash, credentials etc in a bag with them, but clothes, toiletries, backpack, spare footwear were gone.

Sad, but hopefully others won't fall victim.

Larry

http://janlarrycamino.blogspot.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Seems Burgos is getting a bad rap.

However given some of the more recent reports it might wise to not leave your belongings unattended outside some the albergues in the major urban centres.

My wife reported to me that people have warned her about gypsies mugging people along the camino river route into Burgos, but I have yet to read anything to support this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it ok to leave it in inside the Albergue once you check in and then wish to go get dinner or tour the town?

That's safer, but not completely risk free. One should always have valuables close even in an albergue. There have been several discussions on how best to manage personal security when you have stopped walking for the day where you will find good advice on this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Read this recent Forum thread with useful tips on camino security.
Some albergues do have lockers with keys which are handy for stowing your pack. Never leave unwatched what you can't afford to lose.

I have medium priced good quality equipment but nothing fancy, no bling, ie nothing that anyone would want to take from me; no fanny pack nor camera bag. Discretion is protection; I have traveled the world, often alone, but ALWAYS discreetly.

MM

Last edited:
I'm sad to say that I'm hearing more reports of theft on the Camino this year than ever before. There was a bit of a raid in one albergue in Puente la Reina a few nights back, and several cameras and phones were stolen from backpacks during the night while pilgrims slept.

My philosophy is to always do my part, meaning keep an eye on my bag, keep my true valuables with me at all times, and lean towards caution at all times. If I do my part and am still robbed, then perhaps I didn't need those items anyway! (But I've never been robbed in all my travels...)

This is definately unfortunate but please do not let this deter people from going to Emaus! I am surprised that so few people stay in this very clean, quiet albergue run by Marie-Noëlle. And the river road is a wonderful entry into Burgos- even saw a baptism in progress when I passed by.

It is common practice to leave your pack by your bed in albergues once you have checked in but as others have stated ALWAYS have your important papers/money on you - no matter if it is just for a moment while you slip into the bathroom. I am trusting of others but prudent. Even this summer with only 6 other pilgrims in the albergues along the Sanabrés - fellow pilgrims whom I very much trusted - my small purse never left my side (phone/camera, passport, credencial, money/cards). It is just a good habit to have.

I have also worked twice as a volunteer hospitalera along the Francés and just want to mention the following: we can not be responsible for your backpack and its contents, whether during normal opening hours or before. While cleaning in the morning we often have people ask if they could leave their pack while having a coffee, etc. Please understand that hospitaleros are in and out of the albergue running errands, hanging up laundry, etc. and can't also care for your belongings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's safer, but not completely risk free. One should always have valuables close even in an albergue. There have been several discussions on how best to manage personal security when you have stopped walking for the day where you will find good advice on this.
Thanks Doug. I will search for those threads. Ed

This is definately unfortunate but please do not let this deter people from going to Emaus! I am surprised that so few people stay in this very clean, quiet albergue run by Marie-Noëlle. And the river road is a wonderful entry into Burgos- even saw a baptism in progress when I passed by.

It is common practice to leave your pack by your bed in albergues once you have checked in but as others have stated ALWAYS have your important papers/money on you - no matter if it is just for a moment while you slip into the bathroom. I am trusting of others but prudent. Even this summer with only 6 other pilgrims in the albergues along the Sanabrés - fellow pilgrims whom I very much trusted - my small purse never left my side (phone/camera, passport, credencial, money/cards). It is just a good habit to have.

I have also worked twice as a volunteer hospitalera along the Francés and just want to mention the following: we can not be responsible for your backpack and its contents, whether during normal opening hours or before. While cleaning in the morning we often have people ask if they could leave their pack while having a coffee, etc. Please understand that hospitaleros are in and out of the albergue running errands, hanging up laundry, etc. and can't also care for your belongings.
Thank you LT for the very detailed response to my question. Looks like my pack and me will become "one" during my Camino. Ed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sad to say that I'm hearing more reports of theft on the Camino this year than ever before. There was a bit of a raid in one albergue in Puente la Reina a few nights back, and several cameras and phones were stolen from backpacks during the night while pilgrims slept.

My philosophy is to always do my part, meaning keep an eye on my bag, keep my true valuables with me at all times, and lean towards caution at all times. If I do my part and am still robbed, then perhaps I didn't need those items anyway! (But I've never been robbed in all my travels...)
Thank you for the response guess I will not only keep my valuables with me in the shower but also on me in bed whilst I sleep.

In the beginning it may feel odd to always carry your valuables with you. But, I assure you, most people are doing it. After a while it will become second nature and no one will notice or take offense.

What are your valuables? Perhaps your cash (not too much), your credit card, your passport, your phone, your camera (if you have a separate one), your electronic device, such as iPad/iPod, and, especially, your CREDENCIA!! At night, you can easily stuff most of these in the bottom of your sleeping bag for your peace of mind.

For me, the most problematic issue was figuring out how to safely charge my phone without needing to babysit it while it charged.

The items I would have been most upset about losing - the things that would have been absolutely irreplaceable for me - were my photos and my credencia. Not necessarily in that order.

Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

Kathy

PS - I walked the entire CF and never had anything stolen.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I do my part and am still robbed, then perhaps I didn't need those items anyway! (But I've never been robbed in all my travels...)
Stealing is the taking of someone's property, other than from their person by force or threat. Robbery is the taking of property from the person, usually with the element of threat of violence. I know that occasionally the terms are casually interchanged, but in the interest of avoiding misunderstand or hyperbole we may wish to reserve the use of the term "robbery" for only those circumstances. :)

The simplest way to approach this issue, in my opinion is:

CRITICALLY ASSESS EVERYTHING YOU ARE TAKING WITH YOU ON THE CAMINO:

a) What can you NOT afford to lose? Keep that stuff on you 24/7 (probably will include cash, credit cards, passport, electronics)
b) What can you replace at the nearest outfitters (pack, clothes, sandals, toiletries)? Leave it in the albergue when you go out for dinner (not entirely risk-free, but a minimum hassle to replace)
You could claim any stolen gear on your insurance, if you have that kind of coverage.
Or just roll with it.
Here is one of the previous discussions. There are several.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...e-camino-ipad-camera-phone.18992/#post-140201

Stealing is the taking of someone's property, other than from their person by force or threat. Robbery is the taking of property from the person, usually with the element of threat of violence. I know that occasionally the terms are casually interchanged, but in the interest of avoiding misunderstand or hyperbole we may wish to reserve the use of the term "robbery" for only those circumstances.

I've never been robbed, nor have I ever had anything stolen from me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have an Anti-Theft net that wraps around my pack & padlocks onto a post etc etc , a potential thief would need to carry an oxy torch,or bolt cutters to steal my pack,from memory $30 from an outdoors & camping shop.Still got my pack,so it must be working.................:)...........Vicrev

I have found this one http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector . It doesn´t say how much it weighs but it seems a bit dear to me. The down side of one of these things is thieves would take more of a notice because of the mesh & lock. Like " hey look at me I´ve got valuable things inside."

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A bit like saying " I won't lock my car, thieves will think there is something worth stealing inside ! " :rolleyes:.................mine is 354 grams & worth every dollar for peace of mind !.....:).....Vicrev

In the beginning it may feel odd to always carry your valuables with you. But, I assure you, most people are doing it. After a while it will become second nature and no one will notice or take offense.

What are your valuables? Perhaps your cash (not too much), your credit card, your passport, your phone, your camera (if you have a separate one), your electronic device, such as iPad/iPod, and, especially, your CREDENCIA!! At night, you can easily stuff most of these in the bottom of your sleeping bag for your peace of mind.

For me, the most problematic issue was figuring out how to safely charge my phone without needing to babysit it while it charged.

The items I would have been most upset about losing - the things that would have been absolutely irreplaceable for me - were my photos and my credencia. Not necessarily in that order.

Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

Kathy

PS - I walked the entire CF and never had anything stolen.
Kathy - I became use to sleeping with "extra's" in the bottom of my sleeping bag and finally they became a part of me. On the issue of charging I was fortunate to find bunks very near an electrical plug so charged up while doing so clothes sorting or writing a brief journal note or waiting for the washing to dry. SMII

I felt very uncomfortable in Burgos especially around the bus station and just outside the old city by the river. A lot of undesirable looking characters hanging around so be careful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What made them look undesirable ? ........Iv'e always wondered about that.......(hope the question is not too far off topic;) ).....................keep smiling......:)..........Vicrev

Good question ? It is a bad term used loosely, how can I explain it without sounding snobish or defensive, While sitting in the park that fronts the river in Burgos (on my own with my backpack) , I noticed a man sat directly opposite me, after a few minutes two others joined him both had been drinking heavily. One of the men came over and asked for a cigarette I dont smoke, so I moved quickly away after apologising a back to the old city. I felt threatened. Without seeming paranoid they were people I did not desire or want to spend time with socially ! I have been around rough areas in the past and commonsense tells me who and what to avoid this was such an occasion. Sorry about the term

No need to apologise at all,Mick,I just asked to see if you had the same inbuilt warning system as me ,a warning bell goes off & I remove myself from the potential situation A.S.A.P.............:)...........Vicrev

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I felt very uncomfortable in Burgos especially around the bus station and just outside the old city by the river. A lot of undesirable looking characters hanging around so be careful.

Hello mick,

Undesirable??? Have you ever considered maybe these people were homeless due to the economic crisis in spain. There are many, many spaniards who either lost their homes due to inability to pay their mortgages or evicted from their homes due to inability to pay their rents.

Please be a bit compassionate. As long as they are not physically threatening you, do not pass judgement so quickly. I volunteer every christmas working in london for a homeless charity, this gives me a chance to see the other side of the coin. I always count my blessing for what i have, not being envious for what i don't have.

Buen camino and god bless.

Most of us have an 'in-built warning system', some listen and others ignore it. Having lived with situations where there were folk knocking at the door for help I learnt to listen. Some 'gentlemen of the road' were just that, down on their luck and in need. They were gracious however disreputable they appeared, and grateful for any help given however little. Others may have appeared more 'respectable' but gave off warning signals like an alarm bell.
Quietly moving away from such situations need not be judgemental, but is often wise. I can think of occasions when this has been necessary.

A different 'nudge' may lead one to give help and a smile with it.
I remember the tramp who always came with his tin can on days when the church was serving coffee after the service, having had breakfast at the local convent :), and a 'traveller' recently sitting in the bus station who was grateful that I simply smiled at her as I went past and thanked me.
HH

Hello mick,

Undesirable??? Have you ever considered maybe these people were homeless due to the economic crisis in spain. There are many, many spaniards who either lost their homes due to inability to pay their mortgages or evicted from their homes due to inability to pay their rents.

Please be a bit compassionate. As long as they are not physically threatening you, do not pass judgement so quickly. I volunteer every christmas working in london for a homeless charity, this gives me a chance to see the other side of the coin. I always count my blessing for what i have, not being envious for what i don't have.

Buen camino and god bless.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe it was not P.C. of me to use the term "undesirable" I was just making pilgrims aware of an area I found uncomfortable in, that way pilgrims can take my observations on board or not. I have been in many dangerous situations in the past and I know when to stay or go. "So I went" .

Maybe it was not P.C. of me to use the term "undesirable" I was just making pilgrims aware of an area I found uncomfortable in, that way pilgrims can take my observations on board or not. I have been in many dangerous situations in the past and I know when to stay or go. "So I went" .
MickMac I understood you perfectly well, "undesirable" is whatever is "undesirable" to you. Given we're an international forum I imagine many of us are un PC a lot of the time. Hurrah for that !
yours, undesirably....

I think the common expression is "unsavory types". Not to one's taste, and there's no arguing about taste.

It's really not a question of "desire" I don't imagine, though people have been known to hang around stations for all sorts of reasons.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.