• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

C. Aragones-forgotten?

A

Anonymous

The Camino Aragones, from Somport to Puente La Reina, is the second Camino, after the Camino Primitivo (Interior), that was transited by pilgrims in olden times.

For a long time it was the most frequented Camino, until, because of political/economic strife, the Camino Frances replaced it as the most popular Camino, being so to this day.

It is right smack in the Pyrenees, not terribly hard to walk, with a beautiful and peaceful scenery. Though pilgrims start it at the Col de Somport, it's really a continuation of roads that come from France and as far as Italy.

It's little transited most of the time, without a doubt for those that like roads less traveled.

The Camino Aragones has a great infrastructure of albergues, as well as a deep-rooted, Camino related, history, architecture, art, and more.

Some of the places you'll "experience" on the "Aragones" would be Jaca, with its unique cathedral, San Juan de la Peña, Sanguesa, and Eunate, this last one being one of the Caminos' jewels, with a most important connection to the Templar Knights.

In seven days of walking it you'd connect with the Camino Frances at Puente la Reina, then on to Compostela.

This summer am planning on starting it at Oloron-St-Marie, in France, 3-4 days prior to reaching the Summus Portus.

I highly recommend it.

Buen Camino,

xm 8)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
...The Camino Aragones...September 1999 we had to walk up the road to Somport because the footpath was unsafe then. It should be good now."

Hi Marion, as far as last summer, it was ok. Like u, I love this Camino, maybe because it was the first one I walked, with good friends from diff parts of Spain. In a few weeks I hope to experience it for the fourth time, starting at Oloron, instead of the Summus Portus, need to vary the scenery somewhat :!: It would be nice to hear more about your experiences on the "Aragones." Best, xm 8)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back